Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Really? I was about to just look up the solution because I couldn't be bothered to puzzle it out, but I remembered fire arrows, and I didn't notice anything weird about them being tough to light. Weird.

Honestly I haven't liked the motion control shrines (except maybe the one where you slide spikes around to clear a path, that's basic enough to work ok), but the rolling labyrinth is the only one I've outright hated. No idea how anyone has the patience to do it correctly, to say nothing of doing it in handheld mode.

I think that labyrinth, I just worked out how to catapult the ball where needed by slamming the labyrinth into it as it fell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I just flipped the maze over. It's flat on the bottom.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You don't have to do any of them, I think.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Breath of the Wild:

ColdPie posted:

You don't have to do any of them

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Except the first four.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zack Ater posted:

I just flipped the maze over. It's flat on the bottom.

That was fun to do with the Wii U game pad.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Can anyone please post or point me to the comic where Zelda says something like, I held off ganon for a thousand years while waiting for you and you just hosed around. Why did you just gently caress around link? My googlefu has failed me.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i think it's one of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=zel...iw=1366&bih=625

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

That first one was it, thanks!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*sheepishly hides Majora's Mask and full Tingle and Phantom Ganon suits behind back*

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Where's the comic where Zelda thanks Link for saving her less than 30 minutes after waking up after braving Ganon with like, a pot lid and a loving deku stick

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Where's the comic where Zelda thanks Link for saving her less than 30 minutes after waking up after braving Ganon with like, a pot lid and a loving deku stick

You probably don't mean this video, but I feel like it is relevant to the current discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1or3YILu28M

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1or3YILu28M&t=234s

e:f;b

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Got breath of the wild for Christmas and I just reached the Yiga Hideout and I am super not a fan of any of the following:

-Forced stealth sections
-Enemies with unqualified one-hit-kill attacks
-Respawning of all enemies if you flee a fuckup like a coward making discovery equivalent to death
-So far a complete lack of checkpointing on death

It's not hard and yes they're all weak to those delicious bananas but it's so wildly more punishing than literally anything else in the game so far which is annoying

I've done a lot of loving around in botw but I've never felt that my time was being actively wasted until right about now

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Meiteron posted:

Got breath of the wild for Christmas and I just reached the Yiga Hideout and I am super not a fan of any of the following:

-Forced stealth sections
-Enemies with unqualified one-hit-kill attacks
-Respawning of all enemies if you flee a fuckup like a coward making discovery equivalent to death
-So far a complete lack of checkpointing on death

It's not hard and yes they're all weak to those delicious bananas but it's so wildly more punishing than literally anything else in the game so far which is annoying

I've done a lot of loving around in botw but I've never felt that my time was being actively wasted until right about now

You have one-hit kill attacks against them as well. Any sneakstrike kills them instantly. Also if you have upgraded stasis you can just stasis them before they are alerted and literally walk right past them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I hate forced stealth segments in non-stealth games, but that section was about 1% as bad as I remembered when I got to it the other day. Like, I spent a whole evening dreading going back to it, and it was basically "wait, that was it?" after about two quick rooms.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly I hate forced stealth segments in non-stealth games, but that section was about 1% as bad as I remembered when I got to it the other day. Like, I spent a whole evening dreading going back to it, and it was basically "wait, that was it?" after about two quick rooms.

It’s super easy but yeah the first time you stress it and go super solid snake slo-mo stealth mode when that’s not really necessary.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The real problem is that it's just an instafail if you get spotted, rather than at least giving you a chance to fight your way out in a comically escalating action scene as troops gradually pour in after you get spotted.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I basically play BoTW as a Stealth game.

Link ain't got time for chivalry he will backstab you and if he can't do that he'll pelt you with a million Bomb arrows.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

For a game which is all about letting you do things whatever way you like, the yiga hideout (which is on the main quest by the way) sure is awfully restrictive in the ways that you can tackle it. I don't think anything else needs to be said for why it sticks out in the game. Some players won't struggle with it at all, but others will and are left with no option but to keep struggling.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

The real problem is that it's just an instafail if you get spotted, rather than at least giving you a chance to fight your way out in a comically escalating action scene as troops gradually pour in after you get spotted.
That is what happens. The thing is that all the blademasters in the hideout have a unique instakill property to their attacks, so you need to be really drat good to not die after getting caught.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Amppelix posted:

That is what happens. The thing is that all the blademasters in the hideout have a unique instakill property to their attacks, so you need to be really drat good to not die after getting caught.

I sorta thought I remembered that but I got dumped to a fail the couple times they caught me :confused:
e: maybe they just got me right away and I thought it was scripted

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah their attack ignores Mipha's Grace and any fairies you might have and everything so it is actually pretty annoying to deal with them through actual fair combat the way you're used to. The non-chronic hoarders in the audience might employ an Ancient Arrow or two to unexist some of the guards for the sake of not thinking hard about it.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

just lure them into a field of electrified weapons with some bananas

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Just be sure to use a lynel bow with those ancient arrows of yours, right? Right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are multiple ways to beat the hideout and none of them are particularly difficult.

I will say that is the time of the game when I realized you could throw things like bananas instead of just dropping them. And that was my final divine beast.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just started playing BOTW, my simple brain is confused by tooltips:

https://imgur.com/a/LSPVbDw

Hylian Tunic looks like it will "increase my Armor from 1 to 3" but if I go and look at my currently equipped Warm Dublet it has 7 Armor. So... Wtf?

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012
7 is the total Armor of all your currently equipped clothes, on the left you can see the Warm Dublet gives you 1 Armor, the hood is 3 Armor etc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I hate the yiga hideout with my life and next time I will just delete all the guards with ancient arrows

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RED HOT SLIT posted:

7 is the total Armor of all your currently equipped clothes, on the left you can see the Warm Dublet gives you 1 Armor, the hood is 3 Armor etc.

D'oh, I didn't notice the armor numbers on the item-icon itself. I was only looking at the tooltip for the Dublet where it shows armor bonuses everything.

That's a really weird system....

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I hate the yiga hideout with my life and next time I will just delete all the guards with ancient arrows

But then you won't get to enjoy their delight as they excitedly prance over to a surprise banana :(

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I just got to the Yiga hideout and I was prepared to post about how it was really frustrating me, but seeing that I can just use Ancient Arrows to delete the guards sounds like a good idea, I do have 57 of the things.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm going through my third playthrough and I just got to Naydra and am getting a monologue about him. I just realized. Who the hell is telling Link all of this information here?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Isn't it the Goddess Statue? They all telepathize at him, after all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just finished it, yeah you are right. I had forgotten that they talk to you on certain things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My Link's usually been on the go for at least 72 hours straight, of course statues are gonna talk to him.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Another bit of weirdness: I just ran into the Lynel at the Lanayru East Gate and when I was first coming upon him from some hills he was just farting around teleporting from place to place with a shimmer. What the gently caress.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’ve seen them warp around before. It’s word that it’s part of their idle routine but pretty cool nonetheless

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man...I don't remember the random Yiga assholes being nearly so prevalent and annoying after beating that dungeon, maybe I just didn't play long enough to notice. But it feels like I'm getting them every few minutes - the archers were an annoyance, but the blademasters are an outright pain. I just got two in the space of a couple minutes, all while I was trying to farm some Guardian bits. Just let me do what I want, game! :arghfist:

How many bananas do you still have in your inventory after leaving their hideout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

How many bananas do you still have in your inventory after leaving their hideout?

Oh...can you distract them? Somehow that never comes to mind outside the stealth section.
(alternately it'd be funny if the spawn rate is tied to how many bananas you're carrying, which has been "a fuckload" at times)