Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

The Walrus posted:

as a tlj liker it gives me great satisfaction to see tlj dislikers say solo was good. theres no way anyone with taste could like solo.

Solo is awesome. Space WWI, Space Great Train Heist, Maoist Sexbot, Childish Landino. It's got issues but it's one of the best Star Wars movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Solo is awesome. Space WWI, Space Great Train Heist, Maoist Sexbot, Childish Landino. It's got issues but it's one of the best Star Wars movies.

yeah, i liked solo well enough. i wonder if i just like the idea of star wars but maybe not everything that comes out of it, and that's alright. i haven't seen the new movie yet but i liked the first one, had mixed feelings on the second one. the mandalorian was actually pretty great because i think it took the idea of what star wars was supposed to be like and put it in a show. and it just seemed like it could have come out in 1986. i think star wars is an idea and a feeling, it's a concept. and some of this stuff captures it and some of it doesn't, and you can include whatever as hits or misses.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doesn’t adult yoda’s eyes have pupils?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I know how they can make the next star wars movie a success.

Disney Executive: "Rich Evans is the key to all this, if we get Rich working. 'Cause he's a more likeable character than we've ever had in the new movies..."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

I respect your argument. I think our slightly different rankings can live in peace together.

Probably not this one, though.

IV > V > VIII > VII > III > RO > VI > S > II > IX > I > CW

Apart from the throne scene, I don't think VI really a very good movie at all, and most of its success comes from not loving up what V set up rather than through any merit of its own. As a conclusion to the original trilogy it probably deserves better, but as a movie in its own right I stand by my rankings.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

christmas boots posted:

Probably not this one, though.

IV > V > VIII > VII > III > RO > VI > S > II > IX > I > CW

Apart from the throne scene, I don't think VI really a very good movie at all, and most of its success comes from not loving up what V set up rather than through any merit of its own. As a conclusion to the original trilogy it probably deserves better, but as a movie in its own right I stand by my rankings.

Starts strong and ends strong but the middle? Yikes

It’s the anti Star Wars Star Wars ranking

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Here’s my ranking

V > IV > VI > stabbing myself in the dick with a rusty nail >>>>>> I=II=III=VII=VIII=IX

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How can any of you put II not in the bottom two? I used to put that movie on when I had trouble falling asleep. poo poo worked better than Tylenol PM.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I>VI>V>III>IV>II>VIII>VII>IX

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The Walrus posted:

as a tlj liker it gives me great satisfaction to see tlj dislikers say solo was good. theres no way anyone with taste could like solo.

Someone who admits to liking tlj really has no business talking about taste

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Moola posted:

Someone who admits to liking tlj really has no business talking about taste

TLJ's a good movie overall, but it definitely has problems. The key one being Holdo not giving a ship full of panicking survivors anything to go on and letting them fall into thinking they had no plan for no good reason.

Solo's a competently-made film on a technical level (decent acting, great setpieces and cinematography), but it falls over as a whole when you realize the script is literally just a checklist of everything Solo said or bragged about in A New Hope. It's still a fun dumb popcorn flick though.

You can run through Solo's plot as a literal list of "Here's where Solo..."

• Met Chewbacca
  • Met Lando
  • Got his iconic blaster
  • Made the Kessel Run
  • Learned to Shoot First. This one I genuinely loved as a clear snub to the remastered films :allears:
  • Got the Falcon in a card game

Also the Darth Maul reveal at the end is just dumb.

As for Rise of Skywalker... oh god that movie hurt. That movie huuuurt. It's an exhausting and tedious two-and-a-half hour trainwreck that just rehashes Empire and Return of the Jedi. I could bring myself to watch Attack of the Clones again and switch off my brain, I just don't have it in me to even consider watching Rise of Skywalker a second time.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Every storm trooper in the empire was another one of Sheevs bastard children

So hes like, the Walder Frey of Star Wars?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Having rewatched all the movies in the machete order before Rise of Skywalker I think people are underestimating just how poo poo the prequels really are

Like yes some of the designs are cool, and that's about it

The dialogue and delivery is just absolutely atrocious and sucks all plausibility and possible investment in the plot out

Padme becomes an absolutely pathetic wallflower stripped of all agency and attack of the clones is indicative of Lucas's extremely troubling interpretation of what constitutes an apparently consensual and romantic love blossoming. His fall during III is so loving laughably handled that it robs any credibility from the final act.

And then massive great chunks of the films are bad cgi turd smeared all over the screen.

The new trilogy evidently has many many problems but at least you have a bunch of actors with actual charisma trying to act decently at the middle of it, even if half of what they're made to say or do is nonsensical bollocks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
II>Valerian>I=III>IV>R1>V>VI>VII

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Where does Jupiter Ascending rank on your SW list

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butterfly Valley posted:

The new trilogy evidently has many many problems but at least you have a bunch of actors with actual charisma trying to act decently at the middle of it, even if half of what they're made to say or do is nonsensical bollocks

The first two are fine, but Rise of Skywalker is easily worse than the prequels. The Leia scenes are just three actors whose entire job in the film is to try and make random soundbites make sense, and it's so determined to beeline through the main plot points of Empire and Jedi that you'll see the big 'surprise' reveal coming way before it's supposed to be a shocking revelation. Palpatine wants her alive... we're ripping of Empire Strikes ba... :cripes:. It does have one or two good scenes, I legitimately like Kylo Ren's "death" and the moment with Han, that deserved to be in a MUCH better movie, but the whole of it is just flat bad.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Phantom menace is the only watchable prequel. It has a semblance of plot and the least CGI laser sword flippery. Also the race ruled :coolfish:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

Phantom menace is the only watchable prequel. It has a semblance of plot and the least CGI laser sword flippery. Also the race ruled :coolfish:

Correct opinion

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'll be honest, Ep 3 could have been the best movie ever until Vader went "nooooooo" and it still would have sank the entire thing, what the gently caress. George Lucas stumbled backwards and blindly into the most badass villain in movie history and he had to go make three movies about what a whiny bitch he was.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

halokiller posted:

Where does Jupiter Ascending rank on your SW list

I haven't seen it, or the new one, or more than the first 3 minutes of TLJ.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Had prequel trilogy marathon and holy poo poo is this correct.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

its all nice on rice posted:

How can any of you put II not in the bottom two? I used to put that movie on when I had trouble falling asleep. poo poo worked better than Tylenol PM.

:agreed:

Any ranking that doesn't have II at the bottom is crazy, it has no redeeming qualities other than those cool bombs that boba fett's dad drops on obiwan.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

:agreed:

Any ranking that doesn't have II at the bottom is crazy, it has no redeeming qualities other than those cool bombs that boba fett's dad drops on obiwan.

Yeah those bombs own

Total silence

BAOWWWWWWWWWM!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I like the shrieking praying mantis monster and it deserved not to get owned

I do not like the cat monster tearing a convenient amount of natalie portman's top off to expose her midriff to titillate the audience for the remainder of the scene where we're supposed to be invested in the character's mortal peril

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 17, 2020

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Butterfly Valley posted:

I do not like the cat monster tearing a convenient amount of natalie portman's top off to expose her midriff to titillate the audience for the remainder of the scene where we're supposed to be invested in the character's mortal peril

tbh thats the only part of 2 I do like

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Aotc is by far the worst SW movie. The holiday special is more watchable.

Also, I was all confused at The Mandalorian timelime because everybody kept calling that baby yoda, yoda. Yoda is dead.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leon Einstein posted:

Also, I was all confused at The Mandalorian timelime because everybody kept calling that baby yoda, yoda. Yoda is dead.

its a yoda. not yoda. come on dude.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

bring back old gbs posted:

its a yoda. not yoda. come on dude.

Did you forget about Yaddle? Yoda was his name.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

i mean the latter was never, ever, ever going to happen in this movie. showing us portman's midriff is at least an achievable goal for it.

although actually it was still extremely clumsy and mistimed, so maybe not that achievable lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, but the species doesn't have a known name, and it's a pretty reasonable shorthand. Everyone knows Yoda is his name, and when they say "Baby Yoda" people still know they're talking about The Child as he looks like a baby version of Yoda. :shrug:

Leon Einstein posted:

Rise of Skywalker is worse just for being a completely soulless retread of Empire and RotJ that tries to open Mystery Boxes that JJ never put anything inside to start with. AoTC at least tries to be its own thing, for better or (mostly) worse, and I could actually stand to watch it again compared to Rise of Skywalker.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 17, 2020

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leon Einstein posted:

yeah nobody gives a poo poo, its a yoda and its a baby yoda from the species yoda on the planet yoda

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my man never met a guy named human before... smdh

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah nobody gives a poo poo, its a yoda and its a baby yoda from the species yoda on the planet yoda

I'm just saying I thought the show took place before the OT. Settle down, Beavis.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but the species doesn't have a known name, and it's a pretty reasonable shorthand. Everyone knows Yoda is his name, and when they say "Baby Yoda" people still know they're talking about The Child as he looks like a baby version of Yoda. :shrug:

Rise of Skywalker is worse just for being a completely soulless retread of Empire and RotJ that tries to open Mystery Boxes that JJ never put anything inside to start with. AoTC at least tries to be its own thing, for better or (mostly) worse, and I could actually stand to watch it again compared to Rise of Skywalker.

You're lying.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I could actually stand to watch it again compared to Rise of Skywalker.

Do this and post a trip report

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do this and post a trip report

I spent most of Rise of Skywalker just mind-boggled at how badly put together it is. It blatantly just walks through two prior Star Wars movies, and the climax might as well be JJ Abrams banging toys together for how stupid it gets. At no point in the film did I feel engaged or like I was enjoying it, and the Leia scenes were literally painful to watch. Dominic Monoghan, Greg Grunberg, and Kelly Marie Tran deserved far better than to be the Stall-For-Time Leia Players, trying to take random snippets of cut dialogue and bend over backwards to carry a scene based on them multiple times throughout the film. For no good reason other than "We gotta have Leia in the movie at all costs!!", even though it caps off with literally "I must go; My planet son needs me!" to push her unceremoniously out of the film in the final goddamn act.

You can also juuuust about hear JJ Abrams repeatedly petulantly screaming "NUH-UHHHHH!!" every time he vindictively retconned back something Rian Johnson (quite rightfully) broke or changed. Like, ooooh, Luke's old Lightsabre being completely intact and not at all blown up?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 17, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

TLJ's a good movie overall, but it definitely has problems.

TLJ = Bush
ROS = Trump

TLJ was a flawed attempt that tried, but in the end did a horrible amount of damage.
ROS was an incoherent mess that left a massively sour taste in everyone's mouth and galvanised everyone's opinion that there is something wrong with the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The podracing sequence is better than everything in the sequel trilogy, probably.