Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Pinche Rudo posted:

If you took an MRI of that guy's brain would it look more like jelly or still have some solid matter and the consistency of a strawberry preserve?

That gif of Homer's brain with the cartoon animals dancing, but replaced with dumb WWE poo poo instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Benne posted:

We know that New Japan doesn't have agents -- other than knowing the finish and maybe an angle, the wrestlers are trusted to go out there and call it in the ring. Moxley talked about this on his first NJPW match, when he got in the ring and realized it was just him and his opponent, with nobody yelling in his ear about what to do.

follow up question: why is aew bothering with agents?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

oh but seriously I posted:

who knows. tony khan thinks they're cool?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea of them. Its good to have more heads involved if they're working together properly and it makes sense to have someone in there who connects the match to the rest of the show and serve as the middle man if necessary to tell them they can't do something or should do something.

Its just a question of whether you over do it and micro manage everything, which clearly WWE does.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think a good half the roster would be really lost without them. they have tons of people who are green or just kinda bad and need the kind of help that would probably only come from an experience level of 3 matches per week over 5 years

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Much like everything else WWE ruins, agents aren't an inherently bad idea. While we romanticize the idea of "calling it in the ring," a lot of wrestlers don't feel comfortable with that style and need help laying out their matches and being produced on promos and whatnot.

Having some grizzled veterans around to give out pointers and bounce ideas off is perfectly fine ... when the ideas aren't filtered through a racist senile 70-something who runs his promotion as a fiefdom, and those veterans barely even have a say.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
For every wrestler who could call it in the ring and have a great match there's twenty miserable old cunts who claim they could and just stank up the place sitting in chinlocks to apathetic crowds.

And if you want to talk realism in a fight I'd leave the fancy dress crown at the door.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

thank you for the informative replies. it is weird when cavauro serious posts. nice weird

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What did rovert do to finally get banned? I remember him being insufferable with his scoops and being creepily obsessed with certain women wrestlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfu39kzXTTQ

Same thing happened here, with Lowtax stopping by to personally ban him

Several members of this forum asked for him to be unbanned. He got banned again after that, and then after that he ate a second post-Lowtax ban and J-Ru made the No Rovert rule.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

thank you for the informative replies. it is weird when cavauro serious posts. nice weird

The Bengals are going to get Joe Burrow, lucid cavauro will be showing up more often.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

more people on the indies have been using the agenting idea in a kind of "point guy" kind of way. Basically rather than bother the promoter with bullshit like "my match is too short" or "I want to use this finish" the agent gets to deal with that while the promoter freaks out about where the loving ambulance is or [insert yr fave gabe freakout moment there].

Now that I think about it, its been around forever most guys that like telling their stories to everyone are the ones that act like they always had a hotline to the booker. WWE's just been the one to saddle them with a dorky name.

Seriously people that work at Best Buy are called agents. That's so demeaning.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

Much like everything else WWE ruins, agents aren't an inherently bad idea.

Paging "pin the champion to get a title shot" to the thread.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MJeff posted:

Paging "pin the champion to get a title shot" to the thread.

I normally hate this trope because I think your champ should never get pinned unless it matters, but fortunately the good promotions make it matter. NJPW saves pinning their champions for the middle of a G1 (a grueling tournament where anyone can lose at any time, and whomever beats the champ almost always gets a fair title shot) and in multi-mans where it tells a strong story (like the G1 Final multi-man where Suzuki took out all his pent-up frustration at being left out of the tourney by murdering Okada and pinning him to earn an emphatic title challenge). And even AEW made it work -- that throwaway segment where Jericho waved the title at Scorpio and went "you'll never get a shot at this" turned into a cool little story where Scorpio pinned him in a tag match and did, indeed, get a shot at that title.

So pinning your champs in non-title situations can work, but only if you're committed to a long-term story, And we all know how committed WWE is to long-term stories.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem with the way WWE does it is that they've only got a handful of people in title contention so like the guy pinning the champ in a non title match is almost always the guy you already knew was next up for a title shot, might already have that title shot, or just lost a title shot. Sometimes its someone who has been elevated but WWE almost always makes that very obvious and overt as well. Its just a rinse and repeat step to more of the same matches.

Jericho/Scorpio is a case of a singles champion taking on the tag champions thinking he and his partner can best them, and the tag champions coming out on top because they're a better team. And then Jericho letting Scorpio get to him and his fragile ego and needing to prove he's better than him. Its got unique story and its not the same as if Jericho just had a non title match with Jon Moxley and he pinned him.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Benne posted:

NJPW saves pinning their champions for the middle of a G1 (a grueling tournament where anyone can lose at any time, and whomever beats the champ almost always gets a fair title shot)...

Tell Yano this!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IceAgeComing posted:

Tell Yano this!

He did it in 2018 and coward Gedo refused to give him the shot he'd earned :argh:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The low blow / rollup into a 2.9 count in an IWGP Title match would have sent a Korakuen crowd absolutely haywire and I’m mad it never happened

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My dream match is that Yano finally gets his title shot and whoever the champ is comes in all relaxed and wearing a cup and all smiles because they'll just win real easy.

Then about one minute into the match they suddenly realize that it's serious Yano.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Pinning the champ rules and should be a nice hype moment like when the previous NBA champions return at virtually full strength and get scheduled against another team that is good and that other team wins. People start talking about them as contenders. it should not be the main way to create title shots or ever come close to that

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Interesting to see so many people defending him, but then again that was almost three years ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Interesting to see so many people defending him, but then again that was almost three years ago.

Because it was an unjust ban and that poo poo was made up. That's why it was reversed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

There is something comforting about the fact that Lowtax hasn't changed in the entire time he's owned SA. Except his height, he's probably shorter now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gumball Gumption posted:

There is something comforting about the fact that Lowtax hasn't changed in the entire time he's owned SA. Except his height, he's probably shorter now.

that's because he's sitting

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Because it was an unjust ban and that poo poo was made up. That's why it was reversed.

So what everyone else has been saying about him isn't true? Because he also PMed me once years ago when I said he was being creepy about I think Bayley.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The restraining order stuff is what is made up, because he acts like someone who would have one taken out against them, which isn't funny, but undoubtedly was bothersome and therefore continually stated

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

he's gonna post

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/1217982054027218944

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is that guy hollering at her or everyone

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mike you didn't do poo poo

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Did Kurtz lose the weight before or after his visit from Captain Willard :v:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Cavauro posted:

is that guy hollering at her or everyone

This dude is a riot

https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/1217281014931824641

Who does that? Really? Who gives a gently caress? My hair used to be 377lbs of 90's gently caress. I was made fun of for decades.

WrasslorMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 17, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WrasslorMonkey posted:

This dude is a riot

https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/1217281014931824641

Who does that? Really? Who gives a gently caress? My hair used to be 377lbs of 90's gently caress. I was made fun of for decades.

Come at me, they pay me to be controversial.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He’s heard the stories about Warren and younger men

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Reddit has a thread where they gush over what great heel work this is and how Dave got worked by responding to him.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Web Jew.0 posted:

Reddit has a thread where they gush over what great heel work this is and how Dave got worked by responding to him.

It's insane how many people trip over themselves to call Corbin a "great heel" when he's terrible at all the things a heel is supposed to do, which is make people want to tune into TV and buy tickets/PPVs to see him lose. Like, a heel's job isn't to troll on Twitter in between slapping chinlocks on Raw, it's to, you know ... draw money. His big PPV main event was one of WWE's biggest business failures of the decade, and ratings were so bad with him on top that they literally turned it into a storyline blaming him for the drop.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

It's insane how many people trip over themselves to call Corbin a "great heel"

WWE is a cult

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I can't imagine a world where someone has bought a ticket because of something Corbin did. I CAN imagine a world where someone changed a channel, but only to get away from him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is sort of a stupid wrestling fan opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

This surely violates some kind of anti-bullying law. Just imagine moving away from there and having people ask where you're from. Imagine having to admit that you're from a place named after a lovely WWE second-stringer.