Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to remember a medieval game where you get heroes to move around the map, and they're represented by little static tiles, like in Civilization. You pick from a series of nations and occasionally attack other cities.

The main thing I strongly remember is you could get emissaries visiting from other nations, and you would get the choice to either meet with them or say "off with their heads!", at which point the game shows you a picture of two or three heads on stakes. I must've been pretty young when I played it because I remember feeling kind of sick and guilty when first seeing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
Could be Warlords II or another game in that series?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Warlords 2 has like that exact graphic of the decapitated heads, it must be.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yes. Can't believe I couldn't remember the title. Thanks guys, it was driving me nuts.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
That cutscene was already in Warlords 1, too.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Vib Rib posted:

I'm here years later (a decade late, even from the first!) to say thanks to all of you, and to this thread. Could not find this by descriptive Google search to save my life, couldn't remember the name. Thought to ask here, but on a whim ran the search first and lo and behold, demolitions had come up. I appreciate the blast from the past via the name, even though the site appears dead now.

https://sites.google.com/site/jannyman01/games/pc-games/cleaner-2

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My partner’s trying to recall one

-pc game from the early 90s
-character had a butterfly net
-you had to collect gems
-there was a mine level

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Retro Futurist posted:

-you had to collect gems
-there was a mine level

I feel like I may have played this but I'm no help on the name I'm afraid.

Was it a platformer, or top-down or something else? (I'm thinking platformer.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

-you had to collect gems
-there was a mine level

My first thought was Drilling Billy but it didn't have gems nor a butterfly net so I'm really not sure why I was thinking that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

iSurrender posted:

I feel like I may have played this but I'm no help on the name I'm afraid.

Was it a platformer, or top-down or something else? (I'm thinking platformer.)

She’s pretty sure it’s a side scroller

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Retro Futurist posted:

-you had to collect gems
-there was a mine level

Treasure Mountain/Mathstorm

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

-you had to collect gems
-there was a mine level

absolutely treasure mountain

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Seems to be, thanks!

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I could've sworn I posted about this before and had it answered, but searching through this whole thread gave me nothing and it's driving me crazy, so here we go possibly-again.

DOS game, I played it in the mid to late 90's. There were two segments to the game. I don't know if all of the details are exactly correct, but this is what I remember. The main segment were mazes - you had to run around the maze and collect dragon eggs, then find a key and reach the exit. The mazes were top-down, pretty basic old edutainment computer graphics, and there were arrow-blocks you had to push around to get through the maze, but you had to be careful because if you pushed an arrow into an egg it would break and disappear.

You could also choose your gender at the beginning of the game, and the choices were boy, girl, and some third option that amounted to not caring which. The only difference between the options was that at the beginning of the maze it would show a boy or girl face; once you started moving it just showed the top of the character's head which looked exactly the same for both. The third option just started immediately from the overhead view. I think the character had red hair.

The other main segment were quizzes on educational topics like math. I remember almost no detail about this part other than that it existed.

I thought it had a name that was some combination of dragon, quiz, and maze, but I haven't been able to find anything by googling.

Also it wasn't Think Quick! It didn't use the cyan/magenta palette and the mazes always fit on a single screen. That's all I've got.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The two I'm familiar with have the generic names Number Maze and Reading Maze, there might have been more in that series that more closely fits your description.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
About 7 or 8 years ago there was a free game in which you where doing tricks on (hover?)skates in an abstract world. Lot's of high jumping/flying around. It was probably more a proof of concept someone polished up. I read about it on RockPaperShotgun back then, but can't find it anymore.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Baller Time posted:

About 7 or 8 years ago there was a free game in which you where doing tricks on (hover?)skates in an abstract world. Lot's of high jumping/flying around. It was probably more a proof of concept someone polished up. I read about it on RockPaperShotgun back then, but can't find it anymore.

Hover, maybe?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Nope, not anything commercial

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Baller Time posted:

ohhh I know what you mean, can't remember the name at all

this game looks exactly the same art style (only fancier) and it has the same "zooming across the desert" vibe so I wouldn't be surprised if they made the demo thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJFQhEY9udE

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Oh yeah, Sable really looks a lot like the game I'm looking for! And thanks to your mention, I was able find out that the game I was looking for is named Zineth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCr5twS6xc8

I checked the Steam discussion board for Sable and someone had made a thread about the same line of thought.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You guys might be talking about Perfect Stride. I don't think it is ever coming out.

That or Zineth by the same folks. That one's freeware.

EDIT: ^^^^ Yeah.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There was also the Perfect Stride mod, which I think predates the two ErrEff mentions.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/perfect-stride-continuum

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I've been trying to recall the name of a game where you had what were sort of like chess pieces, except they would do battle on the board, and you were a viking type of guy doing battle against another viking with magic powers that could affect the pieces on the board.
Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? It's been driving me crazy!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

cinnamon rollout posted:

I've been trying to recall the name of a game where you had what were sort of like chess pieces, except they would do battle on the board, and you were a viking type of guy doing battle against another viking with magic powers that could affect the pieces on the board.

Battle Chess or Archon are my first thoughts, but no viking magics that I'm aware of.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

cinnamon rollout posted:

Archon 2 might be what you're thinking of? Or perhaps Dark Legions.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Phantasium posted:

The two I'm familiar with have the generic names Number Maze and Reading Maze, there might have been more in that series that more closely fits your description.

I don't think this is it, at least looking at screenshots of Number Maze. I think the walls of the mazes were the same width as the corridors, and maybe had a brick pattern? Also I don't think it had any sort of transitional anything; the only screens were the title, the maze screen, and the quiz screen.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Archon 2 might be what you're thinking of? Or perhaps Dark Legions.

Checked out these, unfortunately no. I'm pretty sure it's a 2000's game, definitely not 90s.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do you remember what platform it was on? Were the pieces fighting on the main board or would it switch to another field when they fought?

e: what was the viewpoint? Was the field made of hexes or a square grid? Was it something similar to Heroes of Might & Magic battles?

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 19, 2020

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Do you remember what platform it was on? Were the pieces fighting on the main board or would it switch to another field when they fought?

It was a PC game, everything took place on the main board, you and the opponent were not on the field, instead you would put pieces on the board and each piece had a move set and some sort of attack rating that I can't exactly remember how it worked. You would continuously place pieces and fight your way to the opposing side of the board. You fought a series of bosses each with a different power they could use to influence the board, I think you would be the person you defeated for the next boss, I'm not sure about that.

Edit: I think it was a square grid, 3/4ths view, your pieces would start at the bottom and move up, not left to right

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cinnamon rollout posted:

It was a PC game, everything took place on the main board, you and the opponent were not on the field, instead you would put pieces on the board and each piece had a move set and some sort of attack rating that I can't exactly remember how it worked. You would continuously place pieces and fight your way to the opposing side of the board. You fought a series of bosses each with a different power they could use to influence the board, I think you would be the person you defeated for the next boss, I'm not sure about that.

Edit: I think it was a square grid, 3/4ths view, your pieces would start at the bottom and move up, not left to right

Hmm, sounds interesting. Sadly my Google-fu isn't strong enough to figure out how to search for it without just getting to all those auto-chess games coming out lately. Sorry. :/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

cinnamon rollout posted:

Can you remember any of the pieces?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Can you remember any of the pieces?

I can remember one piece, a gargoyle, I can't remember exactly what was special about it though.

Edit: I do remember the different pieces had different costs for summoning onto the field

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
What's the name of the web game where the guy is running and jumping across buildings during an alien invasion? I think it begins with a c.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

temple posted:

What's the name of the web game where the guy is running and jumping across buildings during an alien invasion? I think it begins with a c.

Canabalt?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Yes, thanks!

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
There's an old real-time isometric game I used to love screwing around with. I found it on a demo disk in the early to mid '00s but the disk itself was much older. It's the only game that stands out to me. I don't think it was PC Gamer but it could have been. I've trawled those archives and haven't found the game.

I recall picking up loads of useless items. Palm fronds, broken things, trash, cups, but no arms or armor. I think those were rare for some reason, possibly because you were dumped in some kind of cave prison system or something like that.

The art style was extremely fuzzy. I don't mean I don't remember the art style - the graphics were just kind of dirty and indistinct.

I know that's not much info to go on and the game probably isn't even playable on modern systems but I would love to figure out what it is. I've been revisiting these memories for years.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Avernum?

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Avernum is actually a remake of an older game called Exile, that might be it.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
It's not anything by Spiderweb. Good games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's not Arcanum is it? Although I don't remember cave prisons there so probably not.