Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I posted this in another thread, but I just realized this morning that I'm probably going to graduate with like a month and a half of benefits left and it just doesn't feel right.

You should have just taken Calculus II three times and Phys I and II each twice like I did and you wouldn't have that problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Just got off my 1st real job since grad school and it was definitely more fun/much better going back to school than being 1st on a ship, even if I was making 10k/week instead of spending all my savings. If you can take time to go back to school for anything, do it. Take hard classes, overload on units, coach a sport, do all the weird/hard poo poo there is and get involved. Making money is cool but actually working sucks dick.

I thought grad school was much easier than undergrad and working, just prioritize and plan, be proactive. If I can get dual masters in 2 years, noone here has an excuse to be afraid of it.

45 days of not sleeping, not working out, dealing with unmotivated people that just want to make money without working, getting tripped up on the dumbest poo poo, having nightmares about how the plant/people are going to blow up. The money isnt even worth it, maybe I'll go back to school for a PhD, Michigan has a cool program in Design Science, just need a thesis.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 18, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

You should have just taken Calculus II three times and Phys I and II each twice like I did and you wouldn't have that problem

Well I did, but that was before the military lol

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Academically grad school was much easier than undergrad for me as well. Emotionally and financially, lol give me undergrad.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've got 15 months and some days left of Post 9/11, what's that wind up as in grad school semesters?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flying_Crab posted:

I've got 15 months and some days left of Post 9/11, what's that wind up as in grad school semesters?

I think that's about what I had going into it. They do scale the time based on if you are going full-time or not. I originally just thought they bill you for 4 months full-time, part-time, whatever. That is certainly not the case, even though noone has been able to explain to me the math. I just know what my benefit months remaining are semester to semester. I think my credits per semester have been 9-7-6-3-3-3 and then will be finishing with 1-1.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Flying_Crab posted:

That’s a good bit of it right there. At least half way, if not more.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Heh I got an extension on my Voc Rehab Bennies because between college and law school I was at like 52 months. Suck my wake poorboys

Flying_Crab posted:

That sounds like 4 full grad school semesters, maybe 5 now that they break it down by the day

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 18, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Filed the FAFSA just in case. Now waiting to see how 2020 will gently caress me.

E: Just to explain a bit better, Stafford loans are the cheapest way of me not having to front cash for my tuition at the start of the semester. My firm doesn't reimburse me until they see grades. So each semester it's Take Loan->Pay School->Take Class->Submit Grades->Get Reimbursed->Pay Loan->Repeat. I pay off the interest every month between principal payoffs.

EBB fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 18, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

If I had the Savings account, I probably wouldn't care, but otherwise I'd probably take the student loan rather than get reimbursed by work. Has to get approved by management and there is an OBLISERV involved (or has been at both the places I've worked).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Work requires 2 years regardless of dollar amount after paying up. Prorated, fortunately.

I get 10k a year now.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

e: nm

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

10k a year, first 5200 is untaxed, golden handcuffs for a year after the last dollar is paid out. It's a good deal.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I think that's about what I had going into it. They do scale the time based on if you are going full-time or not. I originally just thought they bill you for 4 months full-time, part-time, whatever. That is certainly not the case, even though noone has been able to explain to me the math. I just know what my benefit months remaining are semester to semester. I think my credits per semester have been 9-7-6-3-3-3 and then will be finishing with 1-1.

for non full-time, it is just the number of credit hours you take divided by what is considered full time (12 for undergrad, varies by school and program for grad). So somebody in an undergrad program who only went half time (6 hours) could go for 8 years. Wouldn't recommend it as BAH requires >50% rate of pursuit and they'd only have 96 credit hours completed after eight years.

Pretty sure I read each month is considered 30 days no matter how many days are in the month. This is mostly relevant for the first and last month of the semester as they wouldn't be complete months. if you are going full time and in January class starts on the 18th, you use 12 days of benefits and your BAH payment will be prorated to 12 times your daily rate.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Full time depends on your school and the school certifying official. In my example, full time is 6 credits every 9 weeks. To get full BAH, I have to take one 3 credit class at a physical school locations and the BAH depends on the zip code of the physical place you attend the class in. For certificates, I do not understand their count. I did two eCornell certificates (non credit), while still on active duty. The certificates lasted 6 months, but I was only charged a month and a half.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My strategy professor was chatting us up, he had read my bio and asked what I was planning on doing after graduation.

I said "well, this never sounded stupid until that question, but....the exact same job I'm doing now?"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I mean, I love my loving job, y'all. If a genie gave me 3 wishes I'd fire two people there and then fire the first woman again, but it's a fantastic job

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
Accepted to the school and approved by the VA, using the GI bill to realize my dream to do a Ph.D. :toot:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Poise posted:

Accepted to the school and approved by the VA, using the GI bill to realize my dream to do a Ph.D. :toot:

Mazel tov, what are you studying?

Poise
Jul 28, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Mazel tov, what are you studying?

Cosmology

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Poise posted:

Cosmology

Don't get fondled by Neil Degrasse Tyson.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cyks posted:

for non full-time, it is just the number of credit hours you take divided by what is considered full time (12 for undergrad, varies by school and program for grad). So somebody in an undergrad program who only went half time (6 hours) could go for 8 years. Wouldn't recommend it as BAH requires >50% rate of pursuit and they'd only have 96 credit hours completed after eight years.

Pretty sure I read each month is considered 30 days no matter how many days are in the month. This is mostly relevant for the first and last month of the semester as they wouldn't be complete months. if you are going full time and in January class starts on the 18th, you use 12 days of benefits and your BAH payment will be prorated to 12 times your daily rate.

Yeah, I haven't been getting BAH, but doing 6 grad credits on top of my job was.........unpleasant. That semester I did 9 (one was a Stat class online) was godawful. And now I'm done with classes and just working on my Thesis.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Poise posted:

I'm toying with the thought of a finance phd, but it will take at least 4-5 more years and I'm already sitting pretty close to a decade of college at this point. I'll have ~15 months of GI bill left after my MSF, so that would be a nice little addition to the ~$40k the school would pay me for the first two academic years.

Finance phds make a shitload of money in the regular job market and are often the highest or second highest set of professors at any university. At my current school they only fall behind the med school profs in salary. It would be two years of classes and three years of dissertation study/defense while teaching undergrad.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Guess who's got two thumbs

and a fake SEAL in his class

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Yessss

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

GD_American posted:

:getin:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

Share stories, how many medals etc.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Did he kill Osama

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

loudly ask his opinion about war criminal eddie gallagher

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Booger Presley posted:

Share stories, how many medals etc.

We have an MBA class on this campus and one on another campus, we're all taking the international trip to Korea/Cambodia together and graduating together but might have met twice so far. He's in the other cohort, which is why we're just now finding out about this.

So "in my class" might be a stretch. Call it Stolen Valor stolen valor.

We all had a briefing together on the trip and he ran his mouth and got one of our classmates to looking. One Google search finds him, Navy data entry puke from the late 80s, called himself a SEAL and runs a government logistics company. This Ain't Hell apparently had a long-running war with the guy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Would there be a reason why my MHA payment is about a grand less than it was Fall 2019 or Spring 2019 semesters? Still in same program (MSW), still at same school (USC), and same credit hours (14). It is a virtual program and I have been receiving the housing rate for LA since I started my internship in Spring 2019. Now the rate isn't even that or where I live at.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nick Soapdish posted:

Would there be a reason why my MHA payment is about a grand less than it was Fall 2019 or Spring 2019 semesters? Still in same program (MSW), still at same school (USC), and same credit hours (14). It is a virtual program and I have been receiving the housing rate for LA since I started my internship in Spring 2019. Now the rate isn't even that or where I live at.

Did school run the entire month?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
What's the rate you are receiving?
If it's completely virtual you only get the national average of ~$850. You need at least one physical class to get the city rate, even if you go to a physical class just once a month.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Did school run the entire month?

That's probably it, I forgot that it pays in arrears. I was thrown off that I got a December payment that was a bit larger because technically there was an additional week of classes for exams even though my program finished up the semester the week prior.

Cyks posted:

What's the rate you are receiving?
If it's completely virtual you only get the national average of ~$850. You need at least one physical class to get the city rate, even if you go to a physical class just once a month.

I was getting that during my first semester in Fall 2018 when I had a virtual field placement but since Spring 2019 when I started a local field placement / internship I have received MHA for the main campus location (LA) and not my local area (Indy)

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's probably it, I forgot that it pays in arrears. I was thrown off that I got a December payment that was a bit larger because technically there was an additional week of classes for exams even though my program finished up the semester the week prior.

I was getting that during my first semester in Fall 2018 when I had a virtual field placement but since Spring 2019 when I started a local field placement / internship I have received MHA for the main campus location (LA) and not my local area (Indy)

I think the VA recently changed the MHA to the area where the satellite campus is and not the main campus. In your case it could be a changed MHA and the less then full month of active school.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Meshka posted:

I think the VA recently changed the MHA to the area where the satellite campus is and not the main campus. In your case it could be a changed MHA and the less then full month of active school.

That's a fair point but I don't think it applies as 1. it should have hit my previous semester's MHA and 2. this is my second bite at the apple as I used my GI Bill for an MS in my previous career back in 2014-15

quote:

The law requires the monthly housing allowance (MHA) under the Post-9/11 GI Bill program to be calculated based on the zip code of the campus where the student physically attends the majority of classes, rather than the location of the institution of higher learning where the student is enrolled. This applied to the first enrollment in an educational program on or after August 1, 2018.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The VA’s sent out a bunch of emails to me about how the rules changed in 18 or whatever but they’re only now getting around to actually adjusting the rates and might charge back any “accidental” overpayment that occurred between the rule change and now unless you file a request for a reprieve and ask really nicely.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the rates changed as well. So, coupled with your partial month, you're gonna get E5 BAH rate now, straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Think I better flee to the mountains while this Corona virus situation sorts itself out