Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy poo poo that class warfare in the moral panel of buster brown.

I admit I often skim past BB aside from the terrifying faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

amigolupus posted:

Now I'm imagining he has a clipart folder with eyes, noses and mouths that he recycles when making these huge close-ups.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Now, being attacked by a yeti doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad sack of tears....

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth
9 Chickweed Lane

Uh, did I miss a strip explaining why a young healthy woman would need to schedule hospitalization during pregnancy?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Uh, did I miss a strip explaining why a young healthy woman would need to schedule hospitalization during pregnancy?

It's a high risk pregnancy. Twins sharing an amniotic sac or something, if I remember right.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've been super busy with beginning-of-the-semester stuff, but here are some very late comics:

Barnaby (May 20th-May 23rd, 1942)

Dykes to Watch Out For (still 1986)

Sam's Strip (October 19-October 21, 1961)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft
"Trust but verify" is one of the most infuriatingly dumb phrases. The two things are mutually exclusive. Trusting means not checking. If you're verifying then you don't trust. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ULuLT1FVyY

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It makes a lot more sense when you put it into its correct context of Reagan parroting a literal translation of a Russian proverb in an attempt to seem relatable to the Soviets during the Cold War.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

"Trust but verify" is one of the most infuriatingly dumb phrases. The two things are mutually exclusive. Trusting means not checking. If you're verifying then you don't trust. :argh:

Only if you view trust as a black and white binary.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Only if you view trust as a black and white binary.

In what possible situation is verifying not a clear indicator of a lack of trust?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Stone Soup

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/30/53

They'll Do It Every Time 8/8/46

Mopsy 8/18/42

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Regarding that Kevin and Kell, it’s completely out of character for the bride to be to leave her wedding dress up to anyone else. She’s explicitly been described as a bridezilla. Cmon Holbrook, keep track of your terrible characters.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Tiggum posted:

In what possible situation is verifying not a clear indicator of a lack of trust?

Any academic or scientific writing unless you're operating off of a very strange and presumably depressing definition of "trust."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

Any academic or scientific writing unless you're operating off of a very strange and presumably depressing definition of "trust."

A lack of trust is exactly why you verify in science though? Not necessarily lack of trust in the people who did the research but certainly in their results. Not trusting things is the entire basis of science.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If I didn't trust a scientist's data I'd just throw it out and not check their work with the whole empirical experimentation whosywhatsits.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tiggum posted:

To accept verification requires a baseline level of trust.

If you believe someone is mistrustful enough, you won't believe them regardless of the evidence they produce.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It certainly doesn't make sense in this context, where she's talking about Ed Crankshaft whom she detests and has never trusted a day in her life.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

If I didn't trust a scientist's data I'd just throw it out and not check their work with the whole empirical experimentation whosywhatsits.
That's the point? It's about taking trust out of the process entirely. You don't need to trust anything because you can verify it - either personally or by seeing that other independent researchers have all come out with the same results.

Schwarzwald posted:

To accept verification requires a baseline level of trust.

If you believe someone is mistrustful enough, you won't believe them regardless of the evidence they produce.
That's just not true at all. If you ask someone "did you bring the thing I asked for?" and you don't trust them at all, you'll still believe them if their answer is to present you with the thing. If you trusted them to bring it then you wouldn't ask, because you would already believe they had brought it. If you don't trust them then you require evidence, eg. seeing the thing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zits is pretty drat good.

Look at Mason, trying to stick it to The Man by burning a dollar bill.

God, Batiuk is such a pretentious hack.

You just made my day with this. :allears:

Clearly what this teacher miserable with the common cold needs to feel better is more of this idiot child blathering nonsense.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: This is why you only get junks from people with good reviews on Yelp, Rasputin!, or Rasputin is always game, or Corto takes a leaf out of Oh Dae-su's book

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 25, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 25, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 25, 1988)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

re: "trust but verify" - I always thought it was intended to be a cynical proverb that boiled down to its inherent contradiction. You trust people to their faces and then quietly, privately verify their statement.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pastry of the Year posted:

re: "trust but verify" - I always thought it was intended to be a cynical proverb that boiled down to its inherent contradiction. You trust people to their faces and then quietly, privately verify their statement.

That's definitely how it reads to me as well, but I have a sneaking suspicion there's a bunch of people who genuinely think it's a sincere, honest and wise way of living.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I've always loved Zits, and I'm glad that it keeps being great.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Garfield Classic (June 25, 1988)

Another good Garfield that becomes even better if you take away his thought bubbles. I just love that look he gives you in the last panel.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I take it to mean that you don't treat everyone like a criminal who's trying to scam you, but you still want to check up now and again due to human nature.

For example, I believe that most of my students are honest and won't cheat on tests, but I still set up the room to forestall human temptation. It's not that I think they're inherently dishonest, but I also account for human weakness.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

the last panel garf is me reading you're posts

Heeathcliff

Overboard

Monty

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This self-awareness that the sharks are eating sentient creatures and making fun of them for it is what's lacking in Kevin and Kell's hellworld.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

amigolupus posted:

This self-awareness that the sharks are eating sentient creatures and making fun of them for it is what's lacking in Kevin and Kell's hellworld.

Overboard is a heartwarming comic! Then you get the strips about Raymond the cat, who is a serial killer and the mice treat him as the terrible monster he is.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Holbrook's insistence that somehow his society where one class literally eats the other is superior to human society (even though otherwise it's exactly the same, except I hear he claimed there's no wars over there for... reasons. probably too busy hunting herbivores) is what really elevates the drekness of the whole thing.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
"Trust in God, but tie up your camel." And if we can't take The Golden Voyage of Sinbad as a source of wisdom, the world's done for.

Anyway, here's more Juliet Jones, in which we learn a bit more about Karen.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 24, 2020

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

This is exactly right. It's an old Russian proverb, that was popularized over here by Reagan, while he was negotiating with the Russians over disarmament.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars finally get to the damned titular characters

Powered Descent posted:

So her plan was "steal a big expensive ship and then smash it to poo poo for no reason"? I think I've spotted a couple of teensy flaws with that procedure.
That explains that, at least.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 28, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 18-19, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Jan 29-30, 2015)

Ah, memories...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 18-19, 1986)

Ooooo, man, this strip pissed my Mom off when I was a kid. I don't know if she was fully on the Satanic Panic "Ouija boards are wicked sin devices" train or what, but also invoking "God" in the comic strip was just too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick