Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I used to live there about 15 years ago, this really shouldn't even rate as embarrassing by their standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Reading Reddit dorks arguments in favour of Baron Corbin is too much for me. I don't know if they are just trying to be contrarians or if they are so unconsciously reactionary that their instinct is to back stupid opinions with all their might. Handwaiving away decreasing ratings and live attendance with the fact that people boo Corbin as evidence he is a great heel. I've seen so many people argue that if viewers don't like Corbin being all over the show they should stop watching, but then also argue that decreasing ratings are due to a million other reasons but never that people actually don't like Corbin getting incessant heat every show.

My hunch is that if these people didn't have an online community to troll with their dumb contrarian opinions, they wouldn't be fans of Baron Corbin. I don't think these people watch Corbin matches and go "hell yeah another chinlock!" without also fantasizing about how many people will get riled up when they say they liked the match.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The biggest Corbin defenders on reddit also have the same tendencies as many of the people featured on this thread specifically: A frankly psychotic hatred of Dave Meltzer, a hatred for AEW and their fans, a pathological loathing of "internet smarks", and reactionary personal politics (if you dig through their histories there's almost always a post mocking ACH or misgendering Nyla Rose buried in there). They like Corbin solely because he makes the people they don't like mad, and to them that's enough to be a good heel despite all actual evidence.

Also it's weird how like the main unifying theme for the dumbest and most reactionary wrestling fans on the internet is a shared loathing for Dave Meltzer. Despite anything else they may believe, they all loving hate him and I can't figure out why it's the unifying factor. The guy who posts the weekly"your dumbest loving hot takes" thread on reddit has the user name "DaveMeltzer1199" and it's like, what did that dude do to you to live so rent free in your head?

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 18, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Corbin seems to understand that WWE exists for him to siphon money from so that’s cool. It’s just everything else about him is so loving miserable.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Corbin losing his MiTB challenge to Jinder Mahal by roll up is still amazing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

It's insane how many people trip over themselves to call Corbin a "great heel" when he's terrible at all the things a heel is supposed to do, which is make people want to tune into TV and buy tickets/PPVs to see him lose. Like, a heel's job isn't to troll on Twitter in between slapping chinlocks on Raw, it's to, you know ... draw money. His big PPV main event was one of WWE's biggest business failures of the decade, and ratings were so bad with him on top that they literally turned it into a storyline blaming him for the drop.

People stopped watching because the Baron Corbin GM story was so awful, then the McMahons told the audience that the bad ratings were Corbins fault alone and then people basically went "yeah. Okay" and now the dude is ratings poison.

It would be fascinating if it wasnt such horrible TV.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
It's funny people give Corbin credit for "getting heat" when he was a heel GM unavoidably all over the show, and constantly going over faces in boring matches where he was the weak link. You could take any generic oaf and put him out there every week, let him talk on the mic for 10 minutes about how local sports team bad and town residents fat, and then have him pin a fan favorite and he will also get consistently booed. It won't draw any additional money, but the people that paid to see the show will react with boos when they see generic oaf heel so that is somehow proof the heel is succeeding in his role.

I'd also want to see the overlap of Baron Corbin superfans and people that thought Jinder's reign was a great success.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

beepo posted:

It's funny people give Corbin credit for "getting heat" when he was a heel GM unavoidably all over the show, and constantly going over faces in boring matches where he was the weak link. You could take any generic oaf and put him out there every week, let him talk on the mic for 10 minutes about how local sports team bad and town residents fat, and then have him pin a fan favorite and he will also get consistently booed. It won't draw any additional money, but the people that paid to see the show will react with boos when they see generic oaf heel so that is somehow proof the heel is succeeding in his role.

I'd also want to see the overlap of Baron Corbin superfans and people that thought Jinder's reign was a great success.

The Venn diagram is a circle, and it's made up entirely of that guy someone posted a few months ago who said Crown Jewel was the sole reason women in Saudi Arabia were allowed to have driver's licenses.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't think I've sat through a single Corbin singles match on the main roster in all the years he's been there. Why would anyone subject themselves to a boring slog of a match and terrible one note promos is beyond me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MJeff posted:

People stopped watching because the Baron Corbin GM story was so awful, then the McMahons told the audience that the bad ratings were Corbins fault alone and then people basically went "yeah. Okay" and now the dude is ratings poison.

It would be fascinating if it wasnt such horrible TV.

You forgot the final step in that order.

- They then continued to push Baron Corbin right at the top of the card and he still had influence and power anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I still think that the bookers of the show blaming the bad booking on Baron Corbin then saying they'll improve things by becoming the bookers of the show is some of the craziest poo poo that's come from WWE over the last few years.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The best part of that is how they basically promised The Elite were coming to WWE in that segment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I still think that the bookers of the show blaming the bad booking on Baron Corbin then saying they'll improve things by becoming the bookers of the show is some of the craziest poo poo that's come from WWE over the last few years.

FINALLY the McMahons were back in charge! After.... being in charge the entire time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

But it all worked out for the good because they were bringing in new talent to refresh everyone's interest. Like... Lars Sullivan.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JT Smiley posted:

I don't think I've sat through a single Corbin singles match on the main roster in all the years he's been there. Why would anyone subject themselves to a boring slog of a match and terrible one note promos is beyond me.

His Summerslam match with Finn is great actually

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God that's right they aired several weeks of vignettes of NXT people coming up, almost all of whom promptly disappeared/never did anything again only for WWE to call up a fresh batch of NXT callups like 3 months later... including Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa right at the climax of their year-long feud, but just randomly made them a tag team again and the overwork hosed up Ciampa's already hosed neck and he had to vacate the title and the feud never got a blow-off... then Gargano just went back to staying in NXT for good anyway.

Rarity posted:

His Summerslam match with Finn is great actually

That was the perfect use of Corbin in a heel role and something they need to do far more often: the cowardly heel brags and talks themselves up while continually cheating or stacking the deck, then finally gets in a one-on-one situation with the face who just beats their rear end mercilessly.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Corbin/Cena "feud" was one of the few times I actively cheered for Cena breaking out the shovel

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I want Corbin to regrow his skullet, bring back the bartender vest but keep the crown. Three faces of baron baby lets go

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The funniest thing was their promise that things would change was predicated on them thinking they had gotten The Elite.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Seams posted:

I want Corbin to regrow his skullet, bring back the bartender vest but keep the crown. Three faces of baron baby lets go

Corbin has had a pretty strange career arc.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God that's right they aired several weeks of vignettes of NXT people coming up, almost all of whom promptly disappeared/never did anything again only for WWE to call up a fresh batch of NXT callups like 3 months later... including Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa right at the climax of their year-long feud, but just randomly made them a tag team again and the overwork hosed up Ciampa's already hosed neck and he had to vacate the title and the feud never got a blow-off... then Gargano just went back to staying in NXT for good anyway.

Not everyone disappeared! Lacey ended up getting a massive push that continues to this day! :sigh:

EDIT: Looking at all six of them...

Lacey ended up getting pushed into a title feud with Becky and has been a constant presence ever since.
Nikki ended up as Alexa's partner, which hey, there are worse things to happen to you.
Heavy Machinery...yeah. Comedy tag team that never gets to wrestle, but at least Otis has a love story going on with Mandy at the moment? :v:
Lars was murdered by Kalisto and thus we were spared from a Lars/Cena Wrestlemania match.
What's an EC3?

Things could probably be worse for most of them. I guess Nikki is the one who's ended up in the best spot?

Vandar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 19, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Otis getting turned into a fat horny loser was the most predictable career development possible

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

MJeff posted:

The best part of that is how they basically promised The Elite were coming to WWE in that segment.

Yo I missed that

What'd they say/do?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Yo I missed that

What'd they say/do?

During the time when the Elite were deciding their future and had offers from WWE, NJPW, and AEW all on the table, they did a big segment on Raw where the McMahons came out and promised "huge changes," with most people in the company convinced that they had a done deal.

And then AEW launched and the "big change" became a bunch of random NXT midcarders who went on to do nothing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

The Corbin/Cena "feud" was one of the few times I actively cheered for Cena breaking out the shovel

I so badly wish we could've gotten Cena breaking out the golden shovel one more time for Lars.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Benne posted:

During the time when the Elite were deciding their future and had offers from WWE, NJPW, and AEW all on the table, they did a big segment on Raw where the McMahons came out and promised "huge changes," with most people in the company convinced that they had a done deal.

And then AEW launched and the "big change" became a bunch of random NXT midcarders who went on to do nothing.

Niiiiice

I kind of dropped out around the Usos snagging "superkick party" tbh so any further bickering/trickery skipped past me like mongoose

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/ifyouseekcasey/status/1219003776528527360?s=20

Isn’t it the goal of all heels to get psychos on twitter to hate you, celebrate your actual real life misfortunes, and hurl insane nonsense at you, the person, instead of just garnering heel heat towards the character?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Being happy someone isn't on TV is obvious go away heat. It's always obvious when someone has go away heat vs. good heeling and I don't know why these idiots don't get it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The inability of some people to understand the difference between "That guy sucks, I want to see {wrestler} throw him through a table!" and "That guy sucks, I want {company} to fire him" will never cease to amaze me.

Like, right now, MJF has nuclear heat in AEW. People really, REALLY want to see Cody kick the poo poo out of him. Which means he's doing his job well. People will tune in, buy tickets, purchase PPVs to see him get his rear end kicked.

Brandi has no heat. People don't want to see the Nightmare Collective get their comeuppance. They just... don't want to see the Nightmare Collective.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

And that's not to say I don't want Brandi on the show, just not in this confusing, not particularly well written storyline.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't want to see MJF wrestle at all but do want him to do a couple minute promos where someone comes out and beats him up at the end. a nice 5 minute package of entertainment. which type of heat is this

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
MJF is Simon Diamond for 2020.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

MJF is Simon Diamond for 2020.

So MJF needs a Big Dick?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Numero6 posted:

So MJF needs a Big Dick?

have you seen MJF's tights? there's no more room

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The day of the show he came to the Harland Sanders statue a block from my office and read the proclamation lol

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/SLTDWrestling/status/1219691780662333448?s=20

SLDT is the idiot

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

there exist subway posters that aren't graffiti'd on?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lol that's some rad nWo poo poo right there.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

not shown: the backwards "B" carved on dude's face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

OPs replies in the mentions sure are something.

Edit: I don’t know why I am clicking through on these but I’m seeing a lot of vaguely recognizable wrestling Twitter personalities clutching their pearls over this, which is hilarious.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 21, 2020