Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Superterranean posted:

Are we just not gonna talk about this

It's hazing.

That dude probably had the choice of a blanket party or an oil shower, saw the twitchy guys in his unit and made the choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

MRC48B posted:

It's hazing.

That dude probably had the choice of a blanket party or an oil shower, saw the twitchy guys in his unit and made the choice.

I don't even want to contemplate what a blanket party is if an oil shower is the better option of the two.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wrapped up in a blanket and hit with socks that contain (at best) a bar of soap. Even with just the soap, it’ll leave some hardcore bruises, with potential for broken ribs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I don't even want to contemplate what a blanket party is if an oil shower is the better option of the two.

Have you ever seen Full Metal Jacket? When Pyle fucks up so bad. Everyone shoves a bar of soap into their sock and two people grab a blanket, drape it over his bunk while he's sleeping, pull it tight, and then everyone whales on him with the socks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I saw a guy get tackled by someone with a blanket, rolled up in the middle of our bay, and like 5 dudes were hitting him until he wriggled free somehow.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

sounds like 5 dudes all hosed up

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Rm7wpbm.mp4

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is why you don't let the non-pilot stormtroopers joyride in the tie fighters.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MRC48B posted:

It's hazing.

why do men do this to each other

seriously there is literally no value outside of sheer insane tribalism taken to an unhealthy and abusive level. ONE OF US, ONE OF US.

patriarchy has hosed us all right up

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Icon Of Sin posted:

Wrapped up in a blanket and hit with socks that contain (at best) a bar of soap. Even with just the soap, it’ll leave some hardcore bruises, with potential for broken ribs.

A vet I used to play warhammer with told me he just swung his boots by the laces because "gently caress that guy" but all so :effort:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

StrangersInTheNight posted:

seriously there is literally no value outside of sheer insane tribalism taken to an unhealthy and abusive level. ONE OF US, ONE OF US.

I mean. I agree with you. But to be fair have you ever been around sorority culture? poo poo's hosed up too.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Gender has nothing to do with it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

It's not like sorority initiations are all sweetness and light.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sadistic people find themselves in power, new people want to fit in and do whatever it takes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/6bkyVmt.mp4

Just drive down the highway, it’ll blow off in the wind.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Take a minute to think about 'but women aren't kind to each other either!' is a bad answer to why you subject each other to this poo poo. Plus, sorority culture came directly from frat culture and was expected to take its rules, so of course sororities are just female frats.

This doesn't even look like a frat situation, it looks like a blue collar job thing.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 19, 2020

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The overwhelming majority of humanity is dumber than a bag of hammers.

Is that a better answer?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Take a minute to think about 'but women aren't kind to each other either!' is a bad answer to why you subject each other to this poo poo.

This doesn't even look like a frat situation, it looks like a blue collar job thing.

There's hazing everywhere. Some rear end in a top hat treats someone like poo poo. That person feels bad that it happened to them, so it's only fair they do it to the next guy. The cycle repeats. When I got to my first duty station, these two guys were talking to each other about how stupid they were because they fell for all the FNG tricks, explained them to each other in detail, and then tried to get me and the other new guy to fall for them too. They weren't smart.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powered Descent posted:

Isn't that the thing that killed Tasha Yar?

It's a proven method of writing yourself off in the Starfleet and corner carshops alike.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Cojawfee posted:

There's hazing everywhere. Some rear end in a top hat treats someone like poo poo. That person feels bad that it happened to them, so it's only fair they do it to the next guy. The cycle repeats. When I got to my first duty station, these two guys were talking to each other about how stupid they were because they fell for all the FNG tricks, explained them to each other in detail, and then tried to get me and the other new guy to fall for them too. They weren't smart.

so if i'm understanding it correctly, you're special because you're not like the other boys?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

so if i'm understanding it correctly, you're special because you're not like the other boys?

No, I was just an adult and I knew that there was no such thing as "the key for the zulu clock"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I dunno, that sounds pretty special. I think you're special. Do YOU think you're special?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plus, sorority culture came directly from frat culture and was expected to take its rules, so

i mean yes and also no. are you aware of the kind of poo poo that middle school girls pull on each other completely independent of any organized hazing? it's psychological warfare.

humans are just predominantly selfish and cruel by default. why do you think we have to teach children to play nice?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Of course I do I was a middle school girl. It's still not as intense as poo poo people have done in hazing, like accidentally kill each other.

My original statement was a rhetorical question but the answers are revealing a lot about those who post them.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 19, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Of course I do I was a middle school girl. It's still not as intense as poo poo people have done in hazing, lie accidentally kill each other.

i'm sure that middle school girls have never killed each other as part of a hazing ritual, she posted on the Something Awful Forums

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i mean yes and also no. are you aware of the kind of poo poo that middle school girls pull on each other completely independent of any organized hazing? it's psychological warfare.

humans are just predominantly selfish and cruel by default. why do you think we have to teach children to play nice?

So your position is that evil is innate but good has to be taught? This seems like it's either a really pessimistic view of humanity or some kind of religious indoctrination.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I really want to know if they tried again with four of these things.

https://twitter.com/DenisDionisov/status/1218447890206642176

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

LtStorm posted:

Looks like there's a 4th one on the other side. And they did get it moving a little bit towards the end!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

LtStorm posted:

Men a' twerk..?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/SfGx5BK.mp4

Seems like a safe landing area, powerpoles and wires, trucks... people in cars.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Sagebrush posted:

i'm sure that middle school girls have never killed each other as part of a hazing ritual, she posted on the Something Awful Forums

Have you ever heard the concept 'the exception that proves the rule'? It means you remember that case because it's so rare compared to the normal fare of violence it sticks out in your mind; thus proving the majority of violence is filtered out as unimportant grey noise. You're not perceiving what is, you're just perceiving what's out of the ordinary. This means: examine the 'ordinary'.

stop #notallmenning the dudes supposedly forcing another dude to take an oil shower. It's stupid AF. Hazing is stupid AF. It's all stupid. Just post OSHA.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 19, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

drunkill posted:

Based on this and dashcam videos I can only conclude that truck driving is a job entrusted to the least attentive and intelligent workers

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Can't we just agree that hazing is cruel, stupid, lovely, shouldn't happen, we're not going to be assholes enough to do it to our new friends/coworkers and then end this dumb loving derail?

LtStorm posted:

"Here we see as the Eurasian Giant Concrete Block attracts its prey, as they go for the prize, they become locked in place and cannot escape. However, they are social animals, and by working together, they are able to shift the concrete block and free themselves..."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Props to those forks for being able to lift the loader like that.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LtStorm posted:

This is the sort of problem that only Dahar Inssat can solve. They just need a motorcycle, a rocket powered propeller, and a conveyer belt full of groceries...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“This button being out in the open at work was making me nervous, so I printed a cover for some peace of mind.”

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It...already has a shield? That's what the loving metal surround is. What?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

It...already has a shield? That's what the loving metal surround is. What?

I the main point is that's the abort button; pushing it only does something if the fire suppression system is currently trying to PUT OUT A FIRE. You aren't gonna use the abort button by accident, I assume it takes some decent pressure to depress, and you definitely don't want a random unexpected shield in the way if you're trying to turn that system off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

drunkill posted:

Honestly, without more information I don't think the helicopter pilot is the person in the wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Honestly, without more information I don't think the helicopter pilot is the person in the wrong here.

It's part of the new warning system for the 11 foot 8 bridge