Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ryonguy posted:

Maybe don't source stuff from China?

I mean it's kind of hard to get batches of custom design enamel pins done down the local craft store but cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've heard it said that Vietnam is the step up from China, while sometimes being cheaper.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Stormgale posted:

I mean it's kind of hard to get batches of custom design enamel pins done down the local craft store but cool.

Hey, whatever makes you feel better about getting the absolute lowest price point, environment and labor practices be damned. But yeah I totally meant "lol why don't you just go down to Michaels?"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ryonguy posted:

Hey, whatever makes you feel better about getting the absolute lowest price point, environment and labor practices be damned. But yeah I totally meant "lol why don't you just go down to Michaels?"

I mean as far a so understood from her research that sort of enamel pin manufacture and production literally dosent exist in the UK or us anymore. Even stuff that says it's made in the UK is often produced in China and shipped over here and finished here.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Stormgale posted:

My partner literally had her pin designs sold to a third party (likely via her manufacturer) and it was up on etsy before she'd gotten her fulfilment.

There was a tattooer who was building interesting bespoke machines with weird geometry that technically worked, but doubtfully worked as well as the classics. He put photos of one online and we found imitations available for sale on ebay within the week.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

i am harry posted:

There was a tattooer who was building interesting bespoke machines with weird geometry that technically worked, but doubtfully worked as well as the classics. He put photos of one online and we found imitations available for sale on ebay within the week.

You literally can't put anything online without it being bootlegged in China.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Huawei used to make exact copies of MacGregor vessel hatch covers. Everything not just the online stuff is bootlegged.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wonder if someone who really wanted to buy a nonexistent product could just make enough mockups that someone in china would do the work for them, sort of like paying into a kickstarter without a kickstarter or actually paying into it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

blatman posted:

I wonder if someone who really wanted to buy a nonexistent product could just make enough mockups that someone in china would do the work for them, sort of like paying into a kickstarter without a kickstarter or actually paying into it

5er

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Stormgale posted:

I mean as far a so understood from her research that sort of enamel pin manufacture and production literally dosent exist in the UK or us anymore. Even stuff that says it's made in the UK is often produced in China and shipped over here and finished here.

Industrial stamping/enameling is absolutely done stateside. It just isn't set up for small scale production, but denying that being applicable to such usage hinges on a self-fulfilling prophecy of "It's not done cheaply or easily here, so we won't try to do it here."

Again, the problem is, "It's cheaper to do it in China so we won't bother to try to find it elsewhere," not "It isn't done anywhere else."

blatman posted:

brb, gonna make a mockup for a Tiananmen Square memorial buttplug/dildo.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

blatman posted:

My plan is to launch a kickstarter with a prototype, wait for Chinese copies to show up on Aliexpress, and then ship the copies to my backers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I mean, the whole point of Wish at this point is to leech photos off etsy and pinterest, put them up for sale, then figure out how to make the product once anyone orders.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ryonguy posted:

Industrial stamping/enameling is absolutely done stateside. It just isn't set up for small scale production, but denying that being applicable to such usage hinges on a self-fulfilling prophecy of "It's not done cheaply or easily here, so we won't try to do it here."

So basically not viable for a small Kickstarter like my partner did, gotcha

Almost all the UK pin manufacturers that would do small batches also just outsource to china you dumbass

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 16, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Chiming in as someone who has sourced a bunch of enamel pins, patches, glassware, shirts, paper goods, etc. for a non-profit organization, you can put in the legwork and get reasonable stuff made locally in the US for a lot of products, but even when you find a company that costs a little more and touts their American Business bonafides you're liable to order something and then get a notice a week later that your order is being dropshipped from China or Pakistan. This has been exclusively my experience with enamel patches and pins, more than any other weird thing I've tried to make.

There are definitely places who can manufacture these items in the United States, but for those two specific items everyone I've spoken to has minimum orders that are completely untenable (like 5000+ of the same design) for most people who would be seeking out custom items.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Of all the things that exist it feels like "enamel pins" is a weird place to draw a line on being a real stickler for "buy american" compared to any other random thing. Why would it be important to manufacture specifically enamel pins in the US?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Of all the things that exist it feels like "enamel pins" is a weird place to draw a line on being a real stickler for "buy american" compared to any other random thing. Why would it be important to manufacture specifically enamel pins in the US?

Presumably the enamel pin factory in the US won't take your 5000 pin order, produce 15000 pins, and then toss the extra 10000 pins on Amazon at a lower price. And that's not even getting into marketplace confusion tactics.

It's not that enamel pins are unique, but they are an example of a good that may contain significant creative labor which gets completely wiped out due to mass production being possible.

Counterfeit textiles would be another example although that crosses into the insanity world of fashion.

Like, if I spend years designing the world's greatest iron metal rod puzzle (those kitschy puzzles that are obnoxiously difficult) I would hope to be able to be rewarded for my creative labor, not have knick knack stores around the world get flooded with the Offical Zakkack Brain Teaser of Learning Benefits.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 16, 2020

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Have you considered the possibility that they may be flag pins?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You know how the previous posts are talking about IP rights and finding out their original designs are being copied by Chinese companies when the production gets outsourced to China?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Dumb enamel pins are going to be easy to copy either way, I don't think going all yellow peril is necessary.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

Dumb enamel pins are going to be easy to copy either way, I don't think going all yellow peril is necessary.

I think enforcement of your IP may be easier in your own country.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Nevvy Z posted:

I think enforcement of your IP may be easier in your own country.

Maybe? I mean, I would imagine so, but at the same time haven’t a lot of those “fast fashion” places blatantly copied art and designs from indie graphic designers and artists?

Edit: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nejwdz/how-fashion-brands-like-zara-can-get-away-with-stealing-artists-designs-tuesday-bassen

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 17, 2020

see no weevil
Oct 31, 2019

Stormgale posted:

Almost all the UK pin manufacturers that would do small batches also just outsource to china
Yup.

For those unfamiliar, there's another layer of stuff you get to go through because a lot of artists flat-out refuse to tell you where they get their stuff manufactured (manufacturers like to jack up prices once they get relatively popular, so people are disincentivized from sharing sources). Because of that, there normally aren't too many reviews of a manufacturer unless the company really sucks, and you have people significantly less likely to recommend a manufacturer even if they're local and actually produce their pins in the country.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Maybe? I mean, I would imagine so, but at the same time haven’t a lot of those “fast fashion” places blatantly copied art and designs from indie graphic designers and artists?

Edit: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nejwdz/how-fashion-brands-like-zara-can-get-away-with-stealing-artists-designs-tuesday-bassen

Not just copied, but thrown up stolen catalog pictures without any idea how they were going to produce it and delivered utter crap.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Zachack posted:

Presumably the enamel pin factory in the US won't take your 5000 pin order, produce 15000 pins, and then toss the extra 10000 pins on Amazon at a lower price. And that's not even getting into marketplace confusion tactics.

It's not that enamel pins are unique, but they are an example of a good that may contain significant creative labor which gets completely wiped out due to mass production being possible.

Counterfeit textiles would be another example although that crosses into the insanity world of fashion.

Like, if I spend years designing the world's greatest iron metal rod puzzle (those kitschy puzzles that are obnoxiously difficult) I would hope to be able to be rewarded for my creative labor, not have knick knack stores around the world get flooded with the Offical Zakkack Brain Teaser of Learning Benefits.

In theory, you can ask U.S. Customs to block infringing articles at the border. You'll have to register your copyright, but that's cheap.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gaj70 posted:

In theory, you can ask U.S. Customs to block infringing articles at the border. You'll have to register your copyright, but that's cheap.

Lol. In theory is about as far as that would get.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It also works in practice, tons of imports violating US laws are destroyed every day by customs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lambert posted:

It also works in practice, tons of imports violating US laws are destroyed every day by customs.

It's true. My dad worked in Customs in the 90s, I remember he gave me ten plastic Batman wristwatches when he took me to the shredding factory to see a couple tons of (unlicensed) Batman wristwatches get industrial shredded.

However, I would wager Warner Bros. has better enforcement options than an Etsy seller making cute unicorn pins.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

However, I would wager Warner Bros. has better enforcement options than an Etsy seller making cute unicorn pins.

So do LVMH and all those Swiss watchmakers, but none of that stops tons of counterfeit versions of those products still making it through. A small scale artist/retailer doesn't stand a chance of stopping anything.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lambert posted:

Tons everyday even! Tons shredded!

It is a fart in the wind of the larger problem of mis-declared cargos.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Didn't see this coming:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Not precisely retail, but the Frontier telecom plans to file for bankruptcy, further cementing its few and much larger competitors.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Didn't see this coming:

Man those little burgers were so much better than white castle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So white Castle is poo poo but their chicken and waffles sliders are the best thing on the menu. Not just the best thing but like better than most fast food period.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

shirunei posted:

Man those little burgers were so much better than white castle.

As someone who was a fat teenager in the 90's and lived in Florida and also is from NY : Yes, Krystal was a worthy substitute.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Not precisely retail, but the Frontier telecom plans to file for bankruptcy, further cementing its few and much larger competitors.

I've never had a problem with Frontier up here in washington state, sad to hear.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Wasn't their business plan buying unprofitable segments from the bigger telcos and through magic making it work?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Or in West Virginia’s case, inflating their advertised speeds and then getting hit with a $150 million judgement after the state AG sued them, ripping off the state by charging them phony fees on their invoices, and other shady practices.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170619/09164837615/frontier-communications-caught-again-ripping-off-west-virginia-taxpayers.shtml

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Aren't they just reorganizing?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
So we're now a month into 2020; how's Fry's doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Macy's is hosed...as is t-shirt vendor WWE