Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That just reminds me of how happy I was when Harumafuji finally fulfilled the yokozuna promotion requirements.

Dude was crying in the ring after he finally got the throw on Hakuho in what was a long-rear end bout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1217649638204833793

Kakuryu has withdrawn from the tournament.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

yeah, not a surprise at all. He's got nothing left to fight for at this point.

New sumo fans: get used to this. If a yokozuna has a horrid first few days (lol BOTH of them this basho, wow), they will drop out, claiming some bullshit injury (or sometimes a real injury). It is basically a law of nature, like gravity. The great special privilege that a yokozuna earns by achieving his very high and prestigious rank, is that if he ever just starts out bad he gets to just tap out and heal up for the next tournament, while the Ozekis and below have to just soldier on if they can.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
so both yokozunas are out? how often does that happen?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does this mean for fantasy?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mekchu posted:

What does this mean for fantasy?

Trades are allowed until after day 7. It means that if you picked a yokozuna for fantasy, then you better trade out for someone else right now at the Y/O level, either Takakeisho or Goedio. (pick Takakeisho, Goeido loving sucks right now this tournament, and he's now just hanging on to try to get his 8 wins, while Takakeisho is still a legit yusho contender)

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Rigel posted:

Trades are allowed until after day 7. It means that if you picked a yokozuna for fantasy, then you better trade out for someone else right now at the Y/O level, either Takakeisho or Goedio. (pick Takakeisho)

I'll drop Hakuho and take Takakeisho.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

Do they call it china in japan?

I don't know why you're asking but "Chūgoku", you can look up any Sokokurai fight to hear them say it.

Mekchu posted:

Also this was a flier I grabbed from the hostel I was at in Tokyo in 2017.

The back basically has what I can figure out are directions and other related info on how to get to the venue etc.

Ah the short lived 4 Yokozuna era, brought to an end by Harumafuji both on the Dohyo and off it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9UBhJ-7N2g

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What this really means for fantasy is that the y/o ranks don't mean as much as they could. Unless I hear otherwise I'm going to assume people want Takakeisho, rather than Goeido, and just give him to people starting day 5. I've already factored in Hakuho's day 4 absence, and I'll have the results up shortly.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kenning posted:

What this really means for fantasy is that the y/o ranks don't mean as much as they could. Unless I hear otherwise I'm going to assume people want Takakeisho, rather than Goeido, and just give him to people starting day 5. I've already factored in Hakuho's day 4 absence, and I'll have the results up shortly.

That is probably fair. starting day 5, you probably should just switch everyone over to Takakeisho, unless there's still someone out there chanting "go, go, goeido" for this basho.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Rigel posted:

unless there's still someone out there chanting "go, go, goeido" for this basho.

literally just me

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Rigel posted:

yeah, not a surprise at all. He's got nothing left to fight for at this point.

New sumo fans: get used to this. If a yokozuna has a horrid first few days (lol BOTH of them this basho, wow), they will drop out, claiming some bullshit injury (or sometimes a real injury). It is basically a law of nature, like gravity. The great special privilege that a yokozuna earns by achieving his very high and prestigious rank, is that if he ever just starts out bad he gets to just tap out and heal up for the next tournament, while the Ozekis and below have to just soldier on if they can.

Yeah, it happened twice last year and twice in 2018 when all 3 Yokozuna pulled out.

The cost to the Yokozuna being protected is that if they ever have a legit losing record, they are expected to retire in shame so any bad start means they will tap out rather than risk it. And since it’s sumo, it’s not like anyone ever has to invent an injury from nothing, they just have to decide whether it’s bad enough to go on.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Just to add a quick corollary: if an Ozeki gets his 8th loss, well then the damage is already done at that point, and he will then almost always drop out too. They won't get demoted below Sekiwake in any case.

Below Ozeki, sometimes you see tragic matches where a guy at 3-11 or whatever is all bandaged up and stumbling around his match, obviously injured and you wonder why he hasn't dropped out yet, well it is because if he does somehow get that 4th win maybe he won't get demoted down quite as far, especially if the demotion would drop him close to the cut line to Juryo.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 16, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rigel posted:

Trades are allowed until after day 7. It means that if you picked a yokozuna for fantasy, then you better trade out for someone else right now at the Y/O level, either Takakeisho or Goedio. (pick Takakeisho, Goeido loving sucks right now this tournament, and he's now just hanging on to try to get his 8 wins, while Takakeisho is still a legit yusho contender)

I already have Takakeisho and Goeido though.

I had picked hakuho/kakuryu/goeido, then when hakuho dropped out I picked up takakeisho but now kakuryu is dropping which is why I'm confused.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 16, 2020

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hell with it, I’ll trade Goeido for Takakeisho.

Now my luck, Goeido will win the rest of his matches.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Mekchu posted:

I already have Takakeisho and Goeido though.

I had picked hakuho/kakuryu/goeido, then when hakuho dropped out I picked up takakeisho but now kakuryu is dropping which is why I'm confused.

You only have one rikishi per slot (5 in total)

The other two you picked were backup choices in case too many people wanted your first guy. Filter Kenning's posts, they posted everyone's rosters on the first day.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Salt Bae is 5-0, good grief.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bentai posted:

Salt Bae is 5-0, good grief.

[said through teary eyes] that's.... my son....

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that was close. surprised endo got the gyojis verdict

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'ma say it those head collisions at the tachiai remove at least one childhood memory. m5> one treasured memory.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fisting by many posted:

You only have one rikishi per slot (5 in total)

The other two you picked were backup choices in case too many people wanted your first guy. Filter Kenning's posts, they posted everyone's rosters on the first day.

Gotcha. I must have missed the roster post by them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mekchu posted:

that was close. surprised endo got the gyojis verdict

Wait maybe thats the wrong Rikishi. They look of similar build on my phone.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Oh goddamnit Tochi. You had that match against Meisei in the bag, what the hell?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bentai posted:

Oh goddamnit Tochi. You had that match against Meisei in the bag, what the hell?

any knee taped like that shouldn't be in top level competition. no fully mobile rikishi goes out like that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. daiesho finally doing me proud. that was a great fight.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Marching Powder posted:

i'ma say it those head collisions at the tachiai remove at least one childhood memory. m5> one treasured memory.

There are some absolutely massive collisions and in slow motion they look horrible. 700 pounds of mass coming together on heads like that can't be good.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

any knee taped like that shouldn't be in top level competition. no fully mobile rikishi goes out like that.

Tochinoshin's knee has been been wrapped like that since 2013, he pulled out of the second half of a Basho plus 3 full Bashos after it, returning at Makushita 55 and getting 4 Yusho in a row while climbing back up (two Makushita, two Juryo).

He later made the Ozeki rank in early 2018, though he only kept it for 5 Basho before dropping down to Sekiwake, getting 10-5 to get the rank back only to lose it a second time 2 Basho later.

This time at Sekiwake he was unable to get the 10 wins required for the automatic re-promotion, instead pulling out after going 2-2 in the first 4 days, that was November 2019. This tournament is his first in two years where he's not among the sanyaku ranks.

So while the knee situation isn't great, it sure didn't stop him from doing this on his Ozeki run:

Brut fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 16, 2020

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Glad to see Enho finally got one over his nemesis Shohozan. He looked possessed in that bout.

Also, Goeido clearly doesn't want to be an Ozeki anymore, he would have won if he didn't stick out his arm and just landed on his face instead

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

We have the weirdest leaderboard right now: Shodai, Kagayaki, and Terutsuyoshi are all undefeated on day 5. With both yokozuna out and Goeido and Takayasu looking awful, I have no idea how this is going to shake out. Some really good bouts though!

I've processed everyone's trades, including the automatic trade to Takakeisho for anyone who hadn't said otherwise.

Day 5 standings

code:
Bentai		18
bessantj	12
fisting by many	16
Kenning		16
Marching Powder	13
Martytoof	15
Mekchu		13
ratmosphere	12
Rigel		13
Robviously	18
Scythe		11
sivad		11
Spokes		14
Thauros		11
With all those trades, the current wire is:

Kenning
Robviously
Marching Powder
fisting by many
Spokes
bessantj
Rigel
Sivad
Bentai
Scythe
Martytoof
Thauros
ratmosphere
Mekchu

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Brut posted:

I don't know why you're asking but "Chūgoku", you can look up any Sokokurai fight to hear them say it.

I was making a dumb porcelain china joke, sorry haha

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So empowered by a newfound fascination with Sumo I decided to see how Akebono's life turned out after Sumo.
I might have cried a bit.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol. despite all my other picks being awful salt bae is currently plopping me in third place. i hope his salty rear end carries me all the way to goon sumo glory.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
question about the infographics on NattoSumo

what does 18/0 mean?

e: tyvm vvv

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 16, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

question about the infographics on NattoSumo

what does 18/0 mean?

First one is total Basho fought, second one is total Basho in the top division.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

So empowered by a newfound fascination with Sumo I decided to see how Akebono's life turned out after Sumo.

.... oh man.

i don't know where i got this thought from, but i thought yokozuna were 'taken care of' post retirement. he doesn't need to be living like a loving king if he's squandered all his cash from his fighting days, but he needs to be able to turn down a full contact fight with loving remy bojanski or the human petting zoo bob sapp. loving hell.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh jeez, I thought he got better after the first hospital visit and dang:

wikipedia posted:

In April 2017 he was hospitalized after feeling unwell while on a wrestling tour in Kitakyushu.[79] Early reports indicated that he had been placed in a medically-induced coma after suffering a cardiac condition,[80] but his family later released a statement on Akebono's website criticizing "misleading" articles and saying he was undergoing treatment "due to a right leg cellulitis and an infection."[81] A family spokesperson thanked Akebono's fans for their support, saying "The number of messages from around the world has been overwhelming."[82] The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported that the original story was in fact correct and that the cellulitis claim was a cover story for a serious heart issue.[83]

Akebono's wife said in March 2018 that her husband had suffered acute heart failure in the incident and was in a medically induced coma for two weeks. He lost nearly 130 pounds, much of it in muscle, and could not walk as of March 2018, requiring the use of a wheelchair. He is to begin intensive physical therapy.[84] News regarding Akebono's health has been scarce. A news article from 2 January 2019 stated that he had lost use of his legs and suffers from partial memory loss. He is unable to remember his pro-wrestling days (after retirement from Sumo) and for a short period unable to speak without the aid of his wife.[85]

Although still unable to walk, he attended a memorial service for his former tsukebito Ushiomaru at Azumazeki stable in December 2019. [86]

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Man my picks are doing so badly.

Asanoyama and Takakeisho especially have got to be thinking they can take this basho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

coconono posted:

Oh jeez, I thought he got better after the first hospital visit and dang:

Yeah... I think I remember hearing that Musashigawa-oyakata was spending some time with him while he was in the hospital. I feel bad when I think about Akebono :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

he was pretty cool in wrestling. I remember him and Abdullah had an old fat guys match then got on the mic and wished everyone a happy mother's day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think toshinoshin and enho are my favourites, but that knee of tochinoshin's really isn't looking great. Those videos of him lifting dudes out must have been hell on it.