Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/THETOMMYDREAMER/status/1219098922460897285

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Day 1 is Yankees cap. Day 2 is without it.

https://twitter.com/THETOMMYDREAMER/status/1218709205202481159

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
please :nms: tag those tweets, ty

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Wrestling fans who don't like Nick Gage are the worst wrestling fans.

People in the wrestling business who don't like Nick Gage should be blackballed. (But that's basically just JC, sooooo...)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm glad you're on the right side of this very important wrestling issue, bix.

Nick Gage is for the children, Nick Gage is for the everyone.

Nick Gage.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

We, as the kids say, stan
https://twitter.com/johnblud/status/1124904009993740289

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

nick gage killed allie kat in front of her mom and then gave her a piledriver after the match like a dick. he is mean and i hate him now

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is it ok if pre-prison I thought Nick Gage was an ok brawler and tag wrestler but thought he sounded like a psycho idiot and dismissed him as another death match moron, but post prison I haven't seen much of him but am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that he's grown up or gotten better at not living the gimmick and I'm just not that into death match stuff like much of the board seems to be?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah. He does a lot of not death match stuff too now. Check out his work in beyond.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Chuck Taylor has this story about how he'd go out and do some comedy opening match he hated and when he got backstage Gage would always be going like "Yes! That's the poo poo we need more of, man, you did great!" if he was there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah. He does a lot of not death match stuff too now. Check out his work in beyond.

Yeah, I enjoyed him in a lot of brawls and tag matches where they didn't get too deathmatchy. He seemed to just always be taking it up a level and losing me. And then he'd do CZW commentary where he'd sound drunk, call every pussies and slurs, and make me really not like him.

But like... that was a long time ago and a lot has happened to the guy so I'm happy to assume he's a different guy (or gimmick) now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why is his beard more gray in the second? Can he not afford permanent dye?

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

I vaguely remember on commentary they kept putting over the fact that Gage was really looking forward to his match vs. Shinjiro Otani at Spring Break last year, which that match was probably as far away from deathmatch wrestling as you can get and just shows his love for the business. And as mentioned, his Beyond stuff has been great, especially him in Nerder Death Kill. My favorite matches of his are the ones where he wrestles his opponent's style of match then will do a dash of deathmatch here and there. His match vs. Effy at a GCW show last year was one of my favorites of the year.

He genuinely seems like he's overcome his demons and just a really good dude, especially in recent interviews when he isn't kayfabing. But I could rave on and on about Gage forever. Plus his Twitter is always good for a laugh

https://twitter.com/thekingnickgage/status/1204560116642648066

https://twitter.com/thekingnickgage/status/1186863770544590848

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I definitely would like to hear more Nick Gage stories

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wish he would stop beating people up for being different.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed him in a lot of brawls and tag matches where they didn't get too deathmatchy. He seemed to just always be taking it up a level and losing me. And then he'd do CZW commentary where he'd sound drunk, call every pussies and slurs, and make me really not like him.

But like... that was a long time ago and a lot has happened to the guy so I'm happy to assume he's a different guy (or gimmick) now.
You'll probably like my Victory Journal about him from last year, although they didn't purge some of the weird print formatting so bear with it: https://victoryjournal.com/stories/there-will-be-blood/

(He's also actively good on commentary now when he does it, and is loving FANTASTIC calling death matches. And not even in a "Nick Gage is doing wacky commentary on insanity" way: He's tremendous at getting over the psychology from his lived experience.)

Huntman posted:

He genuinely seems like he's overcome his demons and just a really good dude, especially in recent interviews when he isn't kayfabing. But I could rave on and on about Gage forever. Plus his Twitter is always good for a laugh
There's more depth in my article, but: Even when in CZW together, Nick and his brother were not especially close as adults. When their mom died, Nick developed a terrible painkiller addiction and ended up homeless. The bank robbery was a spur of the moment thing with a note and no weapon, which is generally a crime of desperation committed by a jonesing addict. He got treatment in prison, and while it's one day at a time like with any in recovery, he's clearly in a much better place now. He does drink and smoke pot, which is not the 12 stepper way, but he doesn't appear to have any issues at all controlling his drinking. (And that does happen: You have "drug of choice" addicts vs. "anything/everything" addicts, and while it's not advisable per se, it's not exactly unusual for someone to be OK living that way, either.)

He's a good dude who has some problems, and he's doing his best to fight them. Watching him be the most beloved wrestler in the United States—and I don't think that's even arguable; others may be more "money" over for sure, but nobody else is close to as beloved by their fans—is an absolute delight. As far as recommendations to get an idea of what he can do outside of death matches:

vs. Mance Warner (AIW Slumber Party Massacre from Mania weekend 2019)
vs. Timothy Thatcher (GCW Presents Matt Riddle's Bloodsport from Mania weekend 2018)
vs. Killer Kross (GCW Presents Josh Barnett's Bloodsport II)
vs. Killer Kross (GCW I Can't Feel My Face from a few weeks ago)
vs. Slade (Beyond Wrestling Heavy Lies The Crown 2019 from New Year's Eve)
The Nerder Death Kill stuff from Beyond
vs. Kris Statlander (Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory episode...something)
vs. David Arquette (GCW Presents Joey Janela's L.A. Confidental — This has death match elements but, until Arquette freaks out at the end, is a great example of how well Gage can put a match together.)
vs. Tessa Blanchard (ICW NY Presents No Holds Barred Vol. 1)

There's more, but it's late and that's a good start. His Beyond stuff is easy to start with because it's all on IWTV with a subscription (and some of his AIW should be, as well), but plus some should be free on YouTube.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
rip thomas “the american dream” dreamer

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

davidbix posted:

You'll probably like my Victory Journal about him from last year, although they didn't purge some of the weird print formatting so bear with it: https://victoryjournal.com/stories/there-will-be-blood/

I was gonna save this article for tomorrow, but read through it anyways. I knew Gage had it real rough leading up to the robbery, but I didn't know he was homeless on top of it all. Also glad you mentioned Gage beating Pentagon because that's where he first reappeared on my radar post-release and him saying he'd fight any motherfucker in the parking lot then got in the faces of a couple of fans after the match was the first time I felt something real from a wrestler in a long time. I haven't been lucky enough to see Gage live yet, but you mention it when he was at SCI, whenever I watch him, the energy he puts out is just unreal. In the best way possible, he's like a cult leader. The fans go into a frenzy and I just buy into whatever he's selling.

I'm glad he got the treatment he needed in prison and it really helped him as well as having folks like Lauderdale on his side. In a way, I guess it's also good he got arrested when he did and getting released around the same time social media was blowing up for indie wrestling and streaming was becoming more of an option, making it a bit more feasible to do non-deathmatch stuff. Really hope Gage does well whenever he hangs the boots up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really want to give him a fresh look. I truly believe in redemption and personal growth. I just really am hung up on my memories of that old CZW Gage and the spurs and toxicity and unsafe ugly stuff he did with guys like Necro (like not gimmicks “deathmatch” stuff but vicious chair shots and leaps off stages and closed fist dick measuring punch outs). It’s my hang up and I can imagine the prison time might have even saved him from ending up like Necro or worse and let him come out better. I’m just kind of stuck on who he was.

I’ll give that a read tomorrow and try and give the guy the second chance it sounds like he deserves.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Wazzu posted:

Been fair to him, a Judge made the insane ruling that the spousal and child support payment should be $14,735/month. Do we know how that saga resolved? Not sure there was an update in the last 2 years.

Not an expert but presumably he was at the time and is making very very good money. That works out at 180,000 a year. He's making at least a million. How much worse should his kids live than him if he hosed off on them?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wazzu posted:

Been fair to him, a Judge made the insane ruling that the spousal and child support payment should be $14,735/month. Do we know how that saga resolved? Not sure there was an update in the last 2 years.
foh with that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why would making a lot of money mean someone should be allowed to abandon 5+ families before they begin having to make concessions over it. Well i guess i shouldn't have said this. since it was said a lot in shorter terms, and took over the thread in thanks to people like me having to get a word in. I'm sorry about my word getting. it felt good for a moment, but now it feels average. i won't talk about it again

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 20, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He bought a miniature horse while not paying child support.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Gumball Gumption posted:

He bought a miniature horse while not paying child support.

Obviously not rich enough for a normal sized one. :-(

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ikemen and his wife wore matching sunflower print at their wedding

https://twitter.com/syuri_wv3s/status/1219066999986253825?s=19

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't know what's more charming there, how dedicated Ikemen is to being Ikemen or the fact that literally everyone invited to his wedding were just his friends from HUSTLE/SMASH/WNC

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

I don't know what's more charming there, how dedicated Ikemen is to being Ikemen or the fact that literally everyone invited to his wedding were just his friends from HUSTLE/SMASH/WNC

That’s not everybody at the wedding, that’ll just be that group. There’s not always a group photo with 100% of attendees, but usually the couple get photos like this with “groups” - his friends, her friends, his work colleagues, etc. Pretty standard stuff here.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

That’s not everybody at the wedding, that’ll just be that group. There’s not always a group photo with 100% of attendees, but usually the couple get photos like this with “groups” - his friends, her friends, his work colleagues, etc. Pretty standard stuff here.

I looked through Ikemen's likes to find a picture of another group to demonstrate this and found it funny that one "group" is just Fat rear end Masa by himself

https://twitter.com/Masa_Anchan1971/status/1219112801131585537?s=19

Also got it confirmed that Ikemen was in fact sitting three rows in front of me at WK with his wife and dad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/KS_SAKU39/status/1219235632309919744?s=20

Sakuraba looking thrilled to see his old CHAOS pal Lil' Kazu

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Nick Gage is the best pure babyface in the business, and that is a great piece by Bix.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/1219281508738924545?s=19

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/laaficion/status/1218945212678115328

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/erickstevens82/status/1219294885355884544?s=19

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
wrestling fans and running away from being able to admit wwe does racist poo poo casually all the time. you'd think I'd be tired of it by now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://twitter.com/RJCity1/status/1219252957969100802

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/1219315702227722240?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

kick his rear end JR.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

selling cups of ice in the desert heat in the middle of nowhere is a good idea even if the ice melts. Thank you

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

All because he called out a dude who said he'd rather watch a Attitude Era Raw Tag match of Austin & The Rock vs Undertaker & Kane instead of Ciampa/Gargano vs Moustache Moutain as a dream tag match. I pegged the Attitude Era match as not lasting long & ending in a no contest with at least 2 run ins. I was off by a Bossman run in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

wouldn't ice sell... quite well in an Arizona summer?