Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

At least those are Tamiya F1 cars. They're delightful compared to revels 1/24 cars. So many curves. So many decals. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I just wanted to vent here real quick. I'm building the worst model I've ever built - the first poor quality one I've ever built in fact - and it's driving me slightly crazy. The sprues aren't numbered, the directions are vague, the parts are poo poo quality, everything has a crazy amount of flash on it.

If you guys want a crapkit build - Lorraine 38L, by RPM models.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That looks like a great crapkit build alright.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

:swoon: these are 3 of my all time favorite cars! I’d love to see close ups if you have some.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

might get back into this, i’ve got my old meng t-90a on a shelf taunting me, it’s been a few years

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Space Jam posted:

might get back into this, i’ve got my old meng t-90a on a shelf taunting me, it’s been a few years

Is that the one that came with a medal and Putin on a bear?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tallkidwithglasses posted:

:swoon: these are 3 of my all time favorite cars! I’d love to see close ups if you have some.

I'll try and get some tomorrow.

Managed to order some replacment decals for the Porsche 934 that I was building last year till a couple of different things hosed up painting black detail on the body then the masking tape ripped the decals off the body. It's a cool looking car so I don't want to bin it. They should be here in 4-6 weeks or so then I can finish the thing and move on with my life.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Dumb question but does the Tamiya clear coat that comes in the little jars work ok through an airbrush? Also does anyone know any good primers that work in an airbrush?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yes after it’s been thinned and tamiya has primer in bottles that that can also be thinned and airbrushed

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Charliegrs posted:

Dumb question but does the Tamiya clear coat that comes in the little jars work ok through an airbrush? Also does anyone know any good primers that work in an airbrush?

1. Yes, it does, so long as you think it a little with 91% isopropyl alcohol or Tamiya acrylic thinner. It's a bit too thick straight out of the jar.

2. Right now I am partial to using Tamiya surface primer or GSI creos surfacer, both lacquer primers. They are very strong and go on smooth. Previously I was using badger stynylrez black primer, which is probably the only worthwhile (durable and thin) acrylic primer for airbrushing. I would recommend the former two options if you are comfortable with spraying lacquer paints, since I find they're much easier to get right. Stynylrez is good but cleaning out the gunk when you're done spraying is much more of a pain, and it has a tendency to chip if you handle a primed model too aggressively.

Don't bother with Vallejo/other brand acrylic primers or enamel primers. The former are far too delicate and/or thick, and the latter take far too long to cure.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah. Works best when you use a leveling thinner though

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah clear coats need leveler so the finish comes out nice

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is that the one that came with a medal and Putin on a bear?

At first I thought you were kidding but...

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm looking at getting a new airbrush to replace the siphon feed one that cam with the compressor. It works ok but is a pain to clean between colours so I only tend to use it occasionally. Is the iwata neo a decent enough brush for the price? I'd like to get a paasche talon but the budget doesn't extend far enough for that. The other option is something like a hseng but I don't want to waste my money on something that isn't usable.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My dad has an iwata and I love it (not sure if it's a neo). Personally I prefer an integrated cup because a removable one has a screw thread which can accumulate gunk (requiring extra cleaning). As an airbrush though, it's very nice. I don't know if the one you're looking at has a trigger lock but hopefully it does because I find that a nice feature so as not to overpull the trigger.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm looking at getting a new airbrush to replace the siphon feed one that cam with the compressor. It works ok but is a pain to clean between colours so I only tend to use it occasionally. Is the iwata neo a decent enough brush for the price? I'd like to get a paasche talon but the budget doesn't extend far enough for that. The other option is something like a hseng but I don't want to waste my money on something that isn't usable.

The neo is a non-made in Japan iwata. It's a step above a normal chinese airbrush, but it's not like the main iwata line. Depending on your market, you might want to look into Tamiya or Mr Hobby since they're made by the same japanese manufacturer as iwata.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

if you only have $50, a Neo is quite fine. If you can spare an extra $20-30, I would recommend a Badger Patriot 105 above it, and if you have any higher budget I would go for an Iwata Eclipse.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I dont think hes in the US. Badger's relative value goes down significantly outside of the states.

The eclipse is good, but for 130 you could grab a Mr Hobby Platinum (HP-Ch equivalent) .2 or .3 and save 20 or 30.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah I'm in Australia so have to pay more for simple things like airbrushes. In the sub $100 category I basically have 3 options: The iwata neo, Sparmax dh-103 or something from China. Theres a website that has a patriot 105 on special for $140 instead of $200 or an iwata revolution for $130 instead of $200.
Basically I'd like to spend less than $100 on something to improve my efficency with kits but without breaking the bank.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Yeah I'm in Australia so have to pay more for simple things like airbrushes. In the sub $100 category I basically have 3 options: The iwata neo, Sparmax dh-103 or something from China. Theres a website that has a patriot 105 on special for $140 instead of $200 or an iwata revolution for $130 instead of $200.
Basically I'd like to spend less than $100 on something to improve my efficency with kits but without breaking the bank.

Yeah thats a pretty rough set of choices. The Revolution is probably the best value of the bunch, unless the Neo is like under 70AUD

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Symetrique posted:

Yeah thats a pretty rough set of choices. The Revolution is probably the best value of the bunch, unless the Neo is like under 70AUD

It's $90 so I'll probably go with a revolution. The next price bracket starts at $200 aud which is rather crappy. Buying from Japan isn't an option anymore either because they tack on 10% GST so it works out to be basically the same price as it would be from Australia as I found out when I last ordered a model kit from 1999.co.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I just got a Harder & Steenbeck and I have to say that a free floating nozzle is amazing. It's actually possible to clean it

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It's $90 so I'll probably go with a revolution. The next price bracket starts at $200 aud which is rather crappy. Buying from Japan isn't an option anymore either because they tack on 10% GST so it works out to be basically the same price as it would be from Australia as I found out when I last ordered a model kit from 1999.co.

Ouch yeah. Thats way too much for a Neo.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Thanks to Arquinsiel's recommendation, I picked up a couple of S-model tank kits in 1/72. They're pretty good! The detail isn't the finest in the world, but they assemble simply and sturdily, I had to do a minimal amount of finishing for final assembly, and they come with some pretty nice decals and PE. The T-26 even came with a brass barrel, which was a nice surprise.

They're not the most perfect kits in the world, but for two tanks in a box for under twenty bucks, they're hard to beat. I'd say they're a hair or two less well-engineered than the same-scale Hasegawa tanks I've built, but vastly better value.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm glad you like them. I like how wide and non-Eurocentric their range is.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So tempted to pick up one of the badgers in the sale. Just having a dedicated fine detail brush I dont need to take apart just to put a smaller needle in would be so nice but it is rather a big purchase right before brexit potentially fucks everything :v: Goblin like shiny though..just in seven months.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone have any experience with Hobby Link Japan? I'm looking for an obscure kit, and it's either a sketchy ebay seller or HLJ, which claims it's not in stock, but can be placed in my "personal warehouse" in 3 to 4 days, then shipped.

Would I ever actually get this item?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Hlj are pretty good in my experience. I've ordered Gunpla off them a number of times and always turned up quickly and well packaged.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Slugworth posted:

Anyone have any experience with Hobby Link Japan? I'm looking for an obscure kit, and it's either a sketchy ebay seller or HLJ, which claims it's not in stock, but can be placed in my "personal warehouse" in 3 to 4 days, then shipped.

HLJ is totally legit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slugworth posted:

They’re solid. Personal warehouse let’s you consolidate shipments, it’s useful if you preorder stuff that’s coming out a few weeks apart from each other, they’ll hold the earlier items for a few weeks so you only have to pay to ship one box when everything is available rather than multiple smaller boxes. You can also have them ship immediately if you’re only ordering one thing or everything in your order is currently available.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I think that's where we all got our crapcars from and I don't recall anyone having trouble. My only complaint was that I didn't get any tracking number and then the package just showed up one day on my doorstop without any markings on it at all.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Thanks everyone, I ended up finding it on a polish site instead. I'm sure it would have been fine, but since it wasn't currently in stock, HLJ wanted me to place the order without knowing what shipping would end up costing whenever they got it in stock. Sort of an odd setup.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's a little weird but you can normally work it out by checking what another similar item costs to ship. They don't charge you until you ship, so your warehouse is in a weird limbo where you can hypothetically completely change the order and that'd gently caress whatever cost you had paid.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

I think that's where we all got our crapcars from and I don't recall anyone having trouble. My only complaint was that I didn't get any tracking number and then the package just showed up one day on my doorstop without any markings on it at all.

I love getting packages from other countries. I ordered a set of resin turrets for my zvezda star destroyer and it showed up as a plastic envelope containing this:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The best is when you get something wrapped in a newspapers crossword puzzle.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I love getting packages from other countries. I ordered a set of resin turrets for my zvezda star destroyer and it showed up as a plastic envelope containing this:

My favorite is when the inside of the kit box is from another kit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Thanks everyone, I ended up finding it on a polish site instead. I'm sure it would have been fine, but since it wasn't currently in stock, HLJ wanted me to place the order without knowing what shipping would end up costing whenever they got it in stock. Sort of an odd setup.

Immediate ship will tell you the cost when you place the order.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Midjack posted:

Immediate ship will tell you the cost when you place the order.
I may have missed it, but that didn't seem to be an option since the item wasn't in stock yet. Only option was "Ship to my personal warehouse".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I may have missed it, but that didn't seem to be an option since the item wasn't in stock yet. Only option was "Ship to my personal warehouse".

Welp, either I remember wrong or they changed how they handle preorders when they redid the website several months ago. The last time I ordered something with ship on release they presented the shipping cost up front. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Midjack posted:

they changed how they handle preorders when they redid the website several months ago.

This is it. It no longer allows you to estimate shipping on out of stock or pre-order items. Speaking as someone who orders quite a bit from HLJ it's extremely annoying. I still use them I'm just more picky about what I purchase.