Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I don't remember what the gently caress my point was. Chemo-brain and tiredness aren't a great combination.

Hope you're doing OK man, hang in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Hope you're doing OK man, hang in there.
As well as one could hope, as there's still no evidence of disease. :)

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 14, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's not a battery-backed unit, is it? Or do you have an UPS?
The primary issue with a lack of raw device access for ZFS is that ZFS can no longer control when caches are flushed, so there is a risk that a write that ZFS thinks it's flushed to disk hasn't been written to disk yet - but the worst that can happen in that case, of course, that ZFS will have to automatically rewind itself to the last completed transaction group (something it can do nowadays, if I recall correctly), or that you have to do it manually if it fails or you're running an older version).
That, and you're SOL once there are no more devices that can read the RAID0-per-device meta-data that the PERC leaves on the disk - but that probably won't be for a little while, at least.

Basically, it's not something you'll notice until you get out into the weeds.

I've been running setups like this for a couple years now without detriment, so I'm not terribly worried.

The array is also rsynced to an external USB 3.0 drive.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What level of Linux Fu is the minimum to safely admin zfs?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Smashing Link posted:

Can you google? Most of the ZFS command line stuff isnt bad, and FreeNAS makes it pretty easy to admin almost entirely from the GUI.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, if you're even remotely comfortable with commandline operation there's nothing scary about zfs. The only real gotcha I can think of that is different than other similar RAID systems, and from ZFS on other platforms, is that in ZoL you should only ever refer to drives using a unique ID and not /dev/sdX, because /dev/sdX mapping is not consistent. I use /dev/disk/by-id/ labels myself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Even better, if you can read a man-page (ie. treat it as a reference work that shows you what your options are, and let you put two and two together to at least arrive at an integer), you can use ZFS.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, if you're even remotely comfortable with commandline operation there's nothing scary about zfs. The only real gotcha I can think of that is different than other similar RAID systems, and from ZFS on other platforms, is that in ZoL you should only ever refer to drives using a unique ID and not /dev/sdX, because /dev/sdX mapping is not consistent. I use /dev/disk/by-id/ labels myself.
The ironic part being that the kernel uses internal state to keep track of the x86 BIOS-like disks so mdadm doesn't have trouble, whereas Linux will shuffle them around when exposed to userspace as device nodes or 3rd-party kernel modules because of the possible existence of floppies.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 14, 2020

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think I need a test box. Too afraid to give up unraid and Synology.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Smashing Link posted:

I don't know about ZoL, but I'm an absolute dullard and have been able to run FreeNAS for five years now without any (ZFS) issues

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Smashing Link posted:

I think I need a test box. Too afraid to give up unraid and Synology.

One of the cooler features of ZFS is that you can just gently caress around with storage pools backed by regular files on disk, so getting the hang of using it on the command line doesn't even require a bunch of drives to play with and you can, say, test scripts on throwaway pools.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Smashing Link posted:

... Too afraid to give up unraid...

You may not have to. In the recent feature poll there were plenty of ZFS support requests.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

You may not have to. In the recent feature poll there were plenty of ZFS support requests.

Cool. I will continue my baby steps into Linux and see what happens!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Smashing Link posted:

Cool. I will continue my baby steps into Linux and see what happens!

If you're experimenting, I would try in a VM first using Munkeymon's suggested method:

Munkeymon posted:

One of the cooler features of ZFS is that you can just gently caress around with storage pools backed by regular files on disk, so getting the hang of using it on the command line doesn't even require a bunch of drives to play with and you can, say, test scripts on throwaway pools.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I am driving myself nuts over here, and could use a little help!

I shucked all my external WD 8tb hard drives (all 12!! of them) and put them in these two things:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GYDMYG/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26VV4/

MediaSonic were pretty much the only brand that didn't have terrible reviews, so I went with those.

My issue is that I can't find an eSATA card that works with it. Supposedly there's a Marvell chipset that I was supposed to look for, which I did, but I am now on my 2nd eSATA card that will not detect either of the enclosures.

Apparently what I need to look for is a "port multiplier" feature of the eSATA card. I bought two of them, and neither saw any of the drives.

MediaSonic themselves actually makes an eSATA card specifically for my situation , which you can see here: https://www.newegg.com/mediasonic-hp1-ss3-sata-iii/p/N82E16816322010

However, the card doesn't work with any version of Windows 10 after update 1809. And the company has never corrected this issue.

So not only do I need a non-RAID eSATA card that does port multiplying, but it must do it on both eSATA ports at the same time. According to the research I've been doing for the past 86 goddamn hours, there's no card worth a drat that has this feature. I have no clue why the two cards I tried did not detect these drives.

For what it's worth, they work fine over USB3. However, I'd prefer eSATA as it's a little faster, plus these enclosures use some weird proprietary USB cable and they're short as hell. I bought two 6 foot eSATA cables, and I'd like to use them, dammit. Plus I paid a little extra for an enclosure with eSATA.

Should I just give up and use USB? Does S.M.A.R.T. data pass over USB but not eSATA? One of the eSATA cards that was recommended for these enclosures stated that it will not read S.M.A.R.T. data. How the hell am I supposed to figure out all this stuff before buying it? I just want an eSATA card that will support two of these enclosures at full speed while passing S.M.A.R.T data to my operating system. Does this not exist? I've spent more time researching this than when I bought my last car!

frh fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 15, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I am driving myself nuts over here, and could use a little help!

I shucked all my external WD 8tb hard drives (all 12!! of them) and put them in these two things:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GYDMYG/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26VV4/

MediaSonic were pretty much the only brand that didn't have terrible reviews, so I went with those.

My issue is that I can't find an eSATA card that works with it. Supposedly there's a Marvell chipset that I was supposed to look for, which I did, but I am now on my 2nd eSATA card that will not detect either of the enclosures.

(a) try a shorter cable, like 12 inches. Make sure it connects at all. Try USB if it doesn't connect over eSATA.

(b) buy a LSI card like a 9207-8e or something off ebay. -xi means X internal ports and -xe means X external ports, so -8e is an 8 port external card. LSI should just work. Make sure it's an "IT mode" or "JBOD mode" controller, you can flash many raid cards to JBOD mode.

(c) if that doesn't work, return LSI card and buy a different enclosure, assuming you need esata to work.

SMART will absolutely run over either USB or e/SATA though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 15, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not necessarily. I have a cheap Rosewill USB HDD dock that shows up as a mad storage device, not a hard drive. SMART isn't passed through it, nor will any OEM utility recognize their drive. I can't use Samsung's drive copy utility, for example.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sharkytm posted:

Not necessarily. I have a cheap Rosewill USB HDD dock that shows up as a MAD storage device, not a hard drive. SMART isn't passed through it, nor will any OEM utility recognize their drive. I can't use Samsung's drive copy utility, for example.

Crazy!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Moey posted:

Crazy!

LOL, I meant Mass... stupid swype.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:mad: storage device, eh?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You'd be mad, too, if you saw the things he was shoving on that disk. It didn't agree to be part of those shenanigans!

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

(a) try a shorter cable, like 12 inches. Make sure it connects at all. Try USB if it doesn't connect over eSATA.

(b) buy a LSI card like a 9207-8e or something off ebay. -xi means X internal ports and -xe means X external ports, so -8e is an 8 port external card. LSI should just work. Make sure it's an "IT mode" or "JBOD mode" controller, you can flash many raid cards to JBOD mode.

(c) if that doesn't work, return LSI card and buy a different enclosure, assuming you need esata to work.

a) I did try a shorter cable and it didn't make a difference unfortunately. I did try USB, and it worked fine.

b) yeah I already have one of those LSI controllers in my computer, for all the internal drives I have. I just need a 2 port eSATA card with port multiplier functionality that doesn't suck

c) I don't really need eSATA to work, but I figured it would be faster. Plus I chose this enclosure over another one specifically because it had eSATA support.

I don't know if I am being super hard-headed about not using USB but for 12 hard drives I really wanted something a bit more "stable" and with a better throughput (if that's the right word) than USB. But then again, the eSATA card could one day poo poo itself 10 years from now and corrupt my hard drives with it, which for some reason I feel like is less likely with USB (I guess because it's part of the motherboard).

Am I being ridiculous for wanting to use eSATA so bad? Genuine question. How would I know if SMART data is not being passed over eSATA to the eSATA card I choose? Load up CrystalDiskInfo and see if everything shows 0s or something?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are you doing with these 12 drives?

If all 12 are for video editing then yeah you probably want something fast

My workflow is more like 1-2TB SSD local/external disk via USB 3.1 in a drawer, and then 10TB network storage in a box in the basement somewhere

eSATA is really fast but unless you're doing exotic RAID I wonder if you're going to reach speeds exceeding USB 3.1 speeds or dual 1gbps

I bought this lovely sabrent USB 3.0 4x SSD dock thing last week for $50 and it worked out of the box and I'd already forgotten about it by the time I wrote this post

Edit: I checked, looks like eSATA tops out at 6gbps. It's probably got more real world throughput than a 5gbps USB link though.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 16, 2020

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

How would I know if SMART data is not being passed over eSATA to the eSATA card I choose? Load up CrystalDiskInfo and see if everything shows 0s or something?

The drives not only pass along SMART values but also what fields those values are associated with - without any field info CDI just won't be able to show anything for the drive, not even 0s.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

CommieGIR posted:

Oracle has thought of worse reasons to sue people, Linus just doesn't want more repeats of SCO. His view still isn't unreasonable imho.

Yeah this. It doesn’t matter whether CDDL / GPL mixing has been tested in court, the question in the minds of Linux kernel maintainers is this: What if the management of some company snorts enough coke to think they won’t lose the lawsuit?

SCO vs IBM and USL vs BSDi were both very costly to litigate. SCO’s management was a wild combination of incompetent, grifting, stupid, egotistical, and malicious, so rather than throwing in the towel when things obviously weren’t going well (against IBM! Which had massively deeper pockets!), they dragged things out for an unbelievable amount of time. Apparently stuff happened in that case as recently as 2018, and it might technically still be alive!

That history always has to be part of the calculus for Linux kernel devs. Linus knows drat well Linux wouldn’t even exist without USL v. BSDi (without it, BSD probably suits his needs and he never rolls his own hobby kernel, or gets ignored when he does because early Linux was incredibly crude and unfinished). Even after the parties settled, the court-sealed settlement agreement and public silence by all parties created lingering doubts about using BSD code.

So kernel devs aren’t going to integrate anything with even slightly hazy legal status. They want to feel confident that any attempts to sue can be shut down unambiguously with a quick pretrial summary judgement. Leaving enough gray area for an irrational plaintiff to advance things to the trial phase is how you end up paying lawyers a lot of money.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

For what it's worth, they work fine over USB3. However, I'd prefer eSATA as it's a little faster, plus these enclosures use some weird proprietary USB cable and they're short as hell. I bought two 6 foot eSATA cables, and I'd like to use them, dammit. Plus I paid a little extra for an enclosure with eSATA.

Should I just give up and use USB? Does S.M.A.R.T. data pass over USB but not eSATA? One of the eSATA cards that was recommended for these enclosures stated that it will not read S.M.A.R.T. data. How the hell am I supposed to figure out all this stuff before buying it? I just want an eSATA card that will support two of these enclosures at full speed while passing S.M.A.R.T data to my operating system. Does this not exist? I've spent more time researching this than when I bought my last car!

In the past I've documented my issues getting eSATA to work; in short, no combination of hosts, drives, and enclosures ever worked for me, so I gave up on it. If it worked, it might offer more throughput than USB3, however this is only going to matter if you're consistently maxing out the USB3 link to the enclosures. If you are, then that's one thing, but that's only likely to happen if you're transferring large files between multiple drive in each enclosure (no single HDD should max out USB3 UASP.) So if this isn't the case, then forget about eSATA because it's not worth the hassle.

sharkytm posted:

Not necessarily. I have a cheap Rosewill USB HDD dock that shows up as a mad storage device, not a hard drive. SMART isn't passed through it, nor will any OEM utility recognize their drive. I can't use Samsung's drive copy utility, for example.

All of the USB3 enclosures/cables I've tried have passed SMART stats, but I couldn't get an enclosure/cable that did all of: USB3, PATA, SMART (it was "pick two;" obviously the use-case is small but if you have old PATA drives that you need to access you generally have to settle for USB2.)

a) I did try a shorter cable and it didn't make a difference unfortunately. I did try USB, and it worked fine.

c) I don't really need eSATA to work, but I figured it would be faster. Plus I chose this enclosure over another one specifically because it had eSATA support.

I don't know if I am being super hard-headed about not using USB but for 12 hard drives I really wanted something a bit more "stable" and with a better throughput (if that's the right word) than USB. But then again, the eSATA card could one day poo poo itself 10 years from now and corrupt my hard drives with it, which for some reason I feel like is less likely with USB (I guess because it's part of the motherboard).

Am I being ridiculous for wanting to use eSATA so bad? Genuine question. How would I know if SMART data is not being passed over eSATA to the eSATA card I choose? Load up CrystalDiskInfo and see if everything shows 0s or something?

If USB3 works fine for you...then you're done here. If the enclosures have a stable connection and everything works, that's all that matters. Don't worry about hypothetical eSATA performance, it isn't even supported on any new systems (in that new laptops/desktops don't ship with it.)

If SMART data aren't being communicated, in CDI it won't show anything. Health Status will be unknown, no temp readout, and there will be no attributes listed (let alone any values.) If you really want to see what it looks like I can hook up a cable that doesn't pass SMART and take a screenshot.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Thanks so much for the replies.

Hadlock posted:

What are you doing with these 12 drives?

If all 12 are for video editing then yeah you probably want something fast

The hard drives are mostly for storing family photos and videos, old VHS tapes I've digitized, a ridiculous amount of TV shows and movies, music, video game backups (PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, etc), and stuff like that. Nothing that my OS is constantly accessing, except the D: which is movies and the E: which is TV shows.

Also it's usb 3.0, not 3.1 if that makes a difference? Does it?

Atomizer posted:

In the past I've documented my issues getting eSATA to work; in short, no combination of hosts, drives, and enclosures ever worked for me, so I gave up on it. If it worked, it might offer more throughput than USB3, however this is only going to matter if you're consistently maxing out the USB3 link to the enclosures. If you are, then that's one thing, but that's only likely to happen if you're transferring large files between multiple drive in each enclosure (no single HDD should max out USB3 UASP.) So if this isn't the case, then forget about eSATA because it's not worth the hassle.

I'm glad it's not just me. I am no dummy with computers, but holy poo poo the amount of hours I've spent trying to get eSATA to work is ridiculous. I'm talking 5+ hours so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My newsdemon account gave me access to their "SlickVPN" and gave me logins etc for that. https://www.slickvpn.com/

I'm running an UnRaid server and installed 'binhex-delugevpn' from the community apps.

I followed the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AEzm5y2EvM&t=304s

However, I can't get it running. If I disable VPN then the deluge client starts up fine and runs torrents as it should. When I re-enable VPN however I can't even open the web interface for the client. The client shows it is running, but is inaccessible. The only change from the video above is that I'm using a different vpn client. I'm not too familiar with VPNs and their lingo in general, so I could be messing up something incredibly simple. Any thoughts on why this might be failing?

If there's another easy(ish) method to obfuscate torrent traffic from my Unraid server I'd be glad to hear about it as I'm largely doing this just to hopefully keep my ISP (Verizon FIOS) From taking notice.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I think you need to disable strict port forwarding for other vpns, the default setup for that container is mostly configured for PIA which allows for port forwarding.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

That Works posted:

My newsdemon account gave me access to their "SlickVPN" and gave me logins etc for that. https://www.slickvpn.com/

I'm running an UnRaid server and installed 'binhex-delugevpn' from the community apps.

I followed the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AEzm5y2EvM&t=304s

However, I can't get it running. If I disable VPN then the deluge client starts up fine and runs torrents as it should. When I re-enable VPN however I can't even open the web interface for the client. The client shows it is running, but is inaccessible. The only change from the video above is that I'm using a different vpn client. I'm not too familiar with VPNs and their lingo in general, so I could be messing up something incredibly simple. Any thoughts on why this might be failing?

If there's another easy(ish) method to obfuscate torrent traffic from my Unraid server I'd be glad to hear about it as I'm largely doing this just to hopefully keep my ISP (Verizon FIOS) From taking notice.

Not sure what you mean by enabling or disabling your VPN. When the docker starts up, it should attempt to enable the VPN and try to log in with the credentials you provided. If it's not able to connect to the VPN it won't start up at all.

That tutorial is mostly for PIA, if you have another VPN provider they'd need to provide you an OpenVPN config file and certificates. It's what I had to do for mine. You'd then need to take those files and follow these instructions here: https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/guides/vpn.md

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Got a quick question.

Looking at upgrading my storage server from 8x 2tb drives to ~5x 8tb drives. Seems that my R515's PERC H700 can't support 8tb drives (seems to max out with 6tb), anyone work with the Dell PERC H710s?
I kind of need to stay with SAS RAID cards since I'm working in a Dell sever chassis and the drives connect to its backplane. I'm fairly sure that the H730 could do it but that's a chunk more expensive than the H710, even used.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Constellation I posted:

Not sure what you mean by enabling or disabling your VPN. When the docker starts up, it should attempt to enable the VPN and try to log in with the credentials you provided. If it's not able to connect to the VPN it won't start up at all.

That tutorial is mostly for PIA, if you have another VPN provider they'd need to provide you an OpenVPN config file and certificates. It's what I had to do for mine. You'd then need to take those files and follow these instructions here: https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/guides/vpn.md

In the docker setting there's a toggle to enable VPN. With this off you can set it up and run like standard Deluge, and it works. When VPN is enabled is where it breaks.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Ah I see it now. Yeah it sounds like your OpenVPN config file and certs are not configured correctly, meaning it can't connect to the VPN so the web interface is accessible. This is by design:

quote:

So all of the Docker images i have produced that include VPN functionality will NOT allow you to access the Web UI of the application until there is a working VPN tunnel. This protects the user from accidentally thinking they have a working tunnel and thus are anonymous, when in actual fact they aren't protected at all.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Queadlunn posted:

Got a quick question.

Looking at upgrading my storage server from 8x 2tb drives to ~5x 8tb drives. Seems that my R515's PERC H700 can't support 8tb drives (seems to max out with 6tb), anyone work with the Dell PERC H710s?
I kind of need to stay with SAS RAID cards since I'm working in a Dell sever chassis and the drives connect to its backplane. I'm fairly sure that the H730 could do it but that's a chunk more expensive than the H710, even used.
Please refer to The HBA Bible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The hard drives are mostly for storing family photos and videos, old VHS tapes I've digitized, a ridiculous amount of TV shows and movies, music, video game backups (PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, etc), and stuff like that. Nothing that my OS is constantly accessing, except the D: which is movies and the E: which is TV shows.

I'm glad it's not just me. I am no dummy with computers, but holy poo poo the amount of hours I've spent trying to get eSATA to work is ridiculous. I'm talking 5+ hours so far.

Yeah I'd just use USB then. There's zero benefit in your case. 3.0 vs 3.1 can double your throughput in some cases but it's not required. It's like buying a Corvette vs a Turbo Corvette. Both will get you to the grocery store quickly.

Also see if you can setup a script or cron job to synch your files with something like Amazon Glacier so that in case you lose your disks in a fire you still have a backup of all your family photos. I haven't done the math recently but it's like $2-3 USD a month for 4TB?

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Sadly that doesn't tell me; the spec sheets for the PERC H710 and it's core controller SAS2208 don't list any kind of maximum supported drive size. People talking about other cards in the family with that core controller say that other cards can support 8TB so it might be worth a shot still. I did find someone on Dell's support site saying that the earlier PERC H700 maxes out at 6tb so that's something, I know my current controller will not work with the drives I'm looking at.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I'd just use USB then. There's zero benefit in your case. 3.0 vs 3.1 can double your throughput in some cases but it's not required. It's like buying a Corvette vs a Turbo Corvette. Both will get you to the grocery store quickly.

I'm transferring between two hard drives right now and it's moving at 170 mbps. Does that sound about right? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So for your use-case there's zero reason to worry about the connection unless you were streaming media to multiple clients simultaneously.

And to reiterate, I never even got eSATA to act like it existed; none of the setups acknowledged the host & device were connected, even though every component worked individually (i.e. the enclosures were also USB3 and connected as expected, the drives were fine, etc.) Just forget about eSATA.

I'm transferring between two hard drives right now and it's moving at 170 mbps. Does that sound about right? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Yup, 100-200 MB/s is within the expected range for sequential transfers on a modern HDD. The very latest, highest-capacity/density ones might be able to go >200 MB/s at the distal edge of the platters, but your transfer rate absolutely sounds within reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queadlunn posted:

Sadly that doesn't tell me; the spec sheets for the PERC H710 and it's core controller SAS2208 don't list any kind of maximum supported drive size. People talking about other cards in the family with that core controller say that other cards can support 8TB so it might be worth a shot still. I did find someone on Dell's support site saying that the earlier PERC H700 maxes out at 6tb so that's something, I know my current controller will not work with the drives I'm looking at.

I don't think any of the SAS2xxx or newer chips have a drive size limit that will be achieved in our lifetimes.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Atomizer posted:

So for your use-case there's zero reason to worry about the connection unless you were streaming media to multiple clients simultaneously.

And to reiterate, I never even got eSATA to act like it existed; none of the setups acknowledged the host & device were connected, even though every component worked individually (i.e. the enclosures were also USB3 and connected as expected, the drives were fine, etc.) Just forget about eSATA.

Yup, 100-200 MB/s is within the expected range for sequential transfers on a modern HDD. The very latest, highest-capacity/density ones might be able to go >200 MB/s at the distal edge of the platters, but your transfer rate absolutely sounds within reason.

Thanks so much.

And yeah it's crazy. I tried two different PCI-e esata cards, four different cables, two different enclosures; nothing would detect the hard drives. It was so Goddamn weird but it's reassuring knowing I wasn't the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that's about as fast as you're gonna go unless you start doing RAID

You might temporarily see it spike way above that if your drives have a hybrid SSD cache, but once you fill the cache I'll drop back down again