Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
David cross is just a oval office the whole time, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unlike our charming bois who are eternally polite and well-spoken

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gone Fashing posted:

i think the only ep of this show i havent listened to is the david cross one because of how bad everyone said it was

It’s really not that bad. They’re all just being ultra ironic the whole time and there are a couple funny little moments. They are doing it through like a cell phone call and it’s really early into the show so there is def a disconnect. It’s not bad though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Gone Fashing posted:

i think the only ep of this show i havent listened to is the david cross one because of how bad everyone said it was

it's fine

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/Moon_lust__/status/1218042712336695296
Bad kitty

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

imagine hitting report and then also thinking you're cool lmao....

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lmao

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1218244160026660866?s=19

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lmao @ stav being in a special class that consists of feeding him.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Terror Sweat posted:

The hour long compilation of African guy, ending with Sebastian the crab is hilarious
lobster

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

What the gently caress is so special about a Yankees fitted hat am I missing something here

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the episode where Nick keeps trying to say "can have a little as a treat" but they interrupt him and never let him do it? NOT the more recent episode where he gives this thoughts on the meme

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ok I'm gonna pull up but only because I don't actually wanna say it

I liked the most recent one, it's always funny when they're just arguing about dumb minutiae

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
the bonobo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pharmaskittle posted:

Ok I'm gonna pull up but only because I don't actually wanna say it

mister anderson, what good is a slur... if you cannot post it

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
theres a slur on ur mind

dont post it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pizza Segregationist posted:

What the gently caress is so special about a Yankees fitted hat am I missing something here
brain-poisoned people who have lived in new york for 36 months want to cool like “those” people on TV whose communities they have displaced

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also metro cops in plainclothes all wear them there

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

should have gotten a mets fitted cap love da mets

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Adam (smugly): there were jewish slave owners..

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Aw gently caress this got me good

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It felt bad to be probated for saying the slur when I'm disabled IRL in the precise way that has seen me called it numerous times over the course of my life. Using a word that hurt me as a joke is helpful to me, in a way. I know this post is extremely bad and very not in the spirit of this thread, but well, I'm

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

It felt bad to be probated for saying the slur when I'm disabled IRL in the precise way that has seen me called it numerous times over the course of my life. Using a word that hurt me as a joke is helpful to me, in a way. I know this post is extremely bad and very not in the spirit of this thread, but well, I'm
if this is true, the mods and reporter should feel very bad. it was ableist for them to projectsomething onto you that isnt your identity

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

if this is true, the mods and reporter should feel very bad. it was ableist for them to projectsomething onto you that isnt your identity

I understand it was a tense time when I posted it but it felt lovely to get probated for it, IDK lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KoRMaK posted:

Honestly, they should resign in shame.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

What was the song that Nick & Stav were trying to sing to the tune of in the longass singing portion of last week's regular ep? The one where Nick ends up saying that it's all been downhill since the Australia trip. It seemed kinda specific and they were on the same page with it, but damned if I could pin it down.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Fsmhunk posted:

i'm literally a gay Jewish man and got called a Nazi for defending the right to say fa- i mean, for some hosed up poo poo. then got probated for a month cause I got mad about that.

it's important to "take back" offensive language to erode the power slurs have. "ironically" using offensive language displaces the target of the humor from the marginalized person to the type of person who uses that language. when nick said he thought "kink" was a slur for a Chinese jew, he's not making fun of Chinese people, or Jewish people, he's making fun of dumb loving racists.

it's a thin line to walk, sure, but the notion that it encourages naughty real life behavior is insane. trump didn't get elected because of naughty things people say online and posting with a pure enough vocabulary won't get rid of bigotry.

the only thing that really matters is improving material conditions for marginalized people and building solidarity so that the actual bigots don't have so much loving power. this seems so obvious that i feel stupid for saying it, especially in the cum town thread. in conclusion I'm gay.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

What was the song that Nick & Stav were trying to sing to the tune of in the longass singing portion of last week's regular ep? The one where Nick ends up saying that it's all been downhill since the Australia trip. It seemed kinda specific and they were on the same page with it, but damned if I could pin it down.

Volare/con te partiro by Andrea Bocelli I believe

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
An important aspect of jokes is being able to understand the difference between the subject and the target of a joke. For example : I love women, I believe they are better and greater than men. Also, if it wasn't for women, we could not have any cookies.

The SUBJECT of that joke is the sexist stereotype "women should be baking". The TARGET of the joke is the stereotype itself and the dumbasses that have those types of sexist thoughts.The mod and people reporting this thread have demonstrated they can't understand the difference between both those things. If only I knew of a name I could use to describe them...

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The David crows episode was my introduction to the show and I thought it was pretty funny

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I thought it was funny because he seemed super pissed off about the whole thing. Lol then passing around some earbuds and he could only talk to one of them at a time was frustrating him

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

Volare/con te partiro by Andrea Bocelli I believe

Lol totally, thank you cum friend

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Gay Horney posted:

i'm literally a gay Jewish man and got called a Nazi for defending the right to say fa- i mean, for some hosed up poo poo. then got probated for a month cause I got mad about that.

it's important to "take back" offensive language to erode the power slurs have. "ironically" using offensive language displaces the target of the humor from the marginalized person to the type of person who uses that language. when nick said he thought "kink" was a slur for a Chinese jew, he's not making fun of Chinese people, or Jewish people, he's making fun of dumb loving racists.

it's a thin line to walk, sure, but the notion that it encourages naughty real life behavior is insane. trump didn't get elected because of naughty things people say online and posting with a pure enough vocabulary won't get rid of bigotry.

the only thing that really matters is improving material conditions for marginalized people and building solidarity so that the actual bigots don't have so much loving power. this seems so obvious that i feel stupid for saying it, especially in the cum town thread. in conclusion I'm gay.

ok but have you considered that some re-, uh, I mean, not very smart, not-gay guy could read your post, and assume it was tacit approval to say the "f word", therefore outweighing any context for your post and/or your worldview? for some reason?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Odddzy posted:

An important aspect of jokes is being able to understand the difference between the subject and the target of a joke. For example : I love women, I believe they are better and greater than men. Also, if it wasn't for women, we could not have any cookies.

The SUBJECT of that joke is the sexist stereotype "women should be baking". The TARGET of the joke is the stereotype itself and the dumbasses that have those types of sexist thoughts.The mod and people reporting this thread have demonstrated they can't understand the difference between both those things. If only I knew of a name I could use to describe them...

the target of the joke is still women should be making cookies tho so that joke sucks, bad example

the kink one is a much better example lol holy poo poo it leaves you the listener to do all the processing and you're just there spinning it over in your head for like a minute, "wtf is he saying"

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

KoRMaK posted:

the target of the joke is still women should be making cookies tho so that joke sucks, bad example

the kink one is a much better example lol holy poo poo it leaves you the listener to do all the processing and you're just there spinning it over in your head for like a minute, "wtf is he saying"

Norm Macdonald explains it that way.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Scionix posted:

ok but have you considered that some re-, uh, I mean, not very smart, not-gay guy could read your post, and assume it was tacit approval to say the "f word", therefore outweighing any context for your post and/or your worldview? for some reason?
here, in the cum town thread?

I guess its kinda the same prob the subreddit had, i was starting to become unable to tell the difference between the bigots and the jokes. I hold the cuimtown thread in higher regard than reddit and after hanging around here for a while feel mostly comfortable that posters here know how to wield it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

1st of all, the joke is:

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1217279691494588416?s=21

2nd of all: the target of the joke is the deliverer of the joke, because the joke and its delivery infer that the Joke-Teller is themselves ignorant of women and their roles in politics. The whole point of “ironic blank” comedy is to highlight how loving [REDACTED] people who really think that way are.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bust Rodd posted:

1st of all, the joke is:

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1217279691494588416?s=21

2nd of all: the target of the joke is the deliverer of the joke, because the joke and its delivery infer that the Joke-Teller is themselves ignorant of women and their roles in politics. The whole point of “ironic blank” comedy is to highlight how loving [REDACTED] people who really think that way are.

Check the date below. (Sorry, I don't know how to post tweets on SA)

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1065896200627351553?lang=en

2nd of all: I know that and agree, just didn't explain myself properly. But my sentiment was there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, ngl you guys are getting overly defensive in that annoying internet-justification way. They say what they say because they think it's funny and they realize that jokes aren't some sort of moral litmus test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean ultimately the “point” of it is to just be funny, but I think it is important to point out that you can say hosed up things that don’t come from a hateful place, and if you don’t understand that internally, you’ll never understand that style of comedy and spend all day cancelling people on Twitter like Aimee Terese

To Nick’s credit, one fo the best things about the podcast is his ability to fluidly move from doing a racist accent bit to a deep and well reasoned deconstruction of comedy back to a bit about how all Chinese people are prostitutes.

Also it completely owns that Norm just recycled his own joke

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 19, 2020