Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pilchenstein posted:

The impression I get from this tradwife stuff is "puritan D/s" :v:
yeah, call me If-Jesus-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned :whip:

e: 1687 - Solomon Stoddard advocates open Communion, liberalizing requirements to take Communion from those hat wearing high churchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of it seems to be that but I'd be less weirded out if it wasn't evangelical about it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, there's a big difference between "puritan D/s" and "puritan D/s and you should be as well"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is capitalism if not sociopolitical D/s which has recently wrapped right back around with findom.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

What is capitalism if not sociopolitical D/s which has recently wrapped right back around with findom.

Don't ruin my kinks like this.

How would findom work in a truly communist state?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
From each according to his ability, to each according to his submission.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

"I'll give you my government issued food stamp if you step on my balls"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I'm not sure it could in its current state, much like Guava noted with the marriage thing, the context in which it exists is a bit different, in that you are not literally the property of your husband any more so you're really not "doing it like it's 1959" and similarly if you couldn't actually starve to death from no money, whatever you were doing could not actually be findom as it exists in tyool 2020.

It'd be more like... voluntary hunger striking or something. It'd have to be self enforced, there would be no way for you to actually give up your means of subsistence to someone else no takesy backsies.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/rebeccarrrr/status/1218260422895329280?s=19

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ms Adequate posted:

Start guillotining people.

Nah guillotining people is bad.

Guillotine billionaires.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Reminder

MEATY GOONS

https://www.escapebarstratford.com/

2pm tomorrow. I'll be the one looking like Hagrid, wearing white specs, in some form of nerdy t-shirt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I was anywhere nearby I would show up so we could do the spiderman picture.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There's something horrible on the BBC right now

loving lol if the average household could cope with a single earner these days in the long term.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

Reminder

MEATY GOONS

2pm tomorrow. I'll be the one looking like Hagrid, wearing white specs, in some form of nerdy t-shirt.

Considering turning up for this, if that's ok? Got a load of fudge prep to do tomorrow morning, so will see how it goes on timing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord Ludikrous posted:

loving lol if the average household could cope with a single earner these days in the long term.
It probably could if you were willing to submit to a 50s (or interwar) working class standard of living, because while they were often single income households, they sure as hell weren't single worker households, the women just weren't getting any wages for washing, cooking, cleaning, childminding, and doing all manner of minor repair and maintenance jobs.

I'm willing to bet that these #tradwives aren't getting the mangle and wash copper out and fixing the gaslights while our Lucy puts new boards on the shitter outside though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

feedmegin posted:

Reminder

MEATY GOONS

Have fun everyone!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

Considering turning up for this, if that's ok? Got a load of fudge prep to do tomorrow morning, so will see how it goes on timing.

Ofc, just hope you can spot us, I forgot to bring some kind of a table marker.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Christian D/s people also like to call their stuff "Christian Domestic Discipline" because they can't just say they love spanking.

e; wrong Stratford ya bastards, upon-Avon one true Stratford! :black101:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 18, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Ofc, just hope you can spot us, I forgot to bring some kind of a table marker.
I'm sure there's somewhere that sells monster munch locally.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We used to have a DS but then we went to Switch.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There's something horrible on the BBC right now

Timely post from the schadenfeude thread:

quote:

In 1980 Terry Hekker wrote a book called Ever Since Adam and Eve that was all about the joys of staying home and being a wife and mother, and how that is a woman’s proper role. Then her husband divorced her after 40 years of marriage and she was given limited alimony and told to go to “job training” (at age 68). She then wrote another book called “Disregard First Book” about the importance of women maintaining financial independence.

First book: https://www.amazon.com/Ever-Since-Adam-Terry-Hekker/dp/0688034829

Second book: https://www.amazon.com/Disregard-Fi...d_p=5cfcfe89%85

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azza Bamboo posted:

:laugh:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure there's somewhere that sells monster munch locally.

Hmm. I might actually try that. Pickled onion ofc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Ok that one's actually very good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Reminder

MEATY GOONS

Huh, had no idea this was on, and I'll even be nearby at the time - but I'm at a demo before the West Ham game, then at the West Ham game, then going home to cry into a pillow about the West Ham game.

e: Do you think you'll still be about around 6?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Huh, had no idea this was on, and I'll even be nearby at the time - but I'm at a demo before the West Ham game, then at the West Ham game, then going home to cry into a pillow about the West Ham game.

I am moving to Barking and indeed went through West Ham station twice today, there will be further opportunities. 6 may be pushing it for me personally, dunno about others.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I am moving to Barking and indeed went through West Ham station twice today, there will be further opportunities. 6 may be pushing it for me personally, dunno about others.

West Ham play at Stratford in the old Olympic stadium, you might want to make sure you're either gone before 5 or wait until after 6 if you're hoping to get public transport.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Azza Bamboo posted:

:nice:

Also, I went to Stratford Upon Avon once, is it still the nicest place in the country? Even the fuckin police were nice to me :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmegin posted:

Reminder

MEATY GOONS

I live down the road, great pub. Not about tomorrow though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pilchenstein posted:

:nice:

Also, I went to Stratford Upon Avon once, is it still the nicest place in the country? Even the fuckin police were nice to me :v:

I've been a few times and yeah it's like, the stereotype of merrie olde Englande with Tudor and earlier buildings all over the place and stuff. Like, you feel like you're in a videogame when you trundle down a little alley and find a pub or a curiosity shop or something in a building that's been standing since Henry VI was losing the Continent in the Hundred Years' War.

Also this is one of the best bookshops I've ever been in: http://chaucerhead.com/ I could spend days just browsing. It's like going into a cramped bookshop in loving Morrowind :v: Sadly not run by actual Jobasha but

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 18, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

chaucerhead
I love that I can have some idiot thought come into my head from seeing this and there's already a youtube video to match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYu0WX3uak

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

I love that I can have some idiot thought come into my head from seeing this and there's already a youtube video to match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYu0WX3uak

Glad to see Coohoolin's being so experimental!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

I got home from work and it's taken 45 mind to come out of sleep mode and it's still not usable. How is a new computer this poo poo?
Apart from what was said about updates and poo poo, the first time Win10 systems boot they have to load everything. After that they use a weird hybrid of hibernating and shutting down so that the system files don't have to be loaded up each time. If it's finalising after first install, it could just be slow from all of this but 45 minutes to come out of sleep does not sound promising.

Leave it updating overnight, delete any bloatware, and then give it a couple of restarts, see how fast it is. If you're not happy then return it.

Or

Ms Adequate posted:

Start guillotining people.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I was just subjected to a half hour of Cobra on the telly at the in-laws' and hoo boy is that a big pile of shite. It's like they trained an AI on disaster films and twitter arguments then let it write a screenplay :v:

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

how likely is a WTO brexit?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

PawParole posted:

how likely is a WTO brexit?

Erm... Trump might have screwed any chance of that.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/08/wto-faces-crisis-over-settlement-disputes-unless-trump-backs-off

Computer touchers:

I'm clearing up my external hard drives and working through movies. I have one called Game 1 and it is showing an attribute of SD. Most of my movies are just attribute D, some are DA.
S means 'system' though doesn't it? I've scanned it with Avast and Malwarebytes, and no issue found, just a bit concerned that there might be something embedded in it.
The file is from the year 2000 - ahem and I've not watched it yet.

The film is on youtube so I could just delete it from my ehds but intrigued anyway if anyone has any idea.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd venture it's unlikely but with a new parliament we really haven't seen its character yet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Out of curiosity, are there any other goons from the Channel Islands here?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, whoops

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1218226089572605953?s=21

Lewis Goodall of the BBC also did an interestingly positive thread on RLB's launch event:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1218249774236827648?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Computer touchers:

I'm clearing up my external hard drives and working through movies. I have one called Game 1 and it is showing an attribute of SD. Most of my movies are just attribute D, some are DA.
S means 'system' though doesn't it? I've scanned it with Avast and Malwarebytes, and no issue found, just a bit concerned that there might be something embedded in it.
I would have said S is system but I thought D was directory so my knowledge might be out of date :v: