Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I like in the first fight in Witcher, which starts with him slow motion deflecting a crossbow bolt, actually has him do it again at full speed as almost an off hand parry a few seconds later. Shows both Geralt’s skill (doesn’t need to be concentrating to deflect bolts) and also shows the crossbowman isn’t standing there gaping after his first shot missed, he reloaded and tried again when Geralt was distracted which is decent tactics even if it didn’t work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Cavill was apparently seriously into the combat aspect of the show. They rehearsed fight scenes a ton, but also made sure that there was a point to the moves. He's given some interviews on it.

I get the intent, and also understand they've got a balancing act between what looks good, homages to the game fighting style, and lastly Cavil's and I'd imagine the choreographer's desire for it to be realistic, but lets not get carried away with the idea that its especially realistic. Its super entertaining (the most important aspect for it to be) so in that regards they really knocked it out of the park.

Skallagrim did a so-so summary of the big fight at the end of the 1st episode, and I mostly agree with his take on it (if anyone's interested in which parts fit into the 'realistic' or 'un-realistic' categories).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUPfy04uwo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It irks me in virtually every lightsaber fight how they almost always aim for the air around their targets just to make sure there are lots of flourishes.

What I really want is a duel where we see both of them using the force to predict how the battle will draw out and then the actual fight is two moves that ends in a death.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did those fights for real, that makes them realistic.

Did that Youtube guy ever fight a Witcher? Probably not.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, Sanjuro?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

So, Sanjuro?

For those that haven't seen it, one of the best movie duels ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfpagB8wWng

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I geek out a fair bit about movie/tv swordfighting and I have hunted for the best examples I can find (in regards to realism).

This is the top of my list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI

I believe its a fight choreography group and they made this (along with other) vignette's showing off their stuff.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Inzombiac posted:

What I really want is a duel where we see both of them using the force to predict how the battle will draw out and then the actual fight is two moves that ends in a death.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows then? :v:

AmmoniumAcetate
Sep 23, 2003
Don't mess with Earth

Inzombiac posted:

It irks me in virtually every lightsaber fight how they almost always aim for the air around their targets just to make sure there are lots of flourishes.

While trying to justify my Disney+ subscription, I watched through Star Wars Rebels. Obiwan and Maul have a final confrontation. After a fair bit of build up, the fight was just a couple of quick moves and down goes Maul. I thought it was really cool. Like something out of an old samurai film.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pilchenstein posted:

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows then? :v:

Yes. That was awesome.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

While trying to justify my Disney+ subscription, I watched through Star Wars Rebels. Obiwan and Maul have a final confrontation. After a fair bit of build up, the fight was just a couple of quick moves and down goes Maul. I thought it was really cool. Like something out of an old samurai film.

Its fantastic. Go watch the first Phantom Menace fight again with Obiwan and Maul and then watch the Rebels fight. Obiwan goes into the same stance from Phantom and Maul subtly acknowledges/recognizes it (and thinks he's going to take advantage of it) but Obiwan just does it to bait Maul and kills him with a totally unexpected counterblow. Its like poetry.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Winds howling

Ominous whoosh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

The little move Maul tries in that fight, a jab to the face with his hilt, is how he killed Qui-Gon. The bash to the face stunned him, then he got stabbed. It doesn't work on Obi-Wan because he remembers it, and cuts Maul's saber in half and kills him in the same swipe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

If you watch the scene back, you can see Obi Wan start in his Ewan McGregor stance from the prequels. Then, he makes a point of switching to Qui-Gon's stance. Maul sees that, and goes for the exact move that he killed Qui-Gon with, where he uses the hilt to knock him silly and then go for the kill. But Obi Wan is ready for it and slices down through the middle just as Maul thrusts the hilt towards his face.

ha, beaten

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't Darth Maul die in Phantom Menace? Did they just glue him back together or something?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't Darth Maul die in Phantom Menace? Did they just glue him back together or something?

Yeah, basically

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pretty much.

He survives, ends up on a trash planet, and builds himself spider legs. It was the Clone Wars cartoon that brought him back at first.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Robot stuff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Very well then.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

And we're getting a Obi-Wan series with Ewan McGregor which should be pretty awesome given that he's the best part of the prequels. I think it's being run by one of the women that did a few Mandalorian episodes? Could be wrong on that.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Aphrodite posted:

Pretty much.

He survives, ends up on a trash planet, and builds himself spider legs. It was the Clone Wars cartoon that brought him back at first.

Yeah not to be pedantic but afterwards shouldn't he have been known as Darth Mauled?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Maul is a rare case where bringing back a villain actually added some extra dimension to him and greatly improved his character. I liked how when they brought him back he was really bitter about having been used as a Sith stooge.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fartington Butts posted:

And we're getting a Obi-Wan series with Ewan McGregor which should be pretty awesome given that he's the best part of the prequels. I think it's being run by one of the women that did a few Mandalorian episodes? Could be wrong on that.

I only care if he fights Darth Maul's brother Savage Opress.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Aleph Null posted:

Yes. That was awesome.
:agreed:

I think they're making another one of those and I hope they've got the sense to bring Jared Harris back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Guys Darth Maul hadn't been back for years they only just pulled him out of thin air for Solo, geez didn't you get the memo from angry Star Wars fans last year? :rolleyes:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Inzombiac posted:

This is what I liked about the sequel duels. At least in TFA, it felt more visceral and like Rey was trying to go for a kill.

RotJ's duel is like that, too. Luke is just bashing on Vader at the end.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
But magic legs doesn’t change the fact that he wasn’t cut off at the legs. Did Darth Mauled get magic large intestines and maybe a new robot dick?

Also did Obi slice him top to bottom this time or was it just in half again?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He’s not human, guess he didn’t need that lower half to survive.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

His species keeps their dicks on top of their head.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
None of this is any less dumb than the official reason, which I believe is "he didn't die cause he was really angry" :v:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

rydiafan posted:

His species keeps their dicks on top of their head.

I'd hate to be sitting behind one at the movies.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pilchenstein posted:

:agreed:

I think they're making another one of those and I hope they've got the sense to bring Jared Harris back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buE_jLEZrf4

I've heard they are making another one as well. I've been hearing that for the last few years.

Edit: subtle moment. Holmes closes his eyes because he wants the last thing he sees before he (probably) dies to be his best friend, Watson. Moriarty never imagined that Sherlock Holmes had it in him to sacrifice himself for the love of a dear friend. And that's why he lost.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Jan 17, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krispy Wafer posted:

But magic legs doesn’t change the fact that he wasn’t cut off at the legs. Did Darth Mauled get magic large intestines and maybe a new robot dick?

Also did Obi slice him top to bottom this time or was it just in half again?

Lightsabers cauterize any wound they make so all he needs to do is...

You see, The Force is mysterious and...

The Sith have many powers...

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Len posted:

Guys Darth Maul hadn't been back for years they only just pulled him out of thin air for Solo, geez didn't you get the memo from angry Star Wars fans last year? :rolleyes:

Oh poo poo yeah I saw that in theaters, and when darth maul popped up I went "oh wow darth maul" and then havent thought about it since. I wonder if maul ever makes it to the big screen again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DandyLion posted:

Its fantastic. Go watch the first Phantom Menace fight again with Obiwan and Maul and then watch the Rebels fight. Obiwan goes into the same stance from Phantom and Maul subtly acknowledges/recognizes it (and thinks he's going to take advantage of it) but Obiwan just does it to bait Maul and kills him with a totally unexpected counterblow. Its like poetry.

It's very well broken down by the actor who plays Maul, he's super into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrkFj6iepMs

And pay attention to the musical cues, the soundtrack is doing some very heavy lifting in this scene.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Darth Maul was the best part of Episode 1. Well, except for all that trade talk. I bet economists were absolutely stoked with some galactic macroeconomics.

The Mandalorian too with the parts about cost versus returns on bounty hunting, the exchange rates of various credit currencies, and the prevalence of a barter economy in post-Empire marketplaces.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It was imperative that someone very handsome played Geralt in The Witcher and I think they did a very good job in that aspect of the scenario

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buE_jLEZrf4

I've heard they are making another one as well. I've been hearing that for the last few years.

Edit: subtle moment. Holmes closes his eyes because he wants the last thing he sees before he (probably) dies to be his best friend, Watson. Moriarty never imagined that Sherlock Holmes had it in him to sacrifice himself for the love of a dear friend. And that's why he lost.

I liked those a lot (especially the score) and if they're really gonna make another then I'm down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Darth Maul was the best part of Episode 1. Well, except for all that trade talk. I bet economists were absolutely stoked with some galactic macroeconomics.

That's actually one of the subtle things about Episode 1. There's not enough Jedi to cover the Republic, so why are two of them assigned to a trade dispute on a minor planet? Answer: because trade disputes on minor planets are as bad as it gets. The prequels are the transition from a Golden Age to a Dark Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And to bring it back around, the choreographer on Episode 1 had to reteach Liam Neeson how to fake swordfight, because he'd just come off of the much more realistic Rob Roy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmM5l2ceoY

Meanwhile, somebody else had to teach Ewan not to make the lightsaber noises with his mouth