Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Beefstew posted:

Satre and his entourage are accurately portrayed as assholes.
More like Jizz-Poo Shartre.

Come at me, lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAdIJFTXNfI

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

"Everything That Lives Is Designed To End. They Are Perpetually Trapped In A Never-Ending Spiral Of Life And Death. However, Life Is All About The Struggle Within This Cycle. That Is What 'We' Believe."

The game is pretty explicit with its main thesis at the end of the game, quote above is spoiled on the off chance someone comes through this thread that hasn't played it yet. The whole game is very "Myth of Sisyphus"

I mean all of Kierkegaard's followers are committing a "philosophical suicide"

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 16, 2020

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
My favorite philosopher name-drop is Hegel, the desert ball boss. One thing he said was that to know yourself, you must know another. This is a pretty big hint towards the game's central theme of togetherness that Ending E practically spells out for you. The boss battle itself reflects this in that the balls become much more vulnerable only when they are separate, and are literally lifted up when joined together. It's also a turning point for A2; immediately after this battle, her memories are joined with 2B and she begins to chill out, evidenced by her uncharacteristic decision to spare Pascal right after this.

I love how the details in this game fit together.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Hikaki posted:

My favorite philosopher name-drop is Hegel, the desert ball boss. One thing he said was that to know yourself, you must know another. This is a pretty big hint towards the game's central theme of togetherness that Ending E practically spells out for you. The boss battle itself reflects this in that the balls become much more vulnerable only when they are separate, and are literally lifted up when joined together. It's also a turning point for A2; immediately after this battle, her memories are joined with 2B and she begins to chill out, evidenced by her uncharacteristic decision to spare Pascal right after this.

I love how the details in this game fit together.

This is all immensely true, and the way that everything in this game plays a narrative role is what makes it so astoundingly beautiful and easy to come back to and develop a new appreciation for.
That said Hegel is the worst boss in the entire game, the absolute wrong time to introduce the Berserker mechanic, and kinda makes the final Emil fight feel less special. Mechanically, I would change A LOT about that boss, more than any other in the game.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Beefstew posted:

the absolute wrong time to introduce the Berserker mechanic,

I would argue that it was the best time to introduce it because using it during that battle is the worst time. The Berserker mechanic is about going balls out on your own to your own detriment, which is appropriate because that's what A2 has been doing since she lost her companions. But it's not appropriate for this battle because it is the turning point for A2, where she begins to stop being alone and hurting herself over a neverending quest for revenge. Introducing it here means that you're likely to try it and fail miserably before realizing that you shouldn't use it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Hikaki posted:

I would argue that it was the best time to introduce it because using it during that battle is the worst time. The Berserker mechanic is about going balls out on your own to your own detriment, which is appropriate because that's what A2 has been doing since she lost her companions. But it's not appropriate for this battle because it is the turning point for A2, where she begins to stop being alone and hurting herself over a neverending quest for revenge. Introducing it here means that you're likely to try it and fail miserably before realizing that you shouldn't use it.

Hmm, that makes sense, and is an exceedingly Yoko Taro thing to do.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Personally it just made me never use Berserker mode ever so I'd say it was not that great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t even know there was a berserker mode

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I didn’t even know there was a berserker mode

It's not very good. You hold the sticks down and A2's outfit blows off, then she gets super strong and kills enemies by running into them, but her health is constantly draining, so you need to kill enemies to heal. And I don't think you can cancel out of it until you get to critical levels? It's been a while since I actually played the combat in the game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

It's not very good. You hold the sticks down and A2's outfit blows off, then she gets super strong and kills enemies by running into them, but her health is constantly draining, so you need to kill enemies to heal. And I don't think you can cancel out of it until you get to critical levels? It's been a while since I actually played the combat in the game.

Mostly right, with the exception of the fact it's very good, but you need to know what you're doing. It's a massive damage multiplier. Catch is, it also drains your health. If you have chips to heal as you damage or kill enemies, those work. Auto-heal doesn't.

When you drop to low enough health, A2 drops out of Berserk and is staggered for a few seconds, complete with a slow movement speed and distorted HUD. But as long as you can keep killing or using items, nobody stops. Combined with taunts, it lets you chew up even the toughest enemies in seconds. If they don't kill you first, that is. High risk, high reward.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Also, more importantly, it looks cool as gently caress.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

VHGS posted:

Also, more importantly, it looks cool as gently caress.

This was also my main reason for using it. Letting loose at story appropriate times is so badass.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, that arena by Desert Complex has an endless enemy spawn where Adam is born. Are there other endless spawns in the game?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, that arena by Desert Complex has an endless enemy spawn where Adam is born. Are there other endless spawns in the game?

Copied City boss room.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The berserk mode has another benefit - it tells players the controls for self destruction.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

It's not really an "endless" spawn since it only comes back once you leave but the rabbit statue in front of the amusement park will attack you if you attack it for a couple minutes. It is a very high level enemy so its not something to do until near the end-game but it also gives a huge amount of experience for killing it so even with the time it takes to get it to "wake up" its the fastest way to level up, if you can kill it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

if you can kill it.
It's super vulnerable to 9S hacking (after you wake it up)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

It's not really an "endless" spawn since it only comes back once you leave but the rabbit statue in front of the amusement park will attack you if you attack it for a couple minutes. It is a very high level enemy so its not something to do until near the end-game but it also gives a huge amount of experience for killing it so even with the time it takes to get it to "wake up" its the fastest way to level up, if you can kill it.

After they patched it the xp gain here sucks and the wake up takes absolutely forever on top of it.

Endless spawning enemies in the desert with auto chips turned on and just leaving the game to run is the easiest method by far, doesn't take long at all really.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

isk posted:

Bear in mind Yoko Taro's been working on a raid in FFXIV. Even if his main contributions are complete, he's likely still supervising and providing adjustments.

In case anyone still hasn't heard this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAgd9dbYIs

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Terper posted:

In case anyone still hasn't heard this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAgd9dbYIs

Owns.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Refresh my memory, after you play as 2B and then 9S, do you play as 2B again?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steve Yun posted:

Briefly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When you get the chapter select option, do you replay old chapters at the level you were at the first time you went through the chapter, or at your current power level?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

When you get the chapter select option, do you replay old chapters at the level you were at the first time you went through the chapter, or at your current power level?

At your current level.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

See you in Chicago tomorrow, assuming the plane can get me there at least!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Midjack posted:

See you in Chicago tomorrow, assuming the plane can get me there at least!

:yeah:

Ready to cry like a giant baby for 2 hours.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
Those going to Chicago tomorrow are in for an amazing show.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I have some questions about Nier. Is this the right place to ask them? Severe Nier and Nier: Automata spoilers.

What is pre-transfomation Emil? Is he a human? A Replicant? Something else?

Do Replicants age? If a Replicant like Fyra dies, but their Gestalt remains intact, will the Replicant just be remade?

Why do Devola and Popola help Nier gather the keys to the Shadowlord's castle if they don't actually want him to meet the Shadowlord?

Androids have to obey humans, yet Devola and Popola do not obey Nier when he asks them to stop barring his way. Do they not view him as human?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I'm near the theater in chicago just waiting and killing time. I'm so excited

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Nebrilos posted:

I have some questions about Nier. Is this the right place to ask them? Severe Nier and Nier: Automata spoilers.

What is pre-transfomation Emil? Is he a human? A Replicant? Something else?

Do Replicants age? If a Replicant like Fyra dies, but their Gestalt remains intact, will the Replicant just be remade?

Why do Devola and Popola help Nier gather the keys to the Shadowlord's castle if they don't actually want him to meet the Shadowlord?

Androids have to obey humans, yet Devola and Popola do not obey Nier when he asks them to stop barring his way. Do they not view him as human?

Pretty sure Emil is human, though heavily hosed with to the point of being something else.

Not sure about replicants age. I guess it would make sense if they didn't, but at one point Nier directly tells Popola she looks the same as when he first met her, which would imply he's used to people aging.

Pretty much nothing Devola and Popola do in the game makes any sense when you think about their goal (getting Weiss to fuse with Noir to help the Shadowlord) and that's just another thing they do that's against their goal. It sort of sours me on the narrative as a whole really.

I would assume that yeah, they don't consider replicants human. I think at one point you even see a shadow refer to itself as a real human.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

I’m having a burrito at the mall, the good Mexican joint just south of the theater was packed.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

I was under the impression that they were trying to grease him indirectly because if he's dead, then the Shadowlord can do what he's supposed to.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

RubberLuffy posted:

I just landed at O'Hare. Gonna barely make it. 7 hours of flight delays

Edit:. gently caress yeah. Made it. If you see a black GDQ hoodie, say hi

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 26, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:getin:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I'm up in 201 and it's a great view

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

So jealous of you guys

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
I was in 102, front row, last night, anyone else go then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/etyzis/i_got_yoko_taro_on_his_knees_trembling_as_he/