Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I never knew that Sluggo was a Sandgroper, especially with that accent...
https://www.kaydofishingworld.com/land-based-game-gas-ballooning-tactics/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 24, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 24, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 24, 1988)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Reminder that Bernhard already killed one nobleman after courting his bride.

Nancy

Dustin

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

You should have read the wiki!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mummitrollet

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Snorkmaiden :allears:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RandomPauI posted:

What do you figure the birdwoman/mouse man Holbrook kid will be like? He already has a plant baby.

The most Holbrook thing I can think of is that they can't have kids due to their residual animal DNA being incompatible, so one of them has to transition into a bird/mouse first. That somehow causes their kid to have animal characteristics because Holbrook loves "Has X as a character trait".

SubNat posted:

Mummitrollet

I'm really enjoying Moomin and Sniff's Dumbass Adventures.

Isn't this gaslighting?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I've finally finished my traditional new year ritual of catching up on the six months of thread that I missed! How long will I be able to keep up this year? Six months. It's always six months.

My comic strip megashelf grew over the holiday season, and one of my acquisitions was the new Nancy collection.

Yeah, that tracks.

It also includes the Vulture interview, which still makes me laugh because I'm petty.

Vulture posted:

What was the note you wrote down for the famed “Sluggo is lit” Labor Day strip? Did you just write down “Sluggo is lit?”

No, actually, I had a couple of worse ideas for Labor Day because Labor Day is Nancy April Fools’. Ernie Bushmiller would always [jokingly] be like, “I’m not drawing Nancy today for X reason.” My first ideas were to make it a do-it-yourself strip, like, “I’m not gonna write the joke, so here’s a bunch of blank speech bubbles.” Or one where there’s just like a bunch of different scenes stolen from other comics. And then I was like, Actually, what are the panels that would most upset the person who likes me the least? The most upsetting panel to somebody who’s like, “Nancy sucks now”? I actually went to Shena because I don’t read the comments. Shena was like, “Oh, definitely have a panel that’s all phones.” And then I’d been joking with her at the very beginning about how I was going to make Fritzi [who wore very formfitting outfits in the Gilchrist era] wear a parka, and she was like, “People would hate that.” But then I was like, the incarnation of what I imagine my greatest hater would despise most is Nancy interacting with every piece of technology using words you don’t understand. So, yeah, that’s where that one came from.

Here are some lovely cellphone pics of the pages I think are most relevant to this thread's interests.

I love that little Cul de Sac Nancy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is whenever Luke's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Luke?"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Since when did the Empire start hiring giants as their fighter pilots?

Was Al W. bored when he drew this? "Ah, nobody ever shows the poor pilot when their fighter explodes, I'ma gonna draw this one"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (May 26, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 16-17, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Jan 27-28, 2015)

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

amigolupus posted:

The guy on Apartment 3-G's second panel is looking to the side like he can't believe this farce. Compare that to Mark Trail's second panel which is supposed to convey...what exactly? It bugs me how Mark Trail almost always has an extreme close-up of someone's face. It'd be fine if it was drawn in different angles to convey certain moods, but James is so creatively bankrupt that he always draws them facing the front like this.

I strongly suspect that all the heads are drawn by somebody else, either before as a big collection of assets for Jam to choose from or as something drawn into the panel before or after by an assistant. The drawing style of the heads and drat near everything else is different, and things don't fit together too well -- the head positions don't make sense, necks too long or too short, etc. I'm thinking of the Cherry bikini lounging pose from way way back. We see the real Jam style when the characters are far away (probably because he doesn't have assets that small, or they look terrible when he reduces them), and also in Edge of Adventure, where a given character's face looks different every time he draws it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How about this passive agressive bullshit that doesn't belong in a healthy relationship you just go "Hey, I want to go see such and such movie. Do you want to go with me?" It just solidifies my feeling that under the surface of this saccharine strip is a bunch of lovely marriages and horrible people.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
January 3rd & 5th, 1981

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

I've finally finished my traditional new year ritual of catching up on the six months of thread that I missed! How long will I be able to keep up this year? Six months. It's always six months.

My comic strip megashelf grew over the holiday season, and one of my acquisitions was the new Nancy collection.

Yeah, that tracks.

It also includes the Vulture interview, which still makes me laugh because I'm petty.

Here are some lovely cellphone pics of the pages I think are most relevant to this thread's interests.

I love that little Cul de Sac Nancy.

I love Nancy Psycho 100 and Cul De Sac Nancy. :swoon:

MyronMulch posted:

I strongly suspect that all the heads are drawn by somebody else, either before as a big collection of assets for Jam to choose from or as something drawn into the panel before or after by an assistant. The drawing style of the heads and drat near everything else is different, and things don't fit together too well -- the head positions don't make sense, necks too long or too short, etc. I'm thinking of the Cherry bikini lounging pose from way way back. We see the real Jam style when the characters are far away (probably because he doesn't have assets that small, or they look terrible when he reduces them), and also in Edge of Adventure, where a given character's face looks different every time he draws it.

Now I'm imagining he has a clipart folder with eyes, noses and mouths that he recycles when making these huge close-ups.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

MyronMulch posted:

I honestly don't think James Allen c%ps or traces, but he does copy directly from old drawings (or 'source material' as he calls it). For nature stuff he definitely uses GIS pictures, I think anyone who has taken a second to google a subject of his Sunday stuff has found the picture he used most of the time (see here and here).

But he does probably draw the character bodies himself, which is why they often don't seem to fit together right, and when he is free-drawing a character that is brand new and he has no source material to draw from for the face, like not-Vargo, it clearly sticks out as different.

I doubt he has an assistant at all. He started out as that but times have changed and I don't think there's that much money coming from the syndicate to him for drawing MT for him to pay for one.

Mary Worth

The Phantom messes with his daughter for another week.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Flash Gordon

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Wow, this might really be the end of Retail.

Breaking news: It actually is!

https://twitter.com/normfeuti/status/1218956531502325760?s=19

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is a flight risk.

Working Daze lacks focus.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is back!

Cul De Sac should have sent a poet.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

lol, jesus christ this rules

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Curtis' new hat is going to make Billingsley's frequent trips to rerun-ville even easier to spot.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Was Al W. bored when he drew this? "Ah, nobody ever shows the poor pilot when their fighter explodes, I'ma gonna draw this one"

One thing I’ve always thought was funny was that Star Wars stuff always goes on about how the Empire treats all their personnel as if they were expendable and doesn’t make any effort to keep individuals alive, but the TIE fighters and stormtroopers both wear enclosed spacesuits that presumably can survive the vacuum of space, while the Rebels all have open-faced helmets and would be completely hosed if they survive their ship’s destruction.

Kind of a shame about Retail, it was very hit-or-miss for me, but when it did hit it was great. I like that he’s actually wrapping up with a finale storyline, I’m interested to see how everything pans out for all the characters. Also curious what Feuti does next, if he’s retiring from comics period or if he’s got a new strip up his sleeve.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

One thing I’ve always thought was funny was that Star Wars stuff always goes on about how the Empire treats all their personnel as if they were expendable and doesn’t make any effort to keep individuals alive, but the TIE fighters and stormtroopers both wear enclosed spacesuits that presumably can survive the vacuum of space, while the Rebels all have open-faced helmets and would be completely hosed if they survive their ship’s destruction.

The TIE pilots have the full suits because the fighters don't have life support systems.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Kind of a shame about Retail, it was very hit-or-miss for me, but when it did hit it was great. I like that he’s actually wrapping up with a finale storyline, I’m interested to see how everything pans out for all the characters. Also curious what Feuti does next, if he’s retiring from comics period or if he’s got a new strip up his sleeve.

Blog post says he's going to focus on his career as a children's book writer/illustrator, so this looks like it's it for him in the funny pages.

I was expecting a swerve into Grumbles being purchased by an Amazon-style online retail behemoth so he could explore "new" storylines (with the same ol' "Customers are poo poo, management is stupid" punchlines.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

JethroMcB posted:

I was expecting a swerve into Grumbles being purchased by an Amazon-style online retail behemoth so he could explore "new" storylines (with the same ol' "Customers are poo poo, management is stupid" punchlines.)

The Drew Carey Show tried that. It didn't go well.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

amigolupus posted:

Now I'm imagining he has a clipart folder with eyes, noses and mouths that he recycles when making these huge close-ups.

I'm pretty sure the previous artist on Mary Worth used to do exactly that. And not always very carefully. A couple of examples from 2012:

:pwn:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set takes more than just memories.

Working Daze looks very uncomfortable.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is doing what it can.

Cul De Sac knows how to self-judge.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Binary Badger posted:

The size of the pilot seems right for the size of the TIE fighter.

e;

Stultus Maximus posted:

The TIE pilots have the full suits because the fighters don't have life support systems.

Also helps keep the TIE fighters impersonal and faceless so you don't feel so bad when they get blown away. Unlike the Xwing fighters who you can see the faces and expressions and get attached and root for them.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 19, 2020

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

This Guest Comic Wednesday presented by the in-corgi-able @tacobusart 🐶

👉 http://bummercorp.com 👈

Pickles

Zits

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiggum posted:

When is science ever realistic in any of his comics?

Just often enough to stand out. There's no reason he should note signal delays in a comic where you can drink a DNA potion and turn into a macaroon, or not just have time travel work like in Terminator instead of this dimension-hopping thing he's got going on (thinking about it, it's a bit Michael Crichton's Timeline, and about as poorly thought out).

I mostly liked Retail, I'll be sad to see it go. If looking for a replacement, I wouldn't mind seeing Gil again, though it sounds like it's not running any more either.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

1: BCN no please don't jump on the meme bandwagon.

2: Phoebe no you can't just loving come for me like that, that's AIM and everything, how could you.

3: that Zits is just :drat:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hostile V posted:

sorry but they already had a strip months ago where the one cat said "This kibble is heckin' fire. It slaps."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Hostile V posted:

2: Phoebe no you can't just loving come for me like that, that's AIM and everything, how could you.

3: that Zits is just :drat:

I'm willing to give BCN a pass on this one because of how autobiographical it is, how Georgia Dunn is exactly the sort of person who would fall for Baby Yoda, and how consistently willing she is to give herself poo poo for this.

And jesus christ, agreed on that Zits.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hwurmp posted:

sorry but they already had a strip months ago where the one cat said "This kibble is heckin' fire. It slaps."
There's a difference between normal, honest home-grown memes made by the people and memes that stem from corporate products and I, my fine person, will not settle for any corporate-interest memes in strips I enjoy! That's why they belong in the strips I hate, like Working Daze or anything Holbrook makes.

Also that's a fair enough point because even The Man is like "wow, uh, not my thing but alright honey" as opposed to everyone liking it.

e: also that Locher Tracy is just the platonic ideal of what the comic should be and I want Dick Tracy to just be weird incoherent poo poo like that forever, just go bananas, get stupid, draw whatever.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 20, 2020

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 21, 1973)

The Torture Of Hanging Out On A Gorgeous Beach With Les Moore

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Life (With Skippy) (January 17, 1924)

Elsewhere In The Magazine:

(Crosby, taking an unusual interest in one of the longtime back-of-the-issue advertisers.)

(Another clinker from Don Herold.)

(W. Fletcher White, who I'm having trouble tracking anything down about.)

Alias: Buster Brown (March 22, 1908)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 20, 2020

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1978 Comics

This bitch just constantly slut shaming everybody all the time

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Binary Badger posted:

Also, this post made me remember the Macross alien soldier pods with 50 foot tall (?) guys in them.

And how it wouldn't be too out of place in Star Wars canon.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

The "How did you hurt your hand?" / "Fighting terrorism" panel would be a decent avatar.

Rhymes with Orange

Doomed Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/18/00

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Alias: Buster Brown (March 22, 1908)

Okay, Buster Brown buying bootleg merch of himself with a subtle "accept no imitations" note at the top is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!