Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did they ever actually air the first episode of Firefly on Fox? I vaguely recall that they aired like the 4th episode first for some reason, a bunch more out of order and never actually got around to showing the first episode on television in its original run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

No, they never did air it. I haven't even seen it to this very day, as primarily a Fox viewer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

no idea but the show is pretty solid and possibly Joss Whedon's greatest work(sorry Buffy fans but seriously, that show was boooooorrrrrrrinnnnnggggg)

That said Joss Whedon is a terrible creep in the vein of "took women's studies to eat more pussy" species of creeps which isn't even that original. A pedestrian creep.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Buffy Seasons 2, 3, and 4 were all good. After that it got too melodramatic for me. But yeah they were really hampered by the 22 episode season; like jfc that doesn’t work.

I was going to go to Dallas to see my family this weekend but now there’s been an ice storm and the flight is cancelled.

Am I still going to board my dog so he can spend the weekend playing with dogs and tucker his poo poo out? Maaaybe
(They group the dogs by play level and just have them hang out in a giant indoor dog park all day; he loves it)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I started to watch Subat on netflix and its kinda awesome for being very blatantly Arrow But Turkish.

So you got this guy called Subat and he's a crazy strong autistic homeless guy. He likes this news reporter who is bougie as gently caress but don't need no man. Its also hypersexist. I've only seen 2 episodes but the reporter lady is repeatedly told to catch a man because she's too uppity.

oh yeah, and the rich sometimes boyfriend of the reporter lady's dad fakes his own death to announce he's taken on a young bride. Like with a burning plane and everything. The whole family shows up and he pops out of the wreckage, makes a speech, then presents his bride(who is accompanied by a dancing troupe). It is positively insane.

coconono fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 17, 2020

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

coconono posted:

I just realized there's an entire generation out there raised on smash bros games and I'm not sure what this means just yet.

Vinny from Giant Bomb says his children only know the characters in Smash Bros from Smash Bros and not any of their outside game.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

Vinny from Giant Bomb says his children only know the characters in Smash Bros from Smash Bros and not any of their outside game.

[austin walker Project Beast voice] vinnyyyyyyyy

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

To be fair, this has been a thing since at least Melee. Roy hadn't been in any games that got western localisations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

People didn't know who Ness was when the original came out, like three years after Earthbound came out.

Everyone should play Earthbound.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Smash has 6 Billion Characters and almost no chance that Sora was going to be one anyway. Repping the newest FE was going to happen. It always happens.
(They are the most represented franchise because they have the most main characters of any Nintendo IP).

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

NienNunb posted:

People didn't know who Ness was when the original came out, like three years after Earthbound came out.

Everyone should play Earthbound.

mother 3 is like earthbound but actually fun to play so everyone should play that

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

mother 3 is like earthbound but actually fun to play so everyone should play that

Water Melon Gun, please

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i done both of them games and they both had bad gameplay but were fun experiences. why did earthbound come with that book and have to get a unique box and alla that. did they fear no one would buy the guide? I have one final question about the 1990s

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What's the question Cav

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought Earthbound/Mother was kinda like Deltarune. Neat idea, very cute but very boring.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what's better 1995 or 1996.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I did a really good dinosaur diorama in first grade so I say 96

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Cavauro posted:

My favorite hockey team won the Stanley Cup in 1995 so that's my vote.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
my favorite hockey team won the Stanley Cup in 1996 so that's my vote.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Did they ever actually air the first episode of Firefly on Fox? I vaguely recall that they aired like the 4th episode first for some reason, a bunch more out of order and never actually got around to showing the first episode on television in its original run?
It aired last after they'd already announced the cancellation of the show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It aired last after they'd already announced the cancellation of the show.

between firefly and brooklyn nine-nine i will never understand fox's utter contempt for shows with endearing characters. its almost a miracle that bobs burgers has gone as far as it has.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OFFICER LIGER posted:

between firefly and brooklyn nine-nine i will never understand fox's utter contempt for shows with endearing characters. its almost a miracle that bobs burgers has gone as far as it has.
The X-Files was a success on Friday nights to the point that they moved it to an actual night people watched TV in Sunday where it really broke out. They they promptly forgot they did the second part and kept trying to put other genre shows on Friday night and wondering why they all failed. Firefly, Dollhouse, Sarah Connor Chronicles... Fox is bad at its job.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Better Call Saul has an end date finally, there's two more seasons to go. I really love this show and feel like Bob Odenkirk is just incredible as an actor, like on Phillip Seymour Hoffman level. I'm excited to see where the show ends up, it's been a real slow burn for the last 4 seasons.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Cavauro posted:

Met my best friend in 1995. Still friends with the guy 25 years later.

So ‘95 is my pick.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

Better Call Saul has an end date finally, there's two more seasons to go. I really love this show and feel like Bob Odenkirk is just incredible as an actor, like on Phillip Seymour Hoffman level. I'm excited to see where the show ends up, it's been a real slow burn for the last 4 seasons.

i mean, odds are pretty strong it ends up at a strip mall in albuquerque.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I hope Better Call Saul ends with Saul meeting up with Jessie for one last big thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Better Call Saul has been superb so far and knowing they have a definite end date in mind makes me really excited for how they are going to wrap it up. Especially since the last season has already been announced as a full 13 episode run and not that usual "You get 7 episodes to wrap up half a decade of storylines" stuff.

Also all of Buffy was a complicated delivery mechanism for that one episode where the bad guys resurrect a baddy who is invulnerable to all weapons.... until Buffy reminds them that there's been like 2000 years of weapons development since then and blows it up with a bazooka :laugh:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Currently sitting in the balcony waiting for the final MST3K Live show to start

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

I imagine it comes down to Fire Emblem honestly being over represented in the game, I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure it has the most characters of any franchise in the game(since for some weird reason Smash counts Yoshi, Wario, and the Donkey Kong characters as all being separate from the Mario franchise), so a lot of people feel that a large chunk of the slots that Fire Emblem characters occupy could have been given to more interesting characters from other franchises(especially for characters that are stuck as either Assist Trophies or Mii Fighter costumes), especially when it comes to characters one has to pay for

Though I do agree that a lot of people are going a bit too hard in complaining about it
Mario (including the franchises they spawned) & Pokemon have more. Mario included a random unimportant non-boss (and that character owns, Plant Gang bitch) and Pokemon will hopefully have one for the new gen if only for that awesome Gen 8 gym battle music.

I also think Fire Emblem has too many as a whole but at least this one is different.

e: also the comedy of Geno/Waluigi fans complaining about FE overrepresentation!

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 18, 2020

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I have played all the Witcher games since like 12 years ago and now I’m trying to watch the show and halfway through the first episode this poo poo is just brutally bad

Goddamn y’all.

WHY CANT EVERYONE STOP GIVING SPEECHES OMG

HEY HOW ABOUT A REVEALING SPEECH ABOUT WHO I AM DESPITE MY PRICKLY EXTERIOR? says every loving character in this show

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 18, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Give me Mallow

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Captain Magic posted:

I have played all the Witcher games since like 12 years ago and now I’m trying to watch the show and halfway through the first episode this poo poo is just brutally bad

Goddamn y’all.

WHY CANT EVERYONE STOP GIVING SPEECHES OMG

HEY HOW ABOUT A REVEALING SPEECH ABOUT WHO I AM DESPITE MY PRICKLY EXTERIOR? says every loving character in this show

its one of those shows that kinda sucks to watch but when its over you'll love it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

HEY ME YOU CHILDHOOD CHOICE EVIL ME BELIEVE DESTINY CHOICE SURVIVE!?

this poo poo is like if a waterwheel of abstracts was run through a drunk A.I.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

This was my experience as well. Cavill is fantastic but it's such a loving jumble. Very clearly tried to do ~~epic plots~~ before enough world building.

It reviewed terribly, did great numbers and was renewed before anyone watched it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ok a girl just showed up in a bloody wedding dress. Subat is the kind of big dick energy poo poo I need in my life.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So a friend in the US mails me up stuff since it's cheaper to stack 3-4 things and he shipped a monster box including the dorkiest gosh darn wrestling t-shirts this week. It hit customs and went right through, and should have been here today (according to canada post, I didn't think so) except:

So it came out of the major hub at the airport and then they were sort of surprised? Like whoa, what's this box doing here, it's supposed to be... At a different major airport?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spiderdrake posted:

So a friend in the US mails me up stuff since it's cheaper to stack 3-4 things and he shipped a monster box including the dorkiest gosh darn wrestling t-shirts this week. It hit customs and went right through, and should have been here today (according to canada post, I didn't think so) except:

So it came out of the major hub at the airport and then they were sort of surprised? Like whoa, what's this box doing here, it's supposed to be... At a different major airport?

that seems extremely canadian? In the US, they'd have rifled through it and you'd be on 2000 databases that no one looks at but if Red Dawn happened It'd Be A Problem. Because its totally normal to wonder what to do if Red Daw Was Real. I kinda hate this place?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There is nothing quite as refreshing as realizing that the last two Assassin's Creed games just decided at some point,"gently caress it, magic and the Gods and all that good poo poo is real, let's just get weird with it."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

There is nothing quite as refreshing as realizing that the last two Assassin's Creed games just decided at some point,"gently caress it, magic and the Gods and all that good poo poo is real, let's just get weird with it."

They never shied away from it all being alien super science and a dash of eugenics. Although 2 did it best with the puzzles revealing it all, AND having the ending monologue being insanely unsettling because the diety was never looking at the character but designed to be looking straight at you the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah but the explanation was almost always "That deity/magic thing was just superstitious people seeing our Original-Character-Do-Not-Steal super-science race and misinterpreting it". In Origins you just straight up go into the afterlife and meet Gods and the spirits of dead people and as far as I can recall at no point does Bayek or anybody else go,"Of course this was just an Isu harddrive with memories of people" or any bullshit like that.

I think the start of Odyssey offers a minor in-game explanation of,"We're using incomplete ancient texts to build the world so some stuff is gonna feel a little unreal" and then bam suddenly you're in the Labyrinth of Minos following Theseus' golden string :hellyeah: