Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Staying awake all night, getting tipsy, and playing games with Canadians...Las Vegas, or Team Fortress 2 ?

It's great that 20 minute Dustbowl Is Still A Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

i killed a sticky demo as scout where's my cheevo

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Peanut President posted:

i killed a sticky demo as scout where's my cheevo

HOLY poo poo THIS THREAD IS STILL ALIVE AND YOU ARE STILL PLAYING LIKE I AM

Sup dude :3

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I died to you once and I was like "is that actually zoolooman" glad to see it was. also IDK how we won that

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

Peanut President posted:

I died to you once and I was like "is that actually zoolooman" glad to see it was. also IDK how we won that

huge throws also our ludicrously (suspiciously) good sniper was going saltmode and claiming the enemy sniper was cheating so ???

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Zoolooman posted:

huge throws also our ludicrously (suspiciously) good sniper was going saltmode and claiming the enemy sniper was cheating so ???

ah yes classic tf2

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zoolooman posted:

HOLY poo poo THIS THREAD IS STILL ALIVE AND YOU ARE STILL PLAYING LIKE I AM

Sup dude :3

As long as I am mod this thread will never die. (TF2 still my most played game thanks to SA!)

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

VideoGames posted:

As long as I am mod this thread will never die. (TF2 still my most played game thanks to SA!)

From release until today... TF2 remains varied enough that you can enjoy it on and off for a decade and change.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Agreed. Also it offers a type of team based gameplay that nothing else really fills. You either have a reality based shooter ala CoD or Battlefield, or a class based shooter that takes heavily influence from MOBAs. Paladins and Overwatch have neat ideas and mechanics buried under dreadful design principles like ults, and shielding/damage negation.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Every once in awhile we should gather up and pub around with fellow goons.

Do we have a discord?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Paladins and Overwatch have neat ideas and mechanics buried under dreadful design principles like ults, and shielding/damage negation.

The switch to small teams driven by matchmaking was definitely not an improvement as far as casual play is concerned.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Overwatch permanently sabotaged itself by creating a bunch of damage-mitigating classes who interpret "defense" as something other than fragging attackers and it is not a fixable problem. TF2 is the perfect formula for the broad genre of game that it is because every class can kill in two or three clean shots, including the medic. No other game is brave enough to embrace burst damage and mobility the way TF2 did.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

Reiley posted:

Overwatch permanently sabotaged itself by creating a bunch of damage-mitigating classes who interpret "defense" as something other than fragging attackers and it is not a fixable problem. TF2 is the perfect formula for the broad genre of game that it is because every class can kill in two or three clean shots, including the medic. No other game is brave enough to embrace burst damage and mobility the way TF2 did.

Agreeeeeeed 1000%.

Overwatch's tank and damage mitigation are miserable to play around.

Also, having so many ults that defined fights was exceptionally miserable. Contrast that with TF2. Medic ubers already have outsized impact in TF2, and that's a single class dedicated to having an ult.

Giving every player an ultimate was a mistake that just sapped the natural ebb and flow of combat in many cases.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Reiley posted:

I think I straight up said this in this thread a few weeks/months after it launched. I was so disappointed with it because I was initially so excited pre launch.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zoolooman posted:

Giving every player an ultimate was a mistake that just sapped the natural ebb and flow of combat in many cases.
also medic loses uber when he dies, tf2 characters keep their ult on death which creates all sorts of weird knockon effects

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I feel like barriers were originally designed as a solution to chokepoint/sniper lane issues that wouldn't exist with better map design and more mobility options. I can see the appeal but there are already better solutions to the problems that they solve, and in return they just introduce even more problems.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Barriers were a solution for players with low twitch FPS skill to be able to participate by being lumps of meat who stop anything from happening if they don't want to play one of multiple support characters reversing the other team's progress rather than just killing them to halt further damage progression. There's so much un-fragging baked into the core of Overwatch and there's honestly no way to undo that design choice without trashcanning half the cast. TF2 on the other hand is very elegant in its simplicty, you pick one of eight broad archetypes of damage-giving or the one single guy who juices you enough to make a push through enemy fire with 150% health and it's always aggressive. You solve the problem by killing the other dude, there isn't a vast network of interconnected un-killing at play, the solution is basically always making the other guy turn into hamburger.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

I feel like barriers were originally designed as a solution to chokepoint/sniper lane issues that wouldn't exist with better map design and more mobility options. I can see the appeal but there are already better solutions to the problems that they solve, and in return they just introduce even more problems.

the tank characters were designed based purely on the idea that games have DPS, Tanks and Healers, not based around any actual gameplay consideration. this is why most of them are so dreadfully boring to play and obnoxious to play against: they're an archetype which generally does not work in an FPS game.

If every tank had been like Zarya or Roadhog, characters that are tanky and have a limited ability to mitigate damage and protect teammates but are still mostly focused on killing things, it would have been fine. But there were too many tanks like Reinhardt who were just giant brick walls of health and shield.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my overwatch opinion is that paladins is sincerely a better game(and also f2p), because damage mitigation and healing are way weaker, it has much better game design and better pace and expression of player skill in general

but it doesn't look as good, which is enough reason for not nearly as many people to play it. good sign of what's wrong with the audience for those games imo

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Oddly enough, TF2 does use a barrier but it's only for the Medic in MvM when you're facing off against bots :v: If that got introduced into regular play it'd prevent a lot more hamburger time.

Reiley posted:

the solution is basically always making the other guy turn into hamburger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msGvEtmR970

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oddly enough the way you describe TF2's almost unique position in shooters makes me think the closest counterpart is Splatoon.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

Reiley posted:

Barriers were a solution for players with low twitch FPS skill to be able to participate by being lumps of meat who stop anything from happening if they don't want to play one of multiple support characters reversing the other team's progress rather than just killing them to halt further damage progression. There's so much un-fragging baked into the core of Overwatch and there's honestly no way to undo that design choice without trashcanning half the cast. TF2 on the other hand is very elegant in its simplicty, you pick one of eight broad archetypes of damage-giving or the one single guy who juices you enough to make a push through enemy fire with 150% health and it's always aggressive. You solve the problem by killing the other dude, there isn't a vast network of interconnected un-killing at play, the solution is basically always making the other guy turn into hamburger.

This is why I still love TF2 over all other PC class shooters. Even the worst gimmicks are just funnier, stupider ways to make a man dead. Nothing else has done it as well, so I'm still going back to TF2 whenever I'm not playing a single player game.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

TF2 is such a good game that whenever I try to play other shooters I just ask myself why I'm not just playing TF2. Shame that the community was obliterated.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Battalion's Backup, Fists of Steel and most sniper secondaries work as "shields" of sorts.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
And even then, all of those ate nerfs at some point cause they caused matches to go in a really sloggish direction of some kind. I never thought I would ever see the day the Razorback of all things had to get nerfed. Tell any player that happened before the thing actually became a popular secondary and you would have been seen as nuts.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Battalion's Backup, Fists of Steel and most sniper secondaries work as "shields" of sorts.

yes, and they're all some of the worst additions to the game and are widely hated or considered useless depending on how hard they've been nerfed over the years

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
And luckily they aren’t highly used. All are also banned in 6s and I believe HL as well because they are boring to play against. Only the demo shields are used to any great degree in casual, and it’s giving up a lot versatility with Stickies.

A dream of mine would be porting a lot of the unique ideas from paladins and OW to the team. Really I just want to strap rockets to soldiers hand and punch people with it. Doom fist is really cool mobility with stupid crowd control that could be removed even if it made the play harder.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

And luckily they aren’t highly used. All are also banned in 6s and I believe HL as well because they are boring to play against. Only the demo shields are used to any great degree in casual, and it’s giving up a lot versatility with Stickies.

I don't count the demo shields as defensive items because their primary purpose is to run straight at your enemies while screaming so that you can instagib crit them, with their damage resistance being very much secondary to that.

however anyone who uses the shield and then just sits around shooting pipes at people is scum, the boots should be mandatory with the shields

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

I don't count the demo shields as defensive items because their primary purpose is to run straight at your enemies while screaming so that you can instagib crit them, with their damage resistance being very much secondary to that.

however anyone who uses the shield and then just sits around shooting pipes at people is scum, the boots should be mandatory with the shields

While I agree, and the fact that they only reduce the explosive damage, they still mitigate damage at a basic level. I hate the crowd control aspect of a lot of OW than the damage mitigation.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Araxxor posted:

And even then, all of those ate nerfs at some point cause they caused matches to go in a really sloggish direction of some kind. I never thought I would ever see the day the Razorback of all things had to get nerfed. Tell any player that happened before the thing actually became a popular secondary and you would have been seen as nuts.
It's weird that TF2wiki doesn't seem to track all the changes weapons go through. Is there a resource for that?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

It's weird that TF2wiki doesn't seem to track all the changes weapons go through. Is there a resource for that?

yeah it's called the TF2 wiki

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Still shocking to me that the various soldier banners have passive effects. I always thought the Battalion's Backup was the most dreadful/powerful of them because it can make you immune to crits (a soldier secondary that can potentially negate a Kritzkrieg! :derp:), and then I find out you also get +20 health all the time. Except of course for the Buff Banner, arguably the least powerful of the 3 even without the passives.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They also all have a passive -6 max shotgun ammo.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the conch gives the soldier passive regen and im still baffled that remains in the game, as minor as the regen is.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

the conch gives the soldier passive regen and im still baffled that remains in the game, as minor as the regen is.

black box +conch/battallion's is some of the stupidest poo poo they've put in and takes a class that is already easy as hell and overly strong on a casual level and makes it completely braindead

i'm absolutely awful at soldier and am still capable of completely steamrolling any casual match with it, and I'm sure a sufficiently trained orangutan could manage the same. and this is post-nerf.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I really wish they'd give the black box a floor to its healing, it's an incredibly lovely rocket launcher when you don't pair it with the conch. I wouldn't mind them nerfing the conch and buffing the box.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Shield Grenade Demoman is great, pipes aren't the easiest to hit and you're open to eat poo poo if you miss due to not having a backup unless you go Hybridknight which is a very fun playstyle. Who doesn't love being a Demoman with 210 health who runs faster than a Medic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Shield Grenade Demoman is great, pipes aren't the easiest to hit and you're open to eat poo poo if you miss due to not having a backup unless you go Hybridknight which is a very fun playstyle. Who doesn't love being a Demoman with 210 health who runs faster than a Medic.

ive only done it a couple times but getting the necessary eyelander heads with sticky and nades is one of the most powerful feelings in gaming

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I have no issues with the Conch, it basically exists to make most of Soldier's less good Rocket Launchers(basically all of them besides Stock/The Original, Direct Hit, and Liberty Launcher) actually usable*, I mean I doubt anyone would ever touch the Cow Mangler otherwise(and that comes from someone who is a huge fan of that weapon)

*except the Air Strike, that one basically requires using either a pair of boots or the Base Jumper to be even remotely practical(though it's one of those weapons that honestly needs a more or less complete rework)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If Valve wasn't a trash fire, we'd already have a TF3 to cover the massive streamlining + reworks the game needs