Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Did you ever hear when Sam called into Tims show to complain bout Tim getting him fired. Extremely pathetic poo poo.

Yeah I listened to that whole thing. Tim came off a lot better than Sam did. I think having WP cancelled really broke their brains since it caused Charls to leave. I'm subscribed to Sam's new stuff on gumroad and it's just not as good without Charls' creative input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

O Yeetus posted:

I'd say it's like Tim and Eric for the 2010s
Kind of, but Tim and Eric were capable of either making a point or just being absurd. MDE always seemed to be grasping at something but not getting there, and seething with rage the entire time.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like, dude don't call in if you're gonna let yourself get humiliated like that. You got mad.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i gotta be honest, i thought sam was genuinely funny. its amazing how dedicated he was to utterly destroying himself and whatever career he could have had to be a repulsive nazi.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i still have absolutely no idea who sam hyde is outside of those two pictures

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i gotta be honest, i thought sam was genuinely funny. its amazing how dedicated he was to utterly destroying himself and whatever career he could have had to be a repulsive nazi.

He is extremely funny. 1/3 of it is his editing ability, 1/3 of it is his improvisation and 1/3 is his willingness to debase himself. There are just so many moments like when he eats a paper towel covered in ice cream, or does the "splortch" sound effect reaching for the cameraman's pussy, or goes on a five minute monologue about wearing clothes from Ross that make me laugh more than anything on TV

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sam Hyde definitely had talent but all the good poo poo he ever did were collaborations, like Officer Maggot

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sam Hyde definitely had talent but all the good poo poo he ever did were collaborations, like Officer Maggot

This is true. Even in the solo improv videos he almost always has a cameraman egging him on

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

That poo poo happens when you process everything through bitterness. Many a 4chan style man driven to insanity by having an inability to observe something they hate and not obsess over it endlessly while the peanut gallery eggs you on.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

O Yeetus posted:

I'd say it's like Tim and Eric for the 2010s

tim and eric is like a million times funnier because there's A Joke. it's usually buried pretty deep in there and is often pretty abstract or multi-layered, but at the core of every tim and eric sketch is an idea. it would be funny if X happened/it's funny when Y happens. but there's a core there that anchors the comedy. the sketches can use that core as a reference or touchstone to keep from being too scattered or just so weird that they're not longer funny.

MDE is always purely reactive. insofar as there's any animating idea it's usually outward-looking, like "look at these loving idiots" or "think about how mad this is going to make people." it has no inherent meaning or comedy that is tied specifically to the creator and viewer, you always have to loop in a third party to either react to or imagine how they'll react to sam + co.

i liked some early MDE stuff but rewatching it more recently it's really grating because i'm no longer the person i was then and because i no longer have the same attitudes and i things i care about as i used to have. i don't feel the same way about other people that i did then, and my worldview is now so different that i can't make it line up with MDE's. meanwhile Free House for Jim Boonie is still as funny as it ever was and probably always will be

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol they tried making DMT

https://twitter.com/drewmckevitt/status/1217885878988738560?s=19

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
didn't hyde make a sketch where a white man pushes a boulder uphill past a black guy and a mexican but gets distracted by a woman so the boulder rolls back down to the bottom, and then a jewish man shows up to laugh at him

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

Kind of, but Tim and Eric were capable of either making a point or just being absurd. MDE always seemed to be grasping at something but not getting there, and seething with rage the entire time.

MDE took the lesson of "don't be afraid if people don't get it" and went so far down the rabbit hole that they couldn't give people even the barest hint of a path towards understanding, and that's accepting the idea that there was even something in there to understand, which I am not sure about and don't care enough to rewatch to try to find out.

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

tim and eric is like a million times funnier because there's A Joke. it's usually buried pretty deep in there and is often pretty abstract or multi-layered, but at the core of every tim and eric sketch is an idea. it would be funny if X happened/it's funny when Y happens. but there's a core there that anchors the comedy. the sketches can use that core as a reference or touchstone to keep from being too scattered or just so weird that they're not longer funny.

MDE is always purely reactive. insofar as there's any animating idea it's usually outward-looking, like "look at these loving idiots" or "think about how mad this is going to make people." it has no inherent meaning or comedy that is tied specifically to the creator and viewer, you always have to loop in a third party to either react to or imagine how they'll react to sam + co.

Yeah I don't get this impression from it at all. Very little of the catalog is made just to troll. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "core" but almost all MDE sketches have themes and specific goals of satire just like Tim and Eric sketches do

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i liked some early MDE stuff but rewatching it more recently it's really grating because i'm no longer the person i was then and because i no longer have the same attitudes and i things i care about as i used to have. i don't feel the same way about other people that i did then, and my worldview is now so different that i can't make it line up with MDE's. meanwhile Free House for Jim Boonie is still as funny as it ever was and probably always will be

I'm the opposite just because Tim and Eric sketches are older and inspired now-discredited Weird Twitter type comedy. So both those things weigh them down a little

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

should've copied getfiscal. he's also a weird-looking troll, but he's a weird-looking troll dedicated to self-improvement and love instead of self-destruction and hate

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

didn't hyde make a sketch where a white man pushes a boulder uphill past a black guy and a mexican but gets distracted by a woman so the boulder rolls back down to the bottom, and then a jewish man shows up to laugh at him

Yes, that was a sketch they shot for World Peace in fact. When Adult Swim was giving them money.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

O Yeetus posted:

I'm the opposite just because Tim and Eric sketches are older and inspired now-discredited Weird Twitter type comedy. So both those things weigh them down a little

you're discredited m8

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I havent checked in on MDE poo poo for years but I think part of what happened to sam involves his fans because MDE fans are some of the most pathetic people on the internet. thjey got banned from the cumtown reddit because they basically just hung around calling people pussies for not laughing at slurs without ever actually making any jokes

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of canadians... reading the affidavit in the base case. the feds reviewed "google location data, cell phone location data, and recorded telephone calls" to determine that the pair from maryland traveled to michigan to pick up mathews after he hopped the border

an undercover FBI agent apparently monitored them at a gun range and heard them firing the illegally manufacturing assault rifle they made! :lol:

they went back to the same gun range, and the FBI had set up a "stationary camera near the gun range, and an ATF agent was in the vicinity of the range." so they got video of them with the gun and had ATF listen into the rat-a-tat-tat

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1217689156249194497

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Same Hyde is a pathetic piece of poo poo and MDE got really lame the harder and harder right he went; but Sugar Makes You Kooky is still really loving funny.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Eric Andre is the tim and eric of the 2010s not that troglodyte looking neo nazi ffs

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

can't tell if this is a right wing family dogwhistling about the people who made of the guy or a grieving family pissed that all the right wing groups the guy was involved in aren't bothering to support them at all

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

O Yeetus posted:

Yeah I don't get this impression from it at all. Very little of the catalog is made just to troll. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "core" but almost all MDE sketches have themes and specific goals of satire just like Tim and Eric sketches do

what I mean, basically, is that famous sketches like williamsburg street fashion basically rely on you, the viewer, having certain attitudes towards a specific third party, that is Brooklyn hipsters. and not just certain attitudes but an emotional attachment to those attitudes, such that you’d feel vindicated or pleased by seeing them enacted by Sam. i still think those people are super annoying, my sister lived in that area for years and I hated visiting her, but because I just don’t care about Brooklyn hipsters as much as sam does I don’t find the sketch as funny as his fans do. whereas to find Premium Prices funny I don’t have to care or even really know about cheaply produced late night commercials.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Eric Andre is the tim and eric of the 2010s not that troglodyte looking neo nazi ffs

yeah this is 100% accurate

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Farm Frenzy posted:

thjey got banned from the cumtown reddit because they basically just hung around calling people pussies for not laughing at slurs without ever actually making any jokes
That's just Cum Town posters in the Chapo threads

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

That's just Cum Town posters in the Chapo threads

It is kind of a direct chain of annoying fans with Opie and Anthony fans at the very bottom.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Teaching someone how to leverage a useful idiot is wise mentoring in the world of RW demagoguery and grifting.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Venom Snake posted:

can't tell if this is a right wing family dogwhistling about the people who made of the guy or a grieving family pissed that all the right wing groups the guy was involved in aren't bothering to support them at all

It's the second one, the whole thing about "washing their hands of you" makes no sense otherwise and is RW standard operating procedure when a TPUSA-intern-tier guy draws too much attention. My guess is they wanted the guys benefactors to turn this whole thing into a big crusade in his name and they were like nahhhhh.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

seems like the latter

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Venom Snake posted:

considering the first sentence (above the highlighted section) it’s very clearly trying to direct their comment at people like their son

Ugato has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Jan 16, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My company is considering hiring him to do some stuff, and I spoke vehemently against it because I think he's just an idiot anyway. Could someone point me in the direction of these (tweets or articles or whatever) so I can have some specific stuff to point out?

Shilling his app during mass shootings

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I got a tongue lashing from my boss for immediately saying "I'm pretty sure Scott Adams has said some pretty horrible, maybe racist stuff" (which so far I was apparently wrong about the explicit racism). Then I found the blog post where he said "Arguing with women is like arguing with children or the mentally disabled".

What was your boss's response to that?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
did the Australian guy who topped himself face any actual harassment or did he just see a parade of tweets calling him an unfuckable milksop or accusing him of having lower T than the drag queen he harassed and then decided “welp it’s all over for me now”?

mind you I certainly wouldn’t believe the likes of IT Glinner, but is there anything to his narrative?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Dr. Killjoy posted:

mind you I certainly wouldn’t believe the likes of IT Glinner, but is there anything to his narrative?

no, primarily because Glinner doesn't know the difference between trans people and drag queens, so his whole idea that this was about "being bullied by the transes for standing up for gay men" makes no sense here

The Chairman has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Jan 16, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

should've copied getfiscal. he's also a weird-looking troll, but he's a weird-looking troll dedicated to self-improvement and love instead of self-destruction and hate

no one can match getfiscal's adoration of gal gadot

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

it sounds like a right wing group put him up to doing it and dropped him like a hot potato when it ended up blowing back on him

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

it sounds like a right wing group put him up to doing it and dropped him like a hot potato when it ended up blowing back on him

inciting followers to violence to backing off to absolve themselves is how a lot of right-wing groups try to operate

"try" because most are too cowardly to actually start poo poo

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

itshappening.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well dang how do you say no to that