Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Captain Hygiene posted:

But then you won't get to enjoy their delight as they excitedly prance over to a surprise banana :(

Lure them with bananas, then unexist them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zack Ater posted:

Lure them with bananas, then unexist them.

And recover the banana :hmmyes:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

(alternately it'd be funny if the spawn rate is tied to how many bananas you're carrying, which has been "a fuckload" at times)

I have some news for you

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That feels like the kind of playground rumour you tell people to get them to drop all their bananas for no reason

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

But can they smell all the delicious fruit dishes I cook to stockpile attack buffs? :ohdear:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Amppelix posted:

That feels like the kind of playground rumour you tell people to get them to drop all their bananas for no reason

Do you really want to live in a world where you know for sure that your banana stockpile doesn't have an effect on the Yiga clan?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

For some non-banana content, this playthrough turned me around enough to get the DLC. Something I don't like about the Divine Beast Tamer quest is the final (in the order I did it at least) shrine's setup. The whole quest is clearing out a set of enemies, then a shrine, having minimal health so any hit kills you. It's all doable, since you don't have to redo complete sections.

But while the first three shrines are standard puzzles, the last one was a Major Test of Strength. That's okay, because you realize you can cheese the Guardian with your special weapon, but then it turns into a serious of more encounters with increasing numbers of those little Guardians. Mostly doable, but the last one is three that just blast lasers at you, and the room is structured so they're all at a distance. I've tried both chipping away from a distance and trying to stun and rush them, but after a dozen tries I've gotten clipped and died before getting anywhere near killing them. It's just frustrating in a way that the rest of the quest wasn't, and aggravating because it's a roadblock for the main new dungeon quest.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
If you have a Guardian Shield++, it'll automatically reflect shots from Shrine Guardians when held out, if I recall correctly.

Alternate options include knocking the more distant ones off the bridge with bomb arrows.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was trying to do the latter and keep getting clipped successfully doing it. I'd stopped trying to deflect the lasers after one of the earlier ones just got locked into a shooting cycle long enough to wear through a shield, but that's probably easiest. I'll just restock and come back if I need to, thanks for the reminder.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Phew, finally did it. It took dumping a solid 15 bomb arrows into the trouble one before it fell off its ledge. I finally got a good timing down for shooting it without getting laserblasted. Also, I'd somehow mistaken the remaining two for also being the beefier versions, but it turned out they could be one-shotted, which made the cleanup a lot easier than I was expecting.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Man, anyone have any tips for finding shrines, particularly within a reasonable radius of Korok Village? I'm trying to rush Master Sword this time around (with the plan to redistribute to stamina afterwards) and I need 20 more orbs to get the hearts I need. I particularly don't want to trigger Sidon (or any Divine Beast quest) yet and holy poo poo I just realized Sidon is probably derived from Poseidon.

I can't remember, do Goron or Rito village trigger any cutscenes just by walking around them, or are they safe unless you talk to a key NPC? I guess I could gently caress off to Farosh's jungle area since it's safe as far as main quests go but that's a bit of a distance, especially on a warpless pro hud limited map use run.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 18, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I usually just go up to the nearest tower and look around at night, single pixels of bright orange stand out from a really long distance. That's gotten me through quite a few each time, then I start looking for suspiciously large areas between one I've found.

Now I'm kinda slowing down on them though, at around 60 or so done, I think? At this point it mostly seems like chance that my detector starts going off while I'm doing something else.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Man, anyone have any tips for finding shrines, particularly within a reasonable radius of Korok Village? I'm trying to rush Master Sword this time around (with the plan to redistribute to stamina afterwards) and I need 20 more orbs to get the hearts I need. I particularly don't want to trigger Sidon (or any Divine Beast quest) yet and holy poo poo I just realized Sidon is probably derived from Poseidon.

I think they're most heavily distributed between the plateau and Zora lake, in that first beginning area.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I can't remember, do Goron or Rito village trigger any cutscenes just by walking around them, or are they safe unless you talk to a key NPC? I guess I could gently caress off to Farosh's jungle area since it's safe as far as main quests go but that's a bit of a distance, especially on a warpless pro hud limited map use run.

Even if you trigger a quest it's fine to just wander off and come back to it later, unless you find the guilt overwhelming.

Most of the ones I can think of near the forest are pretty time-consuming or need climate gear - the dark ruins one, the labyrinth, a couple on Death Mt you'll need fireproof for. Couple in/near the castle (Crenel Hills), the Forgotten Temple... your best bet might be climbing the Forest Tower and looking around. You have your shrine detector on, right? And you've done the 4 shrines in the forest?

You get a Vah Medoh cutscene when you enter Rito Village and a Vah Rudania when you get close to Goron City, but they don't oblige you to do anything.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Runcible Cat posted:

Even if you trigger a quest it's fine to just wander off and come back to it later, unless you find the guilt overwhelming.

It's the guilt lol

Also basically some weird version of I want to do it right this time >:(, which is totally arbitrary and made up by me and I have no idea why I defined this as "correct" but my brain is adamant about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh FFS, I don't know if I have the motivation to bother refighting the dungeon bosses with practically no extra items. Stop roadblocking me and just let me play the extra dungeon, Nintendo, that's the entire reason I paid for this :arghfist::saddowns:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's the one time BOTW actually asks you to learn boss patterns to win so it's cool in my book.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I don't like the boss fights at all, the only way they were doable was if I could tank up enough to just power through. I'm glad they put tougher challenges in the DLC, I just don't think I'd have paid for it if I'd known these ones were structured into the main quest.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

You can also set your Sheika Slate to target shrines with its radar. Also climb high areas in the night and look for glowing orange then mark them on your map.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also incredibly mad about the fact that the 2 Lynels in Hyrule castle don’t drop their gear when you defeat them :mad:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My roommate had a date over and he saw me playing and said "How do you have so much stamina and so little health?" because I'm playing the game CORRECTLY, Taylor.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MokBa posted:

My roommate had a date over and he saw me playing and said "How do you have so much stamina and so little health?" because I'm playing the game CORRECTLY, Taylor.

Saddest moment of my life

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You should be able to sell two of your starting hearts for infinite stamina.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Saddest moment of my life

YggiDee posted:

You should be able to sell two of your starting hearts for infinite stamina.

Considering how eating pauses the game world, cooking singular endura carrots and slamming them into Link's face is effectively infinite stamina as it's a full 3 circles of stamina plus a third of an extra wheel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hero of Carotin

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also incredibly mad about the fact that the 2 Lynels in Hyrule castle don’t drop their gear when you defeat them :mad:

Save and reload once you enter the gatehouse.

The one DLC refight I had an issue with was Vah Rutah/waterblight. For the others, the gear was pretty decent, and I had three Urbosa's Furies to throw down. The Zora weapons weren't too good, and it had been months since I first fought Waterblight, so I was way out of practice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll maybe try it eventually, after converting all my stamina back to health. I struggled with that boss already so it was just a nasty surprise.

At least it turns out you can still do the other three parts of this questline too, for some reason I thought it was sequential. I'm enjoying hunting down the challenges anyway, even if I never get the rest of the main quest.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

maltesh posted:

Save and reload once you enter the gatehouse.

The one DLC refight I had an issue with was Vah Rutah/waterblight. For the others, the gear was pretty decent, and I had three Urbosa's Furies to throw down. The Zora weapons weren't too good, and it had been months since I first fought Waterblight, so I was way out of practice.

The Vah Rutah ver. 2 fight is definitely the most brutal of the four. I never even bothered beating it on my Master Quest playthrough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I did go in and take out Windblight Ganon again after the Revali questline just now, I actually did pretty well but that one was also the only pretty easy one even on my very first playthrough. Still, I felt pretty badass ending the fight with about eight arrow shots without breaking my slow-mo fall :hellyeah:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

If it helps, active food buffs carry over into the rematches even though nothing else does; you can go into them with maxed-out yellow hearts and attack+++ if you don't feel like fighting fair.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The champion powers also carry over as well, so you can use Urbosa's Fury to cheese all of them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

If it helps, active food buffs carry over into the rematches even though nothing else does; you can go into them with maxed-out yellow hearts and attack+++ if you don't feel like fighting fair.

This is actually super useful, thanks - I meant to test it out but forgot until after I started the fight. I'll come in prepared next time :black101:

Namnesor posted:

The champion powers also carry over as well, so you can use Urbosa's Fury to cheese all of them.

lol I have literally never used this power because I've instantly forgotten it exists on every playthrough. I'll try to make it a point when I do the rest.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The best use of Urbosa's Fury is to brutally own entire Keese swarms.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’d argue landing on the tops of skull camps in sheika ninja gear then using lightning to chump the entire encampment is a favorite of mine.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That does sound pretty fun, I've just never thought of doing it because it would require not trolling them with constant bombs thrown through the windows instead.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like waiting for rain and just going HAM with lightning arrows.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Pretty sure it’s the most powerful attack in the game. I like to use it on Molduga just before it swipes me away after I wail on it.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I've never actually used it much because I always seem to get hit right before I can release it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mastajake posted:

Pretty sure it’s the most powerful attack in the game. I like to use it on Molduga just before it swipes me away after I wail on it.

Yeah it's ridiculous, it takes off like half a guardian health bar and hinoxes suffer tremendously from being woken up by it

When I first got it I wrote it off as "Oh, great, extra piddly damage" and then swiftly revised my opinion when I accidentally used it to annihilate an entire moblin group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I have over 140 hours of playtime in BotW, which surpasses the only (known) time I've spent on a single playthrough of a game. The previous record was Arc the Lad II which I put about 120 hours into. It's possible I've sunken more time into Dynasty Warriors 7 or Warriors Orochi 3 but there's no real way to check playtime for those.

Anyway I beat the camel, I didn't like that dungeon at all. It's hard for me to wrap my head around how the place changes when I rotate things, and the camera getting weird when I try to look around and causing me to lose my idea of what's up and down doesn't help. I also had a hell of a time finding the second electricity generator for the last terminal, took me about 20 minutes of running around. I think so far my favorite beast has been the elephant because it was pretty simply laid out and the gimmick didn't change the dungeon in weird ways. I have a bias against the lizard because I was stuck in that dungeon for about an hour, simply because I forgot about the one door right at the beginning you have to shoot an arrow though. That's kind of why I'm down on the maps for the beasts, I know they couldn't really do the standard Zelda dungeon maps for them because they're a lot more open and aren't as restricted to "floors," but on an old style map I also would have immediately been able to realize "Oh there's a door here I didn't go through."

Heading towards the bird now. I would have never realized those weird mushroom things in the Hyrule Ridge area were trees if I hadn't done some googling. Being able to no sell the Thundra Plateau quest with the Thunder Helm was pretty great as well.