Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I had a family member pass unexpectedly this weekend, I put in emergency leave and the Department head and LPOs were great about getting it together. Unfortunately he passed before I could even leave the building, I canceled it and am leaving for this weekend to help out and see all the family.

I hear my DIVO, first person from my chain I see, yell my name this morning while I’m working. I figured she was going to offer her condolences which was awkward and interrupted my work but whatever, I appreciate the gesture.

“Why are there no name tapes on your pants?” When I tell her they’re not required in type 3’s she runs her fat rear end to the departments LPOs in the back office to demand they punish me for my crimes. I just printed out the NPC regs and walked off.

So that’s my story. gently caress the Navy. And most of all gently caress you commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My version of that was some chief furiously insisting that my flight deck boots were not uniform for wear anywhere outside of the boat or flight line as I calmly pointed out that they are 8 inch tall black all leather lace up boots as the uniform regs required at the time

I was being disrespectful, you see

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Condolences Gunner that sucks.

That said, loving lol at both of those stories.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

My version of that was some chief furiously insisting that my flight deck boots were not uniform for wear anywhere outside of the boat or flight line as I calmly pointed out that they are 8 inch tall black all leather lace up boots as the uniform regs required at the time

I was being disrespectful, you see

Wat

Who the gently caress

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Why the gently caress am I participating in an organization that give so little a gently caress about people? I’m on the verge of ripping up my special program package lest I do a few months more obliserve more otherwise. I’m four years in and it just never gets better because people just have to be a lovely and petty as possible.

I just want out so I can be with my family 4000 miles away and to work somewhere that at least pretends like it gives a poo poo.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 13, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you have a chief’s mess worth a poo poo take a break to go talk to your chief, a chief you trust, or the CMC. If you don’t feel like you can talk to anyone, go to your department head or xo. Someone somewhere should care about your circumstances. If not, well, that makes the decision to get out easier.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Why the gently caress am I participating in an organization that give so little a gently caress about people? I’m on the verge of ripping up my special program package lest I do a few months more obliserve more otherwise. I’m four years in and it just never gets better because people just have to be a lovely and petty as possible.

I just want out so I can be with my family 4000 miles away and to work somewhere that at least pretends like it gives a poo poo.

I'm was in the same boat. It was either get into a special billet or get out of the Navy.

A whole bunch of sailors wind up in my unit under similar circumstances. Life is actually good here though. Limited Navy bullshit. Actual job satisfaction. Not 100% bad leaders.

I can't speak for every unit you could land in but some are worth it if you're staying in.

What is your rate again?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CMD598 posted:

Wat

Who the gently caress

I had come to expect arbitrary shittiness from stranger Chiefs by that point in my enlistment. The really insulting part of the whole affair was my own chief getting a call from that guy and then solemnly telling me to give them three bags full even if I was absolutely in the right

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Unfortunately, your work will probably never even pretend to give a poo poo, but being far away from any military base and spitting at the very mention of the world's finest navy while you bank vet's bennies is really cool and good

I'm sorry for your loss and your divo sucks poo poo

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you have a chief’s mess worth a poo poo take a break to go talk to your chief, a chief you trust, or the CMC. If you don’t feel like you can talk to anyone, go to your department head or xo. Someone somewhere should care about your circumstances. If not, well, that makes the decision to get out easier.

The POs and (most of) the Chiefs ironically are better than the officers that work in admin. They’re taking care of actually ramming my leave through, and thankfully I know the Department head will do her part. I’m in the HM community working mostly for nurses and the for whatever reason there’s a handful of ancient turds Nurse corps officers that run our back office and garbage commander is one of them. It looks like a lot of the good nurses get out, especially NPs.

The package I’m putting in for a niche HM community that might be a hell of a lot less toxic but I’m just disgusted with the Navy between major hospitals and my time in deck department now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Unfortunately, your work will probably never even pretend to give a poo poo, but being far away from any military base and spitting at the very mention of the world's finest navy while you bank vet's bennies is really cool and good

I'm sorry for your loss and your divo sucks poo poo

I appreciate it and boy does she.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Why the gently caress am I participating in an organization that give so little a gently caress about people?

Organizations of this size are unthinking, unloving AIs. It's the people within that make it. The reason to stay is to shoulder the portion of that burden you can carry and train it out of future generations. If the burden is too much, you shouldn't stay. It's weeds in a garden, it's maintaining fitness-it will never not be work and it will never be solved.

Assuming your DIVO is a boot ensign, they compact of leadership for officers is that they're assigned responsibilities beyond their experience and are expected to rise to the challenge. They're afforded little time once they grasp their role and its conduct before being pushed on to the next challenge. Hopefully your problem makes it to the chief or the department head and the chief and department head can steer the course of this young leader more productively.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol orders imploded yet again. The DC school I was supposed to attend didn’t have us enrolled nor did we have the medical waiver. Now we are being sent home for two weeks... then coming back for the school.... then sent home for two weeks... then back to comsec school for three weeks then to the ship

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

piL posted:

Organizations of this size are unthinking, unloving AIs. It's the people within that make it. The reason to stay is to shoulder the portion of that burden you can carry and train it out of future generations. If the burden is too much, you shouldn't stay. It's weeds in a garden, it's maintaining fitness-it will never not be work and it will never be solved.

Assuming your DIVO is a boot ensign, they compact of leadership for officers is that they're assigned responsibilities beyond their experience and are expected to rise to the challenge. They're afforded little time once they grasp their role and its conduct before being pushed on to the next challenge. Hopefully your problem makes it to the chief or the department head and the chief and department head can steer the course of this young leader more productively.

If it was a boot ensign I could just blow them off lol. I’ve done that plenty of time. It’s nursing so it’s different, it’s a commander whose a prior enlisted corpsman over 20. Not divo exactly but I’m approximating to similar levels of responsibilities. In my experience most boot ensigns are less shitheels than chiefs or O-3s.

But gently caress of all days to be a petty tyrant. Only my fellow POs in the department have actually said anything to me at all regarding it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol orders imploded yet again. The DC school I was supposed to attend didn’t have us enrolled nor did we have the medical waiver. Now we are being sent home for two weeks... then coming back for the school.... then sent home for two weeks... then back to comsec school for three weeks then to the ship

I feel for my tax payer dollars being wasted on your misadventure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

I feel for my tax payer dollars being wasted on your misadventure.

Thank you for Tax Dollars.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Please max out your daily COLA. I'm still mad about my last tax bill and at least it can go towards making Crab Dad happy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Thank you for Tax Dollars.

Do you get to claim frequent flier miles as well? >.>

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Do you get to claim frequent flier miles as well? >.>

Yes

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm going through my picture directories to kick off the new TFR airpower thread and found a few Navy applicable ones I'd forgotten about.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
yeah i live about 20m normal drive away from NOB and i still have to leave by 430 to arrive in time for breakfast. this traffic is rear end

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I'm finding it more convenient to leave at 10pm and take a good 7 hour nap on board vice the 2 hour morning drive. Thanks Navy, your jealous claws tear me from my own bed to grant me sleep and sane commute times.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Meanwhile I'm bitching that I have a meeting at 9 across town that's going to take me 30 minutes to get to vice my usual 11 minute shoes-to-desk routine.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
NASWI turned into the site of a lot of impromptu bumper cars today as people ended up inadvertantly Tokyo drifting their way out of base due to snow.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

NASWI turned into the site of a lot of impromptu bumper cars today as people ended up inadvertantly Tokyo drifting their way out of base due to snow.

When I was there they were (in)famous for closing the base (late)and sending everyone home, at the same time, 30 minutes after 3/4 of personnel had already arrived... leading to a mass exodus at the same time of ppl who now wanted to go enjoy their snow day, and like 20+ cars in ditches, 15 rear-endings, and a few fence or gate strikes.
In 2003 when I was working security there, the way they’d see if Langley was safe to drive was send an idiot(me) in the fully coded-s10 rear wheel drive up and down it. Going sideways downhill at 15 mph is always a laugh riot.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Dingleberry posted:

When I was there they were (in)famous for closing the base (late)and sending everyone home, at the same time, 30 minutes after 3/4 of personnel had already arrived... leading to a mass exodus at the same time of ppl who now wanted to go enjoy their snow day, and like 20+ cars in ditches, 15 rear-endings, and a few fence or gate strikes.
In 2003 when I was working security there, the way they’d see if Langley was safe to drive was send an idiot(me) in the fully coded-s10 rear wheel drive up and down it. Going sideways downhill at 15 mph is always a laugh riot.

Haha they're still the same! Yesterday wasn't as bad with the 2-hour delay (they called it around 5 am right when morning shift was coming in). Today they didn't call it until 8, so everyone was already on base. 2 gates got closed almost immediately due to wrecks (the Langley hill proved too hard for some) and Saratoga was closed for almost an hour before they could open it. In the meantime, we had multiple sides and rear impacts in the parking lots and several cars spun out into ditches and fences and one enterprising Camero flipped over across a road. So far no injuries, just hilarity.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Super excited to wake up at 4 to try to find parking on NBSD dry side for my first Chief's Exam.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Still no order mod. If it doesn’t go through tomorrow I’ll be stuck here til at least Tuesday.

Hotel lost power at noon. Won’t be back on until 1am or so.

Would just go to sleep but it’s a wee bit early.

Tried to get back on base to use my computer and it’s stand still traffic getting back on. Unbelievable how does this base operate.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Still no order mod. If it doesn’t go through tomorrow I’ll be stuck here til at least Tuesday.

Hotel lost power at noon. Won’t be back on until 1am or so.

Would just go to sleep but it’s a wee bit early.

Tried to get back on base to use my computer and it’s stand still traffic getting back on. Unbelievable how does this base operate.

Poorly, it operates poorly. There are lots of big decks in port now so lots of traffic I hate it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

When the pennant was flying on an LPD or LSD at Little Creek, commute was great; when it was on a big deck at NOB, hated it. Just had to make sure you were on the road before the HOV lane became an actual HOV lane

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Double posting, good luck to all the active people taking Chief's exam today. Also gently caress you if you're still in.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Exam writers were even dumber this year. Nonsensical questions because they don't actually understand the material with even worse grammar on top.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Laranzu posted:

Exam writers were even dumber this year. Nonsensical questions because they don't actually understand the material with even worse grammar on top.

Yes, they are written by chiefs

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

When the pennant was flying on an LPD or LSD at Little Creek, commute was great; when it was on a big deck at NOB, hated it. Just had to make sure you were on the road before the HOV lane became an actual HOV lane

It was fun going as fast as possible in the HOV lane going towards NOB from VA beach, the turns are banked in order to keep the divided lanes in the middle of the non-HOV traffic. I think the best traffic I ever had getting to base was at 11PM the night before a deployment.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I for one got a pretty hardy lol at the something like a dozen Harpoon questions on the FCC exam that I took the day after finishing back-to-back Harpoon Maintenance and Harpoon Engagement Planner school.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I for one got a pretty hardy lol at the something like a dozen Harpoon questions on the FCC exam that I took the day after finishing back-to-back Harpoon Maintenance and Harpoon Engagement Planner school.

Too bad no M9 questions on your exam though

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hahaha

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
JFC lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man. Orders submitted on Tuesday for travel home but they got stuck in the void. Finally approved on Thursday but I got no travel arrangements and SATO sees nothing they can help me with. Local offices and ECRC closed until Tuesday.

This is all my fault for making business plans once I found out I was going home for two weeks.