Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i really like war horse the premise is kind of gimmicky but i thought the metaphor was brilliant for all practical intents and purposes joey the horse has exactly the same level of agency as all the supposedly more intelligent human characters hes brutalized to death for reasons so incomprehensible no one even bothers trying to explain them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

KozmoNaut posted:

Has anyone made a properly realistic WW1 movie, with all the hopelessness and and horror of prolonged trench warfare faithfully portrayed? Would people watch it, or would it be too much?

Journey's End is pretty hosed up.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

Has anyone made a properly realistic WW1 movie, with all the hopelessness and and horror of prolonged trench warfare faithfully portrayed? Would people watch it, or would it be too much?

Deathwatch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

are these continuity errors with other star treks or continuity errors within itself

the answer is safely yes

And they managed to piss off everyone since they had some gay people and killed them off as quickly as they possibly could

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

they had some gay people and killed them off as quickly as they possibly could

tbf they rectified that in Season 2

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

tbf they rectified that in Season 2

From what I gather most of season 2 is panicked backpedalling from season 1 without really understanding why people are pissed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kill All Cops posted:

Oscar cutoff date was Oct 1 and Frozen 2 came out in Nov, twitter guy

thats only for documentaries, regular features are tied to the calendar year

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

kind of surprised they still have some of those obviously stupid ancient rules for documentaries given that for the most part they updated them to include basic obvious standards like has to have aired in a place that people could actually see it without having to rely on screeners given out by the director

never forget that guy who intentionally only made copies of his munich massacre documentary available to people he was reasonably sure would vote for it to win and then bragged about his rules lawyering in his acceptance speech

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

KozmoNaut posted:

The 1930s movie adaptation of All Quiet on the Western Front still holds up

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
There's a Gallipoli miniseries on Amazon. It's pretty good. There's a weird subplot about the main guy wanting to bang his sister-in-law but other than that it does a good job showing the horrors and absurdities of WW1. The subplot doesn't take up much time.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Chwoka posted:

haven't seen it, but word is that All Quiet is harrowing, which makes sense 'cause it's in living memory of ww1. but it also probably isn't that realistic, considering it was hollywood oscar-bait pretty much exactly as early as that was a thing movies could be

I don't know about the movie, but All Quiet is a great high school book for Americans because it's told from the perspective of our "enemies" in that war, so it could hopefully put some cognitive dissonance in people.

Then again maybe everyone reads it and goes "heh Germans are whiny babies".

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I'll also add while I bet there was some bullshit in Across Five Aprils, and it focused on these poor white brothers forced to fight each other in the Civil War (which was about something but I can't put my finger on it), it was a good "war sucks actually book".

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
Probably can throw Johnny Got His Gun onto the pile of WW1 stories that (traumatizingly) anti-war. Reading it outside of assigned reading in high school was a pretty formative experience. Don't know about the movie, but since trumbo did the adaptation it's probably decent true to his point.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Journey's End is pretty hosed up.

yeah this

the playwright was determined to make his play at least relatively accurate to front-line conditions as he remembered them - dirty and soul-crushing - and man does it ever come through

the 2018 film is really good imo, and the 1930 film is also pretty good but impossible to find in decent quality

would recommend

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thinking over it a little the weird part of the whole wil wheaton to appear on tv show talking about star trek picard is that wheaton isnt just like appearing in the actual show the whole premise is that elderly retired picard is doing low level adventuring and reflecting on his life wesley crusher is a really obvious vehicle of addressing that because he was literally a child during tng and picard was his only apparent father figure

i mean granted everyone hates wesley crusher thats like his whole gimmick but thats why the idea would be dramatically interesting i actually am kind of curious what happened to wesley crusher in the last thirty years every other character is just predictably more modestly successful versions of their older selves but wesley could be anything from a hypercompetent autist whose hero worship of picard makes him uncomfortable to a bitter jaded alcoholic who felt like he couldnt live up to his potential and blames picard for it

the only reason i can come up with for wesley crusher not being around but seven of nine showing up is that for all its pretensions star trek picard is planning to be more about fanservice than it is about really delving into the character and taking risks and thats my skeptical take about star trek picard that doesnt involve brexit thanks for reading

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is the audience hates Wesley and now also Wheaton since he turned out to be a fake woke abuse enabler

At least Neelix's actor as far as anyone knows seems alright

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so Netflix comes out with Operation Finale in August of 2018, The Red Sea Diving Resort in July of 2019, and then The Spy in September of 2019.

is it just me, or is there some kind of media propaganda push about the Mossad?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wouldnt surprise me there was also little drummer girl during that same time period interesting how all of these are historical dramas from before any of us were born since no one can argue with a straight face that anything mossad is doing right now isnt a war crime

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Aside from seeing the plays in the theater, what's the best way to enjoy Bethold Brecht if you haven't seen or read anything by him? Are there films or recordings to stage performances worth looking at or is it better to just read the plays?

Grevling has issued a correction as of 15:22 on Jan 16, 2020

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the first season of discovery had such dogshit incoherent writing that i will never again watch anything produced by alex kurtzman. i couldn’t believe how stupid it was

picard will be poo poo too

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

Oscar cutoff date was Oct 1 and Frozen 2 came out in Nov, twitter guy

It got a nom for best song:norway:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Yes but it was a British comedy series from the 80s.

(The last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth is a surprisingly grim and poignant look at the realities of "oh poo poo, these people who've been having wacky dumb hijinks in the middle of a brutal war are actually for real going to die for no goddamn reason".)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

THS posted:

the first season of discovery had such dogshit incoherent writing that i will never again watch anything produced by alex kurtzman. i couldn’t believe how stupid it was

picard will be poo poo too

Yeah it's going to be the same breathless sprinting around, unearned sentiment, and nonsensical plotting as Discovery. I can't comment on season 2 but season 1 was some of the worst television I've seen

The fact that they called the dog #1 should be hint enough for anyone that it's going to suck rear end

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

docbeard posted:

(The last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth is a surprisingly grim and poignant look at the realities of "oh poo poo, these people who've been having wacky dumb hijinks in the middle of a brutal war are actually for real going to die for no goddamn reason".)

even captain darling got a sympathetic portrayal in the end

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Grevling posted:

Aside from seeing the plays in the theater, what's the best way to enjoy Bethold Brecht if you haven't seen or read anything by him? Are there films or recordings to stage performances worth looking at or is it better to just read the plays?

I doubt I’m being controversial here in saying Mother Courage and Her Children is the best thing he ever wrote and you should see it live if you can. If not there was a German film version made in the 60s

Also, he wrote music and I occasionally post the Momus cover of one of his songs in the Trump thread. You have to enjoy Momus to like it, more than you need to like Brecht.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAhYrSOm-mY

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Passchendaele, but only because it's a terrible Canadian movie and not because of the movie's actual text

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOFatKD0Vzo

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Yeah it's going to be the same breathless sprinting around, unearned sentiment, and nonsensical plotting as Discovery. I can't comment on season 2 but season 1 was some of the worst television I've seen

The fact that they called the dog #1 should be hint enough for anyone that it's going to suck rear end

i didnt even care about the spore drive or mirror universe stuff. whatever, it’s sci fi, it can be schlock. i was more shocked about stuff like things not happening in sequential order or with any consistency within the same episodes. it’s like 3 different writers worked on each episode, weren’t allowed to talk to eachother, and then no one bothered to edit the script before they started shooting

the quality gap between std and the expanse, which while rushed at times, at least made sense, was really incredible

THS
Sep 15, 2017

berman and braga burned star trek into ashes, now flushed down the toilet by kurtzman

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Daniel Radcliffe was really great in Swiss Army Man.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

mysterious frankie posted:

I doubt I’m being controversial here in saying Mother Courage and Her Children is the best thing he ever wrote and you should see it live if you can. If not there was a German film version made in the 60s

Also, he wrote music and I occasionally post the Momus cover of one of his songs in the Trump thread. You have to enjoy Momus to like it, more than you need to like Brecht.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAhYrSOm-mY

Thanks! I guess I'll just pay attention and see if his plays get staged anywhere.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Daniel Radcliffe was really great in Swiss Army Man.

i think he's a pretty good actor who is set for life and can now just do whatever weird poo poo he wants forever. better than trying become an even bigger star

also is it just me or is "people forced to kill each other for entertainment purposes" becoming more and more common as a concept

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Grevling posted:

Thanks! I guess I'll just pay attention and see if his plays get staged anywhere.

Godard would maybe be the best example of a filmmaker working in the brechtian style, and his movies are a lot of fun to boot.

Also it looks like there was a good film adaptation of Threepenny Opera made by Pabst, according to google, and now I know what I’m watching this weekend haha.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Serf posted:

also is it just me or is "people forced to kill each other for entertainment purposes" becoming more and more common as a concept

I think it kind of dovetails with the conditions that gave rise to our current modern anxiety over spree shooters rising out of the trash to kill each other (inconvenient) and possibly start a mass movement (terrifying), with the wealthy liberal perception of the fear best presented via Joker. Except where the Joker places itself in a cinematic 70s, free from the expectation to examine specific material conditions its creators might share blame in, writers addressing the same collapse of society from a contemporary perspective are gonna come to the conclusion that someone out there would see the misery and say “I bet there’s money here” and from that realization flows the plot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

THS posted:

i didnt even care about the spore drive or mirror universe stuff. whatever, it’s sci fi, it can be schlock. i was more shocked about stuff like things not happening in sequential order or with any consistency within the same episodes. it’s like 3 different writers worked on each episode, weren’t allowed to talk to eachother, and then no one bothered to edit the script before they started shooting

the quality gap between std and the expanse, which while rushed at times, at least made sense, was really incredible

I think the most hilarious part is how they try to sell this show as being meaningful and poignant and relevant based off of Star Trek's previous reputation, and at best it's a disjointed offensive mess that stands for nothing. And since the fans screaming the loudest about how bad it is are right-wing reactionary dipshits what are the odds will get better? I hope what they're complaining about is true and P-Stew wants his show to be a kind of rebuttal to that horseshit but I'm not dumb enough to expect that.

Like modern Star Trek is so shity it comes off like it's been written by Hillary Clinton staffers or something, every other contemporary space show runs circles around this poo poo

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

chris hedges is right all people want is entertainment to help them zone out and escape reality because things suck real bad right now

the rich people are going to let us all dehydrate, starve and die of exposure when the environmental crisis destroys organized human life and i think we all know it

but instead of doing the needful it's much easier to binge netflix

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1217959010097254400?s=20

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thank god that show loving sucked

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I watched maybe three episodes of that before falling asleep and have never gone back to it.

Same for The Boys, but it sounds like that one I should take another run at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Boys is good

:rip: to everyone who watched all of a new David Lindelof show lol