Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's a monster-catching game called Ooblets that I was interested in, until the developer turned Epic-exclusive and responded to fans of the game in a really condescending manner. That one had a pretty distinct style, with dancing as the central 'battle' mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Flash may be long gone but Zubats are forever.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Wow Temtem’s art direction is leaning pretty hard into their Pokémon but... thing. I mean the least you can do if you’re going to do a clone game is try to have your own unique visual identity.

Also this Pokémon clone discussion made me investigate and boy howdy are there a lot of games with monster collection/raising as a central mechanic. I counted something like 91 unique franchises, and that’s not counting any game where the ‘monsters’ are robots.

sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat with a single thought on my mind: kinda wanna play robopon again

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
There's some interesting stuff down this monster game rabbit hole.

Bizarrely, King of Bandit Jing, of all things, got a monster RPG and it's actually fairly well-remembered. I'm guessing that may be due to the fact that the manga artist did the monster design and it looks amazing:

(the names need a little imagination; they're all pretty on the nose with no attempt at jokes or puns)

Less surprisingly, Fighting Foodons had a few games and it's sad that they had absolutely horrible balance and zero exploration because the monster designs were incredible.

Someone should steal all these sprites and use them in a Pokemon fan hack.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I could understand that argument if Temtems wasn't literally ripping off Pokemon's plot and concept. They aren't doing anything new with it worldsetting-wise. They might be doing something more interesting mechanically but how well that pans out is something we'll have to see. Saying your game is going to be more challenging is one thing, making it fun to be more challenging is another. A vast majority of the time when someone complains about a kid's franchise being too easy and they set out to make their own they either end up with a tedious slog or a poorly balanced mess because a lot of game designers (including professional ones) are not that great at making challenging games. Pokemon sidesteps this by being designed for a wide audience and basically throwing everything that sticks at the wall for multiplayer and letting the playerbase figure out a meta.

Pokemon is easy but "I made Pokemon but hard!!" is a lot harder than it sounds. (Take a look at the littered remains of a hundred romhacks.) Making, for example, getting from town to town a genuine struggle sounds good on paper but in actuality a lot of people don't enjoy having to fight hard against what amounts to cannon fodder, and if you misbalance even a little then it becomes tedious and awful. Making gym battles require Real Strategy And Effort sounds cool until you realize that inherently limits what creatures you can bring with you, which hurts the "I can use my favorite Pokemon even if they're a goddamn Pikachu" aspect of the game. The best choice is probably making the game give the illusion of challenge instead of real challenge but pulling that off is hard.

You make good points, but to be fair Shin Megami Tensei has been doing "capture a creature with certain types, strengths, and weaknesses" and have had their games fairly challenging.

It's not just challenge but map design, features, etc. I will admit that I haven't played Pokemon since the 3DS entries, but even then it seemed like the games barely changed during the single player mode outside of putting the camera behind the back rather than overhead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh man put Guillotine Mon in Siralim Ultimate

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

You make good points, but to be fair Shin Megami Tensei has been doing "capture a creature with certain types, strengths, and weaknesses" and have had their games fairly challenging.
SMT is absolutely not about winning with your favourite demons and having a good time though. This is why I was poo-pooing this comparison, the appeals and goals of the two series couldn't be more different, even if they are superficially similar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's not just challenge but map design, features, etc. I will admit that I haven't played Pokemon since the 3DS entries, but even then it seemed like the games barely changed during the single player mode outside of putting the camera behind the back rather than overhead.

The issue there is the SMT is explicitly *not* about keeping your favorite demons. Things become outdated insanely quickly and the themes of the games push towards changing as soon as possible. They have lightened somewhat but at the end of the day without a shitload of grinding you are not taking Jack Frost to the endgame.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Any difficult Pokémon game would also not be about using your favorites. There are plenty of terrible Pokémon that would not stand a chance in a Pokémon game where the NPCs take the gloves off.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yeah it's almost like SMT is a Pokémon-like game for non-casual gamers.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
another pokemon/smt argument? I'm gonna start talking poo poo about nep if you guys keep this up

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything I need to know before diving into Atelier Ryza, given that it's my first Atelier game? Just through thread osmosis I've gathered that time limits and such have become increasingly less important as the series has gone on (if they even still have them) but I'm just kind of curious if there are any gotchas.

Completely unrelated question, is there by chance a list anywhere online of the "best" versions of games that have been released on multiple systems or have multiple translations? Like I remember when I asked about the best way to play FFV nowadays, someone suggested the GBA version with a specific translation and... I think an SFX fix patch or something? I'd love a list like that, I've been thinking of replaying a bunch of classic RPGs and it'd be nice to know what system/translation makes the most sense. Like, I know there's a better retranslation out there for BoF2 but I can't remember which system it's for (or which one had the absolutely god-awful UI)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
In other monster game rabbit hole news, you'd think Sanrio, creators of iconic characters known and beloved world wide, would be able to make a monster-taming hit with very little effort.

They tried and it sucked. Sanrio Time Net, Sanrio's Pokemon-clone attempt, was pretty horrible. The monster designs are horribly uninspired for such a prolific icon-creating company (there are some standouts but not many), the gameplay is nightmarishly hard for no particular reason, and the Sanrio characters that are in it are A) Not catchable/usable B) Have personalities that don't mesh with their popular depictions.

I'm not sure anyone playtested this game which is ostensibly for the small children who are Sanrio fans, as you are dropped into the middle of a field after picking your first monster, and must rely on trial and error to find a spot to heal your monsters and save in the little time you have before random battles kill off your horribly weak, level 1 friend and force you to restart the game from scratch. After that it's just a hell grind for half an hour until you have a few monsters that can withstand 2-3 hits and are ready to venture out of the FIRST SCREEN.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MockingQuantum posted:

Anything I need to know before diving into Atelier Ryza, given that it's my first Atelier game? Just through thread osmosis I've gathered that time limits and such have become increasingly less important as the series has gone on (if they even still have them) but I'm just kind of curious if there are any gotchas.

I recommend playing on hard mode unless you're looking to breeze through the game. There might be a few sticking points where hard mode is needlessly challenging but you can always just lower the difficulty just for those bosses then raise it back up

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MockingQuantum posted:

Completely unrelated question, is there by chance a list anywhere online of the "best" versions of games that have been released on multiple systems or have multiple translations? Like I remember when I asked about the best way to play FFV nowadays, someone suggested the GBA version with a specific translation and... I think an SFX fix patch or something? I'd love a list like that, I've been thinking of replaying a bunch of classic RPGs and it'd be nice to know what system/translation makes the most sense. Like, I know there's a better retranslation out there for BoF2 but I can't remember which system it's for (or which one had the absolutely god-awful UI)
FFV it's GBA with the SFC sound-fix patch, which I have never given enough of a poo poo about to care, the actual functionality is best on GBA (the mobile port has the same translation and fixes a bunch of bugs that are mostly in the player's favor so it's a totally acceptable second with a great autobattle option GBA doesn't have)

but in general I don't know a resource no

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it's pretty rare for the most recent version to not be the best in general

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The issue there is the SMT is explicitly *not* about keeping your favorite demons. Things become outdated insanely quickly and the themes of the games push towards changing as soon as possible. They have lightened somewhat but at the end of the day without a shitload of grinding you are not taking Jack Frost to the endgame.

I'll concede with the difficulty argument, but I'll still stand that these games could evolve and just overall lack the ambition that they could potentially have.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'll concede with the difficulty argument, but I'll still stand that these games could evolve and just overall lack the ambition that they could potentially have.

They *could*, but since they always top the best-seller chart on release, there's not a lot of reason for them to, unfortunately.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I recommend playing on hard mode unless you're looking to breeze through the game. There might be a few sticking points where hard mode is needlessly challenging but you can always just lower the difficulty just for those bosses then raise it back up

Out of curiosity, what does the difficulty setting change?

"Play it on hard" is kind of go-to advice for a lot of games when discussed on SA, but I'm always skeptical of it as advice, since in my experience it makes games more tedious about as often as it makes them more fun, but it in particular seems like a crapshoot when it comes to RPGs unless you know precisely what's getting changed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MockingQuantum posted:

"Play it on hard" is kind of go-to advice for a lot of games when discussed on SA, but I'm always skeptical of it as advice, since in my experience it makes games more tedious about as often as it makes them more fun, but it in particular seems like a crapshoot when it comes to RPGs unless you know precisely what's getting changed.

Enemies get strong enough that you don't 2HKO bosses if you put a bit of effort into crafting decent bombs

You can change it whenever you want so if you're wary you can just play on normal and up it if you think you need to

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Enemies get strong enough that you don't 2HKO bosses if you put a bit of effort into crafting decent bombs

You can change it whenever you want so if you're wary you can just play on normal and up it if you think you need to

Oh cool, I love that more games in recent memory let you change it on the fly. I'll give it a spin on hard then!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Health and attack of monsters. From what little I've played I can see the reason to switch to hard: you can't really stop your party members from attacking, you have quests that tell you to do X in battle a number of times, monsters are already dying before I really get the chance to do X.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Morpheus posted:

They *could*, but since they always top the best-seller chart on release, there's not a lot of reason for them to, unfortunately.

True. I brought up Breath of the Wild earlier, but it was Skyward Sword's underperformance that contributed to Nintendo experimenting with the formula.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s like hard on Cold Steel.

It doesn’t make the game harder but at least enemies last long enough to do something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s like hard on Cold Steel.

It doesn’t make the game harder but at least enemies last long enough to do something

This is why I don't listen to difficulty recommendations, CS3 on normal was plenty hard enough for me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sakurazuka posted:

This is why I don't listen to difficulty recommendations, CS3 on normal was plenty hard enough for me.

I’m talking about the first two.

I haven’t played three. They could have made adjustments for all I know

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have no idea why you'd want a jRPG fight to last longer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah why would the RPG thread want a game where not all fights end with one-shotting the enemy with the same strategy over and over again

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I have no idea why you'd want a jRPG fight to last longer.

In Cold Steel 2 the animations for your attacks could last longer than a fight. Imagine how tedious that is

You can skip that now but still

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Alliance Alive HD is out on Steam now. Any thoughts on it? It seems quaint getting a budget SaGa-lite on Steam now that we have RS2, 3 and Scarlet Graces (and Last Remnant, the true successor to the SaGa throne I will fight you).

FuRyu can't even make card game games right so I'm seriously skeptical of their ability to make a good SaGa-esque.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Alliance Alive HD is out on Steam now. Any thoughts on it? It seems quaint getting a budget SaGa-lite on Steam now that we have RS2, 3 and Scarlet Graces (and Last Remnant, the true successor to the SaGa throne I will fight you).

FuRyu can't even make card game games right so I'm seriously skeptical of their ability to make a good SaGa-esque.

dunno what the steam version adds, but the original was very mediocre. there are some cool things but they're like, optional lore bits you find in the last 10% of the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thinking of the difficulty discussion, are there any RPGs that are significantly better on a more difficult mode than normal for a first playthrough? The first one that comes to mind is Odin Sphere.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the newer tales games, imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thinking of the difficulty discussion, are there any RPGs that are significantly better on a more difficult mode than normal for a first playthrough? The first one that comes to mind is Odin Sphere.

Valkyrie Profile, where hard mode is just superior in basically every way to normal mode. It isn't even harder, it's actually easier than normal mode.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Getsuya posted:

I love SaGa and Alliance Alive (and Legend of Legacy) was just disappointing to me. Very soulless also-ran games, like all of FuRyu's work. :(

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Pokemon is a game for young kids, they're not going to add in hardcore strategic mechanics or anything.

If you're 9 levels above the pokemon you're fighting, surprise, it's going to be a cakewalk.

accessible to kids doesnt mean completely mindless imo. see: every other nintendo game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

babypolis posted:

accessible to kids doesnt mean completely mindless imo. see: every other nintendo game

I'm not sure how Pokemon is any more mindless than Mario or most Zelda or CERTAINLY most Kirby games. It's an RPG instead of an action game so there's less twitch requirements but that's something entirely different. Most of those games are absurdly easy by design. BotW is considered the 'hard' Zelda and it's hard because you can only become invincible and destroy everything effortlessly by experimenting for a bit instead of it being the default state.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sakurazuka posted:

I think the issue with CS3 is that the difficulty completely breaks at the back end. By the final boss, I had Musse dealing 30000-40000 damage every 5-6 turns. It's ludicrous. Even hard was trivialised. And I hear it gets even worse if you abuse Brave Orders.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure how Pokemon is any more mindless than Mario or most Zelda or CERTAINLY most Kirby games. It's an RPG instead of an action game so there's less twitch requirements but that's something entirely different. Most of those games are absurdly easy by design. BotW is considered the 'hard' Zelda and it's hard because you can only become invincible and destroy everything effortlessly by experimenting for a bit instead of it being the default state.

they arent super hardcore difficult games but theres certainly a lot more to them than choosing the correct type and pressing a a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

babypolis posted:

they arent super hardcore difficult games but theres certainly a lot more to them than choosing the correct type and pressing a a lot

Most RPGs boil down to 'pick the correct option, hit A." Depending on how engaging and fun they make it or what options they offer that is generally all they need. SMT for example is quite literally "choose the correct type, press A" 90% of the time.

Even beyond that it's pretty reductive because Pokemon was specifically designed in a mindset where the complex and difficult gameplay would be in the multiplayer. The game engine is designed around that very specifically. If you want a challenge in Pokemon you are expected to be fighting other people, not the story.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 17, 2020