Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
How is QAnon reacting to the news that yet another Hillary probe came up with nothing?

I guess it will be the next investigation that results in her being led away in chains to her televised execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

*week's

seriously that poo poo is loving bitcoin prices

Also pretty much the only ingredient that has any measurable effect is caffeine.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

cmndstab posted:

How is QAnon reacting to the news that yet another Hillary probe came up with nothing?

I guess it will be the next investigation that results in her being led away in chains to her televised execution.

Without even looking:

"Trust the plan"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cmndstab posted:

FYI, Hillary Clinton has been executed in Goatanamo a long time ago. The clones are not the real Hillary

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

cmndstab posted:

At this point all these investigations are to discover which hillary is going to be secretly deported and/or executed.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

InsertPotPun posted:

At this point all these investigations are to discover which hillary is going to be secretly deported and/or executed.

Why not just spin the

WHEEL!

OF!

HILLARYS!

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
My cousin who is deep in Q posted "11:11 ;)" along with a screenshot of the Hillary story and a picture of Trump's tweet from today saying the DOW gained 11,000 points in three years. So she has probably been executed in Q land.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
They keep executing her but it doesn't take. Hopefully by next time they figure out what supernatural being she is, but I doubt it. They're still debating if she's a demon or an undead.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

dms666 posted:

My cousin who is deep in Q posted "11:11 ;)" along with a screenshot of the Hillary story and a picture of Trump's tweet from today saying the DOW gained 11,000 points in three years. So she has probably been executed in Q land.
ask her what happens when nothing happens that day. I'm honestly curious.

I know the answer is "trust the plan" and whatever funny number catches them next will be the REAL number, not like that last fake out number I totally didn't fall for.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Why not just spin the

WHEEL!

OF!

HILLARYS!

OOPS! All Epsteins!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

I know the answer is "trust the plan" and whatever funny number catches them next will be the REAL number, not like that last fake out number I totally didn't fall for.

Then it was either disinfo put out to trick the deep state or it really did happen and they're pretending it didn't to throw others off balance. Which is what Obama has been doing for the last year or so, after his stint at Gitmo. The subject is forced to play along under some kind of duress.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

One purpose of the council was to resolve disagreements arising from within the church of Miami over the nature of Trump's travels with the Tesla machine: in particular, whether his essence had travelled only through time, and therefore him being a time traveller, or if he had also travelled to other dimensions, therefore him being an interdimensional time traveller.

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE

InsertPotPun posted:

My mom is deeply involved this, logic and questions like these do not faze them. Even though time and time again Q has failed predict anything. She cannot comprehend it not happening and will not answer these "What if this doesn't happen".

PS I'm told by her 2020 is THE year that "something" will happen. Oh and also 10% of the population follow Q.... The world population.

My mom has 130 IQ. Yet I lose IQ points every time she speaks to me.

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE
For humor value I'm tempted to remote into her computer and block access to all of the websites she views. But I'm her IT guy :saddowns:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

InsertPotPun posted:

It's all a big game of Secret Hitlary.

Now to write a Secret Hitler reskin where researchers have to follow breadcrumbs to find the Secret Hillary and her Deep State allies and get those scam bux flowing in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kharohz posted:

For humor value I'm tempted to remote into her computer and block access to all of the websites she views. But I'm her IT guy :saddowns:

Hosts file fuckery might be even better. Redirect all that dumb poo poo to a mental health hotline or something. When asked, "Trust the plan, do what it says"

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Glenn Beck had an ad this morning that I'll paraphrase:

"Verizon and AT&T take the fees you pay in taxes and donate to Planned Parenthood. That's why you need PATRIOT MOBILE. They donate your fees to WHAT YOU BELIEVE"

So I guess the Deep State runs everything, but is also defeatable.

I can't imagine being a person this stupid.

I thought one of the cornerstones of a facist belief system was that the Enemy is simultaneously all powerful (they run everything and cause all the bad things in the world through an intricate system of lies, covert ops and deception) and totally inept (their plots are constantly foiled, us Common People could totally outsmart them and beat them in combat, they have bad personal hygiene, they're subhuman, etc.)

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/11/trum-and-farage-supporter-flies-flag-for-qanon-rar-right-conspiracy

The grauniad posted:

A key supporter of Nigel Farage and Donald Trump has provoked ridicule after using his landmark Cornish castle to fly the flag of a prominent conspiracy theory identified by the FBI as inspiring rightwing violence.
John Mappin, who owns Camelot Castle at Tintagel, used the Victorian hotel to promote a rightwing hoax known as QAnon, which the US intelligence agency has said is a motivator for “domestic extremists” who want to carry out violence in the US.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Eulogistics posted:

I thought one of the cornerstones of a facist belief system was that the Enemy is simultaneously all powerful (they run everything and cause all the bad things in the world through an intricate system of lies, covert ops and deception) and totally inept (their plots are constantly foiled, us Common People could totally outsmart them and beat them in combat, they have bad personal hygiene, they're subhuman, etc.)

:umberto:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

oh gently caress I love John Mappin

• he is a heir to the fortune of Mappin & Webb, the official royal jeweler, which enables him to piss away money endlessly
  • Camelot Castle at Tintagel is one of the scuzziest hotels in the United Kingdom: it's an old Victorian mansion that has been poorly converted into a tourist hotel by dividing up as much space as possible into guest rooms, decorating them with random threadbare furniture and putting a combination toilet and shower cubicle intended for RVs in the corner so they don't have to pay for new plumbing

• he is a devout Scientologist and there's stacks of printouts of introductory Scientology literature on every flat surface in the hotel, and will frequently corner guests and try to give them life advice and counseling (all of which boils down to "you should become a Scientologist")
  • every wall is covered in eye-searing "art" by his fellow Scientologist business partner Ted Stouton, who converted because Mappin convinced him he could use Scientology tech to bring his brother out of a coma, and he wanders around the hotel giving every guest the hard sell every chance he gets in the hope that a guest will finally give in and spend hundreds of pounds on a hideous painting or pay to see his "studio" in the basement

• he loves Donald Trump so much that he declared him a "knight of Camelot Castle" with the commensurate fancy certificates and medals made and sent to him, and tried making his own "Camelot Castle TV" satellite channel to promote him, which put out all of two episodes before being forgotten about
  • before Trump, he was a huge fan of Ron Paul, of course

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 11, 2020

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Funion posted:

I recently found out that my mother and step-dad are Q believers through my sister (who just moved out). I left them back when they were hardcore Tea Party members, but I had no idea they had fallen this low. My 15 year old brother still lives with them and I've re-initiated contact with the secret reason of slowly rationalizing their beliefs to save him from this poo poo.

Am I hosed or is there a chance I can turn them around? I had never even heard of QAnon before last week and I couldn't believe what I was reading when I looked it up.

If their minds are so malleable as to believe this insane crap I have to believe I can turn them around somehow. Even getting them back to "TRUMP MAGA" would be better than this nightmare 1 brain cell garbage.

UPDATE:

Alright, so originally, I had heard through my sister that my mom had persuaded her and her husband to sit through a QAnon video.

This made me alarmed, but I still didn't know whether my mom and stepdad actually believed in QAnon or had just stumbled on a conservative video they agreed with that happened to have Q elements.

I attended a birthday party with all of them and they seemed reasonable and nice, but my sister and I agreed that it was probably because they didn't want to scare me away again after I had distanced myself from them for around 7 or 8 years. I also had lunch alone with my mother one day, where we caught up and she mentioned she wasn't a republican anymore. I was cautiously optimistic, but she said it was because she doesn't like how "the government encourages putting labels on everyone to create tensions" and that she's still heavily conservative. I was disappointed, but for some reason her reasoning wasn't ringing any alarm bells for me.

Then, last week, I went to a suicide awareness rally with my mom and my wife (my stepsister hung herself in 2018), and I was impressed by the empathy she was showing and how good it was that she was being vocal for a great cause. I had almost forgotten about the QAnon suspicions I originally had and my fears for my brother seemed to be unfounded. I think she even bad-mouthed Trump at one point.

My mom texted me late last week and said she had an extra ticket to go to a car show with her, my stepdad, and my brother.

I accepted of course, and we all carpooled to the car show together. I was having a lot of fun and enjoying myself for about the first 4 hours. The QAnon poo poo was very far in the back of my mind, I had almost forgotten about it.

But then I noticed my mom had been wearing a hat the entire time.

I looked up.

what. the. gently caress.

I casually asked her what the "Q" meant on her hat, as if I had never heard of it before. She starts explaining to me like it's the most normal thing in the world about QAnon and how there's a secret cabal of satan-worshipping pedophiles that controls the government. We go over and rejoin my stepdad and brother, where she has my stepdad explain more about it and how it's really opened their minds.

I'm an EMT so I'm good at keeping an outward calm and empathizing with people, but at this point my despair and panic about how wrong this poo poo is was threatening to spill over so I don't press them for more details, and we continue to different parts of the car show.

A bit later I catch my brother alone and ask him if we can have a conversation that will stay between us. He agrees, and I ask him if he believes in QAnon. At this point he gets very quiet, reserved, and seems uncomfortable. He says "Yeah, pretty much, but I haven't done too much research about it. I agree with a lot of the ideas though." poo poo. I start telling him how it's a conspiracy theory, how the FBI labeled it a domestic terrorism threat, and try to express to him how scary it is that our parents have caught him up in this. I tell him to definitely do his own research and read about what he's being exposed to. He agrees but I can't tell if he is entirely convinced or not.

My brother and I bond a lot more during the car show and eventually we leave. On the way back my parents mention QAnon again and start expressing their disappointment with how dirty and corrupt our government is. Something I thought was funny was that they said that they didn't agree with Trump on everything but "At least he's not one of THEM and we got him elected. He's not corrupt and he's doing a lot of great things for this country! He's removing a lot of corrupt politicians and replacing them with people who aren't in it for the money or the corporations." I kept my mouth shut tight during this of course.

SO, things are even worse than I thought. I'm still planning on trying to rationalize their beliefs, because at this point I have to try, both for my brother and for the chance of me letting them within 100 miles of my future kids. I think there might be a small glimmer of hope here because I asked if they had ever heard of 4chan (where QAnon was birthed apparently) and they had no idea, so maybe with superior knowledge I can inform them of what they are actually a part of.

Are there any resources you guys have that I can read about QAnon? I need to know more. I need to know all about the origin, beliefs, and inconsistencies of the QAnon movement to have any real chance of changing their minds. My parents might be insane, but it's the kind of insane they can rationalize very well with the information they're given. I want to attack on all fronts: with facts, rational arguments, and emotional arguments.

I'm planning to have some more one-on-one lunches with my mom and stepdad where I can slowly and tactfully make my case. I'm not sure how invested my brother is in this garbage but I'm going to spend more time with him too, and expose him to some better ideas outside the bubble he's been trapped in.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol how the gently caress is this poo poo still going on?

It's been like 3 years and nothing has loving happened

It's like the Rapture people ran out of excuses, this is their next best thing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Chairman posted:

oh gently caress I love John Mappin

Why is this guy painting the same three tits in his paintings?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kharohz posted:

PS I'm told by her 2020 is THE year that "something" will happen. Oh and also 10% of the population follow Q.... The world population.

I've seen this claim, but when pressed it turned out to be "10% of the US population has heard of Q, according to a pundit on Fox News".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol how the gently caress is this poo poo still going on?

It's been like 3 years and nothing has loving happened

It's like the Rapture people ran out of excuses, this is their next best thing

TRUST THE PLAN

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Funion posted:

I'm planning to have some more one-on-one lunches with my mom and stepdad where I can slowly and tactfully make my case. I'm not sure how invested my brother is in this garbage but I'm going to spend more time with him too, and expose him to some better ideas outside the bubble he's been trapped in.

You're going to need a cult deprogrammer.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mercury_Storm posted:

You're going to need a cult deprogrammer.

Yeah, logic and facts aren't going to work, even if they genuinely agree at the time with what you tell them they'll either forget it, work it into the conspiracy, or 'debunk' it online later.

Just the idea of someone honestly thinking Trump isn't in it for the money or corrupt at all is such an alien concept to me. Q makes Scientology look reasonable.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah, logic and facts aren't going to work, even if they genuinely agree at the time with what you tell them they'll either forget it, work it into the conspiracy, or 'debunk' it online later.

Just the idea of someone honestly thinking Trump isn't in it for the money or corrupt at all is such an alien concept to me. Q makes Scientology look reasonable.

Well I'll try first and probably give up if there's no hope. It does look kinda bleak though, just combed through their facebooks and it seems like they frequently browse the following things: qanon.pub, breitbart, fox news, and some conservative social media thing called Codias. They might be unsavable.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Funion posted:

Well I'll try first and probably give up if there's no hope. It does look kinda bleak though, just combed through their facebooks and it seems like they frequently browse the following things: qanon.pub, breitbart, fox news, and some conservative social media thing called Codias. They might be unsavable.

Well that's a new one to me. https://www.codias.com

Guess they've come a long way since the halcon days of Reaganbook.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, Facebook, Twitter and *checks notes* LinkedIn, famously liberal social media sites.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Unless you can unplug them from the source of stupid poo poo it will never work. Facts and logic are not important in this kind of cult situation, it's all emotions and they're getting that emotional support from those sources. As soon as you're gone they'll turn on their drip feed and re-convince themselves how true it all is. A therapist is a better choice for this than a fact checker.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ask them how much dinar they have

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Ask them how much dinar they have

Ahaha I'd forgotten about that. And looking at it the Iraqi dinar is still worth absolutely gently caress-all, slowly on the decline.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So what's the deal with Dinar?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

jojoinnit posted:

There are a bunch of people holding onto stockpiles of Iraqi dinar because they believe that Trump is going to somehow bring the dinar's value up from its current exchange rate of 1 dinar = $0.001 USD to its pre-Gulf War exchange rate of about 1 dinar = $3 USD, and they spend all their time poring through every word Trump says for secret signals that the revaluation is coming very soon and his supporters' wealth will increase a thousandfold, begging him on Twitter to speed up the revaluation, or spending their spare money on buying even more dinar (at a huge markup through gray-market forex that's hyping up the revaluation as inevitable).

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 17, 2020

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jojoinnit posted:

Over the last 20 years there's been this theory among chuds and cranks that the US was going to turn Iraq into an economic super power on par with Saudi Arabia and the currency would rapidly deflate. Therefore if you bought a bunch of Iraqi Dinars then and now, your investment would explode. Trump came into it because it got spread by a new wave of grifters that Trump invested in Dinars and then got the government of Iraq or some other institution to exchange at a higher rate. There's also that chud mindset that Trump is going to make Iraq into a stable, economically powerful country so they're still holding onto it for that reason.

It's just boomer chud crypto speculation before crypto speculation reached them.

EDIT: Beaten.

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!

Good to hear that you're trying at least. I posted in the thread before, but I had to just essentially cut out my family when they fell for this nonsense. It's not the only scam they've fallen for before. Including buying Iraqi Dinar because of course they did.

My ultimate family opt-out point was when my mother said some really terrible things to my wife, who is a person of color. Kinda had one of those moments where I realized I can't have a child with my wife who would then most likely have their first racist experience be from grandma.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Very tempted to buy :10bux: worth of dinar. I mean, I'd only waste it on a sandwich anyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Very tempted to buy :10bux: worth of dinar. I mean, I'd only waste it on a sandwich anyway.

Is this a pun about diners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

Good to hear that you're trying at least. I posted in the thread before, but I had to just essentially cut out my family when they fell for this nonsense. It's not the only scam they've fallen for before. Including buying Iraqi Dinar because of course they did.

My ultimate family opt-out point was when my mother said some really terrible things to my wife, who is a person of color. Kinda had one of those moments where I realized I can't have a child with my wife who would then most likely have their first racist experience be from grandma.

That's really sad to hear and I'm empathizing hard with you, I can't believe people fall for this crap.

My parents aren't even that dumb, in the traditional sense at least. They're successful, wealthy, and active in the community. They even helped push some suicide awareness legislation in our state. I'm just not sure at what point they fell down the rabbit hole.

I think even if they don't listen to logic and reason I might be able to persuade them emotionally, especially if I can get my 2 sisters who moved away from them to help. I'm probably super optimistic but if I could actually change their minds it wouldn't be a stretch to extrapolate and maybe even draw them away from their extreme conservative views, but if I get that far I'd probably buy a lottery ticket and change careers to politics.

Something new though, my mom just shared a picture of her with the founder of Turning Point USA, Charlie Kirk.