Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

well then i'd assume you're suffering from some kind of paranoia

a properly functioning browser is one that by default breaks pages and you make them work by allowing the bare minimum of stuff through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It would be really great if the world could stop taking a giant loving dump on me

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

gently caress my can opener's gone and now the dinner I was cooking is ruined everything loving sucks

use the laptop as a can opener

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

ok

well? where is it?

it's coming, i just need to make a couple more passes on the ball torture scenes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Can-Without-a-Can-Opener

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

use the laptop as a can opener

it's a shame they don't have an old optiplex, those were full of sharp edges whose seemingly only function was to harvest flesh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is very kind but my dinner was already ruined while I was having a breakdown.

I'm sorry to all of you for having to put up with this :/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Weedle posted:

ok just plan for them. every time your pc runs out of memory, which with 4GB is often, it has to switch over to virtual memory which is absolutely slow as frozen dog poo poo if you have an hdd. eventually this will make you want to kill yourself

"make you want to kill yourself"

translation: Your computer works the way all computers did a few years ago, and every once in awhile when you context switch, the computer takes 30 seconds to load something.

If you have an SSD its not even a problem.

OSes are really really good at managing virtual memory because we've been doing it for like 40 years.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

This is very kind but my dinner was already ruined while I was having a breakdown.

Hey dont worry about it, we all need a place to vent once in a while.

Can you return the laptop?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xegaus posted:

Yeah its bad, especially if i'm watching any kind of video. I like Chrome a lot too and if it was a problem at 32 gb then I'd definitely switch to Firefox. But hey it lets me brag about having 32 GB of ram in my rig that does jack poo poo for gaming!

Install The Great Suspender already

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en

Memory usage goes away! This one simple trick RAM manufacturers don't want you to know! (or use firefox)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Pervert detected

what's perverted about this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hopper posted:

Serious question, what do people who have 50+ Tabs open think bookmarks are for? I get irritated when my tab count reaches 10 open tabs because my ocd doesn't like overcrowded poo poo like that...

bookmarks are for long term things. Sometimes there's lots of stuff you're working with but eventually you'll be done with it all.

But that's what OneTab is for :)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i assume the great suspender is the one suspender a 1920's hobo has on to keep his pants up

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

there seems to be, at any given time, always a reason for me to have both firefox and chrome installed. i've switched multiple times over the years for many reasons as to which one is my main browser but there's always some little thing that ensures that i keep both installed.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I know that I'm never annoyed or feel like I'm "having to put up with" people venting in games chat. Life is hard enough as it is an our communities should be willing to support us when we're down. We all have terrible, awful, no-good, very bad days and it helps to just put that poo poo out into the ether. If it feels like it helps to just go off about it with your forums friends, by all means go off about it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

If you have an SSD its not even a problem.

yeah thats why i said they should get one

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I know that I'm never annoyed or feel like I'm "having to put up with" people venting in games chat. Life is hard enough as it is an our communities should be willing to support us when we're down. We all have terrible, awful, no-good, very bad days and it helps to just put that poo poo out into the ether. If it feels like it helps to just go off about it with your forums friends, by all means go off about it.

Thank you. I'm just so loving tired of being me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i assume the great suspender is the one suspender a 1920's hobo has on to keep his pants up

lmao

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the HDD to SSD conversion is by far the most significant step forward in computer-human relations in the past 10 years

meanwhile we must purge the vile printer horde from this earth; death to all printers

except the Game Boy Printer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wouldn't even say conversion, the ideal situation is both. Have an SSD with your OS, core apps and virtual memory page, and then have a fat-rear end platter HDD where you store all your music and movies and other games.

Course we're moving towards a world where the HDD solution will be replaced by the Cloud. But I still trust a local magnetic drive more.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Cowcaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z22twh2uxAw

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I got 16gb of memory so that I will never have to think about memory usage or do anything to mitigate it

so far it has worked

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 17, 2020

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Man, I never realized until recently how so many 90s PC games had grim intros

Another classic (with an actual somewhat happy ending!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBSOTYT2c4

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I wouldn't even say conversion, the ideal situation is both. Have an SSD with your OS, core apps and virtual memory page, and then have a fat-rear end platter HDD where you store all your music and movies and other games.

Course we're moving towards a world where the HDD solution will be replaced by the Cloud. But I still trust a local magnetic drive more.

games go on the ssd you dummy

load times suck

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i went all ssd about a year ago and i've never been freer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's kind of like how if you've taken shits in outhouses your whole life it doesn't seem that bad, but now you've had indoor plumbing for a few years and not only have you realized how much better it is, somehow your diet has changed to one that an outhouse is unequipped to deal with

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anybody here playing DBZ: Karrot Cake?

Andrast posted:

load times suck

"core apps" includes games you're playing the most right now ;)

HDD games are things in deep storage you play once in awhile, or old games that load fast anyways

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I have my OS on an SSD but have magnetic storage for everything else. I got caught right before SSD prices started dropping fast. I should think about grabbing a bigger boot drive and a storage-sized SSD for games I frequently play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I have my OS on an SSD but have magnetic storage for everything else. I got caught right before SSD prices started dropping fast. I should think about grabbing a bigger boot drive and a storage-sized SSD for games I frequently play.

One thing we should really talk about is SATA SSD vs NVMe SSDs.

Y'all got M.2 drives or you still using the big chunky laptop drives?

I kinda snoozed on M.2 for a few years and then felt like an idiot when I realized I should have bought one long ago instead of the SATA drives I'd been buying.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Happy to report that I've got takeout for the second day in a row so my evening is looking up. Hopefully soon I will be able to play video games like I was planning to do when I first got home three hours ago!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Rarity posted:

Happy to report that I've got takeout for the second day in a row so my evening is looking up. Hopefully soon I will be able to play video games like I was planning to do when I first got home three hours ago!

What game from 2009 are you playing?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing we should really talk about is SATA SSD vs NVMe SSDs.

Y'all got M.2 drives or you still using the big chunky laptop drives?

I kinda snoozed on M.2 for a few years and then felt like an idiot when I realized I should have bought one long ago instead of the SATA drives I'd been buying.

m.2 is a form factor, sata and nvme are bus interfaces. m.2 ssds can be sata or nvme

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Weedle posted:

somehow your diet has changed to one that an outhouse is unequipped to deal with

How does this work exactly

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Awesome Animals posted:

What game from 2009 are you playing?

I wish I was on 2009! I'm still deep on Radiant Dawn (early 2008)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the two 1TB and 750GB ssds i have are both sata and only about the size of a few credit cards stacked together or a smartphone

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How does this work exactly

i have no idea, i'm not a poopologist. it's an analogy for the fact that a lot of contemporary software doesn't make much of an effort to be efficient with disk access because it assumes it's running on flash storage

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Rarity posted:

I wish I was on 2009! I'm still deep on Radiant Dawn (early 2008)

Oh. that's right!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Andrast posted:

load times suck

Reminder that a runner at the latest GDQ went almost an hour under estimate because they've been speedrunning DMCV on an HHD and the GDQ setup uses an SSD.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Reminder that a runner at the latest GDQ went almost an hour under estimate because they've been speedrunning DMCV on an HHD and the GDQ setup uses an SSD.

i'm surprised they don't have some rule about how the storage in your console has to be exactly as slow as what it ships with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Weedle posted:

m.2 is a form factor, sata and nvme are bus interfaces. m.2 ssds can be sata or nvme

yeah that's why I said nvme in my post :v:

wtf weedle :goonsay: point is if you're only doing big drives then nvme isn't even an option you're aware of. But I went out of my way to say nvme vs ssd so yeah I fuckin' get it mate.