Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Dragon Ball Kakarot is just hitting all those sweet nostalgia buttons for me. I've seen some negativity on the fighting system, but I think it works for the game. It's nothing that's going to be shifting any paradigms, but it's functional and fun.

The fishing is good, if very simple, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Zinkraptor posted:

In the Megaman Zero games, almost every boss (pretty much all of them that don’t survive the fight) gets dramatically cut in half if you finish them off with the sword. Interestingly, they’re cut before they deliver their last words. I guess it takes a bit before a case of “sliced cleanly in two” kicks in if you’re a robot.

I felt very disappointed any time I got the last hit with the gun or a charged slash (which doesn’t count for some reason).

Hey, if you have a DS, ZX Advent give all the non-human bosses unique animations for kills with charged shots as well. Some aren't amazing, but sometimes you just blow a hole clean through a huge boss and it looks/feels amazing. The Ice element bosses in particular just get cored.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You might want to play Metal Gear Rising if you're up for chatting with sliced up bosses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kitfox88 posted:

Link to one of these please and thank you :dong:

Or better yet one for FO4

They're usually just called stuff like "Alternate Start" or whatever, there's one for Fallout 4 as well. Sometimes the devs get up their own rear end adding features, but the ability to just start Fallout 4 as a raider or something in the middle of nowhere is nice. Same with Skyrim, the alternate start mod just drops you into the game and you pick where to start, the main quest only opening up when you willingly enter helgen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
From the Shin Megami Tensei megathread. The Switch release of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, that weird SMT/Fire Emblem psuedo-crossover, added a new option when starting a new game.

https://twitter.com/WT_Fits/status/1218283000443486208

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What’s that other time manipulation 360 FPS? I remember being mediocre but it was a near launch title

E: found it, Timeshift

Opopanax has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Jan 18, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

From the Shin Megami Tensei megathread. The Switch release of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, that weird SMT/Fire Emblem psuedo-crossover, added a new option when starting a new game.

https://twitter.com/WT_Fits/status/1218283000443486208

Can this be revised in the settings menu, or do we have to commit for the entire playthrough? :ohdear:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

why would you not want a girl to wear glasses. glasses are cute

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
She's going to trip and fall everywhere.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

Hey, if you have a DS, ZX Advent give all the non-human bosses unique animations for kills with charged shots as well. Some aren't amazing, but sometimes you just blow a hole clean through a huge boss and it looks/feels amazing. The Ice element bosses in particular just get cored.

I skipped those as a kid but I might give them a shot when the collection comes out, now that I am an adult and can choose to throw away money on all sorts of mega men if I so desire.

Samuringa posted:

You might want to play Metal Gear Rising if you're up for chatting with sliced up bosses.

You're right, I do want to play Metal Gear Rising. For a fourth playthrough.

Most of the cool "little things" about MGR have been discussed to death, but I do like how if you cut an enemy's arms off he'll just angrily try to kick you to death before giving up (at least, I remember them giving up and disappearing, but that may have been an invention of my brain because I can't find evidence online of that part actually happening )

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Zinkraptor posted:

I skipped those as a kid but I might give them a shot when the collection comes out, now that I am an adult and can choose to throw away money on all sorts of mega men if I so desire.

You're right, I do want to play Metal Gear Rising. For a fourth playthrough.

Most of the cool "little things" about MGR have been discussed to death, but I do like how if you cut an enemy's arms off he'll just angrily try to kick you to death before giving up (at least, I remember them giving up and disappearing, but that may have been an invention of my brain because I can't find evidence online of that part actually happening )

If you slice them down to like one limb, they try to wrestle away and if you leave'm alone for a bit, they activate a camo thing and vanish!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And if you do it to every enemy in a fight, you actually get a score bonus for not killing anyone.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
That's how you would get 0.8 Casualties as a Terminator.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

In contrast, the folks who worked in the death sequences of Origins really amped up the whole thing and it did turn out to be great as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rv-N25qmrU&t=378s

Spoilers for, well, the entire game, obviously

AC: Origins is probably my favorite of the AC games simply because of how good Bayek was.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I really liked most of the humor in Time Splitters 3. Some jokes aged like milk but I was always looking forward to the next cutscene.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

I really liked most of the humor in Time Splitters 3. Some jokes aged like milk but I was always looking forward to the next cutscene.

I miss the Timesplitters series. Some of my favorite memories are playing deathmatches with friends to the sounds of the Chinese restaurant and quacking.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm onto the third fight with the main villain in Quantum Theory, Thanatos, and I like the progression of how the three fights go, with you having more and more of an edge until you can finally fight him properly. Before, he's shielded by a thing in the first fight, so you destroy that thing while avoiding him and his monsters and it triggers the tower transforming, letting you escape him. Then the next time you fight him, he's still too strong to just shoot even with the shield down, but there are mines in the area, and detonating enough of them in his face causes the room to collapse, separating you again. Then this third time, he's been learning how well you fight with Filena, the sidekick, so he makes his own - only as Filena points out, they are new to teamwork so aren't much good at it, but you are, so you use the combo attack and that seems to do quite well. I just haven't beaten that fight yet as he hits really hard and I keep dying, but it's a fun idea.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuebot posted:

They're usually just called stuff like "Alternate Start" or whatever, there's one for Fallout 4 as well. Sometimes the devs get up their own rear end adding features, but the ability to just start Fallout 4 as a raider or something in the middle of nowhere is nice. Same with Skyrim, the alternate start mod just drops you into the game and you pick where to start, the main quest only opening up when you willingly enter helgen.

Oh, I thought they were ones that actually totally removed the quests from the game. :v:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

Half a lifetime later I still laugh when I think about the part where you find a locked door and a version of you from the future shows up and tosses you a key. You ask where he got it and he just shrugs and says “I dunno, the last guy gave it to me.” You continue through the door, eventually coming to a time portal that puts you a few minutes into the past, next to the version of you stuck outside the door, so you toss him the key and shrug and say “I dunno, the last guy gave it to me” when he asks where you got it. They never explain where that key came from in the first place.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They have a lot of fun with that. In one of the levels you walk into a room with a locked door and a pair of consoles. A computer starts demanding that you identify yourself, and when you fail to comply a pair of robots show up. Then Future You pops out of a portal and tells you to hack one of the consoles while he deals with the robots -- and he gives you the password to the console. On hacking the first console, your mission control notes that both consoles have to be hacked simultaneously to get out...so another Future You pops out to hack the other console. This pisses off the computer (there's too many people in the room!) so another set of robots are deployed...and Future You #4 pops out to fight them. Then of course you have to redo the events from each Future You's perspective.

The entire sequence is here.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Half a lifetime later I still laugh when I think about the part where you find a locked door and a version of you from the future shows up and tosses you a key. You ask where he got it and he just shrugs and says “I dunno, the last guy gave it to me.” You continue through the door, eventually coming to a time portal that puts you a few minutes into the past, next to the version of you stuck outside the door, so you toss him the key and shrug and say “I dunno, the last guy gave it to me” when he asks where you got it. They never explain where that key came from in the first place.

Yeah, some cutscene were fantastic! The one where the villain, Jacob Crow, meets his past self in the zombie mansion. It goes like this from what I recall

Old Jacob: Hey im here to help you!
Young Jacob: Grandpa?
Old Jacob: No! It’s me, you idiot!
Young Jacob: .... Grandpa!

That scene always got a laugh out of me. Also, everybody just no-selling Cortez trying to get over his catchphrase “Time to Split!”

My favorite little thing from Time Splitters 3 was the brick. Such a fun weapon to use. Loved making a custom match of all bricks, one hit kill, as many bots and players as possible and just lobbing hell bricks. Chinese restaurant level was good for that because of all the windows to break.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only ever played the original timesplitters and thought it was a bit dull. I keep meaning to get around to getting 2 and future perfect though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BioEnchanted posted:

I only ever played the original timesplitters and thought it was a bit dull. I keep meaning to get around to getting 2 and future perfect though.

Future Perfect was great, but I started with that one and they got less interesting as I worked backwards from there.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Unless I'm having a major memory lapse, I'm pretty sure the single player of the first Timesplitters was just bot matches. 2 & 3 have actual single player campaigns with proper levels, a real story and cut scenes. They're much more interesting games from a single player perspective.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Veotax posted:

Unless I'm having a major memory lapse, I'm pretty sure the single player of the first Timesplitters was just bot matches. 2 & 3 have actual single player campaigns with proper levels, a real story and cut scenes. They're much more interesting games from a single player perspective.

Nah it did use versions of the multiplayer levels but larger and with some bits the multi didn't have and the objective being to get in and grab an object and get out again, the timesplitters started spawning as soon as you grabbed whatever it was. It was very simple though so your memory isn't too far off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
2 is more like a series of disconnected episodes with a thin framing story; 3 does more to tie them together. But they're both good games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Couch deathmatch in Timesplitters 2 in a giant custom built parking garage was the height of fun back in the day

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah there’s a reason it’s considered the spiritual successor to Goldeneye

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I definitely remember some 4 player Timesplitters 2 action back in the day.

Not the actual game mind you, the Snake clone (which in retrospect was more like Tron lightcycles).

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Oh, also the map maker was so good too. It was a bit bear bones but I think my friends and I spent as much time building maps as we did playing them.

And making race tracks for the RC Cat.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Future Perfect was great, but I started with that one and they got less interesting as I worked backwards from there.

This is what I did too and I have to agree. Timesplitters 2 feels like a big step backward after playing FP, it's way more uneven in terms of things like maps and guns. There's a few weapons that show up in 2 that were dramatically improved in FP and they feel positively anemic in the earlier game, the Plasma Autorifle being the most glaring offender imo.

Aiming is also really old school in 2, similar to Goldeneye. Doesn't feel super good when you actually have separate sticks to move and aim though.

dracula vladdy AF has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Jan 18, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
In The Surge 2 if you just press the evade button without moving you'll crouch in place. I have no clue if that's actually helpful in general. However, if you try to attack while crouching you'll do a jumping knee kick, which has to be a Double Dragon reference, and if it isn't I choose to believe it is anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That move is super useful and it's also situational! If an attack is coming at you high your character will duck and do a rising knee, and if a low one is coming they'll jump and do a karate chop instead. It gives you i frames and counts as a dodge, and both of them stun the enemy for a bit.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does the crouch by itself help, or does it need the follow-through? Either way it's cool, though I still have no clue what my combat style will be in the end.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Does the crouch by itself help, or does it need the follow-through? Either way it's cool, though I still have no clue what my combat style will be in the end.

The crouch dodges high horizontal attacks, but in practice it's usually better to just dodge away

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Figured. I'll prolly experiment with it some to see if the rising knee/jump chop fits my style.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

A really similiar thing happens in the last few minutes of Simon the Sorcerer 2 and I remember laughing way too much at how silly it was, back then.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

They explained the mechanics behind it in the final boss fight, though. Because in that one, (spoilers for a really old game)you are the first version of yourself through and so your handler is the one who has to invent the time portal. Then you get to redo everything and make it go differently this time so that the next version can come along and do the same. Every other time, the events happened exactly alike because the time stream was already in its completed loop and you were just riding it. So at one point in the first mission, the first version of Cortez was in a bad enough situation that the handler invented the portal then, and then they kept looping around until one Cortez found the key and the time stream tightened and stabilized around just passing that same key back and forth. I know, never analyze time travel, but I remember the dialogue covering something to this effect that could just be applied to every other situation.

I think one of my favorite gags with future versions of himself was the cutscene for getting the robot ID badge soldered to Cortez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLejhfejNw4&t=1024s
(17 minutes in if the timestamp doesn't work)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Thanks for never porting the TimeSplitters series to PC, Eidos.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Der-Wreck posted:

Yeah, some cutscene were fantastic! The one where the villain, Jacob Crow, meets his past self in the zombie mansion. It goes like this from what I recall

Old Jacob: Hey im here to help you!
Young Jacob: Grandpa?
Old Jacob: No! It’s me, you idiot!
Young Jacob: .... Grandpa!

That scene always got a laugh out of me. Also, everybody just no-selling Cortez trying to get over his catchphrase “Time to Split!”

My favorite little thing from Time Splitters 3 was the brick. Such a fun weapon to use. Loved making a custom match of all bricks, one hit kill, as many bots and players as possible and just lobbing hell bricks. Chinese restaurant level was good for that because of all the windows to break.

My favourite's Cortez just killing time waiting for the lift in the cyberpunk era with a spy who was investigating the same facility.

"So, uh... you been with the company long?"

"...You get dental?"

And of course; "It's TIME to SPLIT!" ":stare:.... I'll get the next one..."