Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seems like an exceedingly Cunning Plan™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Abuse of power is literally “high crime” as written in 1700’s English. It means crime pertaining to misuse of the office of the Presidency (or whatever elected office you hold).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Slowpoke! posted:

Abuse of power is literally “high crime” as written in 1700’s English. It means crime pertaining to misuse of the office of the Presidency (or whatever elected office you hold).

Yeah, the current canard these people like to cite is that the founders rejected "maladministration" from impeachment language, and then they imply that that means they therefore rejected abuse of power.

But maladministration means sucking at your job and loving things up, and we're not impeaching Trump for that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah, but have you considered no? - Super lawyer man Dershowitz.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ken Starr and Dershowitz? And arguing that crimes are not really crimes.

Jesus, this is going to be a shitshow.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just want Ken Starr to get up there and rail against the over-broad fishing expedition that led to these wild allegations :lol:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pam Bondi is also on the team, which means it's just Trump naming people he's heard of and/or has previously bribed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Pam Bondi is also on the team, which means it's just Trump naming people he's heard of and/or has previously bribed.

yeah, I feel like this is all an extremely good sign.

Trump appointing prominent pedophiles and Fox News Personalities means that we're heading towards a shitshow McConnell can't control, which I see as the best scenario for us. None of these people will be able to tell him no, and when he demands insane, self-harming things, they'll go along with it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crimes aren't crimes. Actually, crimes are not-crimes. Therefore, you must acquit. Because my client committed not-crimes. Thank you.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

eke out posted:

yeah, I feel like this is all an extremely good sign.

Trump appointing prominent pedophiles and Fox News Personalities means that we're heading towards a shitshow McConnell can't control, which I see as the best scenario for us. None of these people will be able to tell him no, and when he demands insane, self-harming things, they'll go along with it.

Yes, and this is why I'm not all that concerned about calling the Bidens as witnesses. It'll be the Democrats prosecuting serious crimes while Republicans jerk themselves off to conspiracy theories no one outside the right-wing extended universe will know or care about.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Reminder that Ken Starr also was involved in covering up sexual assaults at Baylor.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

empty whippet box posted:

Crimes aren't crimes. Actually, crimes are not-crimes. Therefore, you must acquit. Because my client committed not-crimes. Thank you.

It depends on what the meaning of the word "crimes" is

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Reminder that Ken Starr also was involved in covering up sexual assaults at Baylor.

At least he achieved his life-long ambition of getting someone removed from their job for sexual misconduct.

actuallysanta
Dec 23, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Dershowitz new book "If Trump did it..." with forward by OJ Simpson

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

...while Republicans jerk themselves off to conspiracy theories no one outside the right-wing extended universe will know or care about.

You're giving entirely too much faith in the public, even the ones who aren't Trump sycophants.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If anything else, the shitshow leading up to the trial has succeeded in making Collins less popular than even Senator Mcconnell

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hair Furor's narcissistic ego is incompatible with the strategy of "His actions were inappropriate, but do not rise to the level of impeachable" which is what every single politically savvy person would be doing. I'm certain that, behind closed doors, McConnel has been absolutely desperate to go that route. It would be a super easy out, deflating everything and feeding the propaganda machine the ready made line of "unreasonable do-nothing obstructionist Democrats."

Instead we get this pack of clowns that will scream right-wing fever swamp conspiracy theories all day and all night to soothe Bigly Strong Daddy's pathological need to be 'winning'.

gently caress you McConnel you deserve every minute of this. Seeing the "greatest deliberative body" dragged through the mud and turned in to a three ring circus poo poo-show is not even a percent of a percent of the suffering you deserve.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DandyLion posted:

You're giving entirely too much faith in the public, even the ones who aren't Trump sycophants.

Quite possible, but I honestly don't think that most people had a single clue what Gym, Nunes and the other House clowns were rambling on about during the House hearings. I don't think they'll know or care if the Senate tries to do the same thing. I think it's going to be hard to bothsides the crimes Trump is accused of, but I'm sure the media and the GOP will try their best.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1218233305558147079
https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1218245528426897409

:hmmyes:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/rfhyde1/status/1218231487256055808

this is basically the definition of "admissions against interest"

- admits the texts were real
- admits he thought the guy were surveilling Yovanovich at the time

but now he thinks it was all fake, so it's okay, no harm no foul

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 17, 2020

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The only thing surprising about this is how long it took for these guys to get ratfucked by idiots

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Why's he trying to show off his taint through that whole monologue

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Get the gently caress outta here. Dude can barely climb into an F-150.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
"Hiking the Appalachian Trail"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Are those Trump socks lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh what the gently caress, come on

All this stupid poo poo being real is a direct attack on my sanity

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lemming posted:

Oh what the gently caress, come on

All this stupid poo poo being real is a direct attack on my sanity

He dressed up in the same outfit trump is wearing on his socks

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
ooops

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

"Hiking the Appalachian Trail"

Or the Trump only 'Tallahasee Trail'. It's amazing that instead of surrounding himself with legit crime doers that are able to cover everything up because they've been doing this for so long, Trump managed to get so many fools in his little inner circle that he managed to get both Manafort and Roger Stone, who were both lifetime criminals with tons of relevant experience, arrested.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

He dressed up in the same outfit trump is wearing on his socks

Haha, gently caress

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Fun game is to just click on that video at random spots and laugh because literally every still is funny, especially in the second half

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Fun game is to just click on that video at random spots and laugh because literally every still is funny, especially in the second half

jesus he looks like Goering. but probably more doped up and dumber.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Now this, this is an excellent post. Thank you, Phil.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Soo....

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1218271167527690241

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1218275840548593664

quote:

Let’s talk about Ross. Kennedy viewed him as a profile on courage, and Pence concurs. He writes that “Ross was determined to render a fair judgment” and “stayed true to his own convictions.” Accurate?

No. Ross was a junior senator from Kansas and he needed money and favors. His constituents wanted him to vote to remove Johnson from office. There was no reason to vote the way he did—except that he was importuning Johnson for favors. He wanted all kinds of favors for his family. And treaties for the railroads interests pushing him. He wanted John to support a treaty that would sell 8 million acres that belonged to Native Americans to a railroad for a fraction of what it was worth. He wanted his brother to get a government position in Florida. Then he wanted two friends to be appointed as Indian agents, and another friend to be Southern superintendent of Indian affairs, and another friend to be a surveyor in Kansas. In view of Ross’ vote, Johnson delivered on absolutely all of it. As we say today, there was plenty of quid pro quo.

There’s also substantial suggestion, if not hard proof, that Ross actually received money for his vote. Ross lived in the same boarding house as Vinnie Ream, a sculptor. It appears he had a crush on her. Ream’s brother-in-law, Perry Fuller, was a very shady character, known for bribes and corruption, who was working behind the scenes on Johnson’s behalf. He had also contributed to Ross’ campaign.

And Fuller paid Ross to vote for acquittal?

So people said at the time. We do know that Ross asked Johnson to nominate Fuller as Commissioner of Internal Revenue. Johnson complied, but the Senate wouldn’t confirm Fuller, so Johnson gave him a big plum job as the customs agent in New Orleans. [Note: Fuller was arrested for embezzling $3 million, and Ross guaranteed his bond.]

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anyone remember Wade Duck from the Garfield cartoons? Same concept.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Toobly posted:

Anyone remember Wade Duck from the Garfield cartoons? Same concept.

Oh God I just realized why his name was Wade

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Dershowitz is such a douchebag

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skex posted:

Dershowitz is such a douchebag

The Trump impeachment defense team is a real who's who of people you absolutely would not want representing you in 2020. The only way it could be worse is if Rudy was taking part himself.

It's giving me hope that things will be entertaining in the run up to the inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

He was just on Ari Melber’s show taking about how abuse of power isn’t an impeachable offense. Guessing that’s what he’s gonna present as a “witness”. He also pressed back on being a member of the legal team.