Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Floodixor posted:

When's the last time any one of ya'll saw a creb in real life

I saw one at an aquarium but that was a tragic amount of time ago, I feel my creb reserves getting low, gotta see a Crab in the wild STAT as I fail to see how it would not help me

Hopefully u were with a loved one when you saw creb and have fond memories of that time together

I took some students out to the lagoon to introduce them to some of our local marine life today and met this very nice crab who was happy to make new friends

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
A good looking crab

I like the last time you saw a Crab stories, they hopefully take you back to golden halcyon days

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/scienceshitpost/status/1218736832340529152

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

I took some students out to the lagoon to introduce them to some of our local marine life today and met this very nice crab who was happy to make new friends

grab fin near body to avoid tiny snips

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Necros posted:

grab fin near body to avoid tiny snips

Yeah I usually do. The students have to get pictures of a bunch of different kinds of marine animals next to a ruler and he was being uncooperative so I took a little snip snop for the team.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah I usually do. The students have to get pictures of a bunch of different kinds of marine animals next to a ruler and he was being uncooperative so I took a little snip snop for the team.

Did it hurt? A hermit crab got my finger once with its big claw and it was surprisingly strong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's dungoness season so all the grocery stores have them so I last saw a creb like, a week ago probably

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Necros posted:

Did it hurt? A hermit crab got my finger once with its big claw and it was surprisingly strong.

Nah it wasn't too bad, didnt even break the skin. I mean I'm not gonna say it felt great, but after getting popped by a stone crab this sorta pales in comparison.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I go to the exotic pet store every two weeks for snake food so I see their hermit crabs all the time. They're super cute and I'll get a few some day!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah it wasn't too bad, didnt even break the skin. I mean I'm not gonna say it felt great, but after getting popped by a stone crab this sorta pales in comparison.

What crab is the strongest, what crab has the strongest pinch

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Floodixor posted:

What crab is the strongest, what crab has the strongest pinch

Big boy coconut crab!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
one fringe benefit of having aquarium crabs is instead of brushing your teeth or washing your face you can dunk your head under the water and the crabs will climb into your mouth to groom you. If you have a big enough tank they'll even wash your hair

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

my cat is norris posted:

Big boy coconut crab!

My friend got a coconut crab tattoo and I'm jealous

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

A CRAB IRL posted:

My friend got a coconut crab tattoo and I'm jealous

Pics or gtfo, obviously.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

All Crabs Are Blessed

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Hygiene posted:

All Crabs Are Blessed

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

That's sick as hell

Crebs: inspiring the modern art movement one claw at a time

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A really old pic of a DOUBLE lobster that I ate at a Chinese restaurant up in Toronto.

naem
May 29, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

A really old pic of a DOUBLE lobster that I ate at a Chinese restaurant up in Toronto.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

After extensive testing at great expense to the public, we have concluded that lobsters are somewhat aerodynamic, but definitely seem better suited to swimming.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Who the gently caress cooked that monstrosity, Mr Magoo?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why is it covered in corn flakes

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol its covered in fried garlic and onions and...stuff. I'm not sure why they serve it like that at that restaurant though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Hopefully not just on the buffet or pool deck :(

No! They were wild crabs who lived on the rocks and were very cute.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lol its covered in fried garlic and onions and...stuff. I'm not sure why they serve it like that at that restaurant though.
Is there another seafood restaurant next door..?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Good morning creb thread and all fans of crebs, I would like to start out the day by asking any of you if you would ever have a Crab for a pet (NOT to eat!!!) and if so, please address the Big Question of crab ownership which is WHERE would you keep it???

Do they like to roam around and scuttle about or are they content with a modest patch of land

free range creb

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

if I got a tank for my crab (or crabs) I would get only the finest tank, large and wjt plenty of things for him to engage with with his claws, like treasure chests or skulls or a tiny billiard table

Maybe on nice days I would let him road around the house or even the backyard perhaps
My friends family has a turtle and she trucks around the house all the time and seems to enjoy it very much, I would do my best as a pet owner to keep my creb as only the happiest of Crabs

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Floodixor posted:

Good morning creb thread and all fans of crebs, I would like to start out the day by asking any of you if you would ever have a Crab for a pet (NOT to eat!!!) and if so, please address the Big Question of crab ownership which is WHERE would you keep it???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnytZ3DRf6s

I'll have what he's having.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I had mine in simple 10 gallon tanks, I think free-ranging them is a little too risky, especially since they can hide like pros and be super fast and scuttley. I didn’t do a great job with them but there are some IG accounts who go all out and have pretty awesome crabitats.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I feel bad because I just had the same dish a few weeks ago in china. It looks like they took the panko fry and dumped in on top. Not how it's supposed to be done.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This is violence

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I had mine in simple 10 gallon tanks, I think free-ranging them is a little too risky, especially since they can hide like pros and be super fast and scuttley. I didn’t do a great job with them but there are some IG accounts who go all out and have pretty awesome crabitats.

This, a good size tank + fun stuff to do in it and they should be fine. If they're happy enough they might start talking/making claw noises/etc at night :3:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floodixor posted:

Do they like to roam around and scuttle about or are they content with a modest patch of land

free range creb

:crab:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

hell yeah, this is what I'm talking about here

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

and this too

like I wonder in their little heads if they appreciate it, "thank u for the walk sir"

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

This, a good size tank + fun stuff to do in it and they should be fine. If they're happy enough they might start talking/making claw noises/etc at night :3:

I got one of those educational kits with fiddler crabs, let me tell you the dominant male got be a real annoying rear end with his claw waving in the middle of the night (smaller container, he got pretty big though). It is neat when they make noises though. The bubbler I had with my watermelon fiddlers always used to trip me out because it sounded like voices in the other room in my apartment (where I lived alone). :tinfoil:

My Chilean shore crab (my best guess) was a fairly personable fellow. I really need to get back into that. My last tank was a disaster, the poo poo all leeched out of the driftwood I used (despite soaking it). And it was just FUBAR :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Does it have to be a saltwater environment? I always heard those were a huge pain in the rear end to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

All of mine have been fresh/brackish (I’m not beaming success solitary though). Saltwater is definitely more intensive on equipment but I’ve not taken the plunge there myself.