Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Amnistar posted:

Generally speaking, take shields of they are available over dual weapons or two handed weapons.

Take better hit and wound over better damage.

Take rend rend over damage.

Thanks for this, I like solid general advice in this vein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Danimo posted:

The new Tzaangor warscroll doesn’t allow mixing shields with paired weapons. Chaos Warriors are one of the few that still freely mix weapon profiles.

Oh drat, I didn't notice that change, only the one in the shield rule saying you have to assign wounds to a model with shields when possible. Seems like that alone would have fixed the problem, surprised that they also decided to standardized the unit loadout. Can't say I'm upset about it though...the more you can simplify unit composition the better imo

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just finished printing off a batch of Aethergold chits for my Kharadron homies.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Slaves to Darkness FAQ is out. Relevant to the above discussion as none of the StD units can mix weapons now. I'm not sure there's any units left in the game now that freely mix weapon profiles.

The more important erratas were to Dark Prophecy (no longer able to decline to reveal the d6 roll, good change) and the Nurgle Daemon Prince command ability (nerfed big time)

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

The Nurgle Daemon Prince thing was just ludicrous, so I'm glad it got nerfed. Kinda bummed about the everchosen battalion nerf and Slayer of Kings going from triggering on two 6's in a phase to two 6's in an attack.

E: I just noticed something pretty weird. The errata changed the allegiance ability for Aura of Chaos to specify that a Slaves to Darkness Hero must have the Mark of Chaos keyword to use an Aura of Chaos. There are a couple of heroes who don't have the Mark of Chaos keyword, namely Archaon and Gaunt Summoner. Does that mean they can't give an aura? That conflicts with the Host of the Everchosen ability that extends Archaon's aura ability to 18" though.

Double Edit: Seeing as how the Mark of Chaos ability itself just allows the hero to add a chaos god keyword which then specifies the aura, maybe since Archaon already has all of the chaos god keywords it's a moot point. Clear as mud.

Triple Edit: Nm, I wasn't reading it correctly. The errata does not refer to the MARK OF CHAOS keyword, but just a keyword granted by Mark of Chaos i.e. TZEENTCH, KHORNE, SLAANESH or NURGLE. Carry on.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 13, 2020

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

A bunch of my friends and family got me Sigmarines for Christmas, because they knew I like knights and Warhammer. So I guess I'm making a Sigmarine army, now. I will probably pick up either the Stormcast Vangard or the Thunderstrike Brotherhood Start Collecting box.

At present, I have:

Evocators (I built them with sords because they're cooler)
Paladins (I built them with the big ol' hammers because they were the only weapons that didn't look ridiculous)
Castigators with Gryph-Hound
Gryph Hounds (They're so cute...)
Celestar Ballista
Knight Questor
Sequitors

Any advice on which is a better next step?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mikey Purp posted:

Kinda bummed about the everchosen battalion nerf

Oh yeah like that is like the only outright bad nerf. It just makes the Battalion worthless. Like Getting two circle abilities was something cool. It allowing you to just pick a different one then the one you already chose is worthless.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

A bunch of my friends and family got me Sigmarines for Christmas, because they knew I like knights and Warhammer. So I guess I'm making a Sigmarine army, now. I will probably pick up either the Stormcast Vangard or the Thunderstrike Brotherhood Start Collecting box.

At present, I have:

Evocators (I built them with sords because they're cooler)
Paladins (I built them with the big ol' hammers because they were the only weapons that didn't look ridiculous)
Castigators with Gryph-Hound
Gryph Hounds (They're so cute...)
Celestar Ballista
Knight Questor
Sequitors

Any advice on which is a better next step?

Vanguard are fun but not very strong, whereas the stuff in the Thunderstrike Brotherhood is generally good. Lord-Relictor kicks rear end.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Thanks! Of what I got, are there any real lemons there?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Castigators don't really do anything Judicators or the Ballistas don't do, but it's only 80 points for 3 and if you get a Lord-Ordinator you can field a pretty okay battalion with them and the Ballista (although you can get the same effect by just buying a bunch of Ballistas). Paladins are a little overshadowed by Evocators but they cost less so it's a wash. There's nothing truly terrible in the Stormcast lineup, just one or two mediocre units that can be skipped.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh yeah like that is like the only outright bad nerf. It just makes the Battalion worthless. Like Getting two circle abilities was something cool. It allowing you to just pick a different one then the one you already chose is worthless.

Yeah it basically just allows you to choose a different circle for each unit which doesn't really matter when all of them except for two are bad.

I hate the Slayer of Kings buff just because it shows how sloppy the rules writing and play testing is. I just can't understand the original choice of words "in a phase" if it wasn't to open up the possibility for proccing across more than one attack. If they were on the fence as to whether that was a good idea or not...they should have play tested it before the book released instead of walking it back now.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-posting

richyp posted:

Painted the last 3 units today, to complete the 2000 points Slyvaneth Army.

1 more unit of 10 Dryads

and 2 units of 3 Kurnoth Hunters with Greatswords

Here's the full army:

Only thing left to get is another wood (3 trees) and possibly a display board.

This is my first 2k army for Sigmar that isn't GA:Death or GA:Chaos, it's an actual Allegiance. Also the first 2k army I've painted in years.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Those Slaves changes are kinda bad although there was a lot of writing on the wall. No single exalted chariot units anymore and the varanguard nerf is really really rough. DP needed a nerf but I'm not sure this was the right way to do it. Archaon was fine as is, he's 800pts. I'm not really sure how to play this army against anything remotely competitive anymore.

Gonna hold out to see the OBR v StD supplement but the boney boys are calling me.I'll still paint my Chaos but I doubt they will see the outside of the display cabinet much.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Yeah as someone who also has a lot of tzeentch, it's looking like StD is going to be relegated to passion painting project and beerhammer. At least the models still rule.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah as someone who also has a lot of tzeentch, it's looking like StD is going to be relegated to passion painting project and beerhammer. At least the models still rule.

:negative:

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

If I'm trying to put together a list of big guy monsters (a la old 'nidzilla), which army and/or subfaction is best to look at? Small groups of big-ish guys that are in units (troggoths, ogors, etc.) are fine, but I'm hoping to avoid collecting and painting infantry blobs. It looks like Gloomspite troggoths might fit the bill, but it sounds like the Forge World hag is needed for it to work well, and I'm hoping to avoid Forge World purchases. I read that StD has some monster-heavy list options, but I'm too much an AoS outsider to understand the assessment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

queef anxiety posted:

Those Slaves changes are kinda bad although there was a lot of writing on the wall. No single exalted chariot units anymore and the varanguard nerf is really really rough. DP needed a nerf but I'm not sure this was the right way to do it. Archaon was fine as is, he's 800pts. I'm not really sure how to play this army against anything remotely competitive anymore.

Gonna hold out to see the OBR v StD supplement but the boney boys are calling me.I'll still paint my Chaos but I doubt they will see the outside of the display cabinet much.

I disagree the stuff still looks strong to me. Just not quite as absurdly strong as before. And with Archaon knowing the turn order is still very powerful.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The errata is just toning down the couple of bananas rules, Slaves is still probably very competitive. Daemon Princes are still very good, and the local guy who runs Archaeon and Varanguard crushes folks without having exploited any of the stuff that got changed (except Dark Prophecy, which kinda had to be changed). Varanguard marked Slaanesh deal damage like no one's business even if Archaon isn't on the table.

Also chaos marauders didn't change much at all, they're up there for best Chaos battleline unit.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
The tome wasn't even 'absurdly strong' to begin with outside of abusing the nurgle DP and blocks of marauders. If a guy was using Archaon and Varanguard i'm sure he was using two circles as the everchosen scroll allowed. It has now been made into an unplayable battalion considering how good 6th circle is. More so with no mixed weapons in a unit. Leader units are still strong as always for chaos but the rest of the units and battalion bonuses feel like jank to say the least. Knights don't hit particularly hard without multiple overlaying buffs, chaos warriors are OK but compared to say mortek offer little of use. Warcry units are situational at best if i'm trying to be nice. Shrine is still very good to be fair.

The fact our best battleline unit even after nurgle nerfs is the old marauder sculpts (anyone know when they were released?) doesn't make me keen to invest any further in them as an AoS 2.0 army. Maybe it would sting less if OBR weren't such a top tier faction in comparison as StD have been on the sidelines for a long time.

I'm not trying to say it's hot garbage all round, StD still has some teeth I just feel like it was a lazy way to change some fun rules to something..not so fun.

fake e: as always im happy to be proven wrong with the upcoming years tourney/meta shaking out.

real e: also i just bought 3 charioteers that I can't really use now with the changes and im salty

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 14, 2020

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

The Malthusian posted:

If I'm trying to put together a list of big guy monsters (a la old 'nidzilla), which army and/or subfaction is best to look at? Small groups of big-ish guys that are in units (troggoths, ogors, etc.) are fine, but I'm hoping to avoid collecting and painting infantry blobs. It looks like Gloomspite troggoths might fit the bill, but it sounds like the Forge World hag is needed for it to work well, and I'm hoping to avoid Forge World purchases. I read that StD has some monster-heavy list options, but I'm too much an AoS outsider to understand the assessment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ogres leading heavily into Beast Claw Raiders.
Gloomspite Troggoths.
Beast of Chaos Bullgors.
Flesh Eater Courts Blisterkin or Gristlegore
Ironjaws
Eel Based Deepkin

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

An anvilgard CoS army can get you hydras and kharibdyss as battleline + characters on dragons.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Skulls match

That metal doesn't look very seraphony though.

Probably orky

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Skulls match

That metal doesn't look very seraphony though.

Probably orky

It looks like a gutplate for ogres, op

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Business Gorillas posted:

It looks like a gutplate for ogres, op

That sounds right

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If that shield is the same size as an Ironbreaker shield, which it looks to be, that's FAR too large to be a gutplate.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Could be a new character with a giant gut

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Celtic Knot. It's a giant's shield.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't play Everchosen or Nurgle so none of the StD nerfs hit me and my Slaanesh Ravagers, except for no single model exalted charioteers but that already felt like I was getting away with something and not at all intended, nor was it a huge boon anyway.

I don't know, I feel people's pain over the Nurgle DP nerf but when something is so good it becomes an auto-take I'd rather not have it around. I still don't think Archaon is worth his points but I didn't think he was pre-nerf either. This is all easy for me to say as someone who never planned to build my army in these directions but I feel like by and large StD continues to play just as it did, sans the obviously broken stuff.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Speaking of OP i'm interested to see how long the current Changehost rules for Tzeentch battalion lasts. Seems disgusting currently being able to port 9 flamers and 20 pinks in front of an enemy and having almost guaranteed turn priority with the one drop.

e: also I assume the rumour engine is from the hinted at Giants being released 'soon'

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Giants is going to be weird. Presumably it'll be the Imperial Knights equivalent for AoS? There's a lot of ability to play monster-focused lists already, so apart from supplying a cardboard cutout of a dead giant for the Timber! rule I'm not sure what gargants bring to the table.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

The Deleter posted:

Giants is going to be weird. Presumably it'll be the Imperial Knights equivalent for AoS? There's a lot of ability to play monster-focused lists already, so apart from supplying a cardboard cutout of a dead giant for the Timber! rule I'm not sure what gargants bring to the table.

The ability to Rotate Ion Shields :grin:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Rotate gross old man tiddy

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Wizard posted:

The ability to Rotate Ion Shields :grin:

Adjust Loincloth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Deleter posted:

Well from the sound of it, it was smart Hyshan Giants, not drunk stupid giants.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 15, 2020

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart
Another Chunky boy, sadly the failcast chains came absolutely destroyed. one more finecast model to go but I'm actually looking forward to painting a firebelly

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
LVO lists are up. Quite surprised at some of the Tzeentch lists. Few StD, no surprises at the amount of OBR.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That blood cauldron looks disgusting.

Good work.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Teclis is back with an army!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/17/the-return-of-teclisgw-homepage-post-1/

I wonder if that means that we will eventually get a Tyrion themed army...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well they did tease the Pointy Elves a couple of weeks ago and had a clear and obvious image of the old Teclis art and mentioned he's a god now.
So signs are pointing to yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Pointy elves are going to wreck my wallet. Anyone wanna buy a big bunch of Bonereapers?