Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought SMT was already Pokémon for non-casuals. Gacha games are like Pokémon but for people with poor impulse control or budgeting skills or both.

Not sure why Nintendo hasn't done a Pokémon gacha yet, but maybe they're not ready to level up their capitalism skills.

guess what

e: beaten to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ImpAtom posted:

Largely because it isn't as easy as just 'pushing it.' There's a reason why precious few of these "I'm making my own Pokemon, with blackjack and hookers" succeed. The one being linked above for example is one I've heard precious few positive about except for people insisting it is the REAL GAME that NINTENDO WON'T GIVE YOU and effectively recycling the exact same arguments from Playstation All-Stars. (Remember that one? When it was going to be the REAL competitive Smash Brothers?)

Pokemon is successful for a wide variety of reasons (at least some of which is just plain inertia) but also because it manages to make a simple accessible game that tends to draw people in with features that are ultimately meaningless but feel nice for the casual player, in addition to having extremely strong Monster Design. Even when a generation is 'weak' it has enough hits to draw people in.

In comparison temtems has loving awful monster design. Just absolutely awful. It's a lame combination of "we filed the serial number off this Pokemon and made its design crappier" and "what the hell is this thing?" That actually hurts the functionality of even a game that is mechanically strong because half the appeal of Pokemon is catching cute/cool things you're glad to have in a party. (Digimon is also similar with a greater emphasis on design and playing with your favorites over optimal builds.)

It'll be nice if temtems is good but I think it's a pretty bad sign that the people who stan for it are just going "this isn't the LAME Pokemon" instead of expressing what is fun about the game itself. (Which, if the people I know who've played it is accurate, is not exactly much.)

I really feel like if someone is going to make something successful at capturing the feel of Pokemon they can't start by doing nothing but comparing themselves to Pokemon or trying to replicate Pokemon. When the plot of Temtem is " Defeat the ever-annoying Clan Belsoto and end its plot to rule over the Archipelago, beat all eight Dojo Leaders, and become the ultimate Temtem tamer!" then it becomes really clear it's just people trying to copy Pokemon instead of making their own interesting idea and that extremely rarely succeeds for any game. (Yeah, you get the occasional Fortnite but that was a perfect combination of factors.)

I feel like I"m going to get poo poo for this, but Super Smash Bros. is a fighting game. There is only so far you can take the concept. PSABR was suppose to be "Super Smash Bros, but 'competitive" but ended up making GBS threads the boat in every single aspect, especially competitiveness.

In contrast, Poke'mon is a single player game with a great multiplayer component. The multiplayer component isn't what's being complained about, it's rather the single player concept. It's remained largely stagnate when there is so much they can do with the concept. Series like Monster Hunter and Zelda have pushed and reinvented themselves, yet Poke'mon hasn't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gently caress it, Camp Belsoto are the snooty rich kids across the lake and you have one summer to help Camp Bedabest beat them in the intercamp challenge. Balance your time between pokemon battling and camp life as make new friends at Camp Bedabest.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Watching that Temtems video I was genuinely wondering about the legality of so clearly ripping off another game virtually wholesale.

Having said that, the battles did look a bit more interesting/challenging and that's been my main problem with Pokemon for a long time. Once the rush of playing a new Pokemon game wears off, the battles are insanely boring and one dimensional and almost never pose any challenge. People say "yeah, it's for kids", but I wonder if that's really true? Like, how many people buying it are actually adults who grew up with it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's a really chill game for adults, whether just collecting pokemon in the wild, or throwing their favourite mons at Gym Leaders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel like I"m going to get poo poo for this, but Super Smash Bros. is a fighting game. There is only so far you can take the concept. PSABR was suppose to be "Super Smash Bros, but 'competitive" but ended up making GBS threads the boat in every single aspect, especially competitiveness.

In contrast, Poke'mon is a single player game with a great multiplayer component. The multiplayer component isn't what's being complained about, it's rather the single player concept. It's remained largely stagnate when there is so much they can do with the concept. Series like Monster Hunter and Zelda have pushed and reinvented themselves, yet Poke'mon hasn't.

I mean I could understand that argument if Temtems wasn't literally ripping off Pokemon's plot and concept. They aren't doing anything new with it worldsetting-wise. They might be doing something more interesting mechanically but how well that pans out is something we'll have to see. Saying your game is going to be more challenging is one thing, making it fun to be more challenging is another. A vast majority of the time when someone complains about a kid's franchise being too easy and they set out to make their own they either end up with a tedious slog or a poorly balanced mess because a lot of game designers (including professional ones) are not that great at making challenging games. Pokemon sidesteps this by being designed for a wide audience and basically throwing everything that sticks at the wall for multiplayer and letting the playerbase figure out a meta.

Pokemon is easy but "I made Pokemon but hard!!" is a lot harder than it sounds. (Take a look at the littered remains of a hundred romhacks.) Making, for example, getting from town to town a genuine struggle sounds good on paper but in actuality a lot of people don't enjoy having to fight hard against what amounts to cannon fodder, and if you misbalance even a little then it becomes tedious and awful. Making gym battles require Real Strategy And Effort sounds cool until you realize that inherently limits what creatures you can bring with you, which hurts the "I can use my favorite Pokemon even if they're a goddamn Pikachu" aspect of the game. The best choice is probably making the game give the illusion of challenge instead of real challenge but pulling that off is hard.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 16, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

And yeah recettear was one of the first games that made people realize japan even had an indie scene

I think its got some fun ideas but doesnt really come together as a whole
I feel like the game wanted you to balance shopkeeping and dungeon diving but by around the halfway point of paying back the debt I ditched the dungeon diving entirely in favor or buying thins at wholesale and selling them, the reliability of just being able to roll up to the market and buy two dozen Melons or whatever beat dungeon delving hands down, plus you absolutely wanted to have enough volume to ensure everybody who came into the store could buy something and you could only take a limited amount of stuff back from the dungeon

and stocking my vending machine with vending machines

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of Pokémon and Recettear and Atelier, there’s this GameBoy game I stumbled on called Cute Pet Shop Story. You play a girl running a pet shop for your sick grandma, and you get pets to sell by either random drop-offs or you can go out into the field and do turn-based battles friendshipping where you have to use food, approach tactics and your accompanying pet’s skills to woo wild animals (we’re talking everything from Dalmatians to giraffes) into being your pet.

You have to split your limited time between catching pets, running the shop (Recettear-style, it only opens when you’re at the counter), training pets to meet customer requests or for contests, and collecting and mixing herbs for medicine because any animal you take into the field can get sick and medication is American Health Care expensive.

I started to play it but had to drop it because it had just too many plates to keep spinning and the movement of time felt claustrophobic. Anyway if it had an English release I think it could have been a cult favorite for sim RPG fans.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought SMT was already Pokémon for non-casuals.
Why do people say this

What is the resemblance between SMT and Pokemon

If your reply starts with "well you capture creatures..." that's, like, not even close to enough for a resemblance

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well...they really kind of don't have to push anything. The games still sell extremely well. People moan about SwSh, and it's sold about six million copies so far. Just before, people moaned about S/M, and they're collectively the third best selling 3DS games.

Why shake the boat, when "Mostly the same, with some relatively minor changes" still pretty much print money? The adults complain, but the primary demographic for Pokemon's single player experience is still children. Hell, the primary demographic for pretty much the entire IP, from the merchandise to the card game, is children. I'm a data point of one, but I haven't met a single child, through my own, who gives one single poo poo about the actual mechanics, the story, whatever. They just want to beat up cool monsters with their own favorite cool monsters.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Why do people say this

If your reply starts with "well you capture creatures..." that's, like, not even close to enough for a resemblance

What exactly do you think Pokemon's defining characteristic is?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Why do people say this

They're mon games. Obviously they must be the same.

That's really most of the reasoning.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Watching that Temtems video I was genuinely wondering about the legality of so clearly ripping off another game virtually wholesale.

Having said that, the battles did look a bit more interesting/challenging and that's been my main problem with Pokemon for a long time. Once the rush of playing a new Pokemon game wears off, the battles are insanely boring and one dimensional and almost never pose any challenge. People say "yeah, it's for kids", but I wonder if that's really true? Like, how many people buying it are actually adults who grew up with it

pokemon, like most other nintendo games, save their challenging content for the post game so seven year olds can still see the credits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

god invented difficulty options for a reason

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

god invented difficulty options for a reason

And then Pokemon made them version exclusive and requires you to beat the game first :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kild posted:

What exactly do you think Pokemon's defining characteristic is?
Yeees, you do capture creatures in pokemon, good observation

now does that make every other game in which you capture creatures resemble pokemon? no.

This is like when people compare any game that's hard to dark souls.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Besides, the SMT Pokemon is Devilkids.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Yeees, you do capture creatures in pokemon, good observation

now does that make every other game in which you capture creatures resemble pokemon? no.

This is like when people compare any game that's hard to dark souls.

So what makes Pokemon Pokemon to you?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kild posted:

So what makes Pokemon Pokemon to you?

The monster capturing in conjunction with the aesthetics of the series, and its specific mechanics (typing, split attack and defense stats, breeding, etc).

SMT and Pokemon are both mon games. But beyond that, they share very little in common besides "collecting mons". Even the basics of the basics of how you recruit for your team is different.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kild posted:

And then Pokemon made them version exclusive and requires you to beat the game first :v:

loving B/W2 with its key trade poo poo what the gently caress

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The most evil thing Pokemon has done was lock Spiritomb behind interacting with 32 people in the Underground (D/P/P).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

and its specific mechanics (typing, split attack and defense stats, breeding, etc).

SMT has all of that tho?

quote:

SMT and Pokemon are both mon games. But beyond that, they share very little in common besides "collecting mons". Even the basics of the basics of how you recruit for your team is different.

Does DQ Monsters not count for you then? It has the aesthetic, at least imo, but you throw meat at monsters instead to befriend them instead of a Pokeball.

Kild fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 16, 2020

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kild posted:

SMT has all of that tho?

Yes, but differently.

Fusion and Pokemon Breeding are nothing alike beside "Put two mons in a thing, get a thing", for example. Pokemon breeding, you get the same as one of the two Pokemon you kept in, they pass down their IVs and occasionally abilities and natures, and specific moves, and in the end you keep the Pokemon you used. SMT Fusion, you lose two or more demons to get another demon, with what you get being dependent on the family of the demons, or using specific combinations, demons have stats innate to them with the possibility of bonuses in some games, and depending on the game you can either pass down nothing, anything within a certain typing, or theoretically every move to any demon.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 16, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kild posted:

Does DQ Monsters not count for you then? It has the aesthetic, at least imo, but you throw meat at monsters instead to befriend them instead of a Pokeball.
Why are you nitpicking these pointless details instead of understanding what people are trying to say

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DQM actually has more in common with SMT than Pokemon does. At least when it comes to breeding mechanics. Its move mechanics are different than either one, though. The aesthetic is similar on the overworld (like many GB and GBC RPGs), but the monster design is totally different, since it's pulling from the Akira Toriyama designs of the main series.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Why are you nitpicking these pointless details instead of understanding what people are trying to say

Well what are you trying to say?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

DQM actually has more in common with SMT than Pokemon does. At least when it comes to breeding mechanics. Its move mechanics are different than either one, though. The aesthetic is similar on the overworld (like many GB and GBC RPGs), but the monster design is totally different, since it's pulling from the Akira Toriyama designs of the main series.

Yeah that's why I brought it up since it's not much different than SMT but was clearly created to capitalize on the Pokemon craze. Digimon as well and Cyber Sleuth's basically a SMT game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kild posted:

Yeah that's why I brought it up since it's not much different than SMT but was clearly created to capitalize on the Pokemon craze. Digimon as well and Cyber Sleuth's basically a SMT game.

Digimon was created to capitalize on the Tamagotchi craze, not Pokemon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kild posted:

Cyber Sleuth's chasing Persona more than the main SMT series.

edit:

Morpheus posted:

From what I understand, you can't copyright game mechanics, otherwise it'd be impossible to make a game if it had even a fleeting similarity to another. Or, at least, I think you can't, but then Namco Bandai did have a copyright on minigames during loading screens, so who the heck knows.

Sega also nailed Simpsons Hit and Run to the wall with a lawsuit for using an overhead directional arrow because it infringed on the same mechanic used for Crazy Taxi.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 16, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
SMT absolutely shares a lot of mechanics with Pokemon, what are you talking about. Clearly it's not 'a pokemon game', but to say that the two have almost nothing in common is pretty wild.

Hell, given their release dates, it's actually that Pokemon was a more casual SMT game. Remember, in the first pokemon game, there was very little to the game itself - there was no breeding, just catching monsters, type matching, and a world to run around in and defeat gym leaders. Obviously the themes and some mechanics are different, but to dismiss the comparisons outright is weird.

Paperhouse posted:

From what I understand, you can't copyright game mechanics, otherwise it'd be impossible to make a game if it had even a fleeting similarity to another. Or, at least, I think you can't, but then Namco Bandai did have a copyright on minigames during loading screens, so who the heck knows.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can't copyright gameplay but you can have a patent on like a UI feature or something. It probably doesn't help that the judges who end up deciding these things have probably never touched a video game in their life though.

I actually read a case where some Chinese company literally just copy-pasted a game's mechanics and changed only the character names and the art assets and that was ruled as perfectly legal (in the US I mean).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Morpheus posted:

SMT absolutely shares a lot of mechanics with Pokemon, what are you talking about. Clearly it's not 'a pokemon game', but to say that the two have almost nothing in common is pretty wild.

a crucial part of the mainline MT/SMT experience is the Wizardry inspiration, which Pokemon doesn't really even have a sliver of. even when transitioning to 3rd person in Nocturne they retained many gameplay components like sprawling, trapped dungeons that are as much an obstacle as the encounters

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CYBEReris posted:

a crucial part of the mainline MT/SMT experience is the Wizardry inspiration, which Pokemon doesn't really even have a sliver of. even when transitioning to 3rd person in Nocturne they retained many gameplay components like sprawling, trapped dungeons that are as much an obstacle as the encounters

Mount Moon, Kanto Power Plant, Pokemon Tower, Silph Co, etc, etc.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Also Digimon and SMT demons talk making them more Friends/Comrades/Slaves and less Pets which I feel is a huge distinction. This especially matters in the anime versions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mount Moon, Kanto Power Plant, Pokemon Tower, Silph Co, etc, etc.

it's kinda pedantic to just list these off, none of them have i.e. pitfalls that take off a big chunk of your pokemon's HP and revert an hour of progress

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I thought the original argument was smt is pokemon for non casuals

Of course the dungeons aren’t going to be as mean spirited

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's not about how hard the dungeons are, it's about it being a dungeon crawling game at all, which pokemon is not

except for the most pedantic possible interpretation of it, in which case literally every RPG is a dungeon crawler because of how foundational Wizardry was to the genre

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

To be clear I think they’re the same genre but different audiences. And I also wanted to bitch that sword and shield got rid of areas you can actually get lost in and be in danger of failing

Being able to access all your Pokémon when you’re out catching stuff is nice but I miss the tenseness of being an hour deep into a cave and not sure where you’re supposed to go

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Erg posted:

Being able to access all your Pokémon when you’re out catching stuff is nice but I miss the tenseness of being an hour deep into a cave and not sure where you’re supposed to go
Actually it sucked and doesn't fit the kind of game pokemon is (trying to be)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wow Temtem’s art direction is leaning pretty hard into their Pokémon but... thing. I mean the least you can do if you’re going to do a clone game is try to have your own unique visual identity.

Also this Pokémon clone discussion made me investigate and boy howdy are there a lot of games with monster collection/raising as a central mechanic. I counted something like 91 unique franchises, and that’s not counting any game where the ‘monsters’ are robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Being accosted by Zubats and recasting Flash every two minutes is super engaging