Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I want to expand my selection of colors a bit from the two starter Reaper sets I have. I'm specifically looking for a good purple and gold, at the very least. But I generally want more selection. What do you all think of this set?

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Basic-Colors-Paint-17ml/dp/B009162PWU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have heard people say the vma paints are fine to brush on. is that supposed to extend to vma metallics because my god, ive tried brushing vma gold and that poo poo will not sit still. idk if i am just bad or if they are in fact too thin to brush

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

VMA are fine to brush on. They're thinned for airbrush but that's also the consistency you want for a brush.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I want to expand my selection of colors a bit from the two starter Reaper sets I have. I'm specifically looking for a good purple and gold, at the very least. But I generally want more selection. What do you all think of this set?

Looks fine in isolation, but how many of those paints do you actually want? If you will use all of them, its about $2.50 per pot, which is decent (and I have liked the Vallejo paints I've tried personally, I'm low key in love with their flat yellow as a yellow paint that actually gets halfway decent coverage), so go for it. Most of the colours wont be exact matches for what you already have so give you more shades to play with (and my opinion you can never have too many shades of grey, brown or skin tone), but you almost certainly already have a black and white. If you wind up really only using the purple and gold, then you have effectively paid $20 per paint you actually use, which is obviously a waste. Once you have a set of basic colours (which it sounds like you have), I tend to recommend just buying the paints you need, as and when you need/want them. Know you are going to be painting a bunch of orks? Buy a dark green and a light green to go with the mid green you already have. A bunch of steampunk mechs in your to do pile? Brass paint buying time. Personally I'm also not much of a fan of buying paint based on photographs, I'd rather see the pot in person.

Of course, you might be in a different situation from me; I'm within fairly easy reach of a local games shop I like who stock paints (although their selection is somewhat scattershot between brands), and very easy reach of a GW, so its not a major hassle to pick up paints as and when I need them, and I kind of enjoy browsing and choosing the exact shade (which will often end up drying much differently from what I expect. Seeing the pot in person is my preference but I'm not sure its actually objectively useful). If you dont have a local shop/hate browsing/your local shop is poo poo and just want a one and done "now I have a bunch more paints", then I've certainly seen worse sets than that.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jesus WEP posted:

i have heard people say the vma paints are fine to brush on. is that supposed to extend to vma metallics because my god, ive tried brushing vma gold and that poo poo will not sit still. idk if i am just bad or if they are in fact too thin to brush

I have some VMA silver that I brush on and it works great. I bought it to highlight the gunmetal color that comes with the Start Painting Plague Marines kit but the contrast was too sharp so I got some Ironbreaker as an intermediate because that's what GW's website said was the proper highlight. Anyway I use Ironbreaker as a highlight and VMA silver as a final highlight and it works really well as long as I use a small brush. I haven't tried using any VMAs as base layers so ymmv.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm still toying with ideas for painting the CSM squad I bought, has anyone tried painting them light blue? My basic idea is to get a dark brown primer and then hit it with hairspray, then a light blue color for the armor, maybe a sky blue. Then I want to do some heavy weathering and chipping is a part of it. I think brown would look really good in the chipping to set off against the blue without just being black spaces where the armor's been damaged. Painting blue over brown might be a real pain in the rear end, however. I may use a GW spray paint for the primer but for the blues I'll go with a different brand, I like Vallejo stuff but I may go with Reaper or Scale 75 to try them out.

Anyway I'm just looking for a little experienced advice before I shell out for the paints.

edit: I'm also thinking about doing a martian style basing, the flat orangey red should contrast nicely to a bright blue and it seems like a pretty simple motif

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Some quick Hormagaunts:

Holy gently caress I have painted 38 models in 2020 so far.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 18, 2020

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

For golds I'd recommend either Citadel or Scale75. And for purples I mainly use a lot of the mainline Vallejo Model Color purples, there's a few different ones if you're looking for more warm or cool ones.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lizard
Man

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Cinara posted:

Oh yea for sure, from reading the page it sounds like it could be well over a month before it shows up, they don't even start handling orders for 20 days.

It took seven months to get the sotar I ordered in the last sale. As nice as their brushes are badger are completely incapable of handling the volume of orders they get during these events.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is it possible to buy the small creature bases for WizKids models? I can't find them online (Amazon or Miniatures Market). Does anyone know of any alternatives?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's not too often that I am very happy with how a figure turned out, but I am really in love with this model, and I think I did a good job on the painting. Might need to take some more camera shots, it hides a lot of the details. I need to learn how to take photos of miniatures, this is really the hardest part of the hobby. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

What's a solid airbrush/compressor to get started with airbrushing models?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I always recommend the Master Airbrush bundle for starting airbrushing. Comes with a great compressor and a starter airbrush. You'll eventually want to upgrade the airbrush if you wanna do more than priming and basecoats but the compressor will work great going forward.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Been painting more minis and trying out new colors. Finding that I still love painting red the most, but green is a close second. Just need to get some matte sealant to keep them from chipping.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I painted some skeletons this weekend:

These five will complete the unit of 10, the others of which I painted last weekend. I'll take a photo of them all together tomorrow, since units look better than individual models!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I know a lot of folks do the air brushing. Well it looks like GW is getting behind it. They're starting to do airbrush guides now on the Warhammer TV YouTube channel.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the o/u on the inevitable lovely new citadel airbrush is £150

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Werix posted:

I know a lot of folks do the air brushing. Well it looks like GW is getting behind it. They're starting to do airbrush guides now on the Warhammer TV YouTube channel.

The video in that blog post made me cringe super hard when they showed the citadel pot with paint pouring from it into the airbrush.

I think what I need to get started, is for someone to just tell me what to buy. Something that would be good for beginners. I am super intimidated by airbrushes and the equipment / paints that is necessary. I think what I really want is something that is just very easy to prime miniatures with.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

The video in that blog post made me cringe super hard when they showed the citadel pot with paint pouring from it into the airbrush.
Onto a prepared mix of thinner and flow improver, right? :ohdear:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I said come in! posted:

I think what I need to get started, is for someone to just tell me what to buy. Something that would be good for beginners. I am super intimidated by airbrushes and the equipment / paints that is necessary. I think what I really want is something that is just very easy to prime miniatures with.

When I went to a gw to buy some paint for airbrushing a bit ago the guy told me to do the same thing. Can only imagine corporate has them airbrushing at some insane psi to make sure it's ready out of the bottle

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pierzak posted:

Onto a prepared mix of thinner and flow improver, right? :ohdear:

It was just directly from the pot into the airbrush paint holder thingy. I just picture in my mind the ultra messy clean up of that pot, and all of the wasted paint.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I said come in! posted:

I bought these things and I've had no complaints. If you're only priming you can probably get away with the lovely airbrush that comes with the compressor, but you'll be happier with the badger.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N64M2HM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KHBL8TW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W84GTO

Any paint will be fine, but you'll want some airbrush thinner and flow improver

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002X6DTHK/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QD780G0/

This video taught me more than anything else about airbrushing

https://youtu.be/tsW-vN0_lHw

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 20, 2020

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

w00tmonger posted:

When I went to a gw to buy some paint for airbrushing a bit ago the guy told me to do the same thing. Can only imagine corporate has them airbrushing at some insane psi to make sure it's ready out of the bottle

You can spray citadel air paints neat at 15-20psi depending on the size of the needle.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I just base coated a bunch of Ultramarines with Citadel Air McCragge blue. I transferred the paint to a 30ml dropper bottle, added a bit of flow improver to get all the paint. I had no issues, I didn't add any additional flow improver or thinner and the base coat looks good to me. It is smooth and all the details are preserved. I have been using Vallejo air paints, but that GD McCragge blue is really hard to match in any other paint line.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It was just directly from the pot into the airbrush paint holder thingy. I just picture in my mind the ultra messy clean up of that pot, and all of the wasted paint.

Do what I do and just leave the leftover paint coating the paint cup of my cheap priming airbrush in geological layers.
(while the good H&S one lies unused because I'm afraid of ruining it)

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
I should really get a real airbrush at some point, I’m still using the cheap Chinese one that cost me like £10, it’s just so hard to justify spending when on when this one is functional, even if it’s nowhere near as nice as one from a company that actually care about the quality.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just use that one until it falls apart imo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A 10 man unit for an additional chapter to our DnD campaign. I really like them though, so maybe it'll be the start of an army!

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Been getting back into painting. Found some old sprues and kitbashed some renegade Alpha Legion dudes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Did 14 of these over the weekend, I have 7 left and a lord before I'll go through them all for a final passover. Once I get this 2000pts done it will be the first army I've ever fully painted and I'm really happy with how they are turning out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

A 10 man unit for an additional chapter to our DnD campaign. I really like them though, so maybe it'll be the start of an army!

I really love the yellow capes on these skellies.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I have no affiliation with this guy...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/droptop/droptop-by-drtabletop

It seems like it might be a valid way to use Citadel paints in your airbrush without going to all the trouble to dispense them into dropper bottle.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
So, started on my ork boyz for the army i'm putting together, managed to get two of them painted, second one still needs a bit of detail work for hilighting. The first one i'm happy with the way it came out. Still making progress.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question: I've thought about buying this airbrush [Central Pneumatic Deluxe Airbrush] to get some experience on how to use an airbrush without breaking the bank too much. I was thinking that if it wasn't suited for detail work, then at the very least, it would work well for priming models without using aerosol cans.

Is it worth $20, or would I be better off saving my money for a high-quality airbrush.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 21, 2020

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Question: I've thought about buying this airbrush [Central Pneumatic Deluxe Airbrush] to get some experience on how to use an airbrush without breaking the bank too much. I was thinking that if it wasn't suited for detail work, then at the very least, it would work well for priming models without using aerosol cans.

Is it worth $20, or would I be better off saving my money for a high-quality airbrush.

It's not the style of airbrush you want. That one feeds from a jar below, and for miniatures people usually use one that feeds from above. The OP of this thread has a lot of really good advise for airbrushing. You can get away with a cheaper kit but since the compressor and hood will cost you about $150, you may not want to skimp on the airbrush itself.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

goodness posted:

Did 14 of these over the weekend, I have 7 left and a lord before I'll go through them all for a final passover. Once I get this 2000pts done it will be the first army I've ever fully painted and I'm really happy with how they are turning out.

Nice. I like acid drips in the base. How long did it take you over the weekend to knock them out?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Booyah- posted:

It's not the style of airbrush you want. That one feeds from a jar below, and for miniatures people usually use one that feeds from above. The OP of this thread has a lot of really good advise for airbrushing. You can get away with a cheaper kit but since the compressor and hood will cost you about $150, you may not want to skimp on the airbrush itself.

We do have a compressor, but it's a pancake-style one which (from a quick search) doesn't sound like it's suited for an airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I would save for a better one. You don't have to break the bank, get a Patriot 105. It'll only set you back about $80, even cheaper if you find a sale.

I say this because I've never actually heard of someone who tried an airbrush and then went "Nah, not for me." I'm sure they're out there, but they're not in abundance. No point in spending $20 bucks on something made by "Central Pneumatic" that will just annoy you, when for under $100 you can get a really good airbrush that will treat you right and last for years to come.

And if for whatever reason you didn't really like airbrushing, and you only wanted a cheapy for basing and priming, I would go with something dead simple like a Paasche H. It's a single -action, external mix brush, made of cheap metal and plastic, but it's dead simple to use, and probably the simplest airbrush out there to clean. People look at it and think it looks like a piece of poo poo, but it's a capable little brush. It's nowhere near as fancy as todays modern double-action, internal mix brushes with needle stops and adjustable air valves and all that, but it's the brush that painted the Predator, the Alien, the Thing, just about any movie monster and animatronics from the 80's and early 90's you can think of. It was a mainstay workhorse of the industry, and is still kept around in studios to this day because it's simple, fast, and you can treat it like poo poo and it'll keep coming back for more.