Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Just look at the way they poo poo on DomGriff for a perfectly reasonable opinion...

This game exists purely in their heads.

edit - taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: OwO I like the shipz

:reddit: Eating and pooping will be required.

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 16, 2020

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

There are no traditional "survival" aspects in SC, there never will be, it was just another way to entice the 'survival' minded gamers who like to play things like Scum, Fallout and DayZ into parting with their money.
Like everything in SC, each seperate part/feature/design is designed to grift money from a different group or groups of players.

DayZ/Fallout/Scum guy = "Toilets and hygene? Food and drink? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

Iracing/Forza/Nfs guy = "There's ship races? With trophies? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

Battlefield/COD/CS:GO guy = "There's FPS shooting and capture the flag and soon team based land vehicle arena stuff? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

E:D/X-wing/WC guy = "There's flying ships in space? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

NMS/E:D/Empiryon/AAF guy = "There's proceedural planets to land on and make bases? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

And so on...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can you imagine how annoying that poo poo would be in a space flight sim? You're in the middle of a pitched space battle, just about got that enemy fighter locked up. Oh damnit I'm hungry again, gotta get up and go cook a meal or my guy will literally die of starvation mid flight. The I gotta go take a dump in my ship bathroom cause that's also a thing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Everyone hated it as a pointless addition, so they included it again in X4 as a pointless addition :D

The reception that greeted Eve Ambulation should have been a warning sign for literally everyone. It was rolled out in the captain's quarters and we saw a brief set of concept sketches for a mess area, complete with intersections to the moon mining and Dust514 FPS game on the PS3. CCP saw it as a way to leverage cosmetic DLC, which caused the whole 'burn Jita' debacle, which was as much about the playerbase blowing off some steam than it was a specific problem with monocles.

One of the things we talked about at the time was the vast latitude in scale. Mess halls in Jita would be chaotic bazaars, where most of the 0.4s would have like a single guy in the entire system.

It was a solution looking for a problem as they tried to apply the WoD engine they were building to Eve. Thankfully, CCP's profits fell to the point where they gave up the White Wolf poo poo, WoD was canned and all the FPS and clothe dynamic stuff got binned.

This is what underlies the biggest problem that Star Citizen has ham-fistedly attempted to cure with their trains. They want to create a sense of scale - I forget the name of it, but that eye to orbit bullshot was literally un homage to the pretension. They believe that _travel time_ creates the sense of scale, rather than using the narrative tricks that literally everyone uses. For example, most people who read the Expanse books knows that distance and velocity play a huge part, but that gets totally lampshaded by the show because it's not part of that narrative. You're there for the tense dialog, not someone underlining 'Space is big, really big. Listen, you think it's a long way down to the shops, but that's peanuts compared to space...' over and over.

I quite like that X4 allows you to shift-D back to your ship and the travel pods do the heavy lifting; their sense of scale is pretty impressive, and it's largely backgrounded.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Can you imagine how annoying that poo poo would be in a space flight sim? You're in the middle of a pitched space battle, just about got that enemy fighter locked up. Oh damnit I'm hungry again, gotta get up and go cook a meal or my guy will literally die of starvation mid flight. The I gotta go take a dump in my ship bathroom cause that's also a thing.

In the future, we'll have tubes for dealing with poop. Can't help you on the snacks, though.

Is Unreal World the only game with a viable dysentry mechanic?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/pBVFM1Y.gifv

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Got any more room in that camp? I agree with all of this.

Fifteen feet between the tents, please. Some of the hot takes could ignite fires.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

They want to create a sense of scale - I forget the name of it, but that eye to orbit bullshot was literally un homage to the pretension.

_2015_ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

_2014_ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-Ejq4Ef48 - seen any of this recently?

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 16, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/1217861009446182912?s=19

:siren: Citizen victory lap incoming :siren:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Thoatse for "poster of the year"

:five:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Just look at the way they poo poo on DomGriff for a perfectly reasonable opinion...

This game exists purely in their heads.

edit - taxxe

More to the point, some people seem genuinely intersted in eating and pooping mechanics in SC and having it affect their character. Outside a few niche games, i've never heard of such mechanics going down with the wider demographic. The obvious exceptions being in games like The Sims, where the whole point of the game is looking after the wellbeing of the character.

If CIG do this sort of thing, its going to annoy a rather large swathe of those who want a space shooter trader game.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sabreseven posted:

There are no traditional "survival" aspects in SC, there never will be, it was just another way to entice the 'survival' minded gamers who like to play things like Scum, Fallout and DayZ into parting with their money.
Like everything in SC, each seperate part/feature/design is designed to grift money from a different group or groups of players.

DayZ/Fallout/Scum guy = "Toilets and hygene? Food and drink? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

Iracing/Forza/Nfs guy = "There's ship races? With trophies? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

Battlefield/COD/CS:GO guy = "There's FPS shooting and capture the flag and soon team based land vehicle arena stuff? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

E:D/X-wing/WC guy = "There's flying ships in space? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

NMS/E:D/Empiryon/AAF guy = "There's proceedural planets to land on and make bases? Wow sounds like my kind of game!"

And so on...

Yup, and add them all together and you end up with a game nobody likes.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I like how they call it the persistent universe, when persistence is rather lacking.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Its almost ready, just needs some polish. Answer the Phone 2020.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

The reception that greeted Eve Ambulation should have been a warning sign for literally everyone. It was rolled out in the captain's quarters and we saw a brief set of concept sketches for a mess area, complete with intersections to the moon mining and Dust514 FPS game on the PS3. CCP saw it as a way to leverage cosmetic DLC, which caused the whole 'burn Jita' debacle, which was as much about the playerbase blowing off some steam than it was a specific problem with monocles.

One of the things we talked about at the time was the vast latitude in scale. Mess halls in Jita would be chaotic bazaars, where most of the 0.4s would have like a single guy in the entire system.

It was a solution looking for a problem as they tried to apply the WoD engine they were building to Eve. Thankfully, CCP's profits fell to the point where they gave up the White Wolf poo poo, WoD was canned and all the FPS and clothe dynamic stuff got binned.

This is what underlies the biggest problem that Star Citizen has ham-fistedly attempted to cure with their trains. They want to create a sense of scale - I forget the name of it, but that eye to orbit bullshot was literally un homage to the pretension. They believe that _travel time_ creates the sense of scale, rather than using the narrative tricks that literally everyone uses. For example, most people who read the Expanse books knows that distance and velocity play a huge part, but that gets totally lampshaded by the show because it's not part of that narrative. You're there for the tense dialog, not someone underlining 'Space is big, really big. Listen, you think it's a long way down to the shops, but that's peanuts compared to space...' over and over.

I quite like that X4 allows you to shift-D back to your ship and the travel pods do the heavy lifting; their sense of scale is pretty impressive, and it's largely backgrounded.

Well, if the rumours are true, ED is adding space legs, like many ED players have demanded and said if FD added space legs it will make the game so much better.

They must be right... right?? Right????

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hav posted:

which caused the whole 'burn Jita' debacle, which was as much about the playerbase blowing off some steam than it was a specific problem with monocles.

Not quite. It was the Summer of Rage with intentional DOS of Jita (attacking the monument etc). Burn Jita is just "let's abuse the utterly broken highsec model to kill all freighters for a while", which people had been doing before and after anyway.

The Summer of Rage happened because space legs development sucked all the oxygen out of the space part, the part that Eve players actually wanted to play. Space legs never had real gameplay behind it while the space part lingered. CCP has always had a terminal problem of being unable to put a few people on balancing duty so for a long time those issues just persisted while CCP was CCPing space legs with nothing to show for it but a loving door.

Imo X4's space legs is better than X:Rebirth's because they largely omitted putting important gameplay functionality into it. It's there to sell the scale, and it does so just fine. Standing on a capital ship bridge during combat, with explosions going off everywhere is, admittedly, cool as hell.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

We’re in year four of Miles Eckhart, mission giver, and apparently mission markers aren’t triggering. That should be a warning.

The underlying code is as brittle as everything else. It was probably rushed through to supply something, anything.

Otoh, if they pivot quickly, they could make the most amazing goat simulator in space station 13; but it wouldn’t be worth half a billion clams.

Yes but more importantly how does his coat look? Is the leather properly full of fidelity? Are his shoes tied with the right kind of laces?

gently caress your functional game when these huge massive issues still need to be worked out. :colbert:

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

We all know ED is going to have a technically sound, but utterly boring implementation of space legs. It'll be the FPS equivalent of supercruise with no way to bypass it, because the boring forum dads will demand it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

with not much happening these days in starcitizenland and in this here hate-thread it feels like the show is over somehow. which leads me to this question:

did clown emporium win or did we win?

They will win by attrition and have technically already won.

Roberts and family are rich. Sandi is doing movies. Everybody involved is probably a multi millionaire except the grunts.

It was a big huge win where the only deliverable was a shoddy demo and artwork and marketing lies.

We already lost like 2 years ago when CIG shut down and the important people signed off to go live their life and have vacations and parties and cars and only show up sometimes to wave a flag.

They probably care less about Star Citizen than people in this thread. It's a cash cow and the milk is starting to get sour, but it can still be put into a milkshake so sell that poo poo.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A game I would love to have space legs in: a single-player, open world (universe) space mercenary game. Han Solo simulator, basically. Pilot your own freighter that you can walk around in/customize, get in space battles, and accept missions, which would take place both in space and on the ground. On-foot planet sections would limited to be space port cities and guided mission areas, ala Mass Effect 2/3. Maybe some open-world on-foot areas if it makes sense and is fun.

I haven't played Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - does it have space legs on your ship? I know you can play pool and such.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

Not quite. It was the Summer of Rage with intentional DOS of Jita (attacking the monument etc). Burn Jita is just "let's abuse the utterly broken highsec model to kill all freighters for a while", which people had been doing before and after anyway.

The Summer of Rage happened because space legs development sucked all the oxygen out of the space part, the part that Eve players actually wanted to play. Space legs never had real gameplay behind it while the space part lingered. CCP has always had a terminal problem of being unable to put a few people on balancing duty so for a long time those issues just persisted while CCP was CCPing space legs with nothing to show for it but a loving door.

Imo X4's space legs is better than X:Rebirth's because they largely omitted putting important gameplay functionality into it. It's there to sell the scale, and it does so just fine. Standing on a capital ship bridge during combat, with explosions going off everywhere is, admittedly, cool as hell.

I'm usually squished in the back of a fighter because I'm more Trotters independent Traders in X4, and less Buck Rogers.

Thanks for the reminder; Yeah, CCP entirely ignored the broken POS and legal framework in favor of the relative wanking about. Hilmars comment about designer jeans costing around the same amount was literally amazeballs. I quit around that time after playing since Red Moon.

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, if the rumours are true, ED is adding space legs, like many ED players have demanded and said if FD added space legs it will make the game so much better.

They must be right... right?? Right????

Dunno. I assume that there's some clamor for it from the people who want a perfectly immersive experience, but generally these are the same people who don't actually conceptualize well. The main problem is attempting to build a game that works on distance domains that range from centimeters to light years and trying to do it with;

The amusing thing being that Mr Fidelity was the inspirational vision behind the Wing Commander movie; If anything should give people pause, it's his output so far. Don't just rely on Jurgen Prochnow's worst film, read the script.

Tsar Mikey posted:

We all know ED is going to have a technically sound, but utterly boring implementation of space legs. It'll be the FPS equivalent of supercruise with no way to bypass it, because the boring forum dads will demand it.

What's your most exciting implementation of space legs in the context of a Cobra MkIII?

Edit:

Bumble He posted:

did clown emporium win or did we win?

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper,
Only those that prosper truly judge what is sane.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 16, 2020

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Because at closing time, all the clean bitches already gone.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tsar Mikey posted:

Forum dad here. I don't demand that.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

I feel almost more duped than Citizens. After following this garbage for so long for it to just result in an almost total media blackout where Chris hardly shows his face anymore just feels lame. This thing is going to continue shambling on for years and eventually run out of funds or release SQ42 "beta" in a half assed state and then disappear. Most mainstream gaming sites and fans have moved on and forgotten about SC so I don't think we are in for a massive collapse, just a slow fade out as the funds do.

The massive explosion Derek promised just never happened. In its place you have the slow burn-out and fizzle stage. Unfortunately at the end of the fizzle nobody is going to care anymore. We're in the middle of the fizzle; which could last for years and years before actually ending.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

DOMDOM posted:

Where did she go??

She is in our hearth, compressed against Ben.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: OwO I like the shipz

:reddit: Eating and pooping will be required.

This is actually why SC (the promise of) will never be a thing. I'm not talking about poop but about abstraction. In other games trivial mundane stuff is abstracted away if its not part of the core gameplay. The EVE ships have crews of thousands but there is no need to pay attention to those losers. Even if they wanted to involve them in some way it would be in an abstract way (buy deluxe toilet modules to increase ship "happiness" and boost your accuracy by 3% or such)

But in SC everything has to be there and work and interact with the players and AI. So adding deluxe toilet module (even if in the end it just increases your accuracy by 3%) means a shitload of extra work. Bladder levels for players and AI, AI behaviours, poo poo-your-pants mechanics, methane level increases displacing the radon, and so on. It's never happening outside three or four special cases they have spent tens of millions of dollars on, like the bartender and the mess hall.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Hav posted:

What's your most exciting implementation of space legs in the context of a Cobra MkIII?

There really isn't a way to make it compelling in a way that isn't going to look like a Star Citizen feature list, so I would just do what X4 does: provide the option of running around the ship and station if you want, because that kind of thing can be fun for a little bit to get a sense of scale. I realize I'm being harsh toward ED here since we don't even know what space legs is going to cover. Maybe it'll be a fun diversion to the main game, and not a well executed version of SC's grabby hands gameplay.

Comedy answer:
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic kicking Thargoids into convenient spike walls I've placed around the ship.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The Titanic posted:

The massive explosion Derek promised just never happened. In its place you have the slow burn-out and fizzle stage. Unfortunately at the end of the fizzle nobody is going to care anymore. We're in the middle of the fizzle; which could last for years and years before actually ending.

So now we await the 'fizzle reel'.

The road to retirement 2.0.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I look forward to having to hose out my space suit because I died with my bowels full and they released when I died trying to move a box.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IcarusUpHigh posted:

This game exists purely in their threads.

ftfy

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

What I would like to see is a space combat game where I can get out and board enemy ships.

So basically, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare without the dumb-gently caress military bro storyline.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tsar Mikey posted:

Counterpoint: Telepressence. I mean, if Frontier had wanted a boring non bypassable mechanic there they could have forced everyone to physically be in the same station to multicrew and back to disembark.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 16, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Agony Aunt posted:

Forum dad here. I don't demand that.

#notallforumdads

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Folks, I think they have found actual gameplay here.

https://twitter.com/TheAstroPub/status/1216032496019759104?s=20

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

I was NOT loving ready to be hurt in a thread about Shart Scamizen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can already see the posts from Citizens that CyberPunk 2077 delay %100 justifies CIG.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

Let's not forget there are plenty of people making bank of the Star Citizen 'franchise' in the wings, and the game isn't even a game yet!

Like the fabrication guy that makes custom star citizen pc cases for $1000 a pop, or the scale model dragonfly for the CON that probably cost $10k or more

It's all layers of scamming here fellas

I wouldn't call the guys actually making things and delivering them to people scammers. They're actually building and delivering what has been paid for.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

“Well you see Cyber Witcher IV has really been in development for 15 years, because one of the CDPR devs once mentioned in passing in 2005 that it would be cool to make an 80’s Cyberpunk styled game. So SC being a broken pre-alpha after 8 years is normal and good. Buy an Idris.”

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

I can already see the posts from Citizens that CyberPunk 2077 delay %100 justifies CIG.
weird they aren't just delaying it to line up right next to the next gen console releases but it wouldn't surprise me if they gave it another six week bump to November (the traditional console release month)

even so, since the PS5/XSX are now 100% backwards compatible with their earlier gen, buying it in September means you can play with some extra bells and whistles a few months later when the new consoles hit. I'm sure they'll have a massive "LOOK AT ALL THE IMPROVED poo poo IF YOU BUY A NEW CONSOLE!!! loving gently caress LOOK AT THE PORES ON KEANUS FACE" thing a few weeks before the new next gen launch