Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taco show posted:

Just go a little earlier and have time to go to a cool bar near your show.

This is a lie. Midtown Manhatten doesn't have cool bars. Bibble & Sip is a decent coffee place near Broadway, though.

taco show posted:

ALSO there’s a crazy ramen spot in westside called Ippudo where you sit in an individual study booth and they serve you the best ramen this side of the pacific.

Never been there, but they said the same thing about Momofuku and that place is overrated as hell. Besides, the best ramen this side of the Pacific is somehow in Lowell, Massachusetts. I know - I was surprised too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

taco show posted:

That’s a little close for LGA. They’re doing construction so the Uber/cab situation can be a true shitshow depending on if they’re bussing people to the second location. There’s also TERRIBLE public trans options to Manhattan. Just go a little earlier and have time to go to a cool bar near your show.

ALSO there’s a crazy ramen spot in westside called Ippudo where you sit in an individual study booth and they serve you the best ramen this side of the pacific.

I thought everyone was still raving about Ivan’s Ramen? We went there and it just confirmed my suspicion that I’d rather eat donburi and appear to have fallen out of love with ramen :|

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is Old Ox to Ariane (in green) a viable way to get to the rental car z0ne if 28 (in magenta) is messed up?

28 is likely to be better than 50, but you can do that if 28 has an accident.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is Old Ox to Ariane (in green) a viable way to get to the rental car z0ne if 28 (in magenta) is messed up?

Taking 28 at 4pm is highly unlikely to take an hour and a half. I'd be surprised if it took more than 30 minutes. You can take that route but it's only ever going to be better if 28 has a huge accident and I'd look at taking 657 as well.

asur fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 16, 2020

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Is setting up an Expert Flyer alert still the best way to keep an eye on future upgrade availability? Trying to figure out how to get my wife upgraded to Upper on a future Virgin Atlantic flight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Assuming you’re in Chantilly itself and not a few miles west, that will only be a faster route if 28 is red traffic over 50% or more of its length and Old Ox is mostly green. Old Ox has lower speeds and a number of stoplights in much of its length though I think it’s 4-lane the entire way and they’ve replaced all the stop signs. If you’re coming from west of South Riding then the Old Ox route is a little more appealing, if 28 is 50% or more yellow.

Ariane will bring you onto the airport behind economy parking fairly close to the rental car areas but that’s the road empty Flyer taxis use to return to the airport so you can see it backed up all the way to Old Ox at busy hours thanks to a couple of four way stops on the airport. It’s also crowded by people trying to sneak onto the free lanes on the toll road eastbound though that’s more of a weekday morning thing.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Theres no priority pass in PHX....what the gently caress?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

Every Priority Pass lounge is a single glass jar of biscotti and six room temperature cans of Miller Lite.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrLogan posted:

28 is likely to be better than 50…

asur posted:

Taking 28 at 4pm is highly unlikely to take an hour and a half…

Midjack posted:

Assuming you’re in Chantilly itself and not a few miles west…

Cool, thanks!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Every Priority Pass lounge is a single glass jar of biscotti and six room temperature cans of Miller Lite.

Wait, I forgot about the ones where it's a $20 credit at a Johnny Rockets that charges $75 for a Sysco burger.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Small White Dragon posted:

This may change eventually, but it's actually cheaper just to get the credit card that includes a membership.

And authorized users are free and can get into AA lounges on the card as well. Its the best if your family is all flying AA. I've got 4 traveling adults on 1 card.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

taco show posted:

That’s a little close for LGA. They’re doing construction so the Uber/cab situation can be a true shitshow depending on if they’re bussing people to the second location. There’s also TERRIBLE public trans options to Manhattan. Just go a little earlier and have time to go to a cool bar near your show.

Unless something changed at ippudo (I’ve only been to the original in noho), it’s ichiran that has individual seats. They’re both actually from japan though and are good. Ichiran is probably “Cooler” nowadays tho

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Vomik posted:

Unless something changed at ippudo (I’ve only been to the original in noho), it’s ichiran that has individual seats. They’re both actually from japan though and are good. Ichiran is probably “Cooler” nowadays tho

poo poo sorry it is Ichiran! Ippudo is still good too.

Edit: and my office is in Midtown so when I'm in town we go to Gingerman, DaDong rooftop in the summer, and Lantern's Keep (if i'm expensing lol). I'm a boring midwesterner though so ymmv on my bar selections

taco show fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 16, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Is setting up an Expert Flyer alert still the best way to keep an eye on future upgrade availability? Trying to figure out how to get my wife upgraded to Upper on a future Virgin Atlantic flight.

When I need an upgrade, yes, that’s how I do it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Waroduce posted:

Didn’t it get replaced by an Amex lounge?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cocoa Crispies posted:

And the doors only open 1 minute each hour, and is limited to 5 people.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
If my AA flight gets diverted overnight do I get another segment or miles? Same seat/flight number. Asking as someone who definitely wasn’t supposed to stay in Louisville tonight.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Banzai 3 posted:

If my AA flight gets diverted overnight do I get another segment or miles? Same seat/flight number. Asking as someone who definitely wasn’t supposed to stay in Louisville tonight.

No segment but usually comp miles.

edit: rdm not eqm

KillHour posted:

This is a lie. Midtown Manhatten doesn't have cool bars. Bibble & Sip is a decent coffee place near Broadway, though.

Never been there, but they said the same thing about Momofuku and that place is overrated as hell. Besides, the best ramen this side of the Pacific is somehow in Lowell, Massachusetts. I know - I was surprised too.

I agree w/ the midtown bit but the bartenders at Park Hyatt are competent with the classics in my experience. If you don’t want to leave Midtown.

Can’t agree about momofuku though. Noodle bar is great, Ssam is great. And LA has a few great ramen places.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 18, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

Can’t agree about momofuku though. Noodle bar is great, Ssam is great. And LA has a few great ramen places.

It's fine, but it's not great. It's serviceable. People talk about it like it's the second coming of noodle Jesus.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

David Chang is pretty loving good dude, also you messed up if you didn’t get the pork, shrimp or mushroom buns. Ginger Scallion noodles are also very good. They never have it on the menu but the cold ramen was my top 3 ever.

Like sure, Nakiryu is incredible and I’d probably put Tsujita Artisan noodle in LA ahead of Momofuku but what he’s doing with pork is special.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

David Chang is pretty loving good dude, also you messed up if you didn’t get the pork, shrimp or mushroom buns.

David Chang is great but it's not a threat to your honor as someone who has liked his food before and likes his TV show to say that his restaurants aren't uniformly spectacular.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

David Chang is pretty loving good dude, also you messed up if you didn’t get the pork, shrimp or mushroom buns. Ginger Scallion noodles are also very good. They never have it on the menu but the cold ramen was my top 3 ever.

Like sure, Nakiryu is incredible and I’d probably put Tsujita Artisan noodle in LA ahead of Momofuku but what he’s doing with pork is special.

tsujita is v good

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tsujita is v good

Yes. I favor shinsengumi when I’m in LA but Tsujita was impressive.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

Yes. I favor shinsengumi when I’m in LA but Tsujita was impressive.

Thanks for the idea, I always forget they have a few locations. I will go. Do you recommend a specific location?

I need to get out of the house to keep my tears from ruining my copies of Lucky Peach. My honor will be restored soon.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

David Chang is great but it's not a threat to your honor as someone who has liked his food before and likes his TV show to say that his restaurants aren't uniformly spectacular.

Momofuku DC is pretty patchy, the pork buns there aren't a patch on the ones at Mama Chang (one of Peter Chang's restaurants and there's no relation, although when David Chang was giving a talk at the Smithsonian a few years ago he made a point of saying the only Chang anyone cares about in DC and NoVA is Peter...).

Saying that, I do love their momobap.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 18, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Thanks for the idea, I always forget they have a few locations. I will go. Do you recommend a specific location?

I need to get out of the house to keep my tears from ruining my copies of Lucky Peach. My honor will be restored soon.

They’re all good. The one in Gardena is a slight favorite of mine but that’s probably because it was the first one I went to so just do the closest one to where you are.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

KillHour posted:

Besides, the best ramen this side of the Pacific is somehow in Lowell, Massachusetts. I know - I was surprised too.

Wait, what? What place is this?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Schiavona posted:

Wait, what? What place is this?

http://1981ramenbar.com/

Get the duck steamed buns.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Anyone else seeing this Lyft Pink thing? I’m not seeing any obvious catches

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The catch is they're increasing the yearly fee on my CSR and saying this makes up for it. Bastards.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KillHour posted:

The catch is they're increasing the yearly fee on my CSR and saying this makes up for it. Bastards.

wtf why is this the first i’m hearing about this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
got my letter the other day from delta, RIP 360

only spent like $40K so not too surprised

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Current members are grandfathered in for a year before the new price hits. I'll be strongly considering switching to the Amex Platinum when it happens.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It hits on your next renewal and you'll get the notice 30 days or so before that.

Also it's been all over the travel-blogger news.

You get DoorDash premium or whatever with it which, if you DoorDash a lot, can save you serious money, assuming you are fine still losing money by using DoorDash at all. Same kind of deal with Lyft pink.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I use Lyft all the drat time for work so those 10x points easily make it worth it. Neat

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How are you getting 10x Lyft point?

My corporate AMEX doubles my Uber Points but it ain’t much. I miss the Delta+SPG+Lyft+AMEX deals. :smith:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm ready to sign up for a CSR if a 100k point offer comes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Tab8715 posted:

How are you getting 10x Lyft point?

My corporate AMEX doubles my Uber Points but it ain’t much. I miss the Delta+SPG+Lyft+AMEX deals. :smith:

Any lyft rides paid for with CSR gets 10x points now

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Mandalay posted:

I'm ready to sign up for a CSR if a 100k point offer comes.

Unlikely in the near future. If they are confident enough to jack the annual fee by $100 in exchange for temporary benefits that are of no use to many then they clearly don't think they have a problem attracting new applicants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a feeling that the class-leading benefits at the original price was always meant to be a temporary tactic to break into the market, so to speak. Now that they've firmly established themselves as an A tier high-end card, they don't need to be a loss leader any more.