Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blockhouse posted:

Oh hey, Overhaul's done. Now I can start watching this show again.

I remember a lot of "they'll fix all these problems in the anime" when the manga thread was discussing this arc. Huge bummer that it sounds like aside from making Deku vs Overhaul more visually interesting they really, really did not.
I think the Overhaul arc was handled pretty well all things considered.

I just hope that if we have another season after this that there isn't another movie eating up Bones' staff during production. Again, everything has looked alright since the scheduling was good but we've had very few legit good cuts this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Highway Attack scene wasn't perfect, but hell I enjoyed it. It was almost as good as it could've been. I'd be fine with them paring back on gore a bit if they left the bits of Spinner's characterisation in. Odd thing to just drop.

Mulderman posted:

I think they did. The faster pacing was a real help here.

Not saying much when the only way to truly capture the feel of the manga would to be just not put out an episode every other week, release a couple unfinished and then make like a third of the episodes in the second half about 10 minutes long.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dragonatrix posted:

Highway Attack scene wasn't perfect, but hell I enjoyed it. It was almost as good as it could've been. I'd be fine with them paring back on gore a bit if they left the bits of Spinner's characterisation in. Odd thing to just drop.

Not saying much when the only way to truly capture the feel of the manga would to be just not put out an episode every other week, release a couple unfinished and then make like a third of the episodes in the second half about 10 minutes long.
Yeah, the pacing was great if anything for the anime.

The equivalent of the manga pacing would've been to use 2 whole cours to do Overhaul but have two weeks randomly where there were no episode and one that was all animatics.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Honestly what the anime made me realize was that the back half of this arc takes place in a slightly abstract poorly lit hallway with generic industrial pipe textures on the walls. I don't think I was so acutely aware of it in the manga because everything wasn't filled in with slate gray. I was also disappointed how Mirio's fight turned into a slideshow.

The vocal track when Deku is reaching out for Eri and the whole embellishment of him destroying Overhaul made everything worth it. I have high hopes for the next arc.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does anybody know how many episodes we have left before the next hiatus?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kwyndig posted:

Does anybody know how many episodes we have left before the next hiatus?
11 or 12 I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shere posted:

I was also disappointed how Mirio's fight turned into a slideshow.

That part was just skipped in the manga.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

MonsterEnvy posted:

That part was just skipped in the manga.

I know the end bit was anime original but it also disappointed. The whole episode was stiff.

e: original context is that a lot of manga readers hoped the anime would smooth over and extrapolate on things and it didn't. It was still good.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If you compare Mirio's fight vs 1-A against his fight vs Overhaul, it's night and day.

The one against the students felt like they were really trying to flesh it out a lot more, even ignoring certain panels that looked awesome in the manga because they wouldn't really work in anime.

Against Overhaul, it felt like they were doing the typical anime adaptation thing of just finding the coolest panels from the manga, and then holding on them in slow motion as long as possible, and then animating the bare minimum required to make it make sense.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I'm actually kind of shocked to read that people didn't like this arc -- I thought the Overhaul fight (All stages of it) was excellently done, and it's easily my favourite part of the show since Stain. I can't wait to see what's next vOv

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Burginator posted:

I'm actually kind of shocked to read that people didn't like this arc -- I thought the Overhaul fight (All stages of it) was excellently done, and it's easily my favourite part of the show since Stain. I can't wait to see what's next vOv
Next three arcs are very good- we'll possibly only get two of them this season. First is very very short, next can be done in half a cour, the one after that can be done in probably another half a cour or less.

Then there's a longer arc which IMO is the actual worst arc in the series- outside of a handful of moments that'll likely get treated like the license exam when animated and look pretty meh.

Then there's an arc that if animated will eat a whole cour probably and I have no idea how they'll do it justice if it ever gets animated unless MHA gets a later timeslot.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Burginator posted:

I'm in the same boat. I've really enjoyed this entire arc and didn't think it dragged at all.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like this arc is the first time the league of villians has actually been intimidating with the expectation of All for One.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The League of Villains are way cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Shwqa posted:

I feel like this arc is the first time the league of villians has actually been intimidating with the expectation of All for One.

Well, there was Shigaraki and Nomu loving up Aizawa. But that was the only time in that arc that Shiggy got to look good, which was immediately followed by a lengthy period of him being a whiny baby.

And really, who hasn't hosed up Aizawa?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
LoV's always been cool, but I agree that this is the first time in a while that they've felt actually menacing.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Was the framing of the sand hero getting marbleized any different in the manga? I thought that Compress had to be basically touching something to compress it, pretty much in a small AoE centered on his hand, but he's not even visible in the shot when it happens.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Hargrimm posted:

Was the framing of the sand hero getting marbleized any different in the manga? I thought that Compress had to be basically touching something to compress it, pretty much in a small AoE centered on his hand, but he's not even visible in the shot when it happens.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mr. Compress got himself some automail. Good for him.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Upside of being an anime-only viewer I guess is that I thought Mirio’s fight with Overhaul was fantastic. I was too emotionally invested to notice any technical shortcomings

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Augus posted:

Upside of being an anime-only viewer I guess is that I thought Mirio’s fight with Overhaul was fantastic. I was too emotionally invested to notice any technical shortcomings

The shortcomings were imagined by the manga readers anyway. As they were just things not there in the manga.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

MonsterEnvy posted:

The shortcomings were imagined by the manga readers anyway. As they were just things not there in the manga.

come on, there were a ton of obvious short cuts taken with the animation and the overall direction. just because it was content created outside of what was in the manga doesn't change that fact

i'm one of the folks who didn't mind reading this arc in real time, but it was super obvious that something weird was going on this season even before finding out they were splitting their efforts to work on another movie. this doesn't make this season bad per se, but it is jarring, especially when you contrast it with the last two episodes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am talking about the Mirio fight which was overall pretty great.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's me. I was one of the people vainly hoping for more content in the anime.

I mean. Come on. The all girl team still got short shrift - it was a few minutes of "oh yeah, they were up there, there was a big bad, you get the idea" and it could've been an episode unto itself.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the mirio fight wasn't a visual spectacle but i felt like what they had did a really good job of selling the fight, in the end it's such a strong emotional moment that it's probably my favorite fight in the show so far, and the animationw as certainly an important aprt of making that convincing.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Burginator posted:

I think it's because it was not popular in the comic so now people who didn't like it in the comic are projecting hard. The arc was good in the anime with some GREAT animation towards the end

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 19, 2020

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
As a manga reader, I thought the Mirio vs Overhaul bit was solid. I also thought the slideshow effect did a good job at building tension.

Just wish they'd found some way to include the narrator bit that states how long he basically went 2v1 while quirkless but otherwise thought it was fun to watch

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Having not engaged with the manga at all, the arc does feel very isolated from the main story. Very little happens to the established main characters. Pretty much all of the issues I had stemmed from that - the animation was great, and the writing was pretty strong. It just spent a lot of time focusing on characters I didn't have a reason to care about, and all of them were male, which isn't great. Did we really need two episodes about Suneater and his issues?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I thought the animation for the Mirio fight did a good job of emphasizing each blow and how long things were going. My bigger complaint with the animation for this season is that it felt like there were a lot of flashbacks to previously animated scenes that filled up time, but maybe MHA has always been like that and it just felt worse for how much the pacing in some parts of this season dragged.

Tenebrais posted:

Having not engaged with the manga at all, the arc does feel very isolated from the main story. Very little happens to the established main characters. Pretty much all of the issues I had stemmed from that - the animation was great, and the writing was pretty strong. It just spent a lot of time focusing on characters I didn't have a reason to care about, and all of them were male, which isn't great. Did we really need two episodes about Suneater and his issues?

On the one hand I agree with all of this, but on the other hand this arc gave us Fat Gum and I love him so much.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I couldn't parse what went down in the last episode. What did Handvillainman do to birdmaskvillainman? He destroyed his arm? Did I miss something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Compress took one of Overhaul's arms with his marble, and Shiggy destroyed the other with his power before cutting it off so Overhaul wouldn't be killed by his decaying power. Then he stole his bullets and left him screaming on the highway.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Compress took one of Overhaul's arms with his marble, and Shiggy destroyed the other with his power before cutting it off so Overhaul wouldn't be killed by his decaying power. Then he stole his bullets and left him screaming on the highway.

I'm also under the impression that he can't use his powers without his hands, despite doing so many times during the deku fight.

Without his power his dad/boss will be in a coma forever and literally everything he sacrificed was in vain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shwqa posted:

I'm also under the impression that he can't use his powers without his hands, despite doing so many times during the deku fight.

Without his power his dad/boss will be in a coma forever and literally everything he sacrificed was in vain.

He never used his power without using his hands.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fartbox posted:

I couldn't parse what went down in the last episode. What did Handvillainman do to birdmaskvillainman? He destroyed his arm? Did I miss something?

Yeah the lack of any red at all when Compress takes one arm really made it hard to follow. Surely they could have got away with the stump being red?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's probably some superpower BS where his arm still exists, the blood still flows to it, it's just... compress has it in his extrasimensional storage.

Like most superpowers, don't think about it too hard.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah the lack of any red at all when Compress takes one arm really made it hard to follow. Surely they could have got away with the stump being red?

It really seems like one of those scenes that'll be bloodier in the Blu-ray release.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It's probably some superpower BS where his arm still exists, the blood still flows to it, it's just... compress has it in his extrasimensional storage.

Like most superpowers, don't think about it too hard.

Nah, Compress's quirk definitely severs stuff.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Nah, Compress's quirk definitely severs stuff.

Yeah, it's just that Compress is the kind of Saturday morning showoff villain who doesn't normally get off on using his Quirk as a glorified machete. Overhaul just really pissed him off.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He never used his power without using his hands.

Maybe he did but I think I could be forgiven for thinking this was done without hands

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Yeah it's obvious his powers are supposed to be focused through his hands since he wore gloves and stuff but some of the things he did made you forget that he's supposed to have to touch stuff with his hands. He basically transformed his body at will at the end there