Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, I really don't get what the issue is here, and why they are all being so pissy about Beckwith-Chilton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I kinda like One Big Happy as OK jokes about a young crow druid.

Also is it just me or is New Nancy not telling jokes for the last 2 or so days? "Nancy is a horrible, selfish person." Hahahaha! Hahaha.. haaa.. ahhh. Huh.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I'm seein' double here! Four Gunthers!

Meanwhile the courts stay open no matter what the weather's like and court staff don't have the option to stay home unless they don't want to get paid

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 17, 1937)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, looks like Super-Fun-Pak Comic has stopped posting, which stinks because I actually liked it even though it was in repeats. Farewell Percival Dunwoody, The Ghost of James Caan, Quantum Weather Butterly, Doug, Dinkle the Unlovable loser, and all the other regular and irregular characters. You were enjoyed.

The Dinette Set stimulates the economy.

Working Daze is leaning hard on the ancient computer jokes.

Cul De Sac is a true inspiration for the children.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 17, 1937)

Throg was injured in a Valiant involved beating incident.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz Does "reefer" mean something different here? I've never seen it in this context before.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/27/53

They'll Do It Every Time 8/5/46

Mopsy 8/14/42

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (August 31-September 1, 1932)

Peanuts (January 17-18, 1973)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

And You Can Also Bite My rear end

9 "Not Having Any Of This, Either" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 15 and 17, 1936)

Out Our Way (December 28-30, 1933)

Toonerville Folks (July 7-8 and 10, 1916)

Dok's "We Lose More Beat Cops That Way" Duck (January 18, 1913)

Rube kind of fell off again due to circumstances well within my control.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The damnable ego-stroking of Les Moore continues unabated.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

So does every cartoonist in the world have some dark family history involving alcohol abuse or what

I'm shocked that this Mary Worth storyline actually turned out to be a thyroid issue and not "Oh, Iris, you're just puffy because of your RAGING ALCOHOLISM that was heretofore unaddressed"

Nah, we already had the alcoholism issue with Wilbur. Mostly I'm still annoyed that the entire drunk Wilbur subplot ended with Wilbur and Estelle get back together rather than Estelle rightfully dumping his sorry rear end.

It's interesting that from Willie's perspective, Prue attacked him because she got forced into doing it by the rear end in a top hat brothers. Unless the brothers tell him, he doesn't know that Prue really got into the thrill of killing others.

Christ, just say sex already. There's so much effort put into making everyone mentally middle schoolers about this that it's baffling.

gently caress off, you hypocritical boomer. You gave Dustin poo poo for complaining about working two weeks straight, so you don't get to say anything.

I'm not sure what annoys me more: Les with that ghoulish joke, Les' wife only showing interest with the possibility of an Oscar, or how the artist has drawn everyone smirking for so long that they can't draw someone smiling in a natural way anymore.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

Frazz Does "reefer" mean something different here? I've never seen it in this context before.

"Reefer" can also be slang for a refrigerated truck or train car.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Just leave this one to Sam Vimes, you arn't enough to fill his soggy cardboard boots.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
December 27th & 29th, 1980

:heysexy:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
For the few goons in this thread who don't read the Daily Cartoonist, I come to report that thread favourite Brother Rock has picked up a print deal:

http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2020/01/16/brother-rock-comic-strip-gets-into-print-paper/

In Nashville. And Guy Gilchrist has been fired. Anyone know if the new artist is any good?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Classic Cat

Zereth posted:

... Huh?

It's the painful wait when you're hungry at a yakitori/korean bbq/etc. restaurant but you have to wait for the meat to cook.

It is far worse than waiting at a restaurant normally because your brain is excited by the act of a server bringing you a plate of food, and because you have nothing to do except stare at the food that you can't yet eat for several minutes.

This one cut me deep.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why did Gilchrist and other guy split?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is steaming hot!

:rip:

New story tomorrow!

So during the confusion of Storm Troopers and admirals running around like headless chickens Luke has the opportunity to knock out a guy and take his armour?
I know a guy who cosplays as a Storm Trooper at conventions and movie premieres and have seen him put on the armour pieces over the body suit. That poo poo took probably 30 minutes and he was just sticking most of it on with velcro.
Also, Luke would have to have stripped down to his undies before starting or he'd look all lumpy.

And yes, I'm being a pedant but that's just because I really like the strip.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: KNIFE to meet you!, or Rasputin has an odd sense of humour, or That's the thing about Hong Kong, people are slinging knives here, there and everywhere!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
It has been many years since Sarah last showed up in Intelligent Life, so let's do a recap of the years she was part of the comic.

At first, Sarah was just a name passed from co-workers to Skip. Apparently she was a recent hire who had begun following Skip on social media.

And then Skip made a fool of himself when they were introduced.

Note that in 2015, Skip was pining after Gwen and frequently writing creepy poo poo in his journal, so the whole stalker accusation lacked self-awareness. This will get brought up later.

Despite the previous blunder, Sarah still had the hots for Skip.

This attraction was entirely one-sided, but Skip did take pity on her and take her out on exactly one date. She immediately decided to be way too forward and creepy.

There was no second date. But apparently they were still considered a couple? Or hung around casually some times?

Sarah then proceeded to stalk Skip and try to restrict who he could see without her permission. She's especially jealous of Gwen.

So it's all weird and controlling between them, so Skip tries to break it off. After that, nothing really happens for a while, and there's plenty of strips wherein nothing happens.

Meanwhile, Gwen has stated her intention of never dating a co-worker out of principle. Skip is bummed out, and for a second it seemed like was gonna go back to Sarah, but no.

Around this time, Intern Jeff was spying on the employees to report on them to bossman Finch, who would not actually appear in the comic until 2019.

However, Jeff felt too guilty doing it so he got fired and he confessed, but he was then immediately re-hired. Sarah stole his report.

Sarah then manages to also steal Skip's journal, to blackmail him into pretending to be her boyfriend in front of her dad (and maybe actually becoming a real couple.) It is unclear if the Finch Files helped enable her to do this.

In a turn of events, Sarah's military dad approves of Skip, thereby rendering her plotting moot. (???)

So Sarah confesses to dad that it was a ruse, and Skip gets out of the awkward situation without having to do anything.

Gwen got some security footage of Sarah stealing Skip's journal that he apparently brings to work in a backpack. This is apparently good enough blackmail material that Sarah was written out of the comic for over 3 years.

And now Sarah has apparently become an anger management therapist to her boss in Florida, and leveraged that to become COO of her old workplace.

That's it. That's the lore on the biggest villain the comic has ever had.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "We Lose More Beat Cops That Way" Duck (January 18, 1913)

:honk:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why not say that last bit out loud too?

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G
Sure, Tommie drank half a bottle of vodka in the time it took Sara to finish getting ready. Totally plausible.

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 8/14/42

https://twitter.com/LuannDeGroot/status/1217195177112145928

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hahah that’s a great follow:

https://twitter.com/luanndegroot/status/1195356955155546113?s=21

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The latest twist in Intelligent Life isn't doing anything to dissuade me from my "Black Mirror/Rick and Morty" style reading of the strip. Real humans are forced to act out Skips fantasy of him being in a sitcom but Skip doesn't realize that's what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jWdeRKvvk

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Today's (well, October 23, 1962's) Juliet Jones, in which Eve enters and immediately starts prying.

There's no real malice in her, but she is kinda nosy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

My grandfather did this to me all the time from like the age of 14 or something and eventually one of my aunts told me what he meant.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Resident Idiot posted:

For the few goons in this thread who don't read the Daily Cartoonist, I come to report that thread favourite Brother Rock has picked up a print deal:

Who could possibly want this? Oh, boomers. Right.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Who could possibly want this? Oh, boomers. Right.

Yet even Gilchrist is too toxic for boomers.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Really weird to see the art and writing give a poo poo in old IL strips.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Resident Idiot posted:

http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2020/01/16/brother-rock-comic-strip-gets-into-print-paper/

In Nashville. And Guy Gilchrist has been fired. Anyone know if the new artist is any good?

Why would you give me this terrible news?

Also I recently lost my mother-in-law to complications from her cancer treatment so Batiuk can just get tossed in a dumpster. Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Why are these children outside in the winter without pants?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

<:mad:>

:v:

Monty

:3:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Seeing Luann in this thread always reminds me of this good ol' onion gem:

Luann Creator Wrestling With How to Address Terrorist Crisis.

And this lovely bit of imagery (slightly NWS):

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lodin posted:

So during the confusion of Storm Troopers and admirals running around like headless chickens Luke has the opportunity to knock out a guy and take his armour?
I know a guy who cosplays as a Storm Trooper at conventions and movie premieres and have seen him put on the armour pieces over the body suit. That poo poo took probably 30 minutes and he was just sticking most of it on with velcro.
Also, Luke would have to have stripped down to his undies before starting or he'd look all lumpy.

And yes, I'm being a pedant but that's just because I really like the strip.

Yeah, but that's fake stormtrooper armor. Real, futuristic space stormtrooper armor is obviously much easier to take on and off because of space magic.

Star Wars finds dying in a horrible spaceship crash preferably to asphyxiation

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, I really don't get what the issue is here, and why they are all being so pissy about Beckwith-Chilton.

The other antiquarians likely still see Amy as an upstart. Probably on account of the victory dances in her younger days.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 17, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

A rare actual laugh out loud at work. I feel like every slightly overpushed pun and elevator gag has been building to this comic's confrontational eye contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick