Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Starmer is (coded as) white, posh and most importantly masculine. That's what they mean by leadership and electability.

Corbyn is white and depending on whether your ripping into him for being a millionaire or a schlub he's posh. He comes across very soft spoken so feminine ofc which killed his chances.

Clive Lewis is not white or posh.
Guess why the ladies aren't electable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Order of things they care about for what is electable -

Rich
Posh
White
Male

That's the hierarchy.
If you're the three below, you can get away without being personally rich, but you need to make sure nobody actually rich might notice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sloth Life posted:

Guess why the ladies aren't electable...
This is the point where half the British press starts going on about the trans agenda.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So, having done a fair bit of door-knocking myself, the number of voters who can name a member of the shad cab is a tiny fraction. The number that could name one that isn't McDonnell or Abbott is a vanishing fraction of that. The idea that there exists out there a statistically significant portion of the electorate that a) know who Starmer is and b) like him well enough that him being in charge would flip their vote stretches credulity past breaking point.
If we're going with the 'the public is misinformed' angle, then electability to a lot of people comes down to a nebulous first-impressions based 'presentability' melange. The kind of thing that makes voters who know zero policy say that David Milliband looks more 'prime ministerial' than Ed.

I think what people are talking about with Starmer is that if you showed an uninformed voter a photo of him, RLB and Jessflips, they'd say Starmer by a country mile.

RLB is trying to connect with informed voters (who tend to be the ones who vote in things like party leadership elections), Phillips is trying to do the publicity circuit and get her name out there associated with her ey-oop shtick, but I think a lot of Starmer's appeal is coming from Guardian readers glancing at a photo of him and thinking he seems nice (because they don't want to risk actually reading anything about Labour incase they catch antisemitism).

Some of the centrists and FBPEs will know his name because of his association with remain, but red wall voters (who are angry about labour issues but generally don't pay attention to politics) won't know who he is, just that he looks ministerial.

I think a ton of it comes down to looks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If we're just going by looks then Lisa Nandy looks more ministerial than Starmer, who looks like he's being permanently haunted by a low effort apparition that's not getting overtime.

But unfortunately she's Lisa Nandy, which shows the limitations of that method.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Borrovan posted:

Because of the division and infighting, and handing the press a stick to beat Momentum with (notice how they've pretty much ignored whatever the Government does since the GE, because omg there's leftist infighting going on).

Well, now they can beat us with "Momentum is undemocratic STALIN STALIN STALIN." I don't think the "don't give them ammunition" argument really holds because the press have proven perfectly capable of fabricating their own, out thin loving air if need be.

I don't know what the actual solution to these people is but it's going to be drastic.

Borrovan posted:

It's not a coronation, because all Momentum can do is politely ask its members to vote for their candidate - cf the actual election, which gives actual power, which is where the legitimacy comes from. That being so, I just don't see the advantage.

I meant, coronation as a candidate, for clarity. There's legitimacy as leader, legitimacy as the candidate of the left, legitimacy as Corbyn's anointed successor... lots of little legitimacies that all play off of and feed into one another. And these things aren't binaries, either, they're gradients.

The thing I find fascinating about politics, and social structures in general, is the... supervitreous nature of it all. The whole thing is constructed entirely out of thought and convention, things that seem like they should be as substantial as cobwebs, but can often appear, and often actually prove to be, impossibly durable- until something happens that upends it all, and suddenly not only is the reality of everything put into question, but also all the measures by which that reality should be judged are uncertain. And even when the system is static and stable, there's no hard boundary between it and its periphery; it all exists in the realm of human psychology and human networks, and so everything is permeable and inter-penetrating.

I think this is probably why I don't hate the ronyaposting as much as the rest of the thread seems to: he's always approaching politics as inescapably contingent, existing as the product of specific processes occurring in specific moments.

My concern is that the more compromised RLB's candidacy appears, the more excuses people have not to fall in behind her, and the polling is telling us this selection is a coinflip.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Seperate issue - who do I contact about getting on the star wars episode of the podcast? So far I've not really pursued it because I haven't really felt knowledgeable enough to contribute, but this is very much in my wheelhouse and frankly if I don't do it for this episode I will probably never muster the will.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

You're talking about electoral appeal as if pure electoralism is a useful or even viable approach for Labour as things stand. The fundamental problem we saw is a loss of faith that parties and governments can help people, coupled with the press making it clear that their goals are nakedly partisan. 'Which candidate looks electable' is the wrong question. The main objective should be to help people outside government and convince them that elections can be useful in the first place.

You don’t need to believe in pure electoralism to understand that if you are going to include that in the list of things you are doing, it will work better if you do it well.

A Johnson administration unrestrained by electoral pressure would be quite capable of destroying tenfold anything built by community-level activism..
’community center and ballot box’ needs the second half just as much as the armalite did.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The big problem I see with Starmer being leader and allowing the right back in is that the ex-industrial places that flipped Tory hate Blair just as much as they hated coalition austerity.

Unless you can say that New Labour (for whatever good it did) failed these communities you're going to have a major struggle getting them back. Jeremy Gilbert sums it up by saying "we have to criticise the last 40 years, not just the last 10".

Really what Labour needs to do is work out who it's electoral coalition actually is - it's all well and good for Nandy and co to talk about getting back towns but you need to have a country wide plan to get inside both educated urban multiethnic young people and older people in ex-industrial towns. Noone really knows what that is yet, though it seemed to sort of work in 2017 - is it possible to rebuild that coalition now Brexit is out of the way? Who knows.

Note that the Tories are also having to work out the same thing - continuing to hold together an electoral coalition that includes both rural Surrey and Bligh is going to be a challenge to say the least.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/dwmoook/status/1218065788143316992

Izzat... Nobby, Carrot and Vimes?

I can't place any of the others but I'm kind of impressed I can recognise those three through the cyberpunk haze.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

First impression: Wow that looks amazing. Can't wait to see whatever that is.

It's Discworld!?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I can't place any of the others but I'm kind of impressed I can recognise those three through the cyberpunk haze.

Didn't the watch have a dwarf girl?

Katt fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 17, 2020

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

and the lady in green is Sybil

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/lindyli/status/1217887433552953346?s=20

Bernie is getting the full Corbyn.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

oxford_town posted:

i know you're all going to call me a centrist melt for this...

This is a good post and I agree with a lot of it. I'm sympathetic to the people responding negatively because I know it comes from Good and Correct places, but many of the arguments seem to boil to "Labour should keep doing the same things because anything else is bad," which doesn't seem useful right now.

And, as I said before RLB just hasn't been impressive so far. Contrast that to Corbyn in 2015, who was the impressive candidate, staking out a clear anti austerity agenda that no one else dared match. He put forwards an arguement what should be done differently and why he as leader would achieve that, and I'm just not seeing anything remotely similar so far from RLB's camp. We lost the election badly and everyone knows it, so running on continuity and hoping that the electorate/media/culture changes to accommodate seems politically inept.

That doesn't mean lurching to the right on economics or social policy (although yes, some people will definitely argue for that) , but it does mean giving serious thought what we could do differently and better. If you can't demonstrate that, it's going to be extremely hard to get a clear message out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

Bernie is getting the full Corbyn.
They've already tried calling him an antisemite. :ughh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://twitter.com/nerdythor/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Niric posted:

That doesn't mean lurching to the right on economics or social policy (although yes, some people will definitely argue for that) , but it does mean giving serious thought what we could do differently and better. If you can't demonstrate that, it's going to be extremely hard to get a clear message out
Everyone really needs to calm the gently caress down, to be perfectly honest. The next election will be radically different to the one that just happened because brexit will (probably lol) have been and gone by then. There is very little value right now, with the next election probably half a decade away, in running around changing policies just so that we can be seen changing policies. Corbyn was great because he challenged austerity, yes, but that only looked radical because the political consensus was so poo poo at the time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Niric posted:

This is a good post and I agree with a lot of it. I'm sympathetic to the people responding negatively because I know it comes from Good and Correct places, but many of the arguments seem to boil to "Labour should keep doing the same things because anything else is bad," which doesn't seem useful right now.

This is a real issue, because right now doing the right thing and being able to win elections are 2 very different things, and you can't really do anything until you've nailed the winning elections part. Obviously there's 2 ways go about it, move the electorate to meet your policies or move your policies to meet your electorate.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Katt posted:

It's Discworld!?

Discworld dwarf ladies have beards.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Seperate issue - who do I contact about getting on the star wars episode of the podcast? So far I've not really pursued it because I haven't really felt knowledgeable enough to contribute, but this is very much in my wheelhouse and frankly if I don't do it for this episode I will probably never muster the will.

Welcome aboard comrade! Hop on the discord and ask for permission to the podcast channel. Link to the discord should be in the op. I don't know if they've already got a time set up to record the star wars episode or not but I'll ask them to hold for you if possible when I get home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Niric posted:

And, as I said before RLB just hasn't been impressive so far. Contrast that to Corbyn in 2015, who was the impressive candidate, staking out a clear anti austerity agenda that no one else dared match. He put forwards an arguement what should be done differently and why he as leader would achieve that, and I'm just not seeing anything remotely similar so far from RLB's camp. We lost the election badly and everyone knows it, so running on continuity and hoping that the electorate/media/culture changes to accommodate seems politically inept.

Unless you're planning to vote for the more racism candidate I'm not sure what else you're suggesting. Starmer isn't putting forward anything better. You can't really go more left than corbyn without getting into open revolution territory and everyone, tories included, has nicked his economic platform at least rhetorically, so what are you expecting?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Miftan posted:

Welcome aboard comrade! Hop on the discord and ask for permission to the podcast channel. Link to the discord should be in the op. I don't know if they've already got a time set up to record the star wars episode or not but I'll ask them to hold for you if possible when I get home.
We recorded that on sunday unfortunately.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Miftan posted:

She looks sort of like a gnome. I like whatever she's going for.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2020/jan/17/discworld-fans-are-right-to-be-nervous-about-the-bbcs-punk-rock-the-watch

Reinterpretations can be really interesting (like the recent Watchmen TV show, which was improbably fantastic), but this looks... just kinda cheap and naff and ill thought through.

The lighting probably has a lot to do with it looking cheap, but the contemporary H&M-advert costuming and haircuts seem like they're going to date this almost immediately (like that recent and lovely Robin Hood film).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Katt posted:

Cheery, but she's a later addition.

Apparently that's actually supposed to be Angua. :thunk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Apparently that's actually supposed to be Angua. :thunk:

Angua whose most obvious physical feature is gigantic hair?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Discworld dwarf ladies have beards, and don't wear makeup, and dress identically to men.

Unless they don't want to.

I don't think the dwarf gender expression movement ever went as far as shaving in the books, because that'd be a taboo too far for them at the time.

e: ^^ Second most if the moon's out.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm wierd causeI kinda like it, with the caveat that any wizards that show up should look 100% fantasy wizard from a fantasy ren fair for contrast this aestetic

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Katt posted:

It's Discworld!?

That is not how I ever imagined the watch when reading the books. It does not look colourful enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't mind it but I think the lady would make a much better nobby than angua.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wait there's a Star Wars episode? That's much more my scene.

Niric posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2020/jan/17/discworld-fans-are-right-to-be-nervous-about-the-bbcs-punk-rock-the-watch

Reinterpretations can be really interesting (like the recent Watchmen TV show, which was improbably fantastic), but this looks... just kinda cheap and naff and ill thought through.

The lighting probably has a lot to do with it looking cheap, but the contemporary H&M-advert costuming and haircuts seem like they're going to date this almost immediately (like that recent and lovely Robin Hood film).

I am very much in two minds just from the visuals. It has a lot of pluses, and it has a lot of negatives. There's a lot of aesthetic choices I like, and there's a lot of very on-point casting, but there's also loving desk fans, and the set for the watch looks like it's recycled from Brooklyn 99.

The big thing I hope they cleave to is the tone of the originals. If this looks like it looks I'll be fine with it if it has noir narration. it could look bang on like the cover of Night Watch and I would dislike it if it didn't.

Also does Angua not loving wash?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extremely fastidiously IIRC.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

absolutely insane that a field guide responsible for the safety of antarctic expeditions, for which a required prerequisite is 'being a loving extremely experience mountaineer', gets paid only 24k a year while some dumbass marketing manager is on 3x that

I might be wrong (on phone so can't check) but I think if you're out in Antarctica you get board and lodging 'found' on top of that. Though I think it's better to get a proper salary and a deduction for b&l mainly because future employers are obsessed with previous salaries as some kind of indicator of worth and in many cases will base salary offers on your previous salary instead of what the job is actually worth in salary terms.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Niric posted:

The crossbow on the guard on the right has a picatinny rail.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

VideoGames posted:

That is not how I ever imagined the watch when reading the books. It does not look colourful enough.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pilchenstein posted:

Everyone really needs to calm the gently caress down, to be perfectly honest. The next election will be radically different to the one that just happened because brexit will (probably lol) have been and gone by then. There is very little value right now, with the next election probably half a decade away, in running around changing policies just so that we can be seen changing policies. Corbyn was great because he challenged austerity, yes, but that only looked radical because the political consensus was so poo poo at the time.

There is also the distinct possibility that the Tories bung a load of money to the left behind areas and keep them while hanging onto the comfortable shire voters in which case there is not a huge amount the opposition can do electorally

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, look how bright that is :D perfect against the murk of ankh-morpok.

I hope the show is good and that my first impression is off!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Angua whose most obvious physical feature is gigantic hair?

Also tall, athletic, etc. :shrug: This is almost upside-down casting, which makes me think someone's trying to be clever. That or they cast it with darts.

Well, I'm willing to see where they're going with it. The Watch books of all the Discworld books could transplant easily and this grubby noir/punk mess would work about as well as anything.

Stormgale posted:

I'm wierd causeI kinda like it, with the caveat that any wizards that show up should look 100% fantasy wizard from a fantasy ren fair for contrast this aestetic

:yeah:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

There's a lot of aesthetic choices I like, and there's a lot of very on-point casting, but there's also loving desk fans
So long as you occasionally see an imp sat on the edge of the motor hatch smoking a rollup I'm fine with that.

Regarde Aduck posted:

The crossbow on the guard on the right has a picatinny rail.
I'm willing to believe that Burleigh & Stronginthearm, makers of the "Great Leveller" Cart-Mounted Ten-Bank 500-Pound Crossbow, are not above tacticool bullshit, even if it's candle powered.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

We recorded that on sunday unfortunately.
Ah balls. Well I'll join the discord anyway, and then hopefully work up the brass if another relevant subject comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait there's a Star Wars episode? That's much more my scene.

I am very much in two minds just from the visuals. It has a lot of pluses, and it has a lot of negatives. There's a lot of aesthetic choices I like, and there's a lot of very on-point casting, but there's also loving desk fans, and the set for the watch looks like it's recycled from Brooklyn 99.

The big thing I hope they cleave to is the tone of the originals. If this looks like it looks I'll be fine with it if it has noir narration. it could look bang on like the cover of Night Watch and I would dislike it if it didn't.

Also does Angua not loving wash?!

A bugbear is sloppy/lazy costuming/production design where everyone's hair, makeup and eyebrows are immaculate and sharply-defined, but they've got some muck on them to signify poverty/grittiness/the-olden-days.

Also, maybe it's just me but this looks a lot like Doctor Who in terms of the aesthetic. Which I know some people love, but is making me very, very wary