Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's part of the current Humble Choice so you can probably get it + several more games for the same amount of dosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I loving loved Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. I loved building crazy poo poo to accomplish mundane tasks. Probably the moment that really sold me was when I was stuck on a mission to bring a certain number of items to a thing that sucked them up within a tight time limit. It occured to me that I could just build a chopper and bring the whole collection array over to what I was collecting. Finished the mission in less then 30 seconds and spent the rest of the game looking for absurd solutions. I assume my ancient laptop is incapable of running this, which makes me extremely sad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zesty posted:

Fortnite is losing steam so they're going to have to figure out how to stand on their own two legs as that money dries up.

do you have a source for that in the slightest because by all accounts I'm seeing it's still ridiculously popular and profitable

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

flatluigi posted:

do you have a source for that in the slightest because by all accounts I'm seeing it's still ridiculously popular and profitable

it's losing steam in the sense that it made $2.4 billion in 2018 and "only" $1.8 billion in 2019 :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

repiv posted:

it's losing steam in the sense that it made $2.4 billion in 2018 and "only" $1.8 billion in 2019 :v:

tbf for the sort of psychopaths involved, that's disastrous. They've been really aggressively trying to convert it into a marketing/media channel, to no clear avail afaik.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Wasn't the huge plot reveal of the latest star wars in freaking fortnite instead of, you know, the movie? What a world

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Trickyblackjack posted:

Wasn't the huge plot reveal of the latest star wars in freaking fortnite instead of, you know, the movie? What a world

Yes. I heard about something about Star Wars happening in Fortnite but never really thought anything of it at the time. Then I went to see the movie and it said something in the opening crawl that was totally out of left field and it pretty much drove the plot of the movie. It was dumb as hell. Turns out it was referencing something that happened in Fortnite.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Cojawfee posted:

Yes. I heard about something about Star Wars happening in Fortnite but never really thought anything of it at the time. Then I went to see the movie and it said something in the opening crawl that was totally out of left field and it pretty much drove the plot of the movie. It was dumb as hell. Turns out it was referencing something that happened in Fortnite.

Wonder how much epic/tencent bribed Disney for that one?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

What was that I missed that reference?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

jarlywarly posted:

What was that I missed that reference?

Palpatine is alive and said "sup!" to the universe. I don't think it's something was meant to be exclusive to Fortnite tho. They probably recorded it, realized there was no way to put it AFTER the start of the movie and axed it. Then they wanted to do a Fortnite promo and probably scraped it from the cutting room floor.

People make it sound like a big deal, like you need to CONSUME this piece of content to understand the movie, when it just feels like another teaser. And the movie trailers already made it obvious that Palpatine was returning.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 16, 2020

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
No amount of "but wait, there's more!" can save a bad movie from being bad

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I saw the Fortnite scene in YouTube and it doesn't really add much to the movie, it's just Palp giving a fairly generic evil speech. Dunno why people were treating it like it was an indispensable prequel to the movie.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 16, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Horace is free on EGS this week

Next week will be The Bridge

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ignis posted:

I saw the Fortnite scene in YouTube and it doesn't really add much to the movie, it's just Palp giving a fairly generic evil speech. Dunno why people were treating it like it was an indispensable prequel to the movie.

It was mostly it making no sense and JJ throwing away things from the previous movie and inventing new things out of thin air just to make his lovely ideas work.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Mierenneuker posted:

Palpatine is alive and said "sup!" to the universe.
Wait, is that seriously something they revealed in the movie's opening title crawl? I haven't seen the new Star Wars yet, and I was still interested in checking it out before it leaves theaters, but the fact that the movie goes "Hey, turns out Palpatine is alive!" in some text instead of an actual scene in the movie kills most of the interest I had. That is seriously poo poo.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Eh! Frank posted:

Wait, is that seriously something they revealed in the movie's opening title crawl? I haven't seen the new Star Wars yet, and I was still interested in checking it out before it leaves theaters, but the fact that the movie goes "Hey, turns out Palpatine is alive!" in some text instead of an actual scene in the movie kills most of the interest I had. That is seriously poo poo.

Yes, it's the first few lines of the opening crawl. It is some bullshit that put EU stink on the movie that never came off.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

Wonder how much epic/tencent bribed Disney for that one?

lol yea shameless crossover marketing is so off brand for the star wars franchise

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Spoiler-tagged since I just remembered this is actually the Free Games thread.

EPISODE IX

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

little munchkin posted:

lol yea shameless crossover marketing is so off brand for the star wars franchise

putting your thing in fortnite is also very likely one of the most effective ways to market to kids these days too

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

"Kylo Ren rages in search" is just dogshit phrasing. I eyerolled at that as much as I did at the Palpatine reveal.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eh! Frank posted:

Remember the first two movies? Forget the first two movies, this is the plot now.

It's probably for the best.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Horace is free now on EGS. The Bridge next week

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the dead speak!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mierenneuker posted:

EPISODE IX

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power.

When this broke, I sort of skirted over it as hype. I basically read the word "Fortnite" and ignored everything else, not interested in words or meaning. When the movie premiered, I generally took in what I really wanted from the new Star Wars movie: a sampling of the sour criticism from a few YouTube personalities. In other words, beyond RedLetterMedia and a few others, I know nothing about the new Star Wars.

Just now, I finally read the above and lol I am still have a hard time believing something this stupid can be true.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The real question is what kind of crazy bullshit are they going to have to pull in X in order to bridge the gap between IX and XI?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Breetai posted:

The real question is what kind of crazy bullshit are they going to have to pull in X in order to bridge the gap between IX and XI?

Hold on let me get my glasses

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

repiv posted:

Horace is free on EGS this week

Next week will be The Bridge

Good to know that The Bridge is coming up, maybe I'll give it another shot. Really great puzzle game that I tried when it came out but becomes close to incomprehensible as you progress and more mechanics are introduced. Got to some upside-down Escher level relatively far into the game and after looking at it for days had to admit that I was just too stupid to continue any farther.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Good to know that The Bridge is coming up, maybe I'll give it another shot. Really great puzzle game that I tried when it came out but becomes close to incomprehensible as you progress and more mechanics are introduced. Got to some upside-down Escher level relatively far into the game and after looking at it for days had to admit that I was just too stupid to continue any farther.

I like these games at first, but eventually how the creators brain works and how my brain works diverge and I just can't figure it out.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Pandemic Express has become F2P. It's sort of like Zombie Panic! with silly physics from what I can tell. If it's something you might like, get in on it now before the player population dwindles again. It's been sitting at 0 players for months and has jumped up to ~200 since becoming free but I don't expect it'll last long.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

treat posted:

Pandemic Express has become F2P. It's sort of like Zombie Panic! with silly physics from what I can tell. If it's something you might like, get in on it now before the player population dwindles again. It's been sitting at 0 players for months and has jumped up to ~200 since becoming free but I don't expect it'll last long.

Oh that's too bad. It was a neat little zombie run game. I was hoping they'd have more success with it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/567730/Merry_Snowballs/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mierenneuker posted:

EPISODE IX

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

https://imgur.com/gallery/mbRrjK0

Only click if you're okay with spoilers.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
TV IV has at least two Star Wars threads, CineD has two, Trad Games has at least two, BSS has one, Games has two, The MMO HMO has two.

And yet somehow you still manage to make every other thread be about Star Wars.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is the world we live in. It's just what happens with the sheer effort being put into taking an already popular series and advertising it further so that it'll be stuck further into everybody's brain.

There is no escape.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SlothfulCobra posted:

This is the world we live in. It's just what happens with the sheer effort being put into taking an already popular series and advertising it further so that it'll be stuck further into everybody's brain.

There is no escape.

E coli outbreaks brought to you by Star Wars.

-edit wait this isn't the dumb marketing thread, didn't mean to continue a derail.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 18, 2020

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

E coli outbreaks brought to you by Star Wars.

It broke new ground!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

What is this announcement for free Half-Life in Steam? Neither HL1 or 2 are showing up as free for me.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/57848/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Half Life games are free to play until April 1st.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Trying to play HL2 again now is difficult. The dialogue scenes are so long and I wish I could skip them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wait til you drive the car