Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello caffeine thread. I have some recipes I'm going to try that call for adding some instant coffee to the sauce. I know instant coffee is never good, but any suggestions for the better ones?

Voila or Sudden, but tbh I wouldn’t spend the $$ just to add to a sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

I have used ultra fine ground beans (for Turkish coffee) in several recipes and it worked out great

Oromo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 18, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello caffeine thread. I have some recipes I'm going to try that call for adding some instant coffee to the sauce. I know instant coffee is never good, but any suggestions for the better ones?

Instant coffee sucks to drink but for a recipe it will probably be fine, it's not like you're gonna get any nuance anyway. Using fine ground coffee might give you a textural problem as it won't dissolve. You could always brew some very strong coffee and use that and adjust the liquid elsewhere in the recipe.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I use instant espresso when baking as it seems to have better flavor carry over the process. I steer clear of just instant coffee now because I hate adding things that don’t add to the final product.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has anyone ever heard of beans suddenly going bad, relatively soon after they were roasted? My light roast beans suddenly started making ultra-sour V60s with no real change in recipe or method. One day they were fine, the next they were really sour. They were roasted on the 7th of Jan, so pretty recently. I stored them in a vacuum-sealed canister.

I think the only part of the process that changed was that I got a proper pour-over kettle, instead of a normal tea kettle. However, I'm pretty sure I made at least one or two v60s with the gooseneck before things started turning sour.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Depending on the exact application I will either use instant coffee, espresso powder, or actually brew a shot of espresso into a measuring cup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sour comes from underextraction typically. So your water might not be hot enough, grounds are too large, or your brewing time is too short. I guess I'd try grinding finer and pouring slower.

Or just make a french press and see if it's still sour.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Sour comes from underextraction typically. So your water might not be hot enough, grounds are too large, or your brewing time is too short. I guess I'd try grinding finer and pouring slower.

Or just make a french press and see if it's still sour.

I tried them in an Aeropress and they were okay, just don't really understand why the v60 suddenly went wonky after tasting great for so many brews through the past week.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the V60 is just finnicky and designed to brew as fast as possible in a cafe. So it sounds like your beans are ok.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Gunder posted:

I tried them in an Aeropress and they were okay, just don't really understand why the v60 suddenly went wonky after tasting great for so many brews through the past week.

Your coffee changes as it ages. You'll probably want to know what change you end up making at what age so going forward you can anticipate it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whats the general consensus on the aeropress? I'm not happy with my old model Keurig k cup machine, I want something better than a Mr. Coffee, and don't have $200 for an espresso machine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It makes a great cup of coffee on the cheap, but it won't taste anything like an espresso. It's more like a french press in my mind.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
A mokapot is the closest thing you can get to espresso without being espresso. The Brikka type gets you even a bit closer with some actually crema.

And they're cheap and easy to clean so if you want cheap good strong coffee they are hard to beat.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Gunder posted:

It makes a great cup of coffee on the cheap, but it won't taste anything like an espresso. It's more like a french press in my mind.

Can confirm!

All my co-workers swear by it though, and barring a moka pot, is probably the easiest coffee maker you can buy that can be portable

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ChocNitty posted:

Whats the general consensus on the aeropress? I'm not happy with my old model Keurig k cup machine, I want something better than a Mr. Coffee, and don't have $200 for an espresso machine.

Oh you sweet summer child...

I like the clever coffee dripper for an easy to use method which makes a great cup of coffee. If you want espresso once in a while, hit your favorite cafe when that isn't doing the job has been my approach for longest time.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I bought a NS Oscar and I'm waiting for it to arrive. After going down the espresso rabbit hole I'm happy to not be researching anymore (for the moment) and to begin making espresso.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

qutius posted:

Oh you sweet summer child...

I like the clever coffee dripper for an easy to use method which makes a great cup of coffee. If you want espresso once in a while, hit your favorite cafe when that isn't doing the job has been my approach for longest time.

I should have specified that I just want good tasting plain coffee, but the option to make espresso would be a nice bonus i'd appreciate.

The price, options, and taste of the Aeropress, from what i'm reading, looks really good. But to be honest, i'm mostly drinking it for the caffeine, and im making it 3 times a day, and I might have to go with convenience over these things. I just figured that something I drink so often should also be tasty.

BTW, using water thats been heated up in a microwave doesn't make any difference to the coffee from kettle heated water as long as the temp is the same right?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Going to second the clever dripper, as a long time french press user it's a great mix of immersion and filtered brewing, and easier to clean up. Get the large one and that's a couple cups of coffee in your thermos each brew.

You can absolutely make good tasting coffee with methods outside of an espresso machine. Start with a basic brewing method and learn about how grind, temperature and brew time affect the taste of coffee, and that will take you a long way.

What qualities of espresso are you looking to reproduce that other methods won't? Aeropress does not give you the pressure necessary to be considered espresso.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Tried making a pour-over at home for the first time today. It turned out pretty okay! Very clean, rich, and smooth profile. Mind, the beans I have are a week old and a blend so the flavour wasn't really poppin the way I like it but still wholly enjoyable. I've definitely made much worse cups before using other methods. I'm sure I'm missing something to really make these beans shine but at the very least it seems making a decent cup is a relatively low bar to clear.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ChocNitty posted:

I should have specified that I just want good tasting plain coffee, but the option to make espresso would be a nice bonus i'd appreciate.

The price, options, and taste of the Aeropress, from what i'm reading, looks really good. But to be honest, i'm mostly drinking it for the caffeine, and im making it 3 times a day, and I might have to go with convenience over these things. I just figured that something I drink so often should also be tasty.

BTW, using water thats been heated up in a microwave doesn't make any difference to the coffee from kettle heated water as long as the temp is the same right?

I think you would be well suited to something like the CCD (clever coffee dripper) then, or one of the most precise automated machines that has good water temp control would be right up your alley. Totally agree on the "it should also be tasty" bit, well prepared coffee is so drat good, a great cup or an awesome shot of espresso is always a pleasure. The bonus being it helps me get my day going.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Before I buy 3rd Wave Water and try to find a place for a five gallon jug, I wanted to try brewing with some bottled spring water. I know location makes a difference in where things are bottled, but is there a go-to brand in the midwest I can try to see if my battered old palate can tell the difference?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

RichterIX posted:

Before I buy 3rd Wave Water and try to find a place for a five gallon jug, I wanted to try brewing with some bottled spring water. I know location makes a difference in where things are bottled, but is there a go-to brand in the midwest I can try to see if my battered old palate can tell the difference?

Smart Water, or Evian

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Bottled water is NOT good for coffee compared to TWW. It doesn't have the same chemical make up as TWW so it won't be a good comparison. Tww packets are meant to be used with one gallon distilled water jugs.

In other news its crazy how fine I can get with my grind and Melodrip. I swear this is like semi near espresso and it's not over extracted.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone else use a kalita dripper or other non standard dripper with the supermarket #2 filters? I can make them fit by just mashing them into the round shape. Seems to taste fine and I don't have to pay the small fortune for Kalita filters.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Munkaboo posted:

Bottled water is NOT good for coffee compared to TWW. It doesn't have the same chemical make up as TWW so it won't be a good comparison. Tww packets are meant to be used with one gallon distilled water jugs.

That's totally fair, but bottled has to be better than my insanely hard Indiana tap water, right? I'm more interested in whether water will make a difference to me than in trying to get a taste of what tww will be like.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RichterIX posted:

That's totally fair, but bottled has to be better than my insanely hard Indiana tap water, right? I'm more interested in whether water will make a difference to me than in trying to get a taste of what tww will be like.

You'd need to know what was in the bottled water to know if it would. But chances are decent that it will not be as hard, but there still won't be the balance of minerals that TWW ships for blending. This is not necessarily a bad thing if you're buying beans roasted by someone who also has and uses insanely hard Indiana tap water, because then it's tasting like their expecting when they roasted it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had in line water filtration installed though, but you can easily use a Brita or PUR filter if you're wanting to have softer water.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RichterIX posted:

How close are you to Greenwood, the city that let Nestles filter their municipal water supply in exchange for building their plant there? at least, that's how I heard it....

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mr. Mambold posted:

How close are you to Greenwood, the city that let Nestles filter their municipal water supply in exchange for building their plant there? at least, that's how I heard it....

I'm about 45 minutes from there, not sure which facilities serve which areas though. I do know my tap water is crazy hard, my kettle scales up in a matter of days

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Do the Brita pitchers actually soften water? I for some reason assumed they didn't

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CancerStick posted:

Do the Brita pitchers actually soften water? I for some reason assumed they didn't

Pretty sure they are just carbon. It can't do that much softening.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CancerStick posted:

They usually have ion exchange beads in them so they do soften some, but they don't advertise them as doing such because the beads are effective for way less time than the carbon is.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've got a Berkey water filter at home which makes the best tasting water I've ever had, more or less. Is it normal for a city water supply to publish the mineral content and whatnot? These filters strip out all the bad poo poo, but don't gently caress with the actual mineral content. I figure great tasting water has to make pretty drat good coffee, by rights?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

qutius posted:

I figure great tasting water has to make pretty drat good coffee, by rights?

Nope! Taste of the water does not necessarily mean it will make good coffee.

Check out the YouTube video by James Hoffman about coffee water, it's a good watch.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Aquifer here which supplies municipal water has the highest arsenic levels in the hemisphere, plus natural uranium content that had to shut 3 wells down some years back. Oh, and for a kicker, super abundant chromium hex, also nature's finest. Ya'll want a killer cuppa coffee, c'mon down.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Munkaboo posted:

Nope! Taste of the water does not necessarily mean it will make good coffee.

Check out the YouTube video by James Hoffman about coffee water, it's a good watch.

Yeah I was reading a bit about it but I will check that video out.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Aquifer here which supplies municipal water has the highest arsenic levels in the hemisphere, plus natural uranium content that had to shut 3 wells down some years back. Oh, and for a kicker, super abundant chromium hex, also nature's finest. Ya'll want a killer cuppa coffee, c'mon down.

Yikes. Get yourself some heavy metals filters!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

qutius posted:

Yeah I was reading a bit about it but I will check that video out.

Yikes. Get yourself some heavy metals filters!
I've got an RO setup on top of an General Ionics (which doesn't filter heavy metal) but the RO tastes meh. I don't go for any heavy metal worse than Led Zep :haw:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a grinder and am leaning towards the Mignon Specialita. How well does it work with switching grind sizes? I currently have a cheap hand-me-down Macy's espresso machine and an aeropress, although I plan on getting a Gaggia or Lelit some time in the next few months.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've got an RO setup on top of an General Ionics (which doesn't filter heavy metal) but the RO tastes meh. I don't go for any heavy metal worse than Led Zep :haw:

You gotta remineralize your RO. I've been paid $$$ to calibrate an inline system for cafes to do this, but for home use it's really easy to just fill up gallon jugs to mineralize.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I use trace mineral drops with my RO it makes some awesome coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How would you guys characterise the coffee that a Chemex produces compared to a V60?