Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex_Marxist
Dec 14, 2016

I LOVE MY DEAD GAY SON
I for one am ready to wage Jihad with my Bros, inshallah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I'd actually be surprised if it wasn't this. The cult is just about all the religion we've seen in the setting of Battle Brothers and it's always felt like there's a sense of "hey these guys seem like they're gonna start some poo poo at some point."

Yeah this would be cool. Maybe some of the city-states are Davkul-worshipers and they summon some Lovecraftian horrors from the sea for you to fight/join as your endgame crisis.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Disgusting Coward posted:

"A new late game crisis that tests the mettle of your company in the fires of religious turmoil"

That's it. That's all they've said. Maybe save the woke garment rending until they've actually Done A Racism.
Okay.
https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/347097-pillars-eternity-ii-writer-manchester-bombings-get-prepare
This was some time ago and people change.
But those posts in combination with the already occasionally problematic writing in the game is more than enough reason to wonder how well a DLC introducing a faux-Arabic culture and a holy war crisis will turn out.

TheAnomaly posted:

I know others have mentioned it, but aren't the religious aspects of the game Cult Focused? I know that the priests aren't Davkul cultists because of the Barbarian start, but they certainly don't seem Christian either.

Oh man, maybe we'll get Davkul cultists vs. Ancient Undead and their ancestor worship.
Hopefully it's something like that. The cultists as enemies could be expanded anyway.
I don't think that's going to happen, though.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
I could see Davkul being the dominant god of the south, with secretive cults in the north laying the groundwork for an invasion. Pretty sure Lovecraft's Necronomicon is described as being the work of "some mad Arab" (though I assume he used another infinitely worse term to describe the author) so connecting cults of the dark gods with a middle east inspired realm isn't totally wild.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Mazz posted:

I’m just down for more Battle Brothers

Thirded. And if anyone wants Battle Sisters they can check out the mods on nexus.

caedwalla posted:

Pretty sure Lovecraft's Necronomicon is described as being the work of "some mad Arab"

The author of the Necronomicon was Lovecraft's alter ego ever since he read the Arabian Nights, Abdul Alhazred.

quote:

(though I assume he used another infinitely worse term to describe the author)

He didn't.

quote:

so connecting cults of the dark gods with a middle east inspired realm isn't totally wild.

Yep.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 18, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Wizard Styles posted:

...already occasionally problematic writing in the game...

Such as? If its stuff like the one farm event, then yeah, you're a middle ages merc company, everyone in an outfit like that are gonna be terrible people. The game goes out of its way to tell you that mercs are awful and horrible, and people are amazed when you don't kill them for a few coins.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
It just hit me.

What about Elephants? :doit:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 18, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Honestly one of the most intriguing parts is more terrain types; In hoping that means more terrain complexity and not just different background colors to fight on.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

Such as? If its stuff like the one farm event, then yeah, you're a middle ages merc company, everyone in an outfit like that are gonna be terrible people. The game goes out of its way to tell you that mercs are awful and horrible, and people are amazed when you don't kill them for a few coins.

I would be interested in finding out what the problematic writing is too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Donkringel posted:

I suspect the problem is over woke white people scrounging for something to be outraged about.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Donkringel posted:

Obviously if people are posting in this thread that they're worried about the writing they're probably people who played a lot of the existing Battle Brothers content, so there's nothing egregious enough to be an instant deal breaker. I get annoyed with some of Battle Bros writing and it's mostly that there's a telling absence of depth in some very obvious places. My reactions to the women in Battle Bros creates a timeline along the lines of:
1: Okay, no playable women. Disappointing but not a problem.
2: Are there no women at all in this game? Even more disappointing but whatever
3: I've found like two whole instances of women existing, one of which is prostitutes and their pimp and the other is a woman who's just down to gently caress if you have a strong bro.
4: Oh this dlc added women enemies... who are evil seductress witches. So every single woman in the game is defined by her fuckability, either they're down and good or just using their sexuality to manipulate and are evil.
I don't need like gender equality in my game about being a son of a bitch mercenary but it ends up looking like it was written based off the mind of a dude who won't shut up about being redpilled. It's a shallow caricature of women even in a genre of fiction that gets regularly criticized for its treatment of women. Why are there no noble women? Why are there no events featuring women as anything besides sex objects? "It takes time and effort to create those things" is an acceptable but disappointing answer but then they took the time and effort to make women in the game that are pretty much an incel meme from medieval Europe.

Something more relevant to the fretting over them possibly doing an alternate universe Crusades: their viking analogues are also depthless cartoons. The northern raiders are just "what if vikings but more so". That's fine, it works fine in a game with no linear storyline. If they do the same for the Ottoman empire then there's an extremely high chance they make something that fits in with neonazi propaganda, whether they prescribe to that doctrine or not. The Nottoman Empire crusading against the north echoes modern propaganda about Islamic people taking over Europe from the pure Germanic races. The Not-German houses crusading against the south can indirectly prop up the crusader narrative unless it's done in a way that depicts the crusades as outright wrong and pathetic, which isn't likely when your character is liable to be part of the crusade itself. If it's depicted as a war waged by the boorish idiots that are the European nobility versus a similarly flawed empire then it still fits in to the neonazi propaganda narrative around the crusades because the conflict itself is their narrative, not the reasons behind it. The chuds constantly bellowing deus vult in the wider strategy gaming community don't care if the people representing their leaders are flawed, the only thing they need to contextualize it in a racist way is the ability to go "The people representing me are badass warriors fighting the people representing Islam."

The Lord Bude posted:

I suspect the problem is over woke white people scrounging for something to be outraged about.

Any online community/subcommunity based around strategy games set in Europe or a direct analogue of Europe is like 99% white men, so yeah it's gonna be mostly woke white people complaining because the extremely talkative racists keep women and minorities out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Lord Bude posted:

Intelligent and handsome ppl itt: I hope this is handled well, some of the writing in this game is a little problematic and this is a sensitive topic
Hunchbacked incels itt: omg you sjws are so outraged over nothing lmao cucks

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

caedwalla posted:

I could see Davkul being the dominant god of the south, with secretive cults in the north laying the groundwork for an invasion. Pretty sure Lovecraft's Necronomicon is described as being the work of "some mad Arab" (though I assume he used another infinitely worse term to describe the author) so connecting cults of the dark gods with a middle east inspired realm isn't totally wild.

In lovecraft, it's the mad Arab Al-Hazrad. That's it, it's not any crazier than that - remember, this is H.P. diagnosable-Xenophobe Lovecraft, so "Arab" would be near the height of insults.

quote:

That's awesome! Try reading the thread, as it was discussed earlier! Probably actually near the beginning!

But if you don't want to, it boils down to a lot of the descriptions - the refugee background in particular is problematic, as it often describes refugee's as cowards or weaklings. Many of the the other backgrounds have the same kinds of problems, where this game pitches a certain kind of worldview that is just... really lovely and lacks any empathy to the actual suffering of Refugee's, the Handicapped (peddler and beggar backgrounds), the working class, etc. It definitely has more than enough troublesome writing to worry about what they'll do with Islamic/Persian/Arabic recruits, although the guy who wrote the offensive refugee backgrounds was fired because of it IIRC.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Stupid farkin sword-swingin sellsword.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wafflecopper posted:

Intelligent and handsome ppl itt: I hope this is handled well, some of the writing in this game is a little problematic and this is a sensitive topic
Hunchbacked incels itt: omg you sjws are so outraged over nothing lmao cucks

People are very eager to go "wow gently caress this is bad" over nothing before they've seen anything.

When you actually see the writing, make the judgement. Right now nobody is actually talking from any reasonable platform. As we've seen, the guy people had a problem with has been fired. The rest of it is just people making up scenarios to argue against.

I expect it'll just be dark writing like the rest of battle brothers that paints everyone as an rear end in a top hat, as usual

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 18, 2020

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

quote:

New crafting recipes for owners of the ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC

Hopefully this will help make fighting beasts more worthwhile like we were talking about earlier in the thread. I see a dude holding some kind of explosive in the full promo image, and you can bet I will beat down a bunch of webknechts or whatever if it means I can toss bombs at geists or goblins.

gently caress we're getting one step closer to full-on wizard build, boys.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The crafting stuff kinda falls flat on its face as it is rn. I murder this fuckin hexe and it gets me something that I can turn into… helmet paint. The main nice-to-get thing is that direwolf mantle that scares enemies. I guess the nachzehrer necklace is fine, it's easy to get and a useful buff.

e: unless you wanna farm unholds but ugh

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I went back to some mod ideas I had and as part of that I lowered the price of all consumable crafting recipes to 10 crowns.
Still not sure if it's enough. Might have to increase drop rates while decreasing selling prices of crafting materials.

In the game as it is it's basically never worth it to make any consumable item. I just sell anything that I can't turn into a trophy necklace or quiver or staple to somebody's armor.

I do go after Direwolves and later on sometimes take contracts to hunt Unholds or Lindwurms for those armor upgrades, though.

ShootaBoy posted:

Just what Count Uvula and TheAnomaly said, mainly.
Also, afaik nobody was fired over that.
I'm pretty sure the main/only full-time writer working on Battle Brothers has always been and still is Casey/sser/the guy who resigned from the Deadfire team in 2017. And he's probably freelance anyway.
(I also think that while those RPGCodex posts were definitely bad enough to cut ties with him his writing for Battle Brothers absolutely wasn't. It's just problematic in places.)

Anyway, started a new run and this is the first recruit I look at in the first town I visit:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I kinda wish they'd change consumables so they aren't lost on use and are instead refilled from a resource like quivers are.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

dogstile posted:

People are very eager to go "wow gently caress this is bad" over nothing before they've seen anything.

When you actually see the writing, make the judgement. Right now nobody is actually talking from any reasonable platform. As we've seen, the guy people had a problem with has been fired. The rest of it is just people making up scenarios to argue against.

I expect it'll just be dark writing like the rest of battle brothers that paints everyone as an rear end in a top hat, as usual

Someone got fired over this??? An attempt to be a "realistic" mercenary group gets canned for...."wrong think"? I don't see an issue with the story told by battle brothers but I must be the outlier

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
No a writer got fired for making a bunch of nazi posts on a forum.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

The crafting stuff kinda falls flat on its face as it is rn. I murder this fuckin hexe and it gets me something that I can turn into… helmet paint. The main nice-to-get thing is that direwolf mantle that scares enemies. I guess the nachzehrer necklace is fine, it's easy to get and a useful buff.

e: unless you wanna farm unholds but ugh

The main good one is unholds though for the bone plate and the fur cloaks and the big quivers. I put bone plate on everyone but my archers. Unholds aren’t that bad once you’re an appropriate level and you fight groups suitably sized for you, people grossly over exaggerate it.

My (admittedly post third crisis) company took out a group of 11 last night without any injuries - my worst injured guy lost 30 hp.

I’m convinced people don’t invest heavily enough in HP. Injuries only happen if the enemy attack does damage equal to a certain percentage of current health (ranges from 25 to 60% depending on the injury). I always give shield bearers 100 hp; 2handers 80, and back liners around 70-75. That way injuries are much less likely to happen.

Also my shield bros and 2h macemen get indomitable - that stops you from being thrown around and basically stops them from doing meaningful damage to you. Use shieldbros with indomitable to hold them in place; use polearms and archers to do the serious damage. My archers alone were killing one per round.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.
Question for those familiar with bb modding: Is it possible to mod a start as a party of greenskins?

I ask because I saw someone posted a mod that lets you start as the ancient dead and it would be nice to have a start where man with crossbow gets meet orc with cleaver.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ObMeiste posted:

Question for those familiar with bb modding: Is it possible to mod a start as a party of greenskins?

I ask because I saw someone posted a mod that lets you start as the ancient dead and it would be nice to have a start where man with crossbow gets meet orc with cleaver.
Possible? Yeah, sure.
Creating a company origin that has you start with some units that look and have the stats of various greenskins would take some effort but is relatively straightforward.
Changing faction relations so you start and remain allied with the greenskin factions and hostile to all humans would be pretty simple.

But then you'd need to change the perk trees, overhaul the contract system, write entirely new events and so on.
Doing that in depth would obviously take an insane amount of work.

What could be achievable would be an origin that makes you start out as an outcast warlord with a full roster of orcs and goblins (so 25 since I assume that's the current maximum the UI can handle without further modding). And just make you everyone's enemy, then write a few events including some to give you extra recruits. Basically a game mode that focuses exclusively on raiding to survive and cuts out everything else.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope that they eventually let you rarely recruit goblins and orcs somehow, they already went way further into the fantasy side of things than the original design with some of the DLC stuff.

Wizard Styles posted:

What could be achievable would be an origin that makes you start out as an outcast warlord with a full roster of orcs and goblins (so 25 since I assume that's the current maximum the UI can handle without further modding). And just make you everyone's enemy, then write a few events including some to give you extra recruits. Basically a game mode that focuses exclusively on raiding to survive and cuts out everything else.

This is what I was hoping the northern raiders start was going to be but instead it's basically just a slightly weird normal start with 3 badass bros.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

RabidWeasel posted:

This is what I was hoping the northern raiders start was going to be but instead it's basically just a slightly weird normal start with 3 badass bros.

I mean, you don't have to go legitimate.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Voyager I posted:

I mean, you don't have to go legitimate.

Without a way of getting new hires it doesn't really work though. I guess you can get some from events but I can't imagine how hard it would be to play the game like that.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Oh, I get what you're saying now. You can work convoys into your diet but you still need to stay in the good graces of a few places to have access to a market etc. You're right, it would be interesting for them to support a run that completely forsakes society.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A forsaking society at large run doesn't work because you do need some form of recruit/food at some point. I've tried before and ended up running out of food even on constant raids.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dogstile posted:

A forsaking society at large run doesn't work because you do need some form of recruit/food at some point. I've tried before and ended up running out of food even on constant raids.

I think this could be solved with a small tweak to the loot you get for raiding caravans and peasants. As it is, even when raiding a supply caravan you usually only get one or two stacks of food, which seems really weird given those caravans, in-game, are meant to be supplying whole cities or armies. If you tweaked the game so that raiding targets like that gave out a lot more food, then I think playing a pure raider game would be a lot more feasible.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Random mod thought: I wonder what would happen if you put Ranged Skill at the same 47-57 base, 1-3 points per level progression as Melee Skill.
I kinda want to try it because it should make hybrid characters more worthwhile since less levels would need to be dedicated to Ranged Skill.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That sounds pretty good to me, it'd be nice to make throwing weapons a bit more viable on melee bros.

Is it still hard to find good ranged bros? It always felt like a challenge unless you had a hunter village somewhere on the map, and even then a ranged background didn't necessarily make a good ranged bro.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Definitely have found myself on maps without any source of sproingers. Not even all that rare. Maybe one in three maps?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
By default you need the dedicated ranged backgrounds because the default Ranged Skill base is 37-42 and that's just never going to be good enough unless you find a bro that lucks out and starts at 42***.
Especially since, while melee bros don't necessarily need to be incredibly accurate to be useful, archers do.

Personally, I've set the Ranged Skill base to 37-47 a long time ago while keeping stat growth at 2-4 per level. It helps with finding ranged recruits among the generic recruits.
I still tend to go for Hunters and Poachers, though. They're just good value. But having the option of hiring and firing Ratcatchers, Jugglers etc. until I find one that can be an archer means I don't check every map for cabins at the start and don't go out of my way to visit forest villages just to make sure I get those backgrounds anymore.

The Band of Poachers company origin has also become my default choice because being faster is just nice and checking garrisons in advance meshes well with my playstyle. Obviously, with that origin I never actually look for ranged recruits unless a starting bro dies.
It can also be a somewhat rough start, though, because starting with 3 ranged bros is not all that great. They aren't that accurate and you get overrun quite easily. I've sometimes put the most expendable starting bro on the line and used him in melee until he got enough levels to actually be a decent shot.
Which is another reason why I'm considering that change: there isn't really a point in the game at which you'd ever want to really focus on ranged, so I don't think it would unbalance the game.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 20, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dreylad posted:

That sounds pretty good to me, it'd be nice to make throwing weapons a bit more viable on melee bros.

Is it still hard to find good ranged bros? It always felt like a challenge unless you had a hunter village somewhere on the map, and even then a ranged background didn't necessarily make a good ranged bro.

It’s really not. It’s not like you need a heap of them. 2-3 in a regular company and 4 or so in a peasant company. Any decent seed will
Have a hunter cabin - I assume people seek out good seeds - and even without that it’s still reasonably easy to find decent poachers. Plus you can also get militiamen, bowyers, and witch hunters with good ranged skill. Beast hunters too I think.

I don’t hire any archer that can’t hit 90 RATK by level 11 and I still don’t have a problem finding them.

The poachers start sucks because only 1 of the three is ever good enough to keep.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's not hard to find good ranged recruits, but it is very easy to end up not finding any decent candidates for a long time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is the DLC likely to be on sale any time soon? Having beaten my first crisis on Beginner and retired that company now that I have a better feel for what I'm doing, I do want to pick them up but both at once are a wee bit pricey - however, they don't ever seem to go much cheaper. If not, is there one in particular people would recommend? Leaning towards WotN because annoying monsters and crafting features aren't really my cup of tea.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is the DLC likely to be on sale any time soon? Having beaten my first crisis on Beginner and retired that company now that I have a better feel for what I'm doing, I do want to pick them up but both at once are a wee bit pricey - however, they don't ever seem to go much cheaper. If not, is there one in particular people would recommend? Leaning towards WotN because annoying monsters and crafting features aren't really my cup of tea.

They'll probably go on sale when the new DLC comes out but that won't be for months. If you're only going to get one, Warriors is by far the better of the two.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
They're both pricey and not that well balanced compared to the base game.
Company origins are really nice to have, though. So, yeah, get Warriors of the North if you go for one.

Gobblecoque posted:

It's not hard to find good ranged recruits, but it is very easy to end up not finding any decent candidates for a long time.
If you can find ranged backgrounds you'll probably find a usable archer soon enough, yeah. Hunters often don't even need any stars in Ranged Skill to be good enough.
You just need to have a map that creates bros of those backgrounds in settlements that don't constantly suffer from effects that reduce the recruit pool. Which isn't always the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This was exactly my situation two days ago - get WotN because the different starting scenarios are by FAR the best DLC-add the game has. That's what I did, and I'm Lovin' It™