Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
For NGUs with "diminishing returns after x" is there a level after which it's just not worth putting energy into it?

Just trying to decide whether there's much point in taking the adventure stats one up from 20000 to 40000 or if that gain will be super tiny vs the time investment elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Kin posted:

For NGUs with "diminishing returns after x" is there a level after which it's just not worth putting energy into it?

Just trying to decide whether there's much point in taking the adventure stats one up from 20000 to 40000 or if that gain will be super tiny vs the time investment elsewhere.

Yea there is a point, always make the number go up.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

Kin posted:

You will eventually have hundreds of millions of levels in each NGU. The diminishing returns do get very steep but you can eyeball for yourself whether it’s worth it. Just note the current value, run it for an hour or so, and check to see how much it’s gone up, then think about what that’s worth to you compared to other things you could put your energy into. (Note: Adventure stats are usually worth a *lot*)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

1 billion

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

For many NGUs once you go over the soft cap the benefit scales with the square root of the level. In practice this means that doubling an NGU level from 20,000 to 40,000 is about a 40% increase in stats. If you're actively pushing to break into the next adventure zone or titan this is still the best source of stat growth.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Kin posted:

They cap at 1 billion, and you'll be working on evil (and then sadistic) long before you get to that. In evil and sadistic, there's a quirk that makes evil NGUs level up normal NGUs (and then sadistic level up evil, which levels up normal...), so basically, "no".

There are points early in evil/sadistic where it might make more sense to keep rapidly filling up the previous difficulty's NGUs rather than slowly gaining levels in the current difficulty's NGUs, though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Peepers posted:

For many NGUs once you go over the soft cap the benefit scales with the square root of the level. In practice this means that doubling an NGU level from 20,000 to 40,000 is about a 40% increase in stats. If you're actively pushing to break into the next adventure zone or titan this is still the best source of stat growth.

eh, not many, only a few

roughly in order of how much more X it takes to see an increase

no actual softcap - Power (a & b), Augments, Wandoos, Gold
softcapped by (x^0.8) - Time Machine
softcapped by a square root (x^0.5) - Adventure A, Drop Chance, Number
softcapped by (x^0.4) - Adventure B, Exp
softcapped by (x^0.3) - Magic & Energy NGU, Perk Points
softcapped by cube root (x^0.333...) - Yggs
hard softcap - respawn

the respawn softcap is determined by X = 100% * (0.2 + Levels/(5*Levels + 200000) ) which for sufficiently high levels approximates to 100% * (0.2 + 0.2*(Levels/Levels)) or 60%

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I just beat the Nerd. Is it worthwhile to invest xp into Stat 3 immediately or should I keep the focus on Energy and Magic?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Meinberg posted:

I just beat the Nerd. Is it worthwhile to invest xp into Stat 3 immediately or should I keep the focus on Energy and Magic?

You should invest in R3, but not to the exclusion of E/M. Cap speed, then start raising it at roughly the same ratio as E/M. I invest 350m XP at a time into energy and R3 (E: 1000000/30000000000/1000000. R3: 10/300000/10).

Hacks are very good and very worth investing in. It's basically constant, permanent gains in everything.

R3 is less useful for wishes, but you have a while to go before you get there.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Meinberg posted:

I don't know for sure, but as someone who tried keeping a focus on E&M at that point, I think R3 probably would've been better. Even after huge investments into E&M, I still can't really do much with Evil NGUs, so I'm just capping all my normal NGUs and then trying to figure out WTF to do with all my extra juice. I'm 90% sure that throwing a week's worth of XP into R3 instead would've yielded more forward progress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just skimmed through 20 pages of thread and it was 95% NGU chat. This genre is pretty much exhausted isn't it?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Honestly evil NGUs aren’t worth pushing for until you get a maxed set of godmother gear. Get the evil ones to soft cap, save for the ngu beast quirk, and focus on them after godmother.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

I just skimmed through 20 pages of thread and it was 95% NGU chat. This genre is pretty much exhausted isn't it?

There has been a drought of long term Idle games lately. Realm Grinder has turned into a mess, Trimps and Antimatter Dimensions are still there but into an endgame of sorts, new stuff like WAMI or Arcanum are either too underdeveloped or unstable to warrant a lot of attention. The few good entries that do pop up once in a while are very short and tend to get talked for a couple of days before everyone get done with it.

NGU has enough content that new players will be talking about new features for a while so it does get a bit too much sometimes.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Just hang on til later this year when you can talk nonstop about NGU Industries instead :shepface:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

something posted:

Just hang on til later this year when you can talk nonstop about NGU Industries instead :shepface:

Is it going to be a sequel with an ending? I like the ones that have something to work for and then an end. I've been working on Suicidle but will probably drop it because it feels balanced to take forever/my money

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Len posted:

Is it going to be a sequel with an ending? I like the ones that have something to work for and then an end. I've been working on Suicidle but will probably drop it because it feels balanced to take forever/my money

NGU itself is slated to have a for-real ending. This game is an idle but not a sequel to NGU exactly. The goal is to capture the upgreadeyness of Factorio but in an idle game setting.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You're saying one day that my numbers.... Won't go up??

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You're saying one day that my numbers.... Won't go up??

No. He's saying that one day...they won't have to

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Samuringa posted:

There has been a drought of long term Idle games lately. Realm Grinder has turned into a mess, Trimps and Antimatter Dimensions are still there but into an endgame of sorts, new stuff like WAMI or Arcanum are either too underdeveloped or unstable to warrant a lot of attention. The few good entries that do pop up once in a while are very short and tend to get talked for a couple of days before everyone get done with it.

NGU has enough content that new players will be talking about new features for a while so it does get a bit too much sometimes.

Defender Idle seems long-term (in that it is grindy as hell) and has an interesting mechanic, but I got pretty quickly bored of watching triangles going across the screen. Speaking of triangles going across the screen, I started fresh in Anti-Idle after reaching the end years ago and forgetting about it, and I am just hoping I can finish as much of it as possible before the Flashpocalypse kills it in December.

Other new games I've tried:
Idle Pins - seems like a lot of content but the mechanic is completely inscrutable and the in-game instructions are nonexistant
Aspiring Artist 2 - pretty much the same as the first one
Cividlization 2 - there's not enough to do in the early game to keep me from getting bored
Idle Sudoku Factory - super unbalanced, but if you really like Sudoku you might like it I guess
The Supplier's Complex - derivative of every other production-based idle game but will keep you busy for an hour

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Good news, Cividlization 2 has you play the early game repeatedly as you prestige from its Religion mechanic! Conquest of other cities really does not pay off for more than collecting prestige resources until you've gone through all four choices as happiness is too heavy a bottleneck!

Wait, where are you going?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've been playing Territory Idle on Steam but I haven't been talking about it because it is often barely an idle. The loop is basically you build in all your territory then ascend to get gold based on your production to buy more territory - except you're in for about two dozen ascensions before you can speed up the early game, and even then it's not by much, and the only automation part of it is gatekeeped behind a resource that you need a building for unless you spend premium currency on getting x resource every ascension except even then it's not enough to even automate you up to the building to generate it so you're back at square one almost immediately. Later on you can do challenges that speed up parts of the game but you also don't get any of those during the challenges so it's right back to a manual early game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What happened to Evolve anyway? The people playing it couldn't decide if the game was good, too demanding or good despite being too demanding and then suddenly it vanished.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
NGU bug report: the money pit reward that makes all worn equipment increase in level does not apply to the second weapon slot.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Most people are trying to extract dollars out of the genre now instead of developing interesting new ideas. The few that aren't so far fall into the short category, but yeah it's kind of going the way of most mobile game development where hoovering money seems to be on the forefront of every system

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Samuringa posted:

What happened to Evolve anyway? The people playing it couldn't decide if the game was good, too demanding or good despite being too demanding and then suddenly it vanished.
It's just kind of there. Once you do the different prestiges for the the different currencies you're done though. There's challenges for achievements and stuff but they're very grindy because - for example - there's a separate self-destruction one every single race (25) each with 5 different tiers, and they all just add a little bit to a single multiplier so achieving one never actually accelerates you meaningfully compared to just grinding prestige currency. There's three levels of prestige but once you've achieved the last one you're kind of done with the game unless you want to grind those achievements at largely the same pace you've been playing the game the whole time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Eldercain posted:

Most people are trying to extract dollars out of the genre now instead of developing interesting new ideas. The few that aren't so far fall into the short category, but yeah it's kind of going the way of most mobile game development where hoovering money seems to be on the forefront of every system

I don't blame them because it's 2020 and everyone needs a side grift

But I miss when things like Mine Defense or Candy Box were still made

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm fairly deep into Evolve and can Self-Destruct within a day of casual play or be ready for bioseeding in like 2-3, for a 3-star run. There's some room to accelerate via noodling around an Antimatter universe for a while since prestiging there counts as a separate resource. You're right, however, in that Mastery gained by achievements is not very meaningful past 50% and there tends to be a lot of waiting around in the later stages of the game. It isn't a fiddler-idle like Alkahistorian is and its completely understandable to bow out once you've hit all the mechanical content.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Len posted:

I don't blame them because it's 2020 and everyone needs a side grift

But I miss when things like Mine Defense or Candy Box were still made

I emailed the candy box Dev about a bug it was a very cute exchange and he fixed it.

I mean one should be paid for their labor but at the same time pay to win for a clone of an already successful game sucks huge rear end

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
This might be a silly question, but does levelling up your pom fruits actually get faster as you get closer to level 24?

From an eyeball, It just looks like the requirements to take it up a level don't seem to increas more than the growing return you get from the seeds.

I've got a few things like poop and first harvest on, but I've been using them fairly consistently over the last couple of fruit upgrades.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Kin posted:

This might be a silly question, but does levelling up your pom fruits actually get faster as you get closer to level 24?

From an eyeball, It just looks like the requirements to take it up a level don't seem to increas more than the growing return you get from the seeds.

I've got a few things like poop and first harvest on, but I've been using them fairly consistently over the last couple of fruit upgrades.

NGU?

Fruits take 1 hour per level.

so 24 hours for lvl 24.

Unless you have the PP? that decreases by a few mins per lvl. (Think at max in that fruits take 23 hours to reach lvl 24)

You get more seeds the higher the level the fruit. Lvl 24 Pom is good to level up the ones after it as you do get a fair few seeds.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The answer is "not really". The cost to level goes up at Level 2, while the seed gains are only Level 1.5. If it looks like it's taking fewer fruits to afford the next level, that might be your NGUs at work.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

NGU?

Fruits take 1 hour per level.

so 24 hours for lvl 24.

Unless you have the PP? that decreases by a few mins per lvl. (Think at max in that fruits take 23 hours to reach lvl 24)

You get more seeds the higher the level the fruit. Lvl 24 Pom is good to level up the ones after it as you do get a fair few seeds.

I think he means, upgrading to 10 will take, say, 2 'harvests' of level 9 fruit, but upgrading to 24 will only take 1 'harvest' or less of a level 23 fruit. Which I found the case when I was leveling my fruits up last time.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Just started NGU and I'm not sure what I should be spending EXP on right now. I'm up to the 47th boss now.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Base Energy speed to 25 or so is a good first goal, then a bar or 2 IIRC.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Marluxia posted:

Just started NGU and I'm not sure what I should be spending EXP on right now. I'm up to the 47th boss now.

Max energy speed first, then probably start spending xp on energy cap, magic speed, magic cap, energy power, energy bars, magic power, magic bars. Possibly in that order, someone else will have opinions too.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Another Chronicle is a Theory-of-Magic-like and while it's still in the very early stages, it seems promising. After idling overnight to get some levels, I was able to clear the rest of the content in half an hour, there's not a lot to it yet, but I'm hopeful.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

One of these things is not like the other and I'm sad about it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meinberg posted:

Another Chronicle is a Theory-of-Magic-like and while it's still in the very early stages, it seems promising. After idling overnight to get some levels, I was able to clear the rest of the content in half an hour, there's not a lot to it yet, but I'm hopeful.

The hump of trying to get more than 300 max destiny sucks.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Samuringa posted:

It's good, still playing. Scratches that civ building itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

terrenblade posted:

It's good, still playing. Scratches that civ building itch.
adding to this:
I fell off, but I stopped posting about it months before I really quit. There's just nothing to talk about. It's interesting but after the super early game each next step just becomes so obvious and is mostly just play a new race get their bonus, move on to another one. Eventually this gets old and you quit. Still highly recommend you play through at least a few races.