Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Eulogistics posted:

Yeah, but it could be named Vandenberg Starport

I just want to say that there's like a half-dozen ways to read your username and they're all fantastic

Eulogy logistics.
Eulogistics to support eusocial behavior.
EU Logistics.
Ew! Logistics!
Eurythmics logistics: I travel the world and the seven seas, everybody's shipping something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Godholio posted:

It doesn't even have a runway, much less a spacelaunch facility.

So it's perfect then?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

It's come to my attention that The SpaceForce are going to need their own F-35 variant that can fly in space

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They need Marine support. The Space Marines will require a different F-35 variant than the one above that can VTOL to space.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-admin-rolls-back-michelle-obama-signature-school-lunch-policy-2020-1

quote:

Friday, January 17, marked former First Lady Michelle Obama's 56th birthday.

It was also the day that the US Department of Agriculture announced new rules regarding school lunches — rules that would roll back Obama's signature policies promoting healthy lunches.

The timing, the USDA told The New York Times, was unintentional.

:geno:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/hexprax/status/1218261536298262528

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

At the heart of it, Trump was elected to erase every trace of black from the White House.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Big fire(s) causes homeless surge. Won't someone think of the wine country property values??

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/us/santa-rosa-homeless-camp/index.html

quote:

A popular biking spot, the trail is now the site of the largest homeless encampment in Sonoma County history. It's also a textbook outcome of the 16% surge last year in homelessness in California -- largely fueled by skyrocketing housing costs -- and the myriad problems that go along with it.

"It's an occupation. It's taken over our neighborhood," Stuart Kiehl, who has lived in Santa Rosa for 20 years, said of the trail encampment. "It means lower property values. There are people that are 40 feet away who have townhouses. Who would want to buy their house?"

Facing those fears, along with public health and safety concerns, local officials have taken steps to clear the encampment by January 31. But a pair of federal court rulings requires them first to offer everyone who lives there a spot in a shelter. And so far, there are not enough.

Aiming to comply with the court mandates -- including one specific to Santa Rosa -- Hopkins and her colleagues last month approved an $11.6 million package to help alleviate the shortage of shelter beds and temporary housing. It's a small sum compared with the $1.4 billion that California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, recently proposed to try to stem the homelessness crisis statewide.

A portion of the Santa Rosa money will go to set up the county's first official encampment for a few dozen homeless people. Supervisors' goal is to have enough sanctioned shelter space and other alternatives available so they can close the trail camp by month's end. It's still not clear whether they'll meet the self-imposed deadline.

"We're legally mandated to provide alternatives to every single resident along the trail before we move forward with clearing the encampment," Hopkins said. "We really need to get an encampment opened in a place that is actually appropriate for it."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hekk posted:

already gone

I've been compiling these through retweet so here's the last two hours of MSNBC owning itself megacut:

https://mobile.twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1218593839633633286

https://mobile.twitter.com/elivalley/status/1218605807010504706

https://mobile.twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1218617227693477888

https://mobile.twitter.com/auntbeckyrose/status/1218618148351442944

https://mobile.twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1218613832123396096

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamSeder/status/1218602997510549510

https://mobile.twitter.com/janinedriver/status/785339145770115072

https://mobile.twitter.com/sunraysunray/status/1218625867120889856

https://mobile.twitter.com/banditelli/status/1218601148292009985

https://mobile.twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1218635458525237253

https://mobile.twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1218595147237208069

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Bold prediction - if Bernie gets the nomination the media goes extra hard doing everything they can to try and tank him and the DNC will do nothing to help him/be complicit in it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I appreciate the updates. I had no idea what any of that stuff was.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

I've been compiling these through retweet so here's the last two hours of MSNBC owning itself megacut:

:yikes:

i need an adult

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Well, drat. How'd that get there?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

maffew buildings posted:

Bold prediction - if Bernie gets the nomination the media goes extra hard doing everything they can to try and tank him and the DNC will do nothing to help him/be complicit in it.

The DNC would rather have 4 more years of Trump than 4 years of Bernie. Bernie would actually try to get things done, which would make every single one of them who have spent their entire careers sitting on their hands protecting the status quo look really bad. With Trump they can just point at him and say everything is his fault.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Appalling but expected.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

It doesn't even have a runway, much less a spacelaunch facility.

Uhh, V-berg is an active spaceport.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Godholio posted:

Well, drat. How'd that get there?

It's been a busy decade. Launch operations at Vandenberg began in 2013 with the launch of the first Falcon 9 1.1 booster and first commercial mission for SpaceX.

The first landing was in 2018, because while Vandenberg doesn't have a runway... where we're going, you don't need runways.

Fig. 1: A full-service spaceport.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Godholio posted:

I don't know which bases will fall under Space, but Vandenberg, Peterson, and Patrick are probably safe bets.

The high points of Space Force are operating the GPS constellation (50th), coordinating launches (30th & 45th), parts of NORAD/early warning (21st & 460th), tracking/cataloging orbiting objects, and probably ASAT & whatever spooky stuff the X-37 is doing.

Wikipedia has some details about locations:

quote:

Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) was redesignated as the Space Force by the 2020 NDAA, elevated to become the new service. All of AFSPC's former personnel, organizations, and components were then assigned to the Space Force. AFSPC's principal components were 14th Air Force, which controls operations, and the Space and Missile Systems Center, which is responsible for research and acquisitions.

The first organizational change occurred on December 20, 2019, when the Fourteenth Air Force/Air Forces Strategic was redesignated as Space Operations Command (SPOC). Major General John E. Shaw, former Commander, Fourteenth Air Force, was redesignated as Commander, Space Operations Command; in addition to Shaw’s role as U.S. Space Command’s Combined Force Space Component Commander.

Structure
  • Space Operations Command (SPOC), Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
    • 21st Space Wing (21 SW), Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
    • 30th Space Wing (30 SW), Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
    • 45th Space Wing (45 SW), Patrick Air Force Base, Florida
    • 50th Space Wing (50 SW), Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado
    • 460th Space Wing (460 SW), Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado
    • 614th Air Operations Center (614 AOC), Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
  • Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), Los Angeles Air Force Base, California
    • 61st Air Base Group (61 ABG), Los Angeles Air Force Base, California

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Loden Taylor posted:

If they open up Space Force to recruitment, I'm imagining an ad where a SPACE CADET with a lightsaber fights a SPACE DRAGON in SPACE.

smash cut to a dude staring at a computer in a poorly air conditioned shed at Vandenberg AFB

Ads unironically targeting those Star Wars Stormtrooper cosplayers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Ads unironically targeting those Star Wars Stormtrooper cosplayers.

Ahh, the empire did nothing wrong crowd.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kesper North posted:

It's been a busy decade. Launch operations at Vandenberg began in 2013 with the launch of the first Falcon 9 1.1 booster and first commercial mission for SpaceX.

The first landing was in 2018, because while Vandenberg doesn't have a runway... where we're going, you don't need runways.

Fig. 1: A full-service spaceport.

Launch operations at Vandenberg began in the 1950s and they absolutely do have a runway.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

I just want to say that there's like a half-dozen ways to read your username and they're all fantastic

Eulogy logistics.
Eulogistics to support eusocial behavior.
EU Logistics.
Ew! Logistics!
Eurythmics logistics: I travel the world and the seven seas, everybody's shipping something

When I originally came up with the name for my first email address when I was 12 or something, it was the first case because I thought it sounded edgy. When I found that there was a shipping company by the same name I was a little sad. Glad someone else enjoys it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ahh, the empire did nothing wrong crowd.

It was a Big BEAUTIFUFUFUL death star, a perfect death star. Folks you never seen a death star so good. Perfect just perishect. And they dont let us have death stars, no more, they hate us for our death stars. And they were so much perfect. Well we're gonna bring death shtrars back and it will be so amazing folks like you'd never believe.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

McNally posted:

Launch operations at Vandenberg began in the 1950s and they absolutely do have a runway.

I should have said "Resumed". and I THOUGHT they did, because it was gonna be a backup landing site for Shuttle at one point...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Vandenberg was home to SLC 6 which was going to be the West coast launch site for the Shuttle, then Challenger happened

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stravag posted:

It was a Big BEAUTIFUFUFUL death star, a perfect death star. Folks you never seen a death star so good. Perfect just perishect. And they dont let us have death stars, no more, they hate us for our death stars. And they were so much perfect. Well we're gonna bring death shtrars back and it will be so amazing folks like you'd never believe.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Vandenberg is used a lot for polar launches, since they can launch south over the ocean. Not to mention ballistic missile test shots into the Pacific.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1218674016942219265?s=20 Having a normal one.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I was annoyed that they delayed a launch that was scheduled to happen while I was at Hunter-Liggett that I would have been able to see.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NEW YORK IS BAD! PLEASE IGNORE THAT I SPENT MY ENTIRE LIFE THERE TRYING TO MAKE PEOPLE THERE ACCEPT ME, AND CONSTANTLY CALLED IT MY CITY EVEN THOUGH MOST OF THE PEOPLE THERE HATE ME! PLESSE IGNORE THAT A BUNCH OF MY TACKY BUILDINGS ARE THERE AND NOT IN HEPATITIS ARKANSAS WHERE YOU'RE SLOWLY DYING OF AN OPIATE ADDICTION! YOU ARE MY PEOPLE NOW!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So much for him being all about building walls.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

NYC hating Trump just makes me respect them more

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Which is funny, because their cost estimate is a hell of a lot better than Anger Mango's.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
A massive 200 Billion Dollar Border Wall, built around Texas to protect it from immigrants, is a costly, foolish & environmentally unfriendly idea that, when needed, probably won’t work anyway. It will also look terrible. Sorry, you’ll just have to get your foreign & economic policy ready!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

As a new florida resident, he'll champion the building of a 200 trillion wall

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
trump is galaxy brain florida man

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
With enough fuel/power, anywhere can be a launch site. If you ignore recovery, anywhere can be a landing site!

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

ded posted:

trump is galaxy brain florida man

My cousin worked scraping boat hulls in Florida for like 5 years, Trump is dumber.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Diving in marina water to clean boat hulls is not something I’d wish upon anyone :vomarine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I thought that normally you pull a boat out for maintenance like that, and only dive for emergency prop or shaft repair