Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I will get in the ring to defend my posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's undeniable that speculating about untrained randos just generates posts that the real sport cannot.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Speaking of the real sport my buddy is gonna be at J Rock’s fight tonight in philly

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

If AB fights Logan Paul I'll make good money betting on AB to whup his rear end.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Boxing, mma and other combat sports has a long history of showing us that having a big, muscular body that was built for other reasons than fighting isnt going to give you an advantage over a smaller opponent who has trained for fighting. Not to say Logan couldn't get smashed but having actual experience, even against someone like KSI is a large advantage over someone who is doing it for the first time.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

It's undeniable that speculating about untrained randos just generates posts that the real sport cannot.

PPV buys, too.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

it's really cute you think this when there are several first hand accounts from actual, experienced fighters before their first fight in front of a national audience all saying how close to pissing themselves / running away they were. good to know that a guy playing a sport in a helmet and armour with 63 other people is so well prepared to deal with that particular pressure.

holy poo poo dude im not saying its the same thing, im saying that its closer to the nerves of a fight than pro wrestling. there are definitely nerves of a pro fight and they would definitely cause problems for AB if he was against somebody that could fight.

If it helps, its not like this will be the first ever time somebody has transitioned from football or a football-like sport into a combat sport. Eryk Anders and Greg Hardy both successfully transitioned to real UFC careers. Anthony Mundine become a two time titlist after leaving Rugby. There's actually a bunch of different Rugby players who have gone into boxing, and yeah, some of them have collapsed in their debut, but they've largely been successful while fighting guys who are better fighters than Logan Paul.

I'm sure there will be nerves for a fight of that size, but you can't just say "There's nerves before your first big fight" as your full argument, because he'd still actually have to lose that fight and there's been plenty of counter examples of guys who have less experience than Antonio Brown does with pressure and have still won their big fights.

And once again, Logan Paul has no heart, and can't win a fight against a guy who's trying harder than him

Obviously none of us have seen Brown fight. He might suck rear end and have not like getting punched, or maybe his already present CTE will make his punch resistance shockingly low or something. But barring something really weird there's no way I can see him having less will to win than Paul, or worse cardio. And usually fights between people who suck come down to will to win and cardio, both are things Paul has little of. Seriously watch the fight with KSI again.

Macksy posted:

Boxing, mma and other combat sports has a long history of showing us that having a big, muscular body that was built for other reasons than fighting isnt going to give you an advantage over a smaller opponent who has trained for fighting. Not to say Logan couldn't get smashed but having actual experience, even against someone like KSI is a large advantage over someone who is doing it for the first time.

Paul is actually bigger than Brown. And definitely has significantly less brain damage so there are a few assets he has here.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

After Logan knocks out AB I want to see him fight Mike Tyson.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

or Dustin Diamond, or Vanilla Ice...

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The YouTuber boxing phenomenon is as annoying to me as most here but I don't think the comparisons to early 2000s celebrity boxing are apt at all. Yes, these are just cynical cash grabs but- and even if it's just for the content- seeing the vlogs gives an indication that most of the participants take it seriously. Which is more than you can say for Tonya Harding or loving Horshack from Welcome Back Mr. kotter

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jump King posted:

holy poo poo dude im not saying its the same thing, im saying that its closer to the nerves of a fight than pro wrestling.

why would you think this?! pro wrestling has significantly more fans, there's more focus on you individually, and poo poo it's actually probably closer to real fighting! and at no stage did i insinuate that athletes can't cross train andn become elite at many things, i'm saying that this does not apply to ab at all.

Jump King posted:

But barring something really weird there's no way I can see him having less will to win than Paul, or worse cardio.

this is actually the core of your ignorance about the situation ab is about to be in. i don't care what physical condition ab is in a week out from the fight. by the end of round one he will be utterly exhausted because of the unique pressures of prize fighting.

read this again. really slowly

quote:

"I knew at my age I wasn't going to get overawed with nerves. What I wasn't prepared for was I was just so excited whenever I was in there. I didn't relax when I was throwing the shots. I just realized when it was too late, 'My God, how can I be tired after the training I've done.' But I was. I was just so uptight... Over here I would be sort of more known for how cool and how calm I am when under pressure. But I just got carried away, the Belfast crowd going wild."

-- Colin Robinson

that's from a guy who has fought in front of crowds dozens of times before. this was his first time on the big stage. this is what it does to you.

logan paul has experience fighting under these circumstances. i am telling you right now if ab doesn't knock him out early, and he won't because the punches i saw him throwing in practice show me that he's never trained a day in his life to hit anyone, logan will have a significant cardio advantage until he gases.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

why would you think this?! pro wrestling has significantly more fans, there's more focus on you individually, and poo poo it's actually probably closer to real fighting! and at no stage did i insinuate that athletes can't cross train andn become elite at many things, i'm saying that this does not apply to ab at all.

Because pro wrestling is collaborative and not competitive. A football match where you need to perform in front of 111 million viewers (which is about an order of magnitude more than the most watched wrestling shows iirc) against other athletes is much closer to the nerves of performing in an unscripted fight in my opinion

If you disagree, sure, but don’t call me ignorant because I think nerves alone aren’t enough to shake the most dramatic and scrutinized football player of this past year to lose to Logan Paul, a guy who has had one professional fight and has never fought a real athlete. Or won a fight.

E: tell me how sincerely you believe this in a dollar amount

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Pro wrestling is definitely competitive. Just different from prize fighting.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jump King posted:

E: tell me how sincerely you believe this in a dollar amount

lol, please keep in mind that the strongest possible effect i've ever claimed it would have on this fight is:

Marching Powder posted:

i understand it's your position that this doesn't count for poo poo, but in my experience it should, at least, even the odds and perhaps even tip them in logan's favour.

so with that in mind, I'm keen to do this.

i believe it to be even money fight, so let's do this for a hundred.

if ab wins, by decision, technical decision, t/ko, or dq, i'll straight up give you a hundred.

i'll let you make up your own odds on how much ab is going to smash logan paul. i wonder if your big dick energy will shrink into a more moderate position or grow like a mighty oak.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What denomination

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also why do you keep taking big stands against me going “I think AB will get nerves but Logan Paul sucks too much to take advantage of that “ if your big stance is “it’s a toss up”

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jump King posted:

What denomination

lol i assumed USD since most people on this site are american but if you want to do singaporean dollars or whatever i don't give a poo poo

Jump King posted:

Also why do you keep taking big stands against me going “I think AB will get nerves but Logan Paul sucks too much to take advantage of that “ if your big stance is “it’s a toss up”

i think the more astute question is 'why am i having a giant hissy fit at this guy when all he said was 'the effect should even the odds'?' but i said i'd let you make your own odds and i stand by that but i'm going to be lolling if it's even money because you've spent days getting very mad at me that culminated in a demand for money. luckily i don't think you take getting laughed at very well.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

lol i assumed USD since most people on this site are american but if you want to do singaporean dollars or whatever i don't give a poo poo

i think the more astute question is 'why am i having a giant hissy fit at this guy when all he said was 'the effect should even the odds'?' but i said i'd let you make your own odds and i stand by that but i'm going to be lolling if it's even money because you've spent days getting very mad at me that culminated in a demand for money. luckily i don't think you take getting laughed at very well.

Logan gonna get whomped

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The whole reason I want to bet you is because you’re dumb enough to think even odds is fair for this, I’d use a betting website if I wanted genuinely fair odds.

I’ll do 100 USD a piece.

I think it’d be fun if we doubled that though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

[said while watching this video for reasons i will never, ever fathom]

Mr. F! posted:

Logan gonna get whomped

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jump King posted:

The whole reason I want to bet you is because you’re dumb enough to think even odds is fair for this, I’d use a betting website if I wanted genuinely fair odds.

I’ll do 100 USD a piece.

I think it’d be fun if we doubled that though.

sorry, 100 is my betting limit per event. personal limit.

i just checked the betting site and even though i think you're a massive bitch for spending several pages bigging up ab's athleticism, how totally unaffected by the pressure he'll be, and how stupid any suggestion to the contrary is and then demanding even money, it's still better odds then my bookie will give me so sure, i'm in. 100.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

[said while watching this video for reasons i will never, ever fathom]

Man, it sure sucks the AB v logan paul fight is scheduled for tomorrow.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Man, it sure sucks the AB v logan paul fight is scheduled for tomorrow.

yeah i'm sure once he does a million rocky montages and the next 10 weeks in the goku gravity chamber he'll be a changed man.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It’s reasonable to stick at 100 but I thought it was important I do a performative routine of trying to double up

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jump King posted:

It’s reasonable to stick at 100 but I thought it was important I do a performative routine of trying to double up

i actually laughed at this and now i kind of like you. good luck.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

yeah i'm sure once he does a million rocky montages and the next 10 weeks in the goku gravity chamber he'll be a changed man.

I mean, the dude has worked out at a professional level for literally his entire life. He has contacts in the industry that I doubt a vlogger has (no matter the money) and access to insane drugs that only someone who's been in the NFL system has.

Logan Paul will get gassed faster than AB.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

I mean, the dude has worked out at a professional level for literally his entire life. He has contacts in the industry that I doubt a vlogger has (no matter the money) and access to insane drugs that only someone who's been in the NFL system has.

Logan Paul will get gassed faster than AB.

that's cool man i've already had this conversation just hit the little question mark thing under my avatar, skip to the last page and pretend i'm talking to you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ah yes, the real battle is two boxing matches vs stealth PEDs.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I blame uncut gems for this sudden rash of sports betting on our site.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

that's cool man i've already had this conversation just hit the little question mark thing under my avatar, skip to the last page and pretend i'm talking to you.

I think you severely underestimate the amount of effort it takes to get into the NFL, let alone be an elite player in the NFL.

Its okay though, enjoy losing your 100 dollarydoos

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The funniest thing about this is that I don’t think either of us have seen AB play a game of football.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

The funniest thing about this is that I don’t think either of us have seen AB play a game of football.

Hahahaha. The good thing for you is that Antonio Browns workout regime is well documented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkIkyltH7ho

https://www.stack.com/a/we-dare-you...ent=dkIkyltH7ho

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

I think you severely underestimate the amount of effort it takes to get into the NFL, let alone be an elite player in the NFL.

Its okay though, enjoy losing your 100 dollarydoos

just so we're absolutely clear, you know he's going to be in a fist fight right? he's not going to be taking part in a series of strength and agility tests while people in white coats peep his sick vertical leap and write down the big number while raising their eyebrows and nodding - you know this right?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jump King posted:

i have never seen a game of football

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

just so we're absolutely clear, you know he's going to be in a fist fight right? he's not going to be taking part in a series of strength and agility tests while people in white coats peep his sick vertical leap and write down the big number while raising their eyebrows and nodding - you know this right?

Lmao, yes. And AB gotta whup dat rear end worse than Adrian Peterson

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Lmao, yes. And AB gotta whup dat rear end worse than Adrian Peterson

don't know who that is but ok!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey marching powder now that you’ve called me a bitch I’ve decided that if Logan Paul beats AB in a fist fight I’ll also throw you an av cert so you can red title me, that’s the coercive power of bullying

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jump King posted:

Hey marching powder now that you’ve called me a bitch I’ve decided that if Logan Paul beats AB in a fist fight I’ll also throw you an av cert so you can red title me, that’s the coercive power of bullying

lol, that's mighty generous but i'll be so flush with your money i'll avatar bully you with what's left over from my spa day. possibly during the pedicure.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Speaking of betting if you put $100 on this banana guy you'd be cashing out a grand. drat. Gonna make some riskier bets when I'm in Vegas for Fury Wilder now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

Speaking of betting if you put $100 on this banana guy you'd be cashing out a grand. drat. Gonna make some riskier bets when I'm in Vegas for Fury Wilder now.

Im thinking of putting 100 on wilder in rounds 10-12, 800 dollar payout