Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Fallom posted:

I put a vent in the ceiling because my cabinets couldn’t handle a range hood

There Is Always A Way

We had that when I was a kid. It was fine because we had an electric stovetop that couldn't boil an egg.

In my first house I thought I had a really really crappy range hood. Turned out all the fan blades had been snapped off the hubs (HOW?!?!?) so when you turned it on it sounded like it was working but it didn't actually move any air...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I have a recirculating vent with no vent to the outside right now.

It’s on my list of poo poo for next summer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've not even known of the concept of a recirculating vent until a few years ago.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ntan1 posted:

Flooring removal in progress:

Worth every penny, from the looks of it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've not even known of the concept of a recirculating vent until a few years ago.

It is 1000% pointless and nonsensical, I guess they’re just designed as a con, to trick people into thinking they have a real vent. Or is there some use case where they’re not worse than nothing?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
We have nothing. Have to open a window and run the whole-house fan to sear a steak or else we get smoked out.

My parents seem way better off with their “fake” under-microwave fan recirculating through a filter.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

It is 1000% pointless and nonsensical, I guess they’re just designed as a con, to trick people into thinking they have a real vent. Or is there some use case where they’re not worse than nothing?

eddiewalker posted:

through a filter.

Better than nothing, I suppose.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
They reduce condensation above the stove top.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

wooger posted:

I remember reading something that justified them along the lines of clearing steam away while cooking.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Jaded Burnout posted:

Worth every penny, from the looks of it.

Besides being illegal to do it alone (legality questions are sort of in this grey area, since it's possible to get away with a lot of stuff), the main problems with doing this removal yourself are:

1) Waste location, since hazardous waste programs in the county only accept a maximum of 50lb of Asbestos and there are stringent regulations in otherwise dumping in an approved asbestos facility.
2) Needing to have the grinders or chemical to remove the mastic
3) Needing to have to fully suit up for the job, full mask + everything, since mechanical removal of Asbestos is really, really, bad for your health. Then, you have to throw away everything contaminated.

But the actual labor for this sort of demo isn't that bad. It's just really messy.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
I have a microwave above the stove with a vent that actually vents through the roof. This is good.

The damper on the microwave is clearly broken as there's a draft coming into the microwave and thus the kitchen.

Is the microwave damper sufficient to stop a draft or should there be a second damper in the duct itself further up the line, maybe in the attic space?

EDIT: I forgot to say that I plan to replace the damper on the microwave this weekend, I just need a helper to hold the microwave so I don't just drop it on the stove top after I unbolt it from the cabinet above. If I'm going to take that down, I might as well do the needful for the rest of the project if the microwave damper isn't usually sufficient.
I should add that the microwave is probably about 20 years old at this point, so I don't know if newer technology/manufacturing methods have made significant strides in making the single microwave damper sufficient.

SopWATh fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 17, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ntan1 posted:

Besides being illegal to do it alone (legality questions are sort of in this grey area, since it's possible to get away with a lot of stuff), the main problems with doing this removal yourself are:

1) Waste location, since hazardous waste programs in the county only accept a maximum of 50lb of Asbestos and there are stringent regulations in otherwise dumping in an approved asbestos facility.
2) Needing to have the grinders or chemical to remove the mastic
3) Needing to have to fully suit up for the job, full mask + everything, since mechanical removal of Asbestos is really, really, bad for your health. Then, you have to throw away everything contaminated.

But the actual labor for this sort of demo isn't that bad. It's just really messy.

Just don't be this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/dyvj3u/so_i_messed_up_bad_real_bad_one_more_warning_to/

quote:

Two weekends ago, me and my wife decided it was time to replace our falling apart laminate floors. The location of the laminate we were replacing was in the kitchen, dining room, family room, Living room, and main hallway. We thought it would be nice to have all the rooms including the kitchen and dining room all one floor.

So we ripped up all of the old click laminate. In the hallways and family room we found original 1970's vinyl underneath. Since we planned on laying the floating floors again we decided to leave it alone. We proceed to chipping up all of the tile in the kitchen making our way to the dining room. We got the tile up in the kitchen and were left with an absolute mess of thinset. So I googled the easiest way to get up thinset. I found a video on youtube showing how to use a grinder with a shopvac attachment and diamond grinding wheel. I went to town and it worked a treat and I was super proud how well it came out.

Heres where my story goes south, 2 days later my dad came over to check the progress we made. I was showing him the kitchen explaining the process I used to quickly take the thinset off. My father proceeded to look at the floor and asked what was the material on it. I said its concrete (it appeared to be anyways), he said no it's not. He proceeded to grab a utility knife and cut a small square of material off the floor where I had ground down the thinset. It was a paper like material that was brittle. He said it looked to be the paper backing that came with old vinyl sheet flooring. He looked over at the family room, saw the old sheet flooring and told my that I needed to get out of the house and get the materials tested. So I packed up the wife and kids and headed to my parents house for the weekend.

Yesterday the testing company came out and took samples from all over the house. Today we received the results. Both the vinyl in the family room etc and the paper that was below the thinset tested positive for asbestos. The paper-stuff below the thinset tested positive for 15% white crystalline asbestos.

The story gets worse. I test ground a spot on Wednesday night and did a little bit more on Thursday Night. We live in South FL. We ran the AC overnight both nights. I then continued to finish the Job on Friday (the AC was off all day Friday.)

Because I pulverized the asbestos into a fine powder (literally the absolute worst thing you can do), and even though I was running the shopvac pulling up the material as I went it didn't have heppa filter and just had a regular collection bag so therefore, the asbestos, through the help of my AC has contaminated my entire home.

I exposed my family to a toxic cancer causing element and effectively ruined my home because I didn't know what I was doing. Something so innocent as just wanting to lay floors has turned into an absolute nightmare. I consider myself lucky because if it wasn't for my father, we would have continued to lay the floor and just cleaned up and never had a second thought about it and just lived in it.

The one thing I don't understand is why isn't there more awareness about this stuff? Like seriously there should be freaking commercials, warnings at home depot, pamphlets or something. Hell, the guy at the freaking flooring store could have said, hey make sure to check whats underneath your old floors before you begin.

I asked the asbestos tester, that based on her experience, was it common for home owners to do exactly what I did and never know about it - she said probably about 90% of people who do DIY do not test and do not know that they have contaminated their home. She told me that some contractors are even worse because they do so many homes. They are often working with unskilled labor that don't know or don't care and just rip it up, contaminate the area, and leave.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text but I literally feel sick about what happened. We have no access to anything in the home. We will likely have to trash clothes, sheets, basically any fabrics in the home. We are in the position where we can afford to fix this problem but honestly its clearing us out. Let my mistake be a lesson. Be Safe.

**TLDR: IF YOU ARE IN A HOME BUILT PRIOR TO 1980 PLEASE MAKE SURE TO TAKE PROPER PRECAUTIONS AND GET THE MATERIALS YOU ARE WORKING WITH TESTED BEFORE PROCEEDING TO DEMO ANYTHING.**

Some have requested photos of the material. You can see it here https://imgur.com/a/Mz7UBhX

He did post an update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/egfguc/asbestos_contamination_update_my_consequences_of/

$28,800 to remediate it and had to throw out anything made with fabric

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 17, 2020

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

just another posted:

Ignorance is bliss mesothelioma, as they say.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Sirotan posted:

$28,800 to remediate it and had to throw out anything made with fabric

You know, my licensed, officially certified, asbestos abatement is under 1/4 of that price.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

ntan1 posted:

You know, my licensed, officially certified, asbestos abatement is under 1/4 of that price.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
drat at that asbestos post.

And of course insurance didn't cover it, cause why would they? It was his dumbass mistake.

poo poo like that is why, as much as I hated it at the time, I'm kind of glad now I did a summer of asbestos work (air and material testing.) Before that summer, I, like a lot of people, had no idea it had the potential to be in things like flooring, siding, glues/mastics, etc... I basically only though it was on forms of insulation.

I've got at least a couple potential places I could have it (kitchen floor and bathroom floor/mastic under the floors) so you best believe they're getting tested before I remove them.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 17, 2020

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat at that asbestos post.

And of course insurance didn't cover it, cause why would they? It was his dumbass mistake.

poo poo like that is why, as much as I hated it at the time, I'm kind of glad now I did a summer of asbestos work (air and material testing.) Before that summer, I, like a lot of people, had no idea it had the potential to be in things like flooring, siding, glues/mastics, etc... I basically only though it was on forms of insulation.

I've got at least a couple potential places I could have it (kitchen floor and bathroom floor/mastic under the floors) so you best believe they're getting tested before I remove them.

How hard is it to test for asbestos? I had mold remediation after a flood a while ago, and they messed with my basement flooring in the process. It was a well-respected company and they tented and sealed the house and removed/cleaned every single object, and they gutted and cleaned the entire hvac system, but I've always wondered if there was any asbestos that might have left residual traces.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Easy - buy a home testing kit at home depot or on amazon, pay 75$ to send to a lab.

That being said, I never actually did an asbestos test, because I asked all of my neighbors with exactly same looking houses and they specifically said that asbestos is under the flooring and in the HVAC ducting.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TofuDiva posted:

How hard is it to test for asbestos? I had mold remediation after a flood a while ago, and they messed with my basement flooring in the process. It was a well-respected company and they tented and sealed the house and removed/cleaned every single object, and they gutted and cleaned the entire hvac system, but I've always wondered if there was any asbestos that might have left residual traces.

I read that horror story the other day and pledged to buy this kit before I rip out a wall in my kitchen, even though I'm pretty sure there's no asbestos in it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FJ987Y/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_PrJiEbCXPR4HY

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My house was built in 2004 and seems to be of quality construction (according to our home inspector). Asbestos got phased out of p much everything well before then right?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That Works posted:

My house was built in 2004 and seems to be of quality construction (according to our home inspector). Asbestos got phased out of p much everything well before then right?

Yes.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Didn't 45 bring back asbestos manufacturing somewhere, or am I thinking of something else equally bad? Make Asbestos Great Again

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

falz posted:

Didn't 45 bring back asbestos manufacturing somewhere, or am I thinking of something else equally bad? Make Asbestos Great Again

He's talked about how Abestos would have stopped the towers coming down.

Asbestos policy was in the news relatively recently since it's only in the last couple of years that Canada stopped exporting it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You can get an a testing kit on Amazon for like $30 and that includes the lab fee. I've sent a couple of suspicious looking materials to them and it hasn't come back as asbestos yet! They not only tell you if it is or isn't asbestos, but what it actually is, which is kind of helpful. I've found some suspicious sub flooring underneath the linoleum in my kitchen and I'm going to get it tested before I touch it.

E: can jet fuel melt asbestos beams?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

He's talked about how Abestos would have stopped the towers coming down.

Asbestos policy was in the news relatively recently since it's only in the last couple of years that Canada stopped exporting it.

This is the thing I was thinking of.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/is-epa-allowing-asbestos-products/

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
And the work is done, leaving slab:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm into that periwinkle bathroom

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

does anyone have any opinions about flush mount LED ceiling lights?

We have some old ones that I'm not crazy about that I'm thinking of replacing with a set of these

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

~Coxy posted:

We had that when I was a kid. It was fine because we had an electric stovetop that couldn't boil an egg.

Mine is fine over my regular stovetop because it’s a powerful fan venting to the outside :shrug:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

does anyone have any opinions about flush mount LED ceiling lights?

We have some old ones that I'm not crazy about that I'm thinking of replacing with a set of these

Yeah, I'm curious about stuff like this too. What are the best boob light replacement fixtures that give pleasant lighting? We're tending towards track lights in a few places which let you direct your lighting and turn 1 source into several, but the fixtures themselves can be so ugly...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not sure what the question is. They’re flush mount lights with integrated LEDs you can’t change. That’s it.

I’ve installed a couple of the mid-range ones that Home Depot sells in-store and will buy a couple more to replace the rest of the house. I like the cleaner look. They seem reliable but I’ve only had them in for six months.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 18, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We replaced our hall lights and basement lighting with those flush mount leds, really happy with the lighting quality. Picked them up at Costco for like $25. Takes maybe 10 min to install.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Fallom posted:

Not sure what the question is. They’re flush mount lights with integrated LEDs you can’t change. That’s it.

Can you post a picture of what you’re taking about?

In what way are they better than recessed can lights? Other than not having to recess them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I used them to replace some big boob light fixtures in places where a can light wouldn’t be appropriate or even possible (no space or attic access).

They look like this: https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/080629/080629704701.jpg

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 18, 2020

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I know LEDs are supposed to outlive style trends, but I hate the idea of replacing entire fixtures because their “bulbs” burned out.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

eddiewalker posted:

I know LEDs are supposed to outlive style trends, but I hate the idea of replacing entire fixtures because their “bulbs” burned out.

Yah this really bothers me about hallway lights in particular, I've got a lot of boob lights that need to be replaced, what happens if I replace them with a fix LED style fixture and one fails prematurely after only a year and its been discontinued? I have one mismatched fixture for 10 years or I have to spend hundreds replacing all of them again and hope against a repeat? Sure LED lights SHOULD last for a very long time but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a few fail prematurely. I feel like the only option may be to buy a few spares to keep in a closet somewhere just in case. The whole thing just feels like a bad idea.

Unfortunately when I look at flush mount options it often seems like the choices that use traditional bulbs are mostly just different themes on boob lights, with or without the nipple, and all the nicer contemporary fixtures are either integrated LEDs or incandescent style fixtures that don't look right with LED bulbs and screw using 120w for a single hallway light in 2020. Makes it very tempting to just do recessed lighting everywhere.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Elem7 posted:

incandescent style fixtures that don't look right with LED bulbs

You might be surprised.

Even Home Depot has a ton of nice looking LED replacement bulbs for things like G25 globes or B11s. They even have a faux filament design to look more like incandescents.

The key, as always is to make sure you're mindful of color temps (use 2700K).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We did a thing today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

toplitzin posted:

We did a thing today.

What's your plan for the baseboards?