Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
warhams the second came out three years ago, geez.

didn't feel like that long

in other news i only just realized they added a third vow tab for brett near the end of this campaign, whoops-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
drat i sure have wasted 3 years
oh well new campaign time

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gamerofthegame posted:

warhams the second came out three years ago, geez.

didn't feel like that long

in other news i only just realized they added a third vow tab for brett near the end of this campaign, whoops-
It took me way too long to realize Ikit's workshop scrolls down

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Enigma posted:

It took me way too long to realize Ikit's workshop scrolls down

Pardon?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
74 turn win as VH Empire, because Chaos just crashed into Kislev and exploded. Fantasy NATO did the rest for the capitals requirement. Destroying the vampires and booting out the Greenskins and Norscans were the real challenges. Maybe in my Dwarf run, the Kislevites won't be so resilient.

Corollary: Markus Wulfhart owns bones, I managed to take out 2 whole armies of Norscans using only 6 melee units to tank while his insane gunline just tore large targets and everything else to pieces. His AoE snare is solid as all hell too!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Kroak good

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Ammanas posted:

drat i sure have wasted 3 years
oh well new campaign time

release skaven in the vortex made me hate the gameplay so much (how many loving turns until I can take the vortex?) I buggered off and played other games more of 1 until only a few months ago. I'm having much more fun in mortal empires and it should have been the main game.

that said I recently finished bretonnia on 1 (leaving greenskins as my only race not played in that game) and that brings it to my most played tw game (tied with s2 if you include the xpacs). It probably would have been one of my favourite campaigns too if they told me I can just gently caress off and go straight to the errantry war with my doomstack instead of letting me fight my way there through the whole chaos invasion before working that out.

Also my current Malekith campaign I had 4 stacks of skaven thankfully dispersed by a rebel army that had got to full size :v: Does the tide of enemies to Naggarond slow down at all or can I get some breathing room to Invade Ulthuan?

pnutz fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 19, 2020

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

pnutz posted:

Also my current Malekith campaign I had 4 stacks of skaven thankfully dispersed by a rebel army that had got to full size :v: Does the tide of enemies to Naggarond slow down at all or can I get some breathing room to Invade Ulthuan?

By now Tyrion has united the island and is about to bash your face in

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 19, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The weapons team tab of the workshop scrolls down for upgrades to more teams. Might be the new stuff from the last major patch, can't quite remember.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Yeah the lab also includes warp grinder and poison wind mortar unit upgrades.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Oops wrong thread.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

My only real complaint with ME at the moment (aside from the bugs and the 'wrecking ball of order' taking over 90% of the time) is that some of the 'short' campaign goals are still a bit tedious, particularly the generic 'hold 8 of these super important capital cities'. Those aren't so bad for the order campaigns since it counts if you ally with the owners, but I just finished a Hellebron campaign where I owned half of the world, nobody was even close in power, and I still had to capture or ally with cities on the other side of the map. For some reason Lothern doesn't count for Hellebron, but she has cities like Black Crag, Karaz-a-karak, Kislev, and Lahmia on her list. It just led to a lot of pointless turns of me steamrolling through territory to capture these special cities. I had effectively 'won' the campaign like 30 turns before it became official.

It's strange how the empire used to basically be hard mode due to all the enemies you faced but I would say it's become one of the easiest campaigns now due to the new crazy empire campaign bonuses, the lack of pressing enemies, and being surrounded by order races that will almost always eventually ally with you (Brets and dwarfs). I'm playing a Von Carstein campaign right now and I'm already seeing the various empire states and dwarf factions starting to snowball towards me with Karl Franz camped at my border with one of those bonus imperial Steam Tanks (form early Wissenland confederation). At the moment aside from vampire hero spam I have nothing that can really touch that tank.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Anyone notice a weird crash with SFO when taking minor settlements with Repanse? Crashes to desktop without fail for me

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you don't care about fun, I find that finishing campaigns takes basically zero time if you 100% autoresolve exclusively. It's not particularly fun, but even if you lose a settlement you could have held onto, just autoresolving everything means you can do a 100-turn campaign in a day, no problem.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
It would be nice if they overhaul victory conditions in one of the updates. So many campaigns I’ll play until I become the undisputed juggernaut then either bail for a fresh campaign or auto all the remaining turns. Like I do enjoy fighting battles, but when you can send 3 doom stacks each toward those cities on the other side of the world those fights get tedious real quick.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Goddamit. I was 1 territory (and killing a very weak Grimgor) away from winning a Nakai campaign when the Order mega-alliance (who I all had +200 diplomacy with) declared war on Defenders of the Great Plan. I managed to seize one more city, but now I'm just sitting here fighting off endless Empire deathstacks with the one pyramid, hoping Black Crag commits suicide.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

My only real complaint with ME at the moment (aside from the bugs and the 'wrecking ball of order' taking over 90% of the time) is that some of the 'short' campaign goals are still a bit tedious, particularly the generic 'hold 8 of these super important capital cities'. Those aren't so bad for the order campaigns since it counts if you ally with the owners, but I just finished a Hellebron campaign where I owned half of the world, nobody was even close in power, and I still had to capture or ally with cities on the other side of the map. For some reason Lothern doesn't count for Hellebron, but she has cities like Black Crag, Karaz-a-karak, Kislev, and Lahmia on her list. It just led to a lot of pointless turns of me steamrolling through territory to capture these special cities. I had effectively 'won' the campaign like 30 turns before it became official.

It's strange how the empire used to basically be hard mode due to all the enemies you faced but I would say it's become one of the easiest campaigns now due to the new crazy empire campaign bonuses, the lack of pressing enemies, and being surrounded by order races that will almost always eventually ally with you (Brets and dwarfs). I'm playing a Von Carstein campaign right now and I'm already seeing the various empire states and dwarf factions starting to snowball towards me with Karl Franz camped at my border with one of those bonus imperial Steam Tanks (form early Wissenland confederation). At the moment aside from vampire hero spam I have nothing that can really touch that tank.

Completely agree with this. I have a VH vampire counts campaign at turn 150- I don’t think I can finish because the empire and the dwarfs are rank 1 and 2 with about 49 settlements each, allied to each other. There is no one else I can ally with, and lothern is rank 3.

At this point I started an empire campaign, basically did nothing, won easily. My take is that the vampire counts are railroaded into fighting each other over a small territory, while the empire consolidates the whole region and the dwarfs smash orcs and whoever else. I have never seen Kemmler leave black stone post, and Mousillon gets wretched by Bretonnia. I don’t know the lore, but vampire counts need to not fight each other immediately and they also need to start with the Moot as a real Capital, not a three slot. Vampire counts are the only immediate threat to the empire, and without that threat, empire will confess snowball every game without having to fight any real opposition.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Oh yeah, Moot is gobsmackingly terrible for Vamps. I'm considering letting it rebel in my current game and just ignoring it. But then some rear end in a top hat is going to come in and colonize it, so...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alamoduh posted:

Completely agree with this. I have a VH vampire counts campaign at turn 150- I don’t think I can finish because the empire and the dwarfs are rank 1 and 2 with about 49 settlements each, allied to each other. There is no one else I can ally with, and lothern is rank 3.

Yeah, I'm already concerned about this in my current campaign. It feels like to succeed as the counts you need to be super aggressive to tackle the empire states before they all confederate together, but if you are too aggressive they all declare war on you and ally together. It almost feels like Skarsnik needs to be tuned up a few notches to become a real threat along with Clan Moulder or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh yeah Order UN is a bit nuts and I really hope it changes with the next patch. I'm up to turn ~70 as Kemmler on VH and I am fending off invasions from Tyrion and Allarielle from across the "Great" (read: Tiny rear end) Ocean while also fighting the Empire and a bunch of their allies. I am holding most of Brettonia north of Carcassone & Parravon and am developing my settlements pretty high, but the VC economy is never that strong so I am just marching armies of Skeletons around in groups of three to gangtackle & autoresolve all my battles because gently caress fighting Alastar the White Lion weilding the Sword of Khaine & Tyrion with a full stack, half of which is Phoenixes.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Holy poo poo, I moved on from my bugged Repanse campaign to a SFO wood elves campaign and who the hell thought having Orion die every 'year' was a good idea?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Holy poo poo, I moved on from my bugged Repanse campaign to a SFO wood elves campaign and who the hell thought having Orion die every 'year' was a good idea?

Lore thing. There's a submod to disable that, IIRC.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nuclear War posted:

How often does that actually happen?

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Strangely enough, my most successful vamp campaign lately was from very aggressively beating the poo poo out of the other vamps (ignoring empire at first) in order to get that dwarf rep up. (Pretty sure someone else mentioned this too)

Was able to get Slayer-bro and Zhufbar to sign NAP, then trade, and eventually def alliance and full alliance. Think I started whooping up on empire folks between the def alliance and mil alliance. Used some hero actions against orcs to keep building that rep and broke off an extra army (think just lord and freebie skeles) to go gently caress up the greenskins north of Karak Kadrin. So as the beardtide started building they were continually my buddies.

Kept a few of the empire folks buddies from the start (I think Ostland and one of the other northernish ones). Beat up Stirland, Averland, Golden Order, Wissenland (I think that was the sequence at least). Meanwhile Karl had been confedding Todbringer, Marienburg, and I think Taba-folks. He confederated Wissenland right before I took her last city. I attacked next turn anyway to finish the province then pushed to raze Karl’s nearest couple cities and left a couple heroes to keep corruption increasing. Karl’s various doomstacks (which I think had been fighting in Norsca) kept showing up in small waves, but because my armies were in ambush out of range they would colonize and I would smack down the half-strength force. A few cycles of raze-repeat and then pushed for actually taking/holding Reikland. Once I had that momentum I was able to grab all empire provinces (except my buddies in the East/Northeast) and Karl was left with a few shitholes in Norsca. Finally got bored once I had #1 strength, beardtide allies had #2, and everyone nearby were complete non-contenders.

<3 my Bella campaigns so much

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If they stole the Beastmen moon mechanic for the "seasons" so you could at least get some serious faction bonuses while Orion is gone it might work better. Or if Orion came back with several levels or something...

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

No matter how hard I try to play other factions, I keep coming back to VCoast. Maybe if a beastmen or chaos rework makes them fun horde factions that'll change. Until then...

Diiiickhaaaaands

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
actually finishing a TW campaign is rare, so it's fine that ME's is kinda eh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gotta get those cheevos tho

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

toasterwarrior posted:

Gotta get those cheevos tho

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Kinda telling that the evil factions aren't even showing 0.1% at the moment.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I don't think I've technically ever won a ME campaign except wood elves cause it involves hours and hours of mop up long after you can crush everybody else.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I am very jealous of those Orc cheevos

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I might try wood elves again and just play it like a horde faction that roams and kills poo poo but doesn't hold territory. Is that viable?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Enigma posted:

I might try wood elves again and just play it like a horde faction that roams and kills poo poo but doesn't hold territory. Is that viable?

Sure, as long as you make military access pacts and alliances readily to access Amber and don't mind holding on to Athel Loren. Maybe even get mods to remove the Amber stuff if it's too much of a bother.

EDIT: Actually, if you don't even want to play nice, use this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1898456437

Let's you automatically assign conquered territory outside of Athel Loren to a vassal; you also still receive the Amber from their holdings.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 20, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

toasterwarrior posted:

Sure, as long as you make military access pacts and alliances readily to access Amber and don't mind holding on to Athel Loren. Maybe even get mods to remove the Amber stuff if it's too much of a bother.

EDIT: Actually, if you don't even want to play nice, use this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1898456437

Let's you automatically assign conquered territory outside of Athel Loren to a vassal; you also still receive the Amber from their holdings.

That's cool, so it works like nakai kind of except not boring lizards.

Thanks!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

How do I make Tomb Kings work? I'm playing vortex as Khotep. My economy sucks and my armies suck. I've barely been scratching out wins against cult of pleasure, but I'm worried that as soon as Malekith decides to come take my lunch money it's over.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Doin a Lokhir campaign to try out the new Black Ark mechanics after trying Malus and realizing that his is useless (and also that the Tzarkan campaign mechanic is garbage). They're drat good!

I'm still not really sure how you're supposed to do Lokhir's campaign itself though. Last time I played it (before Sotek and Itza were proper factions) I said gently caress the Karond Kar quest and just conquered Lustria, but got bored when it devolved into fighting endless Chaos waves that spawn in the sea right next to you and immediately sail straight at all your cities.

This time around I thought I'd use the improved Black Arks to take Karond Kar, but would at least secure the coast first. This took forever between the endless Skaven and Vampiric corruption necessitating endless babysitting and The Awakening having a strong garrison. When I'd sorted those out I only had enough time to get halfway up Ulthuan and sack one city before I had to go back and fight Puppets of Chaos forever.

Is taking Karond Kar before Chaos shows up feasible? I'm not good at this game by any means, but it seems like you'd have to basically abandon the south (and all your income) on a gamble.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Geisladisk posted:

How do I make Tomb Kings work? I'm playing vortex as Khotep. My economy sucks and my armies suck. I've barely been scratching out wins against cult of pleasure, but I'm worried that as soon as Malekith decides to come take my lunch money it's over.

TK start slow. Get a second army asap. Fill it with free skeletons. Get more armies, get more free skeletons. Drown enemy stacks in skeletons. Skeletons for days. Enemy units should be exhausted before they hit your good units. Tarpit everything in free skeletons then drive a chariot in their rear.

Khatep is pretty hard because the starting province is so large. Make friends with the lizards south of you and perhaps try to take out the vampires to your east, because the corruption is hard to deal with in the early campaign. You should use the rite that gives you a special agent that can colonise instantly at tier 3 because having tier 3 recruitment buildings early is a huge buff.

Also, don't antagonise the delves early. Skaven are much easier to deal with and can help you get a NAP some emo elf factions until you can take them out.

If you can, get an agent to sail the world, and later a lord collecting islands. You absolutely need a port and trade deals.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Geisladisk posted:

Each additional army makes things exponentially easier. And to get additional armies you need to research dynasties. So bonus to research is a big priority (each dynasty researched gives a penalty to research time). You have to be careful with money- focus on construction of settlement buildings, avoid agent actions early on, and only do the casket of souls rite until your income becomes decent. Anything that increases recruitment capacity and veterancy is also really good, since it costs nothing but a turn to dismiss lower rank units and replace them with higher veterancy ones.

Each main settlement building gives +1% research per building per tier. This encourages you to expand wide but it's tricky to defend all of it early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If you have not tried out the Vampire Count Lahmia Bloodline Lord, you are missing out. A friend told me about their "Queen Bee" skill, that gives a 50% bonus to agent success rate and a 50% discount on agent action cost in the same region that the Lord is in. Combined with the "Specialist" skill maxed on the agents, actions cost 10% and have a 100% success rate. The agent actions are free if you have the tech that reduces action cost by 33%.

Panfilo posted:

Each additional army makes things exponentially easier. And to get additional armies you need to research dynasties. So bonus to research is a big priority (each dynasty researched gives a penalty to research time). You have to be careful with money- focus on construction of settlement buildings, avoid agent actions early on, and only do the casket of souls rite until your income becomes decent. Anything that increases recruitment capacity and veterancy is also really good, since it costs nothing but a turn to dismiss lower rank units and replace them with higher veterancy ones.

Each main settlement building gives +1% research per building per tier. This encourages you to expand wide but it's tricky to defend all of it early on.
I'm intending to try out Tomb Kings next so thank you for this.