Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
It finally snowed and I got to use my clay pot.

I made some cuts on the orange and stuck a couple of cloves on there, put it in whole to boil for a few minutes then took it out, didn't squeeze the juice.

My house smells amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chicken tortilla soup.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ogarza posted:

It finally snowed and I got to use my clay pot.

I made some cuts on the orange and stuck a couple of cloves on there, put it in whole to boil for a few minutes then took it out, didn't squeeze the juice.

My house smells amazing.

Tell me more. Making something to eat or drink or just a potpourri or what?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Seems like a drat good, rich hot chocolate

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Carrot peels in Chinese vinegar dressing ((1 tsp Chinkiang vinegar, 1 tsp soy sauce, 3 tsp vegetable oil, a pinch of salt and pepper) /2, since I didn’t use all the dressing). I’m trying to learn how to make good vegetable dishes. Mock away, I know it sucks

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

My sister got me Julia Child's cookbook for Christmas, and I tried it out last night. Poulet au Porto!

It's probably the most fun I've had making a meal, definitely the best thing I've made, and also the first time I've set food on fire on purpose.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Tell me more. Making something to eat or drink or just a potpourri or what?

It's actually more of a coffee drink than a hot chocolate, it just happens to have some mexican style chocolate in it.

It's called cafe de olla, or coffee from the pot, the clay pot does give it a nice flavor and keeps it warm forever. But a regular pot works too.

Boil the orange, clove, cinnamon sticks (it needs to be the mexican, ceylon cinnamon), and unprocessed sugar cane juice, and chocolate (optional) for a few minutes.

Take out the orange and clove, turn fire off, once it stops boiling add some coarse ground coffee and in a few minutes strain and serve.

Proportions for approx 2L - 1 orange, 3 cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks about 4in, ~175-200g piloncillo (dark brown sugar can be used but not as good), ~1.5oz of mexican style chocolate with cinnamon, abuelita works but far inferior to taza, and maybe ~6 tbsp of coffee? But I like it stronger and just throw a bunch in.

Chocolate and adding the orange while boiling is optional, not part of the traditional recipe which is just clove, cinnamon, piloncillo, and coffee.

BTW taste is not even close to adding sugar and cinnamon to your coffee.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tonight's dinner bright to you by "what the gently caress is half open in the freezer?"

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

toplitzin posted:

Tonight's dinner bright to you by "what the gently caress is half open in the freezer?"

Sometimes those are legitimately the best meals, especially if it's some tasty/expensive/labor-intensive poo poo you forgot you had leftovers of.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Pollyanna posted:

Carrot peels in Chinese vinegar dressing ((1 tsp Chinkiang vinegar, 1 tsp soy sauce, 3 tsp vegetable oil, a pinch of salt and pepper) /2, since I didn’t use all the dressing). I’m trying to learn how to make good vegetable dishes. Mock away, I know it sucks

Its important to make good veggies. Growing up I thought I hated vegetables but it runs out I just didnt like that everything was boiled. I could eat leftover sauteed broccoli or green beans cold straight out of the fridge and I'm fine with meatless curries and stir fries.

Good on you for trying something new. :)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Christmas Dinner chez G-Man this year, bit of a late post but only now getting around to organizing the holiday snaps.

Most of the recipes this year come from the truly excellent Time by Gil Meller, which is a wonderful book that I recommend anyone with medium+ cooking skills to pick up; lovely modern-English cooking with a lot of respect for the ingredients and allowing them to shine.

1. Potted North Sea shrimp in clarified butter with herbs and spices

Wine pairing: Launois Blanc de Blanc Grand Cru champagne

2. Grilled Creuse oysters, herb crust, raw ham and grilled salsify

Wine pairing: Launois Blanc de Blanc Grand Cru champagne

3. Onion soup with cider, sage, and sauteed apple

4. Wild sea bass cevice with lime, chili and rhubarb

Wine pairing: Mondavi Chardonnay 2014

5. Grilled cauliflower, cauliflower puree with truffle oil, thyme, and buckwheat groats

Wine pairing: Mondavi Chardonnay 2014

6. Pan-fried entrecote with roast garlic sauce and creamed spinach

Wine pairing: Homestead, Big Basin Vineyard 2016

7. Cheese Board

3 different types of Swiss mountain cheese from mild to funky, soft Italian goat/cow/sheep milk cheese blend, Italian blue cheese ripened in cocoa. Pressed fig loaf (top of the image)

Wine pairing: Homestead, Big Basin Vineyard 2016 / Graham's 10yo tawny port

8. Treacle tart with thyme and orange (Also some whipped cream offscreen)

No wine pairing because I didn't want to get anyone too drunk

Followed by coffee with some good chocolates and brandy etc. for those who wanted it.

Overall, really good meal and fortunately mostly very light due to staying away from starches for the most part; it's on of my main lessons from doing big multi-course christmas dinners for about 10+ years now - stay away from potatoes, cream, and pasta if you want people to feel alive after the meal. Also, draw a hard line on portion control; focus on providing a few-to-medium amount of excellent bites. Better everyone feels like they'd like one more bite than stuffing everyone to the gills by course three. Also, small poured glasses of wine help keep everyone going but away from being completely drunk before the cheese, as does copious amount of water closeby.

For me the best dish was the cauliflower one, followed by the cevice but honestly there wasn't much wrong with it. I think this is achievable for 4-8 people if you're mainly cooking alone and have the skills and time to do 95% of the prep work in advance.

Prep time, including shopping, was about 2 days of hard graft. Took about 3 hours to eat from start to coffee.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 10, 2020

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pollyanna posted:

No joke, this cookbook has completely changed how much veggies I cook - from like once a week to 3-4 nights - and how I perceive cooking them. It's pretty great for any skill level. I think it's the only cookbook where I've cooked literally all the dishes from.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ma po tofu by Serious Eats.

I couldn’t find Sichuan peppercorns, but this is plenty tasty enough!

Quiet Feet posted:

Its important to make good veggies. Growing up I thought I hated vegetables but it runs out I just didnt like that everything was boiled. I could eat leftover sauteed broccoli or green beans cold straight out of the fridge and I'm fine with meatless curries and stir fries.

Good on you for trying something new. :)

Thank you :unsmith: I’m trying, especially now that I’m at risk for heart disease. There’s good vegetable stuff out there, I just don’t know how to make it.

Junior G-man posted:

No joke, this cookbook has completely changed how much veggies I cook - from like once a week to 3-4 nights - and how I perceive cooking them. It's pretty great for any skill level. I think it's the only cookbook where I've cooked literally all the dishes from.

This is a good start. Thank you!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’ve been doing Meatless Weekdays for a little over a year now. No bad reason to eat more veggies.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pork chop, pan sauce, rice, vegetable normandy

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Buddy of mine made some black garlic. Not sure what to put it in I made some bread. Black galic & rosemary loaf.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Just made a sort of Shakshuka for staff food today.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
tonight, we gumbo

fried a bunch of bacon cause I had no bacon grease

didn't make quite enough so I added some butter

in goes flour, stir for forty minutes until I get a nice dark roux

add vegetables and andouille and cook, then liquid and beef boullion

meanwhile, sauteing some okra, and I made some chicken and chopped it up

that eventually goes in with some file powder, and baby we got a stew goin

about ten minutes before I'm ready to eat, in goes the shrimp!

rice being made alongside

and the finished product

topped with some hot sauce. was real good.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Hey, remember when I posted about those T-bones last week? Well I had a nice post written on my phone after and the app crashed. In short, they turned out phenomenal, and the only plate not totally eaten was my 11 year old niece's. The sauce recommended was great. With just wine it was a tad bland (I blame the wine I used), so I tossed in some balsamic at the end to sweeten it up.

Yesterday we had some friends over and made breakfast burgers. Grass fed ground beef, avocado, fried egg, grilled onions, and rosemary fries.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Blizzard conditions means chicken soup time!

Recipe- https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/caldo-de-pollo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

help I am sexually attracted to the slight bulge my hummus is making around the edges

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pork Chop v2, Braised Cabbage with Apples, Mashed Taters, More Veg.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Shepard’s pie last night.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I am now also sexually attracted to that pie

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I am now also sexually attracted to that pie

Have another slice, big boy.

It also has a dirty little secret... it’s vegan :ssh:

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 15, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dirty boy

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What's on top? Paprika? Sumac?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What's on top? Paprika? Sumac?

Paprika and a pinch of cinnamon.

I meant for the cinnamon to be added in with the filling, but I forgot. Figured I’d just throw it on top.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gently caress that makes a lot more sense than providing a shot glass of cinnamon with a slice of lemon on the side. Looks great!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Do you have a recipe? What do you replace the meat filling with?

I’ve been looking for a good vegan shep recipe for a while.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Starks posted:

Seconded. The wife and I have been trying to do more meatless meals and this looks extraordinary

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Seitan is an excellent replacement for meat IMO, especially in shepard’s pie. You can make it yourself relatively easily and cheaply, especially compared with tofu or tempeh. I use this recipe although I don’t put garlic in it.

I would also recommend the cookbook Veganomicon in general.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Starks posted:

For the meat substitute, I tried something new. I used this recipe: https://cookeatlivelove.com/making-a-tofu-ground-beef-substitute/

Usually I just use tempeh, but I had some tofu in the fridge and wanted to get rid of it. Next time I’ll probably go back to tempeh again. I’ll probably marinate it in a little soy sauce or vegan Worcestershire. If I don’t feel like going full vegan, I’ll just keep it vegetarian.

Anyway I start by just making mashed potatoes. Make them however you like them. For vegan ones I’ll just boil up some potato’s and mash them up with some olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, a little garlic. Maybe some shredded vegan cheese if I’m craving a little extra creaminess. When you have your mashed potatoes the way you want them, set them aside.

For the rest I’ve just been using the Food Wishes technique lately. I really like the way it comes out: https://youtu.be/7s3S-Kg6AA8

I just sub the meat substitute right in for the most part. Except it’s already cooked so you can hold off adding it until a little later,

I use a cast iron skillet and start by sweating out some diced onion and sliced mushrooms in olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Then when they start to soften I hit them with a little vegan Worcestershire sauce.

Add peas and cubed carrots and stir around a bit (add the carrots sooner if they are raw). Add marinated/seasoned meat substitute, paprika, cinnamon, chopped rosemary, a nice big squeeze of ketchup, a couple tablespoons of flour, and a little water to keep it moist.

Mix everything up nicely. Season to taste. Kill the heat and remove from burner. Spread out the mixture flat and even. Spread the mashed potatoes all over the top and toss on a few pinches of paprika.

Throw in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. For some extra browness, turn on the broiler for the last couple minutes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Lemongrass chicken!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

For the meat substitute, I tried something new. I used this recipe: https://cookeatlivelove.com/making-a-tofu-ground-beef-substitute/

Usually I just use tempeh, but I had some tofu in the fridge and wanted to get rid of it. Next time I’ll probably go back to tempeh again. I’ll probably marinate it in a little soy sauce or vegan Worcestershire. If I don’t feel like going full vegan, I’ll just keep it vegetarian.

Anyway I start by just making mashed potatoes. Make them however you like them. For vegan ones I’ll just boil up some potato’s and mash them up with some olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, a little garlic. Maybe some shredded vegan cheese if I’m craving a little extra creaminess. When you have your mashed potatoes the way you want them, set them aside.

For the rest I’ve just been using the Food Wishes technique lately. I really like the way it comes out: https://youtu.be/7s3S-Kg6AA8

I just sub the meat substitute right in for the most part. Except it’s already cooked so you can hold off adding it until a little later,

I use a cast iron skillet and start by sweating out some diced onion and sliced mushrooms in olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Then when they start to soften I hit them with a little vegan Worcestershire sauce.

Add peas and cubed carrots and stir around a bit (add the carrots sooner if they are raw). Add marinated/seasoned meat substitute, paprika, cinnamon, chopped rosemary, a nice big squeeze of ketchup, a couple tablespoons of flour, and a little water to keep it moist.

Mix everything up nicely. Season to taste. Kill the heat and remove from burner. Spread out the mixture flat and even. Spread the mashed potatoes all over the top and toss on a few pinches of paprika.

Throw in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. For some extra browness, turn on the broiler for the last couple minutes.

Thanks it sounds great! Gonna try to make it this weekend.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Made some lamb and mushroom sausage burgs.

Sauteed shrooms, shallots, and parsley. Turned off heat then added more shallots, spices, and garlic. Deglazed with just a bit of water.

Mixed everything with the cubed lamb leg overnight, ground the next day.

Black pepper, coriander seed, salt, and chile de arbol.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 16, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

ogarza posted:

Made some lamb and mushroom sausage burgs.

Sauteed shrooms, shallots, and parsley. Turned off heat then added more shallots, spices, and garlic. Deglazed with just a bit of water.

Mixed everything with the cubed lamb leg overnight, ground the next day.

Black pepper, coriander seed, salt, and chile de arbol.

Been craving some lamb for a while now!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Blackened Cod with Mustard Cider Slaw.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doom Rooster posted:

Lemongrass chicken!

Please tell us more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Shepard’s pie last night.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Looks great. However Shepherd's pie is made with lamb. Cottage pie is made with beef. What you made isn't Shepherd's pie. You should invent a new name for your magnificent pie.