Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

oh god I recognize that second guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

blatman posted:

oh god I recognize that second guy

That’s nice, Dad.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

RCarr posted:

That’s nice, Dad.

If he's who I think he is, he was boxing a group on live for awhile but didn't really like to talk about his EQ shennanigans to people which is entirely understandable. This was in..2015 I think? so before this batch of TLPs. Anyway, good to know that EQ people actually exist and aren't just a fable like the mothman, makes me feel good about my choice of hobbies

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s Michael Rapaport.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Ice T and Michael Rapaport were/are part of some lovely D list celebrity site where they'll record personalized videos for very little money, so naturally the obvious step was to get them to record guild competition messages.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

It's super creepy seeing exact carbon copies of people I know show up as bad internet personalities, I don't like it and it makes me worried that I knew internet people in the real world

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Website is cameo.com, and yeah someone spent $250 for each video or whatever for Ice T to come up with some trash talk, and there were like 3 separate Ice T videos, ones bought from each side. Michael Rappaport was $150 iirc.

Here is the thread where most of the back and forth was posted https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/everquest-20th-anniversary-tlp.10627/page-57 and there was even an article or two up on MMORPG when it happened.

https://www.mmorpg.com/everquest/news/two-everquest-guilds-ramp-up-anniversary-fight-with-ice-t-talkin-smack-1000051738

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Holy poo poo it's only $150 to get Gilbert Gottfried, I feel like this website is simultaneously the best and worth thing on the internet and if I had more disposable income I'd drop a bunch of cash to convince my guild that I'm actually the parrot from Aladdin

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Daybreak splits into 3 studios for specific IPs -- PlanetSide, EverQuest, and DC Universe. Daybreak to remain publisher. Holly Longdale helming Darkpaw studio (EQ IP).

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/21/21069503/daybreak-games-everquest-planetside-dc-universe-online-h1z1-new-studios

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?

gepgepgep posted:

Daybreak splits into 3 studios for specific IPs -- PlanetSide, EverQuest, and DC Universe. Daybreak to remain publisher. Holly Longdale helming Darkpaw studio (EQ IP).

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/21/21069503/daybreak-games-everquest-planetside-dc-universe-online-h1z1-new-studios

Ok, let's play the "Is this good or bad" game.

I vote good. Between the 3 IPs, I can't imagine Everquest not being the top earner. Maybe they'll get better resources?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Any answer other than avoid litigation is incorrect.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
They're still all owned by that Russian oligarch, money launderer, right?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Yeah those dudes are their publisher still

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'm actually looking forward to the IP going somewhere else, but it will probably be Tencent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

blatman posted:

Yeah those dudes are their publisher still

I thought the Russian dudes divested their ownership of Daybreak around the time they get hit by the UN sanctions.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Honestly I might be completely wrong, you're probably right

I kind of feel like Daybreak only exists as a money laundering tool and then they found out that some of the games still turn a profit if they do nostalgia cash-ins constantly

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apparently the actual ownership is murky at best;

In April 2018, Viktor Vekselberg, a Russian businessman and owner of portfolio company Renova Group, was sanctioned by the United States Department of the Treasury as part of an investigation on Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections.[26] Columbus Nova had previously identified itself as an affiliate of Renova Group, while Renova Group had listed Columbus Nova as part of its corporate structure.[27] Subsequently, it was believed that Columbus Nova, and consequently Daybreak, had also been affected by these sanctions. Daybreak subsequently began to deny that it had been sold to Columbus Nova, stating that the company had actually been acquired by Jason Epstein through his company Inception Acquisitions, LLC instead. At the time of the acquisition, Epstein had been a partner to Columbus Nova, though he left that company in 2017. A Daybreak spokesperson claimed that Epstein's exact ties to Columbus Nova had caused confusion in media reporting of the sale, even though its deleted press release made the same claim.[28][29][30][31] Columbus Nova also stated that it had never been owned by Renova Group, though Renova Group had been their largest client.[32]

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

And it all comes back to Epstein...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Epstein died for Everquest's sins

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don’t be ridiculous, EQ is 21 now. Epstein lost all interest in the game years ago.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Does anyone know what lowbie pets are like for bst/mag/nec on TLP servers these days? I know they got a serious rebalancing years ago but I'm having trouble finding numbers or even anecdotes, I basically want to know if they're as strong as they were back in the day or not in the 1-60 range

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Short answer: no. They’re not nearly as strong as they used to be. I’ve got a mage coming up on coirnav right now and before I got a pet focus my pets felt like wet tissue.

I would suggest that necro pets are probably the best off because of the kiting playstyle, however they never received the DoT revamp that other classes like Druids and Shamans got, so they wind up needing to have like 2 spell bars worth of DoTs saved to rotate between.

I’m not on AAs yet and I hear that’s a turning point for them from much more experienced players of the class. Basically, the pet won’t solo for you, however they’re still decent dps on their own.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Necro pets are terrible, mage pets are good.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I really hope they do the necro dot revamp before the next TLP launch, I love the class but god drat is it unrewarding to play regardless of era compared to basically every other class. Kinda jarring because last time I played a necro you could just give the pet daggers and it became a mob blender

I think I'm gonna go mage on the next TLP though, maybe mage druid 2box for ports and PLing future alts because I don't seem to recall early-era mages having good pet heals

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

blatman posted:

I really hope they do the necro dot revamp before the next TLP launch, I love the class but god drat is it unrewarding to play regardless of era compared to basically every other class.

I never understood this specific complaint-- I played necro from vanilla through Luclin on mangler and was on every top10 parse up until I stopped logging in. I was always told the above complaint as if it were the facts of life, but yeah.. I completely disagree. The pet is garbage, yes, but dots are extremely strong. Only fire immune bosses are bad for necro.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The problems become real obvious in PoP and beyond from what my Necro friend has told me

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ah that would make sense. Looking ahead, pop didn’t add anything good spell wise, and zero dot AAs were in luclin so falling off around pop seems logical.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Next Tuesday theres a 24 hour 'one-off' downtime on EQ for a one-time data migration.

I'd like to get some bonus exp for this !

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

blatman posted:

I really hope they do the necro dot revamp before the next TLP launch,

They might eventually do it...

blatman posted:

before the next TLP launch,

lol no way.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Real talk if they fixed the fire dots to be a single dot, necro would be even stronger in classic era than it already is (very). It would also have the hilarious side effect of allowing Necros to never change spell gems. You reserve 3-4 gems just for fire dots since they all stack. One fire, one poison, one disease, lifetap, FD, Harmshield. Two floating gems.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
*coughEnchanterscough*

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The new patchnotes on Test are showing LDON is being reduced to 8 weeks on progression servers - One change I'm very happy to see !

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

Real talk if they fixed the fire dots to be a single dot, necro would be even stronger in classic era than it already is (very). It would also have the hilarious side effect of allowing Necros to never change spell gems. You reserve 3-4 gems just for fire dots since they all stack. One fire, one poison, one disease, lifetap, FD, Harmshield. Two floating gems.

Outside of kiting HG's, when were Necros ever strong in classic?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Necros were pretty good with the original pets, fine steel daggers turned joboner into a blender

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tai posted:

Outside of kiting HG's, when were Necros ever strong in classic?

Every target other than naggy. This continues through velious. Every target that is not fire immune is a necro top parse.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
They're great at soloing some top cash camps in classic as well. FD, lifetap, and undead charm all couple well with mez/fear for FBSS and SMR krono farming.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

gepgepgep posted:

They're great at soloing some top cash camps in classic as well. FD, lifetap, and undead charm all couple well with mez/fear for FBSS and SMR krono farming.

Yeah! Lguk is the poo poo for a necro, and all the rave during classic.

Anyone who has played a TLP ever is also completely aware that efreeti is a solo for a 50 necro, if they aren’t well, yeah that’s a thing they can do. Sounds like more people need to roll a necro and learn how to watch dots.

I mean classic cash drops are all solo camps for necros. the class is the best solo krono farming class you can ask for in classic / kunark era because most the cash drops are off undead, or in zones you can charm an undead pet to beast mode it.

Or just you know, go to high pass keep and let your pet macro solo guards for you in the first two weeks of a TLP, and buy hundreds of krono.

All things a necro can do with FD just a button away.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Im still amazed to this day that people pay multiple krono for classic garbage items when these servers roll around.. Some utility items that have longevity and a short window of availability I can kinda see, but anybody dropping them for poo poo like a FBSS is just a tool. I guess most people playing the game at this point have thousands of them.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Don't forget they can also solo all their fear gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
People pay krono for loot rights for rotting Planar gear in classic instead of just farming one of the 8 Hate picks for it with a group.