Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

seconding the fealty tip, playing a bootlicker in this game is pretty fun, and it releases even more dopamine when you get a character who is devious and ambitious enough to seek independence. helping your boss win wars he shouldn’t is cool and gets you good boy pionts, which you can redeem with land or a law change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a fatguy baldspot posted:

seconding the fealty tip, playing a bootlicker in this game is pretty fun, and it releases even more dopamine when you get a character who is devious and ambitious enough to seek independence. helping your boss win wars he shouldn’t is cool and gets you good boy pionts, which you can redeem with land or a law change.

The best is when he likes you so much he just gives you a couple of ducal titles. :allears:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Randaconda posted:

The best is when he likes you so much he just gives you a couple of ducal titles. :allears:

The worst is when your liege the HREmperor just seizes one of your counties because gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY and then you have to fight for independence in order to restore your pretty, pretty borders

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i think my favorite thing to do as a norse pagan is conquer sardinia and corsica and use it as a base to raid the entire mediterranean

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Spoondick posted:

i think my favorite thing to do as a norse pagan is conquer sardinia and corsica and use it as a base to raid the entire mediterranean

sicily is better if you can reach it. been a while since i did a norse settler game tho, need to get back into that and head for someplace weird. somewhere in persia maybe.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Empire prospers.

I grabbed Tunis in a holy war from those rebels soon after.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is it not possible to rename your armies? I can't seem to find a way

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Charlz Guybon posted:

no

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

Not in CK2. That made more sense back when the game came out and you couldn't mass standing armies.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not in CK2. That made more sense back when the game came out and you couldn't mass standing armies.

I am the Emperor of the Romans. I want to name my body guard units into the Praetorian Guard, and arrange my retinue into legions.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

I am the Emperor of the Romans. I want to name my body guard units into the Praetorian Guard, and arrange my retinue into legions.

Do you just not want to be Emperor for that long or

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Do you just not want to be Emperor for that long or

The game lets you convert to Hellenism and do all kinds of crazy poo poo that would have been way more dangerous than simply renaming the Varangian Guard.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Alright, jut finished up S.P.Q.R from the Alexiad start. Fun things include:

• My vassal inheriting the Mega-Seljuk empire allowing me to complete dismantle the empire and hand it out to various cousins in one war.
  • Clicking through half of my provinces trying to find one random independent barony
  • Discovering that the truce breaking penalty does not apply to your vassals
  • Pushing the war score system to the limit. My God is it ever a refreshing change from EU4.
  • Realizing I don't understand how my realm incomes work. I capped out around +100 ducats per month even after my realm tripled in size with fixed revenues.

I have to say, I am really excited to play CK3 with what I assume will be a much improved interface.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 18, 2020

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think the joke was less the renaming being dangerous and more the whole thing the praetorians got up too.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
'I never thought my bodyguards would murder ME,' sobs Roman Emperor who reinstated bodyguard unit infamous for murdering Roman Emperors.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
et me? :v:

E: is there anywhere the names of achievements are explained? Stuff like 'I'm Sorry, Desiderata' and 'On English Neck a Norman Yoke' seem like they have a historical source. (like, I know William became king of England, but where's the sentence from?)

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 18, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tias posted:

E: is there anywhere the names of achievements are explained? Stuff like 'I'm Sorry, Desiderata' and 'On English Neck a Norman Yoke' seem like they have a historical source. (like, I know William became king of England, but where's the sentence from?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_yoke

The "norman yoke" is a disproved former theory (that almost always conveniently led into white supremacy) about how England's "unique freedoms" like common law, parliament, and so on descended from the freeborn germanic anglo-saxons and were almost snuffed out by the barbarous continental franco-normans.

Nowadays we are fairly sure that most of those precious things date to after the norman conquest and have gently caress all to do with anglo-saxons, and the whole idea of what the anglo-saxon and norman conquests entailed has changed a fair bit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's no particular deep meaning to Norse-East - it's just a pun about the Norse going East.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

GHOST_BUTT posted:

'I never thought my bodyguards would murder ME,' sobs Roman Emperor who reinstated bodyguard unit infamous for murdering Roman Emperors.

The people involved and the institutional culture would be the same as it was before the name change.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_yoke

The "norman yoke" is a disproved former theory (that almost always conveniently led into white supremacy) about how England's "unique freedoms" like common law, parliament, and so on descended from the freeborn germanic anglo-saxons and were almost snuffed out by the barbarous continental franco-normans.

Nowadays we are fairly sure that most of those precious things date to after the norman conquest and have gently caress all to do with anglo-saxons, and the whole idea of what the anglo-saxon and norman conquests entailed has changed a fair bit.

Now you're going to tell me that Russian culture wasn't turned into an authoritarian blend of West and East by a Mongol Yoke.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jabor posted:

There's no particular deep meaning to Norse-East - it's just a pun about the Norse going East.

It kind of tickles me because of a long plot arc in the comedy viking show Norsemen about the hallowed map to the west they refuse to give over to an evil rival Jarl.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

"I'm Sorry, Desiderata" is just a reference to Charlemagne divorcing his first wife.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
United the Kingdoms is a reference to the modern state of the United Kingdom. They are both located in the same geographical area.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

fuf posted:

Ok cool. Happy using a wireless mouse and keyboard, it's just the UI visibility I'm wondering about.

I did this last night on a 65-inch and while it’s nice never having to scroll to see all your realm laws, along with hardly ever having to scroll when searching for marriages for my children, I do hafta sit pretty close to the TV. The UI scaling only seems to affect the text, while the graphical containers around them stay the same size. So I only have it set to like 1.2.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dwarf Fortress is a reference to Dwarf Fortress.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

The Aladdin one is because in the Arabian Nights he was originally Han Chinese. Kinda explained here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
yes, good, chucklefucks, I loving understand the Dwarf Fortress and Norse-East ones :psydwarf: Thanks for the answers!

Which DLC are the best ones to get for a new player?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I AM the law is a reference to the punishwr

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Neurion posted:

I AM the law is a reference to the punishwr

Judge Dredd.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If my Feudal vassal has a City vassal, and I have Feudal Obligations set to Max Levies (which I think has 0% taxation?), do I make get income from the city?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

If my Feudal vassal has a City vassal, and I have Feudal Obligations set to Max Levies (which I think has 0% taxation?), do I make get income from the city?

build-hide under-nest to make-get gold and clanrats, hmm, yes

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

No. Your income comes from taxes from your holdings and direct vassals. The way those taxes work is that city pays your noble who then in turn pays you out of their total income.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah ok that makes sense, and explains my stagnating income, as I had handed most of the empire off to feudal kingdom level titles. I guess now I'm surprised my demense was generating that much cash.

Also how do Merchant Republics work? How should I be setting them up to milk them for cash?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Also how do Merchant Republics work? How should I be setting them up to milk them for cash?

Yes you should. It’s fairly easy as well with the Byzintines. After a holy war give some inlanders nobody (necessary) with your religion (not necessary but a good idea) a city holding in a coastal province. Then give him the province and after that the duchy title. This will turn him into a Doge who will dislike you for having a different form of government but otherwise will give you lots of money.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah ok that makes sense, and explains my stagnating income, as I had handed most of the empire off to feudal kingdom level titles. I guess now I'm surprised my demense was generating that much cash.

You want as many vassal merchant republics as you can. I forget what the limits are, I think Emperors can have three? Set them up far apart so that their trade zones don't overlap and enjoy rolling in the money. Also if you're playing Rome/Byzantium, aside from holding Constantinople, try and make sure your demense is coastal so that your merchants build trade posts there and make you even richer.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Setting up a Merchant Republic can take a bit of doing for a feudal person. A small, coastal, two duchy kingdom such as 769's Valencia is perfect for the task, and I'll be using it as an example. First, take control of it. Second, in both duchies make sure that a city is the capital of one of the coastal counties and that all of the other holdings have barons/mayors/bishops. Next, find two random courtiers you don't care about or actively want out of a line of succession. Give each of them one of your prepared cities and be sure to include the vassals. Next, give them their rightful duchy, including all lower holdings. Be sure to destroy the kingdom title if you have it, you don't want them envying it.

You now have two merchant republics under you and they'll get to work building trade hubs and populating themselves. Why two? Well, one merchant republic just starting out will take quite a while to fully trade post a region, so while it does inflate vassal count a bit investing in two gets you the income faster and gives them a ready-made rival to direct their destructive attentions towards instead of coveting freedom or whatever. AI Merchants Republics have a hard time actually killing each other, so you don't need to worry about that. After they get big enough to be able to build trade posts really quickly and you need more republic count under the limit you can revoke the duchy of whoever's smallest and hand to the rival who can then consolidate fully and enjoy all the bonuses. You get something like one merchant republic for every ten vassals or somesuch?

Since Merchant Republics can only expand so far if you're going full blob you'll want to set up a couple in each region like Wales, Valencia, something in Pomerania maybe, Crete, Somalia, India, etc.

fake edit: I've also seen answers that the Merchant Republic limit is based on realm size, so I actually don't know.

Complications fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 18, 2020

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

You can also set up religious Arch Bishoprics by the same method just switch out the city for a church. A minor benefit is that they will never revolt but for the Byzantines the main purpose for flavour to give the Pentarchy to bishops. Flavour very is important in realm building!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Eimi posted:

You want as many vassal merchant republics as you can. I forget what the limits are, I think Emperors can have three?
I'm not aware of any specific limit on Merchant Republics beyond the fact that they can be no more than 20% of the total holdings in the lands included under your top title. So if you have 10 counties no more than 2 can be led by a city/a republic.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Coolguye posted:

I'm not aware of any specific limit on Merchant Republics beyond the fact that they can be no more than 20% of the total holdings in the lands included under your top title. So if you have 10 counties no more than 2 can be led by a city/a republic.

It's 10% or less of your vassal counties can belong to republics and another 10% can belong to theocracies.

Vassal MRs can be a pain in the rear end because the Doge will ALWAYS want to be on your council regardless of his actual realm strength. It's also more difficult to control their inheritance to ensure an envious ambitious dickhole doesn't wind up as the new Doge. Uncertainty about inheritance also makes it harder to educate vassals' heirs with content traits, etc.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

A tribal king or emperor can set up vassal merchant republics as well without being feudal. Conquer some fuedal territory, give the city, then the county and duchy. Bam, Vassal merchant unrefomed vikings.