Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I don't honestly remember what I thought several months ago and obviously it has changed as more details have emerged. I will say there was a time when I was willing to listen to the vernacular explanation (lovely American businessman speak, asking for a favor is just business). Now I'm really hoping to see some motion in these public surveys.

Nixon abused his powers domestically to screw with the election. Clinton lied under oath about an embarrassing private matter.

Trump has (apparently) conducted an ongoing, excessive program of disrupting the workings and image and standing of the country, directed actual extortion (which was successfully carried out) and continued to do so publicly despite stopgap measures repeatedly sounding alarms. He did these things for personal gain and power at the expense of the country. That's just based on what we know.

How can only 8% of Republicans support removal? Does it just take that long for the facts to leak in? Do they fail to understand that their president is aiding corruption in a foreign country by being corrupt at home? Does he have to literally order the murder of Democrat Representatives and Presidential candidates?

Capone was convicted of tax evasion. (Oh which apparently we have here too I forgot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I don't honestly remember what I thought several months ago and obviously it has changed as more details have emerged. I will say there was a time when I was willing to listen to the vernacular explanation (lovely American businessman speak, asking for a favor is just business). Now I'm really hoping to see some motion in these public surveys.

Nixon abused his powers domestically to screw with the election. Clinton lied under oath about an embarrassing private matter.

Trump has (apparently) conducted an ongoing, excessive program of disrupting the workings and image and standing of the country, directed actual extortion (which was successfully carried out) and continued to do so publicly despite stopgap measures repeatedly sounding alarms. He did these things for personal gain and power at the expense of the country. That's just based on what we know.

How can only 8% of Republicans support removal? Does it just take that long for the facts to leak in? Do they fail to understand that their president is aiding corruption in a foreign country by being corrupt at home? Does he have to literally order the murder of Democrat Representatives and Presidential candidates?

Capone was convicted of tax evasion. (Oh which apparently we have here too I forgot)

"My team über alles"

Also the bolder part would get them even more enthusiastic votes in the brain dead section of their base.

They're proto-fascists, OP

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Thanks for letting me vent at least. :eng99:

At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if the potus gave them the missiles to attack the air base in retaliation and coordinated with them for the air strike and response.

But I'm continually surprised by some of the elected and electorate.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. doesnt surprise me. collins is loving ghoul but she is smart enough to read the writing on the wall. trump will probably get acquitted but i feel like it might like 7 votes off instead of 20 or so.

I'd be shocked if the vote count goes over 50 in favor. Trump and Mitch will do everything they can to keep it under 51. Even though 51 votes vs 49 does not make any legal differences, I think any number 51 and up will be politically extremely damaging.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Thanks for letting me vent at least. :eng99:

At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if the potus gave them the missiles to attack the air base in retaliation and coordinated with them for the air strike and response.

But I'm continually surprised by some of the elected and electorate.

I don't know if it helps, but you're not really dealing with half the country of psychotic trump lovers. What you're dealing with is an enormous pile of uniformed people who are politically identified solely because they're politically identified. "I'm voting republican because my family has always been republican" -- that kind of thing. FOX has tapped into identity politics in such a way that's unprecedented and not currently being fought against, so Trump supporters largely support him because they view attacks on him as attacks on them (as by design by FOX).

The vast majority of people don't know anything about the president's crimes, nor do they particularly want to. Apathy isn't exactly a stellar personality trait, and it's ... not helpful to making a good or sustainable life for anyone in the world, but maybe it feels a little better than them being unrepentant cultists?

To be fair, there are some actual cultists, too. But that's a very small minority.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Ershalim posted:

I don't know if it helps, but you're not really dealing with half the country of psychotic trump lovers. What you're dealing with is an enormous pile of uniformed people who are politically identified solely because they're politically identified. "I'm voting republican because my family has always been republican" -- that kind of thing. FOX has tapped into identity politics in such a way that's unprecedented and not currently being fought against, so Trump supporters largely support him because they view attacks on him as attacks on them (as by design by FOX).

The vast majority of people don't know anything about the president's crimes, nor do they particularly want to. Apathy isn't exactly a stellar personality trait, and it's ... not helpful to making a good or sustainable life for anyone in the world, but maybe it feels a little better than them being unrepentant cultists?

To be fair, there are some actual cultists, too. But that's a very small minority.

Yeah only 60% of the population votes, less than half of those voted for Trump and probably only half of that number are the evil cult members. 15-20% of the country being completely unredeemable is kind of depressing but it's not as bad as it appears at first glance

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Something people probably have to start coming to grips with is most Republicans and right wing people aren't being exploited or taken advantage of in the way you think. They haven't been hacked in a sense that you can logic them out of their position and they can magically come to their senses. You cannot restore "sanity" to them because they haven't lost their minds, it's just that their worldview is drastically different than yours. They have a fundamentally different set of values.

Trump could probably literally order the murder of a Democrat Representative and Presidential candidate and Republicans would be fine with it. Trump is what they want and he is how they act when they think you're not looking or when they can get away with it, and they believe it is their fundamental right because you are beneath them.

actuallysanta
Dec 23, 2019

by Cyrano4747

eke out posted:

Just quoting this to note that it is literally right-wing propaganda

I heard it from Jimmy Dore. I thought he had a pretty left perspective but maybe he fell for it too.

Its mentioned in this bloomberg article.

"Shokin has denied any accusations of wrongdoing and declined to provide immediate comment for this article. In an interview with the Ukrainian website Strana.ua published on May 6, Shokin said he believes he was fired because of his Burisma investigation, which he said had been active at the time."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-07/timeline-in-ukraine-probe-casts-doubt-on-giuliani-s-biden-claim

actuallysanta fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 17, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So, they took oaths today correct? When does the trial start? Next week?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

actuallysanta posted:

I heard it from Jimmy Dore. I thought he had a pretty left perspective but maybe he fell for it too.

"Shokin has denied any accusations of wrongdoing and declined to provide immediate comment for this article. In an interview with the Ukrainian website Strana.ua published on May 6, Shokin said he believes he was fired because of his Burisma investigation, which he said had been active at the time."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-07/timeline-in-ukraine-probe-casts-doubt-on-giuliani-s-biden-claim

i see this is a new account and i don't really get your gimmick, but you need to stop posting disproven lies from known bad actors here

maybe check out wikipedia and read what has happened re: ukraine since that piece you quoted from May of 2019

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 17, 2020

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

actuallysanta posted:

Jimmy Dore is pretty left but he's also a reactionary who (i think) is still a 9/11 Truther.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Strange Poon posted:

Jimmy Dore is pretty left but he's also a reactionary who (i think) is still a 9/11 Truther.

seriously? i mean i knew dore was a mixed bag at best but i didnt know he was that nuts.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Also May 6 was well into their campaign to make the Biden story happen, so it's not surprising Shokin is trying to push that particular line.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seriously? i mean i knew dore was a mixed bag at best but i didnt know he was that nuts.

Perhaps relying on comedians as a primary news source is a bad idea.

actuallysanta
Dec 23, 2019

by Cyrano4747

eke out posted:

i see this is a new account and i don't really get your gimmick, but you need to stop posting disproven lies from known bad actors here

maybe check out wikipedia and read what has happened re: ukraine since that piece you quoted from May of 2019

There's no gimmick buddy, why don't you tell me about the article you are referencing that shows the opposite of this bloomberg one?

Im happy to learn. As someone newer here I'd rather be educated than just told to stop posting. Teach me.

Dore does tend to say a lot of stuff that I don't know is just "grr two sides are the same" anger or if he actually has facts to back them up. He is very "clinton is corrupt" too.

edit: ugh. I had no idea about the 9/11 stuff he said. That is loving disgusting. Totally turns me off from watching his podcast anymore.

actuallysanta fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 17, 2020

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

actuallysanta posted:

There's no gimmick buddy, why don't you tell me about the article you are referencing that shows the opposite of this bloomberg one?

Im happy to learn. As someone newer here I'd rather be educated than just told to stop posting. Teach me.

Dore does tend to say a lot of stuff that I don't know is just "grr two sides are the same" anger or if he actually has facts to back them up. He is very "clinton is corrupt" too.

Perhaps you could check out this article:

quote:

Shokin became prosecutor general in February 2015. Over the next year, the U.S. and the International Monetary Fund criticized officials for not doing enough to fight corruption in Ukraine.

Shokin took no action to pursue cases against Zlochevsky throughout 2015, said Kasko, who was Shokin’s deputy overseeing international cooperation and helping in asset-recovery investigations. Kasko said he had urged Shokin to pursue the investigations.

The U.S. stepped up its criticism in September 2015, when its ambassador to Ukraine, during a speech, accused officials working under Shokin of “subverting” the U.K. investigation.

Kasko resigned in February 2016, citing corruption and lawlessness in the prosecutor general’s office.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

actuallysanta posted:

As someone newer here I'd rather be educated than just told to stop posting. Teach me.

As someone who's account is older than one of their adult children, "lurk more" is an under utilized phrase in D&D the past few years.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

actuallysanta posted:

This references it here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-a9147001.html

quote:

The approach of Shokin’s office to the Burisma investigations fell into a well-practiced pattern of corruption, the anonymous prosecutor says. By the time of Biden’s intervention, there were no active investigations to speak of.

“If the idea was to get a result on the Burisma case, Shokin would have put his top people on it,” he says. “That didn’t happen. The aims were different.”

Investigations into Burisma, which only ever covered the period from before Hunter Biden’s involvement in the company, were finally settled in 2016. An audio recording purporting to be of Petro Poroshenko in conversation with another gas tycoon acting as a mediator, offered some clues as to the sequencing. In it, the two men talk about a “global solution” to Burisma’s problems: redirecting cashflows to Poroshenko’s companies.

Poroshenko’s spokespeople have described the recordings as fake, but not everyone is convinced.

“Neither Shokin nor Poroshenko wanted to investigate [Burisma owner Mykola​] Zlochevsky,” says Sakvarelidze. “They simply began a criminal case, arrested a few assets, and began negotiating with the corruptioneer for a bribe.”

As does this timeline from Just Security about the history of the Ukraine scandal.

https://www.justsecurity.org/66271/timeline-trump-giuliani-bidens-and-ukrainegate/

quote:

Sept. 24, 2015 – U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt excoriates officials in the Prosecutor General’s Office for stymying anti-corruption investigations, including those involving Burisma

Pyatt’s speech was part of a regular drumbeat by U.S. and other Western leaders, including Vice President Biden, and a swath of Ukrainian civil society seeking to pressure President Poroshenko to force his officials, especially in the Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO) to crack down more, not less, on corruption. “Corruption kills,” Pyatt said in the address to the Odesa Financial Forum for business leaders. “It kills productivity and smothers inspiration. Ideas are lost in its shadow. Innovation and entrepreneurship lag under the weight of bribery, back room dealing, and bullying.”

While giving Shokin a last chance to shape up (Pyatt says, “We want to work with Prosecutor General Shokin so the PGO is leading the fight against corruption.”), the ambassador criticizes “officials at the PGO’s office” for not providing documents that were needed for the British investigation of Burisma owner Zlochevskiy and effectively allowing Zlochevskiy to transfer $23 million of what Pyatt says were Ukrainian taxpayer assets to Cyprus. In other words, Pyatt is critical of the prosecutor’s office for not aiding in investigations of Burisma’s owner, which was in line with Biden’s criticism that the office was blocking corruption investigations. Pyatt specifically called for the investigation and removal of officials who were involved in the failure to help the British authorities investigate Zlochevskiy:

“We have learned that there have been times that the PGO not only did not support investigations into corruption, but rather undermined prosecutors working on legitimate corruption cases.

For example, in the case of former Ecology Minister Mykola Zlochevsky [cq], the U.K. authorities had seized 23 million dollars in illicit assets that belonged to the Ukrainian people. Officials at the PGO’s office were asked by the U.K to send documents supporting the seizure.

Instead they sent letters to Zlochevsky’s attorneys attesting that there was no case against him. As a result, the money was freed by the U.K. court and shortly thereafter the money was moved to Cyprus.

The misconduct by the PGO officials who wrote those letters should be investigated, and those responsible for subverting the case by authorizing those letters should – at a minimum – be summarily terminated.”

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

LeeMajors posted:

So, they took oaths today correct? When does the trial start? Next week?

Starts on Tuesday. And yes, everyone was sworn in today. All senators and the Chief Justice.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

oxsnard posted:

Yeah only 60% of the population votes, less than half of those voted for Trump and probably only half of that number are the evil cult members. 15-20% of the country being completely unredeemable is kind of depressing but it's not as bad as it appears at first glance

All of those who voted for Trump are evil cult members. He has a 90%+ approval rating from his own party. Also, the 40% who choose not to stand up against people like Trump are terrible too, so we are at well over half the country being unredeemable shits. It doesn’t matter if you are in California, New York, or Arkansas. Choosing not to bother with things that could hurt you and those around you makes you a bad person.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The timing of this could really not be better. We just had a week long reminder that Trump is at risk of getting us into a monumentally costly and pointless war for zero reason at a moment's notice.

TyrantWD posted:

All of those who voted for Trump are evil cult members. He has a 90%+ approval rating from his own party. Also, the 40% who choose not to stand up against people like Trump are terrible too, so we are at well over half the country being unredeemable shits. It doesn’t matter if you are in California, New York, or Arkansas. Choosing not to bother with things that could hurt you and those around you makes you a bad person.

It's not, wtf is this. The only person who has ever said it is over 90 is trump himself and he was citing a poll conducted at a conservative conference so it's less than worthless

That's without even getting into all the republicans who no longer identify as such because of Trump

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 17, 2020

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The timing of this could really not be better. We just had a week long reminder that Trump is at risk of getting us into a monumentally costly and pointless war for zero reason at a moment's notice.

It's not, wtf is this. The only person who has ever said it is over 90 is trump himself and he was citing a poll conducted at a conservative conference so it's less than worthless

That's without even getting into all the republicans who no longer identify as such because of Trump

He was at like 87% when he claimed that, and is still around the 87 mark. Overall Trump’s approval is around 44% - and that is with the shy-Tory effect, which was definitely a thing in his approval polling back in 2016 when he got 46% of the vote with a 38% approval rating.

Way more than half of the country are either cultists or enablers. If you are concerned about this presidency and where it is taking the country, you are in the minority.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TyrantWD posted:

He was at like 87% when he claimed that, and is still around the 87 mark. Overall Trump’s approval is around 44% - and that is with the shy-Tory effect, which was definitely a thing in his approval polling back in 2016 when he got 46% of the vote with a 38% approval rating.

Way more than half of the country are either cultists or enablers. If you are concerned about this presidency and where it is taking the country, you are in the minority.

Trump voters have never been close to a majority and he has only lost supporters since then, but thanks for admitting how comically wrong your previous post was I guess?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Trump voters have never been close to a majority and he has only lost supporters since then, but thanks for admitting how comically wrong your previous post was I guess?

this. he barely won against a lovely canidate. now he is underwater in most swing. i think he can still win obviously but i dont think a trump victory is some massive guarantee. its gonna be alot harder for him now, espcially since he is a know quanity. i dont think the majority of the country likes him. not out of some progressive vigor but i think alot of people dont like him because they think he is just loud dickhead who never shuts up and embarrasses everyone. sure the chuds love it but they arnt the majority.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:lol:

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1217970600595070976

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

I have a hard time believing Trump knows anyone that isn't Trump, his family or someone that's been on TV a lot. He probably doesn't even recognize his own personal chef, maids or anyone in the Trump org that isn't loving Matthew Calamari.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 17, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

46% (at best) is now ‘way more than half’. Good math.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Considering the US doesn't have a "one man, one vote" system, living in the right place is important for your vote to have more weight - doesn't really matter whether its actually a majority of voters when you can govern even with a minority of the votes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

go to USPOL if you want to argue about just how much approval trump has lol

this thread is for funny things, such as:

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1218183268706799616

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's unbelievable that Dershowitz is still in public life.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Really? It’s unbelievable that a smug rear end in a top hat is famous and on TV all the time?

Dershowitz is a tradition as American as apple pie or making servers live off of tips.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

mcmagic posted:

NY Times loves Dershowtiz, and will never let him fade. They had to cut back coverage on him after this absurd flood of stories in a single week.

I expect now that Epstein is dead and Dershowitz is on the Trump defense team, they'll being churning out stories on him again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

yronic heroism posted:

Really? It’s unbelievable that a smug rear end in a top hat is famous and on TV all the time?

Dershowitz is a tradition as American as apple pie or making servers live off of tips.

No that isn't the reason. He was directly implicated as a child rapist....

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

mcmagic posted:

which, turns out, is a tradition as American as apple pie or making servers live off of tips.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Which is also super common in public life, and it should be needless to say that’s a bad thing.

I guess now that I think about it public life is legit terrible.

(E; fb)

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

InsertPotPun posted:

which, turns out, is a tradition as American as apple pie or making servers live off of tips.

Meh, more like a RIGHT of passage

actuallysanta
Dec 23, 2019

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Are you talking about Dershowitz or Epstein now?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/1218200555010523137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

46% (at best) is now ‘way more than half’. Good math.

I'm also counting all the non-voters who saw the threat of Trump and an open supreme court seat and decided they were OK with that.

The cultists are a problem, but those who sit back and do nothing, are also a problem. It is not like we have a Kasich in office who in public says "aww shucks, why can't we all just get along", and then in private is a conservative ghoul. The threat Trump poses is plain to see, yet states that gave him the win - like Wisconsin, saw their lowest presidential turn out since 2000.